Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kanos posted:

It's pretty rare that a perspective character hasn't managed to justify their existence by episode 7 of their show. I get that he's not meant to be the actual protagonist, but christ, the fat dude managed to figure out a huge portion of the secret Sota is sitting on by doing searches on Nico. I'm sure the big twist is something like he helped Suicide Girl create Altair or something along those lines, but when he suffered his little crisis of confidence he tucked her away and Suicide Girl took it badly. It would explain why he's so ridiculously whiny about his art and also why he's afraid to tell anyone this staggeringly important and useful information.

They probably should've translated the comments he flashes back to, but basically he got flamed real bad in response to making the drawing (they call him a dumb NEET and a plagiarist and all that). He obviously stopped drawing because of that. That's probably also why Suicide Girl committed suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darth Walrus posted:

I can't help but suspect that much of that was masterful adaptive scripting in the dub. They rewrote a lot.

I never watched the dub, but I'm pretty sure it was still well written. And goddamn concise, too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darth Walrus posted:

I can't help but suspect that much of that was masterful adaptive scripting in the dub. They rewrote a lot.

I watched the sub, it was great. The scene where Rock tells Revy to stop loving with him was amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

I never watched the dub, but I'm pretty sure it was still well written. And goddamn concise, too.

There were scenes where the whole gag was a character being a blowhard who talks too much that were more concise than the average Re:Creators exposition scene.

It's deeply weird.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I still think there's something going on with the animation studio/production process. The first episode was spot-on.

I'm still waiting for a better scene than Selesia jacking that car and figuring out how it works while driving. Character development and plot at the same time?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

They probably should've translated the comments he flashes back to, but basically he got flamed real bad in response to making the drawing (they call him a dumb NEET and a plagiarist and all that). He obviously stopped drawing because of that. That's probably also why Suicide Girl committed suicide.

Yeah this would have been kind of useful/important to read, though I appreciate the difficulty of subtitling a bunch of internet comments quickly flashing by and having it be comprehensible.

Knowing this makes me even more perplexed why they're having Sota be so damned cagey about telling them about the damned villain, though. "I got made fun of on the internet" is a pretty bad excuse.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Vengarr posted:

I still think there's something going on with the animation studio/production process. The first episode was spot-on.

I'm still waiting for a better scene than Selesia jacking that car and figuring out how it works while driving. Character development and plot at the same time?

I haven't seen a show do such a nosedive from the first episode in awhile.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ahaha after all the whining about exposition, the show triples-down by having one villain fight using words as weapons and another one called "Blitz Talker" :lol:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey man, at least "Blitz" suggests speed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Why does the grizzled old man who fights with a gun have the ability to fly? This seems fundamentally wrong to me, genre-wise. I mean, yeah, sci-fi, but not everyone needs to fly in fiction! Selesia flying is already kind of weird since she doesn't seem to use magic or anything!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Why does the grizzled old man who fights with a gun have the ability to fly? This seems fundamentally wrong to me, genre-wise. I mean, yeah, sci-fi, but not everyone needs to fly in fiction! Selesia flying is already kind of weird since she doesn't seem to use magic or anything!

Gravity manipulation seems to be his entire thing. I guess we're looking at a sci-fi/fantasy noir character like Batou from Ghost in the Shell or Hellboy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Gravity manipulation seems to be his entire thing. I guess we're looking at a sci-fi/fantasy noir character like Batou from Ghost in the Shell or Hellboy.

Batou and Hellboy can't fly either.

Flying doesn't fit well with grizzled.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Batou and Hellboy can't fly either.

Flying doesn't fit well with grizzled.

Well, there's always Hannibal King, the vampire private eye. He can fly. Harry Dresden could probably fly too, if he put his mind to it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it's not that it's implausible that he'd be able to fly with technology in a sci-fi setting, it's implausible that whoever wrote him would've given him that power, given the genre. Maybe Dresden could fly, but he doesn't fly because the writer never felt the need to make him fly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Anyway, I just find it really weird that more characters than not can fly. Magical girls and wizards? Sure, why not? A knight with a flying horse? Cool. Flying... magic-knight kinda person? A bit weird, but I can accept it. Whatever the hell Altair is? Okay. Flying grizzled old gunman? Now that's just a step too far. That leaves three people who we haven't seen casually flying around (Jojo, mecha pilot, and word-power user), and I'm pretty sure all of them will fly by the end of the show, because their power sets certainly allow it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? He reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist as much as anything.

His gimmick also reminds me of the caster gun from Outlaw Star, now that I think about it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

He seems to gently caress with his watch whenever he flies, so it's probably a gravity manipulation gadget or something along those lines. It feels a little out of character for a character who looks so hard-boiled, but it already feels weird for a character like that to shoot exploding gravity bombs out of a revolver instead of just shooting people to begin with.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
He just shoots people too, the gravity bomb got pulled out because talky girl was blocking all of his regular bullets.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, I know, it's just "gritty film noir hitman" and "loading a gravity explosive into a revolver" already don't scan together to begin with so gently caress it he has a flying watch too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I know, it's just "gritty film noir hitman" and "loading a gravity explosive into a revolver" already don't scan together to begin with

I certainly never got that memo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I know, it's just "gritty film noir hitman" and "loading a gravity explosive into a revolver" already don't scan together to begin with so gently caress it he has a flying watch too.

