Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
WHAT IF World War One WAS IN COLOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They didn't have color photography back then, IDIOT

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

?

edit: I really do hate that dull bluish washed-out look. It looks like a freezing drizzly Wednesday afternoon in November and it's double PE this afternoon and you know it's going to be cross country running and it's just. so. loving. miserable.

Actually, this might be why I don't like the DC movies in general. Or my childhood.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 20, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's really sad that O Brother Where Art Thou?, a great movie, is responsible for all the lazy post colour correction in movies these days.

Some people are so used to it when they see a film that doesn't have it, it looks weird to them.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

twistedmentat posted:

It's really sad that O Brother Where Art Thou?, a great movie, is responsible for all the lazy post colour correction in movies these days.

Some people are so used to it when they see a film that doesn't have it, it looks weird to them.

Why O Brother? I always associated it with The Matrix. Is there some technical difference?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

He would have made a good Wolverine I think.

Supposedly his reps went to Fox and pitched him as the new Wolverine pretty hard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

drat, Fox are a bunch of dumb dumbs.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Unkempt posted:

Why O Brother? I always associated it with The Matrix. Is there some technical difference?

I believe O Brother was the first one two post-process the color of the entire film to give it that desaturated sepia tone.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
A recent Cracked article mentioned that digital cameras/film result in colors looking washed out, and then people go to do color correction, they're just not doing a very good job, either because they suck, they're lazy, or because it's become a trend to have things look drab and have an overall wash of blue or orange to everything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If they made color correction a technical Oscar category do you think more people would try to get better at it?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

A recent Cracked article mentioned that digital cameras/film result in colors looking washed out, and then people go to do color correction, they're just not doing a very good job, either because they suck, they're lazy, or because it's become a trend to have things look drab and have an overall wash of blue or orange to everything.

Things are shot that way (log c) with the intention of giving you the maximum amount of latitude for later corrections, which can make stuff look really really great. Getting that out of the camera a lot of times looks better than the crappy compressed/clamped color you're used to seeing, which might be why people think it has a more filmic look and never bother to grade. It also grows on you as you're monitoring/looking at dailies which might influence your intentions. Though most field monitors these days can have a reference LUT applied to them so you can see an approximation of what it would look like graded.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rantmo posted:

I believe O Brother was the first one two post-process the color of the entire film to give it that desaturated sepia tone.

Yep, it was. And in that it works. It looks hot, dry and dusty. Though with the blue filters, everything just looks drab and dour.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Traffic also used post process color timing for effect a year or two before O Brother. Used different timings for different locations and made it look great. Now it's just lazy most of the time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I remember thinking a lot of lower budget digital video Japanese films looked overly green to me, but that might be NTSC region differences, or even like street light methodology or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i3Xpo46CPc

This is pretty hilarious(side note, wouldn't recommend most of this guy's videos in general as he's pretty much an obnoxious fanboy, but all his videos that are just edited together clips of other people making fools of themselves is great)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

John Campea is the loving worst.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Having never heard of him before seeing that clip, I agree.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sockser posted:

I can't find a single photo of the flashback Kurt Russell on the entire goddamned internet and I want to fawn over his boyish good looks.

Someone help me out here.

Do a search for "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes". Or maybe try "The Quest" Which would be just about the age he would be in the GotG2, plus he had the Farrah hair at the time. See also http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074041/mediaviewer/rm1833342976

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Sockser posted:

I can't find a single photo of the flashback Kurt Russell on the entire goddamned internet and I want to fawn over his boyish good looks.

Sir perhaps I could refer you to any of the early Kurt Russell films?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Sockser posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

I suspect the idea is that he doesn't look like that in GOTG2. He's got a weird chin, as other people have said.
So did Leia in Rogue One. I'm not an expert, is it to make sure the real actor doesn't clip outside the CGI or something?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Idk he kinda looked like macready if he'd shaved.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This is awful.

Zach Snyder's daughter committed suicide, so he's stepping down from Justice League. Joss Whedon will finish the movie.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455?utm_source=twitter

Crazy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is awful.

Zach Snyder's daughter committed suicide, so he's stepping down from Justice League. Joss Whedon will finish the movie.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455?utm_source=twitter

Crazy.

There is already an insanely lovely take out there in twitter, by a comics pro at that :(

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

There is already an insanely lovely take out there in twitter, by a comics pro at that :(

Post it so they can be shamed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah name and shame that poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dang that sucks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Name and shame that fucker.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
He has since deleted the tweets and apologized, but it is Kevin Maguire

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is awful.

Crazy.

aw jesus, that's tremendously sad :(

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I may not like Snyder's DC vision but that doesn't mean I can't feel incredibly sorry for what he and his family are going through right now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Kevin Maguire

I'm not gonna hold it against him since he corrected, but that's a bummer.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I don't care how much you hate a movie, that level of emotional pain is more than most deserve. That's poo poo, I hope she didn't do it because everyone hated her dad's movies, she was 20 so I doubt it was that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, gently caress this guy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Unlucky7 posted:

fwiw https://twitter.com/CBNostalgia/status/866784892075384832

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

Yeah, gently caress this guy.

What a dumb thing to do. But it's pretty obvious if that's his reaction he didn't actually read the article. Still an idiot.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Setting aside the obvious callousness of celebrating this news, most indications are that Snyder was going to have a significantly diminished role in the DCEU going forward anyway, so it's just dumb and pointless on top of being sociopathic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

What a dumb thing to do. But it's pretty obvious if that's his reaction he didn't actually read the article. Still an idiot.

Yeah that's what I figured on that one, but after the second?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

I had no idea this had happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yikes.

• Locked thread