Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Huzanko posted:

Love how Lovecraft buried this poo poo so deep that you only find it if you know Lovecraft was racist and if you're really looking for it - much like Alien really being about a huge lubed up penis loving everything it sees.

The rest of just see a bunch of weird poo poo going on and people getting owned by unknowable aliens.

Ummm dude have you ever read Lovecraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think the movie would be been better if there wasn't a xenomorph and only the new white aliens.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The fastest way to learn that Lovecraft is racist is to read Lovecraft.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The first time I read through the Necronomicon I lost count of how many times the blatant racism sucked me out of a story or made me cringe/roll my eyes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It will be interesting to see how these prequel films will handle Weyland becoming Weyland-Yutani.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

It will be interesting to see how these prequel films will handle Weyland becoming Weyland-Yutani.

I assume that they won't?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Ummm dude have you ever read Lovecraft?

Not a ton. I just took the aliens and monsters and unknowable things at face value. I don't exactly read my genre fiction very carefully and I don't care to.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not like, hidden in metaphors. He constantly talks about the inferior aboriginal yellow race of men who are polluting the world.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

It's not like, hidden in metaphors. He constantly talks about the inferior aboriginal yellow race of men who are polluting the world.

Maybe I've read way less Lovecraft than I think or just read the few short stories where it's not so blatant. I have no idea.

I'm more into Lovecraft inspired stuff than Lovecraft himself, though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Tenzarin posted:

I think the movie would be been better if there wasn't a xenomorph and only the new white aliens.

David Duke reviews Alien Covenant :laugh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Relax people, I'm Alt-Lovecraft.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

It's already Weyland-Yutani. Look at the shirts they wear.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Huzanko posted:

Maybe I've read way less Lovecraft than I think or just read the few short stories where it's not so blatant. I have no idea.

I'm more into Lovecraft inspired stuff than Lovecraft himself, though.

It's true there are some short stories that don't include that sort of thing. So yeah, I believe you when you say you didn't notice it. It's very possible. He's written an awful lot, so it's easy to point to his recurring, pervasive themes, but they aren't necessarily spelled out in each work.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Snak posted:

It's true there are some short stories that don't include that sort of thing. So yeah, I believe you when you say you didn't notice it. It's very possible. He's written an awful lot, so it's easy to point to his recurring, pervasive themes, but they aren't necessarily spelled out in each work.

I haven't read much but the foreward to the collection I had a while ago had a part that pretty much said "please excuse Mr. Lovecrafts virulent racism, he is very very old" lmao

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It's already Weyland-Yutani. Look at the shirts they wear.

IIRC in Prometheus it's still just Weyland. :haw:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Most of the stuff I've read of his has been in big compendiums along with a bunch of Lovecraft inspired stuff like that big "The Weird" collection.

Any time people have said his writing is super racist I just assumed they were talking about metaphors and allusions most people wouldn't pick up on. I had no idea he wrote something like "On the Creation of Niggers" because god drat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC in Prometheus it's still just Weyland. :haw:

Yes. And in that 10 year gap it became W-Y.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Yes. And in that 10 year gap it became W-Y.

I mean you know if the inbetween movie happens there'll be one of those short promo things like the TED Talk or the Last Supper one. It seems like something they could have stupid fun with.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Huzanko posted:

I believe this to be the case and the Engineer's disgust at David and subsequent desire to destroy human life seems to be a testament to it.

They tried to create something superior to themselves and failed spectacularly, as has David.

That unused dialogue from the opening of Prometheus someone posted got me thinking a bit. It mentioned the ability to create being taken away from the Engineers. I haven't seen Covenant, but I don't think we see any female engineers there either. Maybe the Engineers' creators took away their women, ie, their ability to recreate themselves, or even their biological genders, and the black goo is essentially their attempt to replace women?

That would definitely explain the Engineer's reaction to David, a "perfect organism" which cannot reproduce sexually. Especially with a woman being beaten right in front of his eyes, and an old man talking about how he's a "creator."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Not only do all of the engineers look male, but in Covenant, they're stagnant. They're walking around in robes and sandals like ye olde biblical times. The only technology present is what looks like a docking platform that David lands the ship at, and this is HUGE deal to the engineers who all run out in awe like the gods have returned.

