Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

X-O posted:

What a dumb thing to do. But it's pretty obvious if that's his reaction he didn't actually read the article. Still an idiot.

"Sorry for his tragedy, but thrilled he's gone"

Nah, pretty obvious he's trying to save face but just made it worse. You can dislike a guy's films, but only a total poo poo would downplay a grieving father's loss in favor of their own, ego-driven opinion. Like I said, gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Ignoring the part about Snyder stepping away, what does it say about DC that their go-to replacement is Joss Whedon?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Ignoring the part about Snyder stepping away, what does it say about DC that their go-to replacement is Joss Whedon?

He was already working on the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

Aphrodite posted:

He was already working on the movie.

And he'd begun pre production on the Batgirl film.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stanley Kubrick was unavailable.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jamesman posted:

He's a director they're already working with who has previous experience with this exact sort of movie so it makes sense.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jamesman posted:

He's slated to direct Batgirl already.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

This is awful news, which it has been a night for. I can't even comprehend what he must be going through. Respect to him for doing what he needs to do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jesus, that's terrible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man that really sucks. I have issues with his films, but he never came off as anything but someone passionate and enthuastic about his work, there's few things worse than what happened.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The moral of the story is that trying to come up with reasons why the thing you just said wasn't stupid and lovely inevitably does more to make you a terrible person than whatever you actually said.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rand Brittain posted:

The moral of the story is that trying to come up with reasons why the thing you just said wasn't stupid and lovely inevitably does more to make you a terrible person than whatever you actually said.

I called McGuire and rear end in a top hat on Facebook and a bunch of people are telling me to separate the art from the artist.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rhyno posted:

I called McGuire and rear end in a top hat on Facebook and a bunch of people are telling me to separate the art from the artist.

A lot of people are using that lovely excuse to try to make a Nazi writing Captain American books ok too. I don't get it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ojjeorago posted:

A lot of people are using that lovely excuse to try to make a Nazi writing Captain American books ok too. I don't get it.

Comic books are serious fuckin business I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

What does his art have to do with anything? People are so loving stupid.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Kevin McGuire is a horrible person.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kevin Maguire is from New Jersey. It's a meme that people from NJ are shitheads, right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

From everything that's known about Snyder he's a fantastic guy too. Actors love working with him, he's very respectful of their needs, storyboards his work personally, delviers films on time and at budget, a hard working and efficient craftsman.

I would have thought principal filming was done and we were just to editing at this point, but I guess not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

From everything that's known about Snyder he's a fantastic guy too. Actors love working with him, he's very respectful of their needs, storyboards his work personally, delviers films on time and at budget, a hard working and efficient craftsman.

I would have thought principal filming was done and we were just to editing at this point, but I guess not.

From the HR article it was, he was watching the rough cut and decided he wanted to add a few scenes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Principle photography has been done. JL is in post-production. Whedon was brought on board to film pickups and guide the film towards completion in post.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pickups are just different close ups during dialogue shots, or something like that?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pickups are just different close ups during dialogue shots, or something like that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pick-up_(filmmaking)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad to live in a time when I can witness the hot takes in response to Snyder needing somebody to cover for him while he deals with his daughter's suicide consisting of "HAHA, they got a better/worse director"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I'm glad to live in a time when I can witness the hot takes in response to Snyder needing somebody to cover for him while he deals with his daughter's suicide consisting of "HAHA, they got a better/worse director"

If anyone is truly taking that route with it, like Maguire above, then gently caress them. Who finishes it up isn't really important. Hell it isn't important if it's ever finished at all at this point. It's just a movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roth posted:

https://twitter.com/mintsanity/status/866781907945738245

It took ComicBookMovie.com 3 tries to get their headline right.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

He's a director they're already working with who has previous experience with this exact sort of movie so it makes sense.

teagone posted:

He's slated to direct Batgirl already.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up for me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It is a strange quirk of fate that Whedon is now going to be involved in both the Avengers and Justice League movies, but that's a really small part of the story.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

howe_sam posted:

It is a strange quirk of fate that Whedon is now going to be involved in both the Avengers and Justice League movies, but that's a really small part of the story.

Now he's the perfect choice for the crossover versus film

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, I just didn't understand that there was context for his involvement and was confused as to why they got "The Avengers Guy" to fill in on their "Totally NOT The Avengers Honest" movie.

There really isn't anything new I could say about Snyder's situation so I just wanted to talk about something less horrible. :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah. poo poo. This is sad and makes me feel sad. :saddowns:

I'm surprised filming hasn't been completed, to be honest. Feels like they've been at it forever. Heck, we've had two sort-of previews at this point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah. poo poo. This is sad and makes me feel sad. :saddowns:

I'm surprised filming hasn't been completed, to be honest. Feels like they've been at it forever. Heck, we've had two sort-of previews at this point.

Filming wrapped a while ago. It was only after viewing a rough cut that Snyder wanted to shoot some additional scenes. Whedon will be taking over duties of filming those, along with finishing the film in post.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure Whedon will respect whatever tone Snyder was going for. He's very particular about his own stuff but I think he tries to stick to other creators wishes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Though I suppose if Diana starts weeping about how she can't have children, we'll definitely know who to blame.

Awww yea that's right I went there and I said it so now no one else has to! :wooper:

(I <3 u Joss)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It happened in March, has he been off the film since then and they're just announcing it now or did he just soldier on for two months?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

zoux posted:

It happened in March, has he been off the film since then and they're just announcing it now or did he just soldier on for two months?

The article says Snyder was throwing himself into the work to try and cope.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Not a huge fan of the direction the DC movies have gone overall, and I'm cautiously optimistic about what Whedon will do with JL, but I'd never wish something like that on someone.

I met Snyder and his wife at the Man of Steel world premiere after party years ago and they were nothing but gracious and kind. Didn't blow me off, didn't talk to me forever or anything, but they actually chatted with me for a good 10 minutes before very politely moving on to other well wishers.

Decent human beings, terrible turn of events. Wish them all the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus, that's so awful for Zach Snyder. I don't give a poo poo about what that means for the movie, I just feel awful for the guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rick Sanchez posted:

and I'm cautiously optimistic about what Whedon will do with JL,

Whedon isn't doing anything with JL, he's filming what will amount to be like 1% of the film. It's still Snyder's film, he directed everything else.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rick Sanchez posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about what Whedon will do with JL

He's not going to do anything with Justice League. He's going to film a few small scenes/additional shots that he was hired to do before any of this happened, and then he's going to supervise the editing of the movie so it's as close to what Snyder wanted as is humanly possible. To do anything beyond that would be kind of monstrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Phylodox posted:

He's not going to do anything with Justice League. He's going to film a few small scenes/additional shots that he was hired to do before any of this happened, and then he's going to supervise the editing of the movie so it's as close to what Snyder wanted as is humanly possible. To do anything beyond that would be kind of monstrous.

And yet people are going to insist the parts they like/dislike are Whedon's fault/responsibility

• Locked thread