Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

Last night I played a game where I killed literally every stone my opponent placed, but he just kept putting down stones, refusing to end the game. Eventually he stopped making moves and his time ran out, but the game never ended for some reason, so I just went to bed. I checked this morning and it had me as resigning, even though I was the last person to make a move. Why the gently caress would someone cheat at go? Like....really. Why.

What server? Usually you can report people like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VikingofRock posted:

What server? Usually you can report people like that.

pandanet-IGS. I reported him. Also, I just got promoted to 11k on pandanet! Progress!! Woop!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hi. My KGS name is pokie. Please add me, assuming that's still where people play.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Someone explain this poo poo to me

https://online-go.com/game/7277359

why play the game that dead for that long?

what's the goal? Hope I time out or accidentally hit the resign button?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pander posted:

Someone explain this poo poo to me

https://online-go.com/game/7277359

why play the game that dead for that long?

what's the goal? Hope I time out or accidentally hit the resign button?

Yes. Someone did this to me recently and somehow got his time to run out, but the game wouldn't end, so I just went to bed and it somehow recorded as ME resigning.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

areyoucontagious posted:

What does your go schedule look like? Do you play every day? Read books every day? Do tesuji every day? I'm trying to get back in, and I'm trying to figure out how to stick with it this time.

I have on average 20 correspondence games going at all times, so i think about go and make a few moves every day. Trying to play a couple live games a week too. I read pro games pretty regularly, play out the openings on my board, and watch every dwyrin, sibicky and haylee video that comes out. If i had the time id ve playing a few games a day at least

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

areyoucontagious posted:

What does your go schedule look like? Do you play every day? Read books every day? Do tesuji every day? I'm trying to get back in, and I'm trying to figure out how to stick with it this time.

I check this thread whenever someone posts in it and I look over my roommates shoulder whenever he plays a game or does tsumego on his phone

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yet im still only ~5k after over 3 years...

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

derp posted:

I've been playing my whole life and I'm only 11k :( but I've only been focusing and trying to get better for like two months now after a long break from playing, and before that I never really focused either.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Do you read any books, get reviews etc? 11k is where i got to 'Naturally' just by playing a lot. Got stuck there for a while then read fundamentals and went up 3 stones pretty much over night

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

derp posted:

Do you read any books, get reviews etc? 11k is where i got to 'Naturally' just by playing a lot. Got stuck there for a while then read fundamentals and went up 3 stones pretty much over night

Yeah, reading books is how I've been improving over the last couple months, along with playing tons of games of course. I'm getting there! I beat a 9k player the other day, so I feel like I have hope for the future.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1756668/kgs-update

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just won a game by 0.5 points wherein I feel like I played pretty well throughout against a 12k player. I know it's some low rank nonsense but it was a great game so I uploaded the SGF for anyone who feels like watching a close one!

https://files.fm/u/xvg76x7k

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone have some good material for learning general good hobbies and practices? I’ve gone through the interactive tutorial in the OP, done a good chunk of problems at this site, and watched a fair amount of Sibicky videos, but it all seems a bit…above me? Like I’m missing the fundamental habits and not “getting” what I should be aiming for. I’ve been playing igowin, and seem to float back and forth between its 20k-16k range and can’t really seem to improve and I feel like almost no matter what move I make, it’s the wrong move.

I’m kind of at the stage where I know I need to aim for eyes and make good shapes and stuff like that, but how to actually go about doing that and what to avoid doing is what escapes me. Most stuff online seems to assume you either know all this stuff already, or know nothing about the game at all.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 4, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone have some good material for learning general good hobbies and practices? I’ve gone through the interactive tutorial in the OP, done a good chunk of problems at this site, and watched a fair amount of Sibicky videos, but it all seems a bit…above me? Like I’m missing the fundamental habits and not “getting” what I should be aiming for. I’ve been playing igowin, and seem to float back and forth between its 20k-16k range and can’t really seem to improve and I feel like almost no matter what move I make, it’s the wrong move.

I’m kind of at the stage where I know I need to aim for eyes and make good shapes and stuff like that, but how to actually go about doing that and what to avoid doing is what escapes me. Most stuff online seems to assume you either know all this stuff already, or know nothing about the game at all.

Opening Theory Made Easy is a great volume for this. I think you can find it online if you look; at least, I have a PDF of it I got somewhere, though I've bought the book like twice before as well.

Also, lose 100 games as fast as you can

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 5, 2017

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
can ya'll add me to whatever room is now the goon go coven?? username is Bl1tz

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hi can someone make me an admin of the OGS SA group? none of the current admins are ever in the discord room, or online on ogs really for that matter. except oiseaux, but there should be more than one!I'm jonasd on ogs.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
done

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Up to 11k+ now.....I know online go servers are hardly the best metrics for this, but I'm excited to see progress in my game! I just finished reading through the James Davies books 38 Basic joseki, life and death, tesuji, and attack and defense all the way through each, and I'm probably just gonna start over and do it again, repeatedly reading them until it's baked into my brain. I'd really like to claim shodan one day even if it's just on an internet server.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

derp posted:

4k after almost 15 years here, but I don't play very many games per year :|

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

3k after 3 years but most of that isn't active. :wave:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You guys must just have brains that are good for Go or something. :staredog:

I'll catch up one day, daggumit.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I've been "back" playing Go for a solid year now after 20-ish years off. I was hoping to get to SDK by the end of last year and in fact I did touch 9k for a short while. But right now I'm regressing hard to 12k. I don't feel like a 12k player, though. Most of my opponents at this level make critical influence mistakes that I would not. Not saying I'm some sort of master, but they easily fall for me throwing them a stone to capture while I steal 20 points of influence. Not sure where I belong, rank wise. But then again, I don't really care about nor think about it all that much.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll play you to warm you up, old timer. 9k is probably the best I have a chance of beating on my best day currently, and I constantly make critical mistakes in pretty much every area of the game

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I automatched for the first time in months, and managed to win. I have to say, this cheered me up a lot, since I've had a terrible cold for nearly a week. Also, I've said this before, but it feels so, so weird how little my being rusty affects my strength, relative to how severe it feels.

