Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I was very disappointed I couldn't cleave creeplord in half and take 8S or whatever back to the bunker to get un-creeplord'd :smith: Thanks Taro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

And then they all loving died. The End. :yokotaro:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Oh hey, it's Robot Leonard.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

chiasaur11 posted:

Good thing there's the ellipses at the end to confirm that they were definitely killed by machines. Sure would be awkward to think we couldn't always trust command and the council of humanity. Because we obviously can.

Glory to mankind.

There's so many obvious ways that your higher-ups are shady that I can't help but speculate on ideas...at least the obvious ones. I dare not say them out loud though because this is a Dark Id thread and I might actually be right.

Though I'm pretty sure my predictions will be wrong if only because they're too boring and mundane for the madness that is DrakeNeir.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Apropos of nothing; Id, what were your thoughts on Resident Evil 7?

On a more topical note, I tried to refuse that guy an embarassing number of times before I finally realized there was no other way to resolve that quest.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Yeah it definitely feels like there should be an alternate path in this quest, either turning the chips in to YorHa or just bisecting that creepy weirdo when you get the chance. It just feels like nothing gets resolved with the way it ends.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Apropos of nothing; Id, what were your thoughts on Resident Evil 7?

On a more topical note, I tried to refuse that guy an embarassing number of times before I finally realized there was no other way to resolve that quest.

Yeah, I think I tried heading to the bunker but no one there cares.

It's odd because there's another quest where you get some dangerous information and you actually get a choice about what to do with it.

How many questgivers have died so far because of their quests? This guy and the resistance member who wanted revenge. 11b's "friend" probably isn't long for this world. I guess the supply trader is doing ok. Oh, and the box pushing puzzle guy, he's fine so far, but his job is box puzzles so he's effectively dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Qrr posted:

Yeah, I think I tried heading to the bunker but no one there cares.

It's odd because there's another quest where you get some dangerous information and you actually get a choice about what to do with it.

How many questgivers have died so far because of their quests? This guy and the resistance member who wanted revenge. 11b's "friend" probably isn't long for this world. I guess the supply trader is doing ok. Oh, and the box pushing puzzle guy, he's fine so far, but his job is box puzzles so he's effectively dead.

Don't be so sure.

If I've learned anything from games, it's that people who design annoying puzzles are effectively immortal.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah it definitely feels like there should be an alternate path in this quest, either turning the chips in to YorHa or just bisecting that creepy weirdo when you get the chance. It just feels like nothing gets resolved with the way it ends.

That's :yokotaro: for us! Giving us stories with no actual morals or even a satisfying ending. In another game we'd either have the option itself or have someone burst onto the scene and let us sell them out

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Okay good it wasn't just me who got incredibly :stonk:-inducing creepy vibes from that dude and the Scanner unit when I played.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I think I hung around attempting to murder the both of them because ugggggggggh

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Holy crap, poor Scanner unit.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I was really tired when I did this quest. I honestly misunderstood at the time and thought the resistance android was trying to make a son, not have a creeptastic pedo relationship. Either way I was super creeped out by 8S' awful reactions so uh yeah. Good job 2B and 9S. Glory to mankind.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
I think it's valid to read it as the Resistance android wanting a son or even a little brother, honestly. I'm gonna do that because it makes me feel better.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Amidiri posted:

I think it's valid to read it as the Resistance android wanting a son or even a little brother, honestly. I'm gonna do that because it makes me feel better.

Agreed. The "P-P-Please" was meant as "Please don't tell anyone" and that's the story I'm sticking to.

He wouldn't have simply led off with "Hello" if anything untoward were happening.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I took it to be a family thing as well. Even if they aren't Yorha, the military androids on earth must live awful, lonely lives. Plus, what with the machines becoming smarter and starting to replicate humanity with the whole baby thing, I'd be surprised if androids weren't ahead of them, grappling with more complicated emotional issues instead of the early forms of mimicry.

It's still creepy as poo poo, but I don't think we should jump to the worst option just because Drakengard.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I'm sure the really ominous music that kicks in when you are introduced to the guy's family doesn't mean anything.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

It's mostly the "P-P-Please..." that rendered it into Creepy As gently caress territory for me (I'm deaf and can't listen to the music while playing :(), because the little guy is too damaged to either fully say "Please don't tell anyone" or "Please help me."

Then the e-mail you get afterward doesn't help- they find his body first, then the Resistance member. He could've been running away, then got caught by the machines, killed the dude himself *then* got caught... :tinfoil:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ultimately though, we'll never know the truth of the matter. (Brain)dead robots tell no tales.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I read the "hello?" as him being too broken to see or comprehend what's going on around him :smith:

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
Even if it is just a father-son thing and not a creepy sex thing, it's still a creepy awful scenario. The guy basically reanimated the corpse of a Yorha android and might have reprogrammed his personality. Even if it's not for the sake of sexual depravity, it's still loving horrible because, like... ew. Same reason why mind control is depraved. In other forms of media, someone who brings back the dead without bringing back the self is usually seen as, at best, a tragic villain. At worst, they're just horrible.