In creating perfection be achieving a perfect state of being, they declined.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Hmmm I thought there were female engineers too but I certainly might be misremembering.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There are females.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

There wasn't a xenomorph, just the next version on the path to the xenomorph, from the (chronilogically) older white aliens.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gimme a loving break it was a xenomorph.

superh posted:

Hmmm I thought there were female engineers too but I certainly might be misremembering.

there were.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Snak posted:

I just assumed that, since it was a weapon, it was used by one faction against another faction. What you suggest is still what I thought happened. Why did his ship crash in the mountains if he was able to pilot it and do the genocide? And what happened to the other big vertical ship?

Good god lol

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

"Why did you create us?"

"Because we could."

*looks disappointed*

I mean, isn't that why we all exist? It's not like our parents made us for any other reason then they could. We all exist just because two people said "we could make a child so lets do so." That's the default state of existence.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Covok posted:

I mean, isn't that why we all exist? It's not like our parents made us for any other reason then they could. We all exist just because two people said "we could make a child so lets do so." That's the default state of existence.

Or moreover, evolution is a thing that happens because it can. A restatement of the anthropic principle, if you will.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I thought it was less a crash site and more a "You know where we can land a ship this big? Wherever the gently caress we want." Kind of situation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The further I get from watching it the more I think this movie was a disappointment. There's not a whole lot more to say about it, which is a sign that there's not much more to it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I thought it was less a crash site and more a "You know where we can land a ship this big? Wherever the gently caress we want." Kind of situation.

I mean, it can hover, as seen in the bombing sequence.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

I mean, it can hover, as seen in the bombing sequence.

[Lucas]Yeah but.....it can't when the colonists find it.[/Lucas]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The landing wasn't intentional. There is no way David would have crashed it I have no doubt he would have wanted to use it to spread his "seed" to other worlds given the chance.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Christ, Covenant was abysmal and reading this thread only confirmed it for me.

As I was walking out I couldn't help but think that this film is like someone trying to make an Alien film that fundamentally misunderstood what was charming about the originals in every sense.
There is absolutely zero mystery in Alien or Aliens, the desperate need to have some massive universe that is fully realized and flesh out is a perverse compulsion that has ruined film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Should never have landed on this drat ball, I know that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Covenant was good but flawed. I don't know if it was better than Prometheus but I liked it a lot. A couple of good genuine horror moments and others that were very memorable. I think David should be considered a sort of "landmark" character like say Hannibal Lecter.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
If you could somehow make a film that had all the tension and drama of the abortion scene in Prometheus and the lander scene in Covenant, you'd make something that could rival Alien and Aliens

For some reason these new movies can achieve brilliance for a handful of scenes but not really pull it all together

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Once Scott is done making them it will be interesting to see people try to create fan edits with all the stuff they find most important.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFYm8rChYao

This film is trashy but kind of fun. It's most impressive because it reuses a lot of set stuff from Galaxy of Terror, so unlike most Alien wannabes it actually looks pretty good at times. The music is so awesome, like I love Prometheus but how sick would it be if this was playing like while the mapping drones were flying around or something.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 23, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

Once Scott is done making them it will be interesting to see people try to create fan edits with all the stuff they find most important.

For me, all the deleted scenes are super important, and I still stand by that it was a mistake taking them out just to preserve a solid 2 hour run time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

For me, all the deleted scenes are super important, and I still stand by that it was a mistake taking them out just to preserve a solid 2 hour run time.

I'm seriously shocked that the last supper scene was just used as a promotional clip and not actually in the movie, "I'M BURNIN' UP!!!"

The extra bit of action with Daniels/Tennessee/etc. escaping, I'm surprised they cut the little action bit before that before the two reach the cargo platform. Instead of them just running to it they filmed both the other unkilled neomorph and the adult xenomorph giving chase. Daniels and Tennessee are basically running as back to back as they can trying to gun down both, they're able to gun down the neomorph but of course the xenomorph is too agile and they struggle with it further on the platform.

Some of the Prometheus/Covenant stuff I understand not making it into the film but knowing all the cuts were just for time I don't get. Like was anyone already not liking Covenant going to be like "actually it seems this film was exactly two hours, better tell my friends to see it!" Do theaters really lose out on that many extra showings if a film is two hours and five minutes instead of two hours?