Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

not caring here posted:

It's amazing how the army manages to gently caress up something that you can do for 90 dollars in an afternoon with very little chance of any injury at all.

...dropping a light brigade into an uncontested area next to or near strategic objectives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

psydude posted:

This applies to so many things that I can't really tell what you're specifically referring to.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

...dropping a light brigade into an uncontested area next to or near strategic objectives?

Well that's not a thing you'd ever do anymore, so sure

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

What's near the LZ at Benning that is strategic? If it isn't near a DD214 then your post is wrong.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
So is Vahakyla the new bluesquares?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

So is Vahakyla the new bluesquares?

He's not nearly that kind of pretentious.

He's a turbo tard for sure, but he's ours.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I can't find it anymore but there's a great video of dudes on some COP in RC-East getting a JPADS drop, and the thing allllllllmost hits right on target until it misses just enough to land at the bottom of the loving valley.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I've had a similar experience. Was on a tiny rear end COP waiting to get a pallet of rip its and other goodies dropped by a C-130. One pallet landed inside the COP, but the rest landed in some farmer's field and five minutes later the thing was stripped bare by all the kids. Fuckers.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Our resupply drops always landed on top of a mountain. Every single goddamn time, there was always few dozen pallets scattered across the ridgeline. We just posted a few gun trucks, took off our kits, ran up the mountain and rolled everything down. Then hook it onto a humvee/ANP pick up and drag it the 1-2 miles back to our COP. Of course, doing it this way about 50% of our resupply was always destroyed or there was a trail of water bottles.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

TBeats posted:

I will donate $10 to any charity if you do this.

E: pics required

A Bad Poster posted:

Be sure to put "Thank you for your service" at the end of each.

Pay up suckers

Soulex posted:

I'll personally submit it to whatever social media sites I can think of with a link to the charity too.

Please do not post this elsewhere!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Where does it say thank you for your service?

Edit: oh poo poo there it is on the side

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
hahahaha awesome.

what charity do you want me to donate to?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

TBeats posted:

hahahaha awesome.

what charity do you want me to donate to?

:staredog: ASPCA :staredog:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
:five:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anybody here ever shot the gustav recoiless rifle?

I'm apparently going to shoot the thing and I've been told it's like receiving a full body punch.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I'm apparently going to shoot the thing and I've been told it's like receiving a full body punch.

I unironically always enjoyed it when FGOs came down to shoot fun guns with the line units. Mostly because the majority of O4s are chill once you remove them from staff hell.

e: I maintain that it's impossible to fire a M2 or a Mk19 without a smirk on your face.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

I unironically always enjoyed it when FGOs came down to shoot fun guns with the line units. Mostly because the majority of O4s are chill once you remove them from staff hell.

e: I maintain that it's impossible to fire a M2 or a Mk19 without a smirk on your face.

So have you shot this thing or what?

It's one of those situations where one of the SF teams has a lot of ammo to get rid of and so it's "everybody show up for training and then shoot this mountain of ammo".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There's a Finnish or Norwegian or some such light AT infantry guy who posts in the TFR Cold War/AIRPOWER thread who could answer your question.

A link to one of his posts so maybe you can post and get an answer or PM him or something:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768&pagenumber=1079&perpage=40#post471434554

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

There's a Finnish or Norwegian or some such light AT infantry guy who posts in the TFR Cold War/AIRPOWER thread who could answer your question.

A link to one of his posts so maybe you can post and get an answer or PM him or something:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768&pagenumber=1079&perpage=40#post471434554

Thanks.

They've also got a bunch of mortars we have to shoot up too. But that doesn't look like such a big deal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

So have you shot this thing or what?

It's one of those situations where one of the SF teams has a lot of ammo to get rid of and so it's "everybody show up for training and then shoot this mountain of ammo".

No, but I specifically associate it with the day the entire FOB (fuelers, medics, mayor's cell, everyone) took up defensive positions because the Taliban were positioning several 40,000lbs semi-truck bombs to attack us. The SF guys I was friends with were beginning to get a bit unnerved, which freaked me the gently caress out. F-15s and B-1Bs buzzing the area, and as I was running back from the TOC to my platoon the thing that made me somehow feel okay was seeing a two loving PFCs with Carl Gustavs strapped to their backs in one of the platoons from 1-504 from the 82nd that was sent to the base to act as the QRF.

As it turns out, it's hard to hide an entire trailer full of HME. The ANP and the SF managed to find all of them in the following weeks.

e: I think Pesticide20 was involved in that entire ordeal, actually.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 23, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

No, but I specifically associate it with the day the entire FOB (fuelers, medics, mayor's cell, everyone) took up defensive positions because the Taliban were positioning several 40,000lbs semi-truck bombs to attack us. The SF guys I was friends with were beginning to get a bit unnerved, which freaked me the gently caress out. F-15s and B-1Bs buzzing the area, and as I was running back from the TOC to my platoon the thing that made me somehow feel okay was seeing a two loving PFCs with Carl Gustavs strapped to their backs in one of the platoons from 1-504 from the 82nd that was sent to the base to act as the QRF.