I played Black.

As soon as I played 9, I felt bad, because White A, Black B, White C doesn't seem good for me. However, White A, Black C seems okay for me? So is 9 a bad move or not?? :shrug:

I wouldn't've thought of White 14, but it seemed to work out nicely. I'll try to remember it.

I'm less sure I'd want to learn to play White 26.

Black 39 capturing the White cutting stone as soon as he offered it to me was a mistake, I think. If I play the 39 in the variation, I don't think White can save the stone with 40.

Anyway, back in the actual game, after White 42, I think 'A' may have been a good move I neglected to play.

I think I was supposed to invade deep with 51. With my cowardice, I got nothing.

Except then a bunch of crazy poo poo happened. I feel like White messed up somewhere… 70?

I think the game was still undecided until White 122 and especially 128. White eventually resigned.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Should mention that Xom remade ITGO on KGS. It's on the new games room list, so come join!

In personal go news it seems I have forgotten basically everything I know...

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
ITGO has returned!

KGS website is https://www.gokgs.com/

ITGO is a private room under Social; ask for access in https://discord.gg/aWTrnv4

Play games, get reviews, don't let the room expire!

Xom fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 15, 2018

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got promoted to 10k on pandanet :woop: and even won my first game as white against an 11k+ by 46.5 points! It is a good day. I need more go books to read, or maybe I'll just read the Davies series again to keep absorbing it.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
http://www.usgo.org/news/2017/05/alphago-ke-jie-match-schedule-released/
If I'm figuring right, opening ceremony in eight hours. AlphaGo vs. Ke Jie an hour and a half after that.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Do you guys ever play locally? I'm wanting to get some in person games going, but the only clubs are 45m-1h away at inconvenient times. Opening my own club is both intimidating and inconvenient since I only have a crappy board and no other gear. Plus I have no idea where to host since due to my childcare schedule I'm either playing way early or way late.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Xom posted:

http://www.usgo.org/news/2017/05/alphago-ke-jie-match-schedule-released/
If I'm figuring right, opening ceremony in eight hours. AlphaGo vs. Ke Jie an hour and a half after that.

In about 5 minutes we'll begin to know if AI will inherit the smoldering ruins of this earth and if the plots of all the Terminator movies will come true.

I'm rooting for AlphaGo!

Overwined fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 23, 2017

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Overwined posted:

In about 5 minutes we'll begin to know if AI will inherit the smoldering ruins of this earth and if the plots of all the Terminator movies will come true.

I'm rooting for AlphaGo!

Ooops, add 30 minutes. Machines really are better than humans.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
hi derp I reviewed your game: http://eidogo.com/#zZH2qSFR

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Xom posted:

hi derp I reviewed your game: http://eidogo.com/#zZH2qSFR

gosh thanks

I KNEW i could connect at the end there but i just derp'd it up. sigh.

thanks for your thoughts that was unexpected surprise :)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda wish the commentators stayed for the count. It looked like they were doing some pretty neat shuffle algorithm or something.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I kinda wish the commentators stayed for the count. It looked like they were doing some pretty neat shuffle algorithm or something.

I had no idea what was going on with the counting.
First I could kindof follow it, and then I started getting more and more convinced that she was just trolling or something.

What sane counting method does this to the board?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
You count the territory, and then you count the stones, and you add the two counts. (Then you subtract from 361 to get the opposing count.) Since the count includes the stones, you can remove stones during the first step to make the territory easier to count. (The increase in territory equals the decrease in stones.) The territory is also rearranged into rectangles to be easier to count. In the screenshot, the territory had already been counted, and the stones are being rearranged into blocks of ten to be easier to count.

Xom fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 23, 2017

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I can see how it must be daunting to play AlphaGo. It just coldly and nonchalantly tightens the noose, one point at a time. Then it makes an exchange and gives up 5 points to save 3 and you think you've got it. But nah, It was ahead by 10 and the exchange just shored up its other points, ensuring victory.

So far only that one wedge move my Lee Sedol has managed to "fluster" it.

elementc
Dec 2, 2015

areyoucontagious posted:

Opening my own club is both intimidating and inconvenient since I only have a crappy board and no other gear.

No need to worry about that. The difficult part is even finding people to play with consistently. Location really matters. I live across the river from a "major" city and pretty much 95% of the players are concentrated over there... about 40 minutes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Overwined posted:

I can see how it must be daunting to play AlphaGo. It just coldly and nonchalantly tightens the noose, one point at a time. Then it makes an exchange and gives up 5 points to save 3 and you think you've got it. But nah, It was ahead by 10 and the exchange just shored up its other points, ensuring victory.

So far only that one wedge move my Lee Sedol has managed to "fluster" it.

Does it win by the smallest margin possible on purpose? Like, did he actually come close to beating it or is did it just play ultra conservatively to maintain the one point lead that he never really had a chance to get ahead of?