Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Like, if crudity and violence and crassness and raw emotion make you uncomfortable, then I think it's safe to say that Rob Zombie is not for you.

Which is fine.

Like, yeah that scene in BT is brutal, but I find scenes in Devil's Rejects and Haloween 2 to be much, much more brutal and hosed up on an emotional level. I didn't care for BT a whole lot because I thought the writing was quite bad, even though the visuals were great.

Edit: actually, I would like to amend my statement: if you don't want to be made uncomfortable by those things, then Rob Zombie is not for you. Obviously there's nothing wrong with being made to feel uncomfortable by a movie.

I am not prepared to be dismissive of something because it makes me uncomfortable. Some of the best things in the world have being uncomfortable as their defining characteristic.

Try to get me to stop making calm.jpg everyone's desktop (I have a cult where we do this hit me up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All horror movies are comedies and all comedies are horror movies. Both transcend their genres.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MacheteZombie posted:

10 Cloverfield Lane

Was released as a science fiction psychological thriller film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Was released as a science fiction psychological thriller film.

Out of curiosity, how do you release something as that?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sir Kodiak posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you release something as that?

I think they tried anything to get the movie released.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I want to know more about why Blu rays are preferable to other formats, why some movies look like soap operas on some TVs, etc. Anyone know of any decent resources for that sort of thing?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I think they tried anything to get the movie released.

I was wondering what your comment was based on, how you determined they released it "as" that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I googled the movie name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Thriller and Suspense are just codewords for horror films that people enjoyed when they don't want to admit to liking a horror film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They are two subgenres that exist in the part of the ven diagram where horror and drama overlap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Thriller and Suspense are just codewords for horror films that people enjoyed when they don't want to admit to liking a horror film.

I have no problem with horror films and there are some films that are clearly "thriller" to me and others that are clearly "horror". But there are enough movies that blur the line that the terms aren't that useful or trustworthy if you have to absolutely split movies between the two.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 20, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Happy Hippo posted:

I want to know more about why Blu rays are preferable to other formats, why some movies look like soap operas on some TVs, etc. Anyone know of any decent resources for that sort of thing?

Could you not summon fishmech and the guy with the VLC avatar at the same time.

Our visual memories don't like remembering soap operas and remembering the habbit part 3 at the same time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I'd certainly associate "thriller" more with espionage and political suspense type stuff, instead of horror.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I googled the movie name.

Quite the process.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Horror is such a broad genre that it's almost meaningless as a qualifier. A Field in England, Bride of Frankenstein, and Cannibal Holocaust are all considered horror, but they're very different in terms of visuals, narrative, and intent.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Samuel Clemens posted:

Horror is such a broad genre that it's almost meaningless as a qualifier. A Field in England, Bride of Frankenstein, and Cannibal Holocaust are all considered horror, but they're very different in terms of visuals, narrative, and intent.

Isnt that true of basically any genre? Science Fiction runs from Attack the Block to Metropolis via Star Wars and Children of Men. Comedy is possibly even broader, unless you want to tell me the visual and narrative similarities between Spinal Tap, In Bruges, Planes, Trains and Automobiles and The Tramp. Genres NEED to be farily broad because you are trying to classify all films ever made into a small number of catagories. You can start to hyphenate ("comedy horror", "sci-fi-action") but honestly once you add more than 2 genres together it gets far too narrow to be useful for catagorisation.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah tbh horror, like metal, is actually one of the more useful genre descriptors, as people who are into one sub-genre of horror/metal are likely to be receptive to other things which fall under that genre umbrella

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah tbh horror, like metal, is actually one of the more useful genre descriptors, as people who are into one sub-genre of horror/metal are likely to be receptive to other things which fall under that genre umbrella

I'm just glad horror fans aren't as pedantic about their sub genre delineations as metal fans.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Happy Hippo posted:

Here's an article about the "soap opera effect". Basically: it's a feature of TVs that artificially adds extra frames to the film (called frame interpolation) to give it a smooth look. It's terrible and it's turned on by default on most sets, which is why everyone's parents' TVs look that way.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

SiKboy posted:

Isnt that true of basically any genre? Science Fiction runs from Attack the Block to Metropolis via Star Wars and Children of Men. Comedy is possibly even broader, unless you want to tell me the visual and narrative similarities between Spinal Tap, In Bruges, Planes, Trains and Automobiles and The Tramp.

Science fiction is bound by certain thematic constraints. I don't disagree that comedy is a very broad label as well, but films in that category all follow a specific goal, which isn't necessarily true for horror. You can't really make a good comedy that's not funny, but you can make a good horror film that's not scary.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Spatulater bro! posted:

Here's an article about the "soap opera effect". Basically: it's a feature of TVs that artificially adds extra frames to the film (called frame interpolation) to give it a smooth look. It's terrible and it's turned on by default on most sets, which is why everyone's parents' TVs look that way.

Whenever I'm at someone's house who has this on I wait for them to leave the room and then mash through the menus to find this dumb thing and turn it off. Nobody ever notices.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I visited my aunt and while I was setting up a Blu-Ray, I calibrated her TV and turned all that poo poo off.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
poo poo someone dig up that goons.txt quote from GenChat last week where the guy bragged about not getting laid because the girl's TV had frame interpolation on.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Someone should've told him that sex usually doesn't involve watching TV so if anything he should've tried even harder to get laid so he wouldn't have to look at the interpolation.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Someone should've told him that sex usually doesn't involve watching TV so if anything he should've tried even harder to get laid so he wouldn't have to look at the interpolation.

Maybe the way you've been doing it :colbert:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe it was like a documentary or like a how to video.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Look if there isn't motion blur on the extreme penetration close up I can't get hard

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you do it doggy style you can both watch xfiles

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If you do it doggy style you can both watch xfiles

Which stars a boy and a lady so there's something for everyone

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Spatulater bro! posted:

Thanks for this!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there any news about when Alex Garland's adaptation of Annihilation is supposed to be released?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

muscles like this! posted:

Is there any news about when Alex Garland's adaptation of Annihilation is supposed to be released?

A "vague 2018"

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-footage-of-alex-garlands-annihilation-looks-a-1793752626

I'm on the second book now and loving hell it's good (just like 33% done with it though).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Are the Alien movies horror, science fiction, or action? I just saw Covenant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yes

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Alien is horror.

Aliens is action.

Alien 3 is forgettable.

Alien 4 (whatever it's called) is more so, and horrible.

The Alien Vs Predator movies are war crimes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Horsciction.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Happy Hippo posted:

99% of the time it's because the TV isn't properly calibrated/set to exhibition mode.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

In Reservoir Dogs, why does Mr. Orange continue following the crooks after the heist went tits up? He just stood there when Mr. White greased those cops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yaws posted:

In Reservoir Dogs, why does Mr. Orange continue following the crooks after the heist went tits up? He just stood there when Mr. White greased those cops.

Shock, confusion, and thinking he can help bring those guys down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Whoops, wrong thread

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 9, 2017