As it turns out, it's hard to hide an entire trailer full of HME. The ANP and the SF managed to find all of them in the following weeks.

I'm pretty sure I know the exact dudes that you're talking about and I really don't think that you should have felt at all relieved.

Edit: I actually wasn't, but my friends/platoon/company was there. I was somewhere between Bagram and Bragg when that happened. I got sent back early because of my hosed up shoulder and so missed out on that bit of fun.

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 23, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

That's good.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Pay up suckers

Please do not post this elsewhere!

No problem. Where is the link? It's broken

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the exact dudes that you're talking about and I really don't think that you should have felt at all relieved.

Oh I'm sure they were retarded. I also saw the division engineer's assessment of what would happen if one of those loving things hit a 75% yield.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

No problem. Where is the link? It's broken

I'm gonna guess he deleted it, but he did write the ticket and post it. It was glorious.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Oh I'm sure they were retarded. I also saw the division engineer's assessment of what would happen if one of those loving things hit a 75% yield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYqZSrpUUk&t=5057s

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This, but unironically.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i love in the army now so much

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
In the Army Now is a loving documentary and I will not be convinced otherwise.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I got to hold one once when i went to an AT in japan

that was cool

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

spacetoaster posted:

:smugdog:

Yeah it's definitely not "recoilless" in practice. Enjoy getting the runs the next day too since the concussion shakes up your insides so much. Totally worth it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I will do the donation soon!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Rat posted:

:smugdog:

Yeah it's definitely not "recoilless" in practice. Enjoy getting the runs the next day too since the concussion shakes up your insides so much. Totally worth it.

So you're saying I should avoid shooting it more than once? I guess I'll know after the first time.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

No you should shoot it as many times as possible because it's goddamn awesome.

Totally worth getting the runs for. I mean that with no sarcasm at all. It's loving cool.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
On my first deployment the Gustav went to the retarded PSG in my company. Around the time this story takes place he put himself in for a Purple Heart because of a sliver he got during an attack on our COP. Our 1SG screamed at him for being an idiot, gave him a needs improvement on his NCOER, and eventually got him reassigned to some paper bitch job somewhere at the brigade level. Side note to this side note: This guy had the Audie Murphy medallion or whatever for being so hooah. The only reason he got the Gustav at all is the fact that he had been trained on it at some point in his career. He taught a lot of the guys in the company how to shoot it, just in case, but nobody got to fire it except for him.

The one time he actually used it in a firefight everything kind of went to poo poo, but in the least bad way possible. He was with his platoon on top of this small hill in our COP that had a "bunker" dug along part of it and was decently built up as a fighting position. A M777 used to sit in the center of the hilltop but since the COP was being turned over to the ANA and poo poo was getting torn down the M777 was on our HLZ waiting to get taken out on a sling load. High speed PSG saw one or two dudes firing on the hill from a wadi that was 200-300 meters away and decided this was his perfect opportunity, so he loaded up the Gustav and took aim. As he aimed he called the backblast area clear, checked it, then shifted around and decided to fire somewhere else instead. Since he already called backblast he thought he was good and loving let that round fly.

Unfortunately for him, at the same time that he fired the most retarded dude in that retarded platoon came running up the hillside. This guy managed to no poo poo get scurvy while deployed and because poo poo in the 173d is dumb, he got sent back to Italy. PFC Dumbfuck entered the fighting position at the top of the hill and ran right into the backblast. This idiot got loving thrown back down the hill he just ran up, hit his head and got a concussion. And he recorded the whole thing and shared the footage with some of the guys in his platoon. I guess I need to talk to some of those guys now and try find it.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Pesticide20 posted:

I guess I need to talk to some of those guys now and try find it.

gently caress yeah you do!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

that was cool

You look like this girl I was really trying to holler at for a while but she eventually dropped out of the military for some reason or another, turned lesbian and started smoking pot.

Edit: she was really cool, just not into me which sucked because I liked her. It also would have made Iraq so much more fun

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Soulex posted:

You look like this girl I was really trying to holler at for a while but she eventually dropped out of the military for some reason or another, turned lesbian and started smoking pot.

Edit: she was really cool, just not into me which sucked because I liked her. It also would have made Iraq so much more fun

don't doxx me

(hayyyyy)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

that was cool

Durrhurr hey there troop that weapon looks a helluva lot further than arm's length train like you fight hwuh?

*Shuffles rear end into TOC, pretends to know dick about cigars, buys a coin, does nothing, awarded bronze star*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm gonna guess he deleted it, but he did write the ticket and post it. It was glorious.

Yeah sorry but I didn't want to leave it up