Nah, he'd fit in perfectly well with a WW2 setting with leanings toward the occult.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Just checked, and Pixiv seems to love drawing MUP, which is cute, in a meta way.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how is this

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mixed

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Of course the Madoka refugee does a grand heroic sacrifice to save the embittered, doomed warrior she's got an unspoken crush on.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

eonwe posted:

how is this

the loving best thing followed by an okay thing followed by nap time followed by a return to the loving best thing

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

eonwe posted:

how is this

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

eonwe posted:

how is this

Seems as though some are really unsatisfied with the pace and/or overly talkiness of some of the episodes, but so far i really like it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's good but not great. Feels like it has too many characters or focuses on too few.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was a really great explosion sound, and also a nasty cliffhanger.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I like Meteora. She's chill and cool in my book. The bits about her trying to figure out her role in the world was pretty nice.

Rui is bit of an rear end but he's alright. Wish we'd see him more often.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a kitten posted:

Seems as though some are really unsatisfied with the pace and/or overly talkiness of some of the episodes, but so far i really like it.

It wasn't just being talky. It was being the bad kind of talky.

David Mamet once wrote a memo about this kind of thing that made the rounds on the 'net. Basically, every scene should be dramatic. Every scene should be characters advancing to or being set back from a specific goal with clear, emotionally involving stakes. So, Ghost in the Shell's internet forum episode? Good. We know what both sides want (Information on the Laughing Man, with the Major having the side goal of preventing anyone else from piecing too much together.), we know what happens if they can't accomplish it (the Laughing Man's crime sprees continue, the Major has to arrest or kill some nerd for knowing too much.) and the whole episode is spent with people debating their way to their goal.

The Meteora exposition?

Abysmal.

There's no drama, and no conflict. They were already planning to take down MUP because come on, she could not be broadcasting "Would-be evil overlord" more if you paid her, so there's no practical change to anyone's goals if she's planning to destroy the universe or just drive up rents in Shibuya. No-one bounces off her, no-one has goals that get advanced or hindered because of the scene, nothing HAPPENS.

Also, the viewer surrogate is just the pits for the first half dozen episodes, minimum. Haven't caught up with the last few, but from what I've seen, he doesn't get better.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It wasn't just being talky. It was being the bad kind of talky.

David Mamet once wrote a memo about this kind of thing that made the rounds on the 'net. Basically, every scene should be dramatic. Every scene should be characters advancing to or being set back from a specific goal with clear, emotionally involving stakes. So, Ghost in the Shell's internet forum episode? Good. We know what both sides want (Information on the Laughing Man, with the Major having the side goal of preventing anyone else from piecing too much together.), we know what happens if they can't accomplish it (the Laughing Man's crime sprees continue, the Major has to arrest or kill some nerd for knowing too much.) and the whole episode is spent with people debating their way to their goal.

The Meteora exposition?

Abysmal.

There's no drama, and no conflict. They were already planning to take down MUP because come on, she could not be broadcasting "Would-be evil overlord" more if you paid her, so there's no practical change to anyone's goals if she's planning to destroy the universe or just drive up rents in Shibuya. No-one bounces off her, no-one has goals that get advanced or hindered because of the scene, nothing HAPPENS.

Also, the viewer surrogate is just the pits for the first half dozen episodes, minimum. Haven't caught up with the last few, but from what I've seen, he doesn't get better.

They've at least explained what his deal is - he's unhelpful to the heroes, but mostly because he's a giant blob of PTSD who's pretty sure he helped drive his friend/girlfriend to suicide, and can't admit his connection to Altair because it would involve admitting to the awful poo poo he believes he's responsible for. He's basically a somewhat sympathetic minor antagonist at this point.

Bad news is that it looks like they've killed off an interesting character who looks like they were set up to be part of one of the show's cuter couples.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darth Walrus posted:

They've at least explained what his deal is - he's unhelpful to the heroes, but mostly because he's a giant blob of PTSD who's pretty sure he helped drive his friend/girlfriend to suicide, and can't admit his connection to Altair because it would involve admitting to the awful poo poo he believes he's responsible for. He's basically a somewhat sympathetic minor antagonist at this point.

Bad news is that it looks like they've killed off an interesting character who looks like they were set up to be part of one of the show's cuter couples.

Ah yes, a child and an adult, what a cute couple. :geno:

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Mordja posted:

Ah yes, a child and an adult, what a cute couple. :geno:

this is anime, knight-lady is probably 17 at most

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

this is anime, knight-lady is probably 17 at most

Yeah, I figured she was pretty young - she reads very much as an angry teenager in over her head. Especially since her being a child soldier seems like exactly the sort of overwrought tragedy that her creator would dump on her.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Shiiiiit, dudes

I hope Mamika isn't dead and that she can see Alice again

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
New drinking game: Everytime Meteora starts saying some bullshit that everyone around her immediately accepts drink until she shuts up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sockpuppetclock posted:

New drinking game: Everytime Meteora starts saying some bullshit that everyone around her immediately accepts drink until she shuts up

Thanks, now I have alcohol poisoning.

• Locked thread