This quest was just really creepy, and I did not like it. Not because it was a bad quest, but because it left me feeling kind of unsettled.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Blink twice if you need help.
Wait...poo poo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

I took it to be a family thing as well. Even if they aren't Yorha, the military androids on earth must live awful, lonely lives. Plus, what with the machines becoming smarter and starting to replicate humanity with the whole baby thing, I'd be surprised if androids weren't ahead of them, grappling with more complicated emotional issues instead of the early forms of mimicry.

It's still creepy as poo poo, but I don't think we should jump to the worst option just because Drakengard.

The thing with Drakengard is the sheer variety of horrors in store for the unlucky bastards who live in the setting. So my take of the worst option is that though messed up, affection went both ways in the relationship until the mysterious forces killed them both.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Yeah, no matter how you slice it the whole situation is incredibly hosed up. The fact that there are so many ways it could have gone down in the end but we never find out exactly how just makes it even worse.

Props to Yoko Taro for finding new and exciting ways to make players feel uncomfortable for 14+ years! :shepface:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Yeah, no matter how you slice it the whole situation is incredibly hosed up. The fact that there are so many ways it could have gone down in the end but we never find out exactly how just makes it even worse.

Props to Yoko Taro for finding new and exciting ways to make players feel uncomfortable for 14+ years! :shepface:

There's a reason we call him the Dark Lord :yokotaro:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wonderslug posted:

Blink twice if you need help.
Wait...poo poo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As Hellraiser so aptly puts it, "We have such sights to show you."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the really ominous music that kicks in when you are introduced to the guy's family doesn't mean anything.

I thought it was implying the dude didn't know what he was doing and the S was just in constant pain or something. I didn't really get a weird sex vibe from this.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
That's the kind of quest resolution you just don't see in many games- unsettling, tragic, sort of pointless in the end. Whoever articulated the 'Yoko Taro as an auteur' theory was really onto something.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Momomo posted:

I thought it was implying the dude didn't know what he was doing and the S was just in constant pain or something. I didn't really get a weird sex vibe from this.

It isn't clear what's really going on in this sidequest, but the whole thing is just sketchy as gently caress.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Every sidequest in this game is thematically and/or plot-relevant in some manner. It's part of why I love it to pieces.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Well, uh, that sure was a loving thing that happened.

I think I just didn't return the chips to him when I played because I thought I'd get some sort of alternate reward for not being a complete idiot and just forgot about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When I played through it, it was definitely a more 'heelp this idiot hosed up my repairs'

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

EggsAisle posted:

That's the kind of quest resolution you just don't see in many games- unsettling, tragic, sort of pointless in the end. Whoever articulated the 'Yoko Taro as an auteur' theory was really onto something.

That may have been me? I remember writing those words at some point, at least. Maybe I'm a huge dick who is taking credit for someone else's brain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

apocalypticCritic posted:

That may have been me? I remember writing those words at some point, at least. Maybe I'm a huge dick who is taking credit for someone else's brain.

It might have been you, but I think it's a pretty common conclusion from a variety of independent sources. After all, what people generally mean by an auteur is someone whose work is immediately recognizable as theirs and...

Well, we got Drakengard 2 sitting there, a game which seems to primarily exist to show what happens to a Taro Yoko game without the Taro Yoko.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There's a reason we call him the Dark Lord :yokotaro:

Wait, poo poo, did I miss a meeting? I knew I forgot something, but I couldn't imagine it was the TY Appreciation Association Biannual.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hunt11 posted:

Wonderslug posted:

Wait...poo poo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

chiasaur11 posted:

It might have been you, but I think it's a pretty common conclusion from a variety of independent sources. After all, what people generally mean by an auteur is someone whose work is immediately recognizable as theirs and...

Well, we got Drakengard 2 sitting there, a game which seems to primarily exist to show what happens to a Taro Yoko game without the Taro Yoko.

To be fair, Drakengard 2 did at least get nice and hosed up in the endings. Then again that might come from the people who wrote it at least knowing all the endings to the previous game to help set the tone.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Eh, it all looks the same to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Every sidequest in this game is thematically and/or plot-relevant in some manner. It's part of why I love it to pieces.

I'm pretty impresses with that. It's doing the Witcher 3 "no filler, every quest is interesting" thing really well, arguably better than Witcher 3 did.

• Locked thread