Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tsietisin posted:

I was checking Twitter, there's a video of a girl having a nail pulled out from her leg/foot. Looks like it's going that way

I saw that video, it could have been shrapnel, hard to tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pochoclo posted:

What we know so far:

- Manchester is a city
- It's big but also on a bigger island
- There was an explosion
- 19 people died

BBC News has informed me so far that the arena possesses a main area, a ticket office, a box office, a foyer, a train station and an entrance hall, but we do not know in what combination these elements sit or what any of these elements might look like.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Tsietisin posted:

I was checking Twitter, there's a video of a girl having a nail pulled out from her leg/foot. Looks like it's going that way

So someone stood on a nail?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/866808613796540418

https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/866810899927109632

christ

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Party Plane Jones posted:

You do realize CBS/NBC/ABC/CNN are all international organizations who have foreign offices in London (and probably Manchester) right?

Yeah seriously, when I was living in Leeds and they raided the 7/7 bombers' house like a half mile from my house, there were vans all up and down the street with American news network logos (CNN, ABC, etc.). They're just as likely to get good info as anyone else

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lord of the Llamas posted:

So someone stood on a nail?

Plausible on a building site, slightly less so in a concert hall.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JFairfax posted:

how the gently caress does CBS know what was going on?

Just a friendly reminder: when the mosque in Quebec was attacked the US news media jumped all over it with a whole bunch of false bullshit as well. Dont let it get to you, its kind of their thing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theresa May must be in a real crisis right now. On the one hand, she wants to help out the children that have been injured. On the other hand, she doesn't want to feed them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Theresa May must be in a real crisis right now. On the one hand, she wants to help out the children that have been injured. On the other hand, she doesn't want to feed them.

She's going to make a big thing out of "suspending the campaign", ie trying to sort out the Tories' manifesto issues behind closed doors while also preventing Corbyn and Labour from holding the big events which are winning them support.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

Plausible on a building site, slightly less so in a concert hall.

People building and dismantling poo poo for shows? I can imagine people running out random doors might step on a nail?

Maybe I'm completely wrong but the utter lack of information we have feels like there's a super mundane cause and this will turn out to be a terrible accident.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Police have apparently found a second suspect device.

Jesus Christ. How can we have the final weeks of an election campaign in the aftermath of an attack like this?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866813662505447424

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

jabby posted:

Jesus Christ. How can we have the final weeks of an election campaign in the aftermath of an attack like this?

is there any precedent for delaying an election?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jabby posted:

Welp I guess I'm wrong? Ugh.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Welp I guess I'm wrong? Ugh.

I really hope you're right. Otherwise, the election is properly hosed.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Front page of The Guardian is now "Murder in Manchester" so take that how you will

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheRat posted:

I really hope you're right. Otherwise, the election is properly hosed.

He's wrong. It's a terror attack.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The UK press really dropped the ball on this one.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Now let's see how much of the recent "Corbyn is a terrorist sympathise" sticks in the next few days

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

The UK press really dropped the ball on this one.

They're trying to work out a way to blame that notorious terrorist sympathizer Jeremy Corbyn.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

We don't know if it's even an attack yet

But either way this is getting built up, and even if it turns out to be nothing the tone is gonna shift entirely to TERROR and UNSAFE LABOUR and so on

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Not to diminish the impact of this attack on the people/families involved, but this could literally not have come at a worse time for progressive politics in this country. I mean on the evening of one of the worst days the Tories have had during the campaign, something happens to spread more fear and drive more people towards their ideology.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I mean, it might be a death-to-traitors bloke.

But probably not :smith:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is why we shouldn't get our hopes up.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
70% Tory majority, full Police State Britain, hang in there guys this is gonna be some ride

Really sorry for the victims, but this is going to be hijacked to hell and back

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving terrorists.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

jabby posted:

Not to diminish the impact of this attack on the people/families involved, but this could literally not have come at a worse time for progressive politics in this country. I mean on the evening of one of the worst days the Tories have had during the campaign, something happens to spread more fear and drive more people towards their ideology.

Don't worry. it's what we are all thinking right now

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

We don't know if it's even an attack yet

19 people are dead, a second device has been detonated in a controlled explosion and armed police dragged someone out of a car.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

TTerrible posted:

19 people are dead, a second device has been detonated in a controlled explosion and armed police dragged someone out of a car.

or alternately,

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866816910612103169

this is still kind of uncertain af

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Rakosi posted:

is there any precedent for delaying an election?

If the public assassination of a sitting MP didn't delay the referendum last year this sure as gently caress won't.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

The second device was a discarded piece of clothing

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

In the land of the blind, the man with a really loud mouth is king

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/866814079675113476

Look at it. We got MURDER and ATTACK, then one of the bullet points is 'possible terrorist incident'. Is there a situation where it's not terrorism and that headline is still accurate?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
them skivvies went out with a blaze of glory, i hope

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Nothing concrete will likely be revealed fast. This is terrible, heartbreaking, and concerning as gently caress -- but it's important to not jump to any conclusions.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I love how we have 24 hour minute-by-minute news and the BBC has only just noticed JC tweeted a thoughts-and-prayers two hours ago. I thought every irrelevant scrap of info was meant to be being pored over?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

baka kaba posted:

Look at it. We got MURDER and ATTACK, then one of the bullet points is 'possible terrorist incident'. Is there a situation where it's not terrorism and that headline is still accurate?

Surplus of crows overloads transformer?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

or alternately,

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866816910612103169

this is still kind of uncertain af

Popped up on the BBC just as I posted that, but I think performing a controlled explosion at such short notice is indicative of them already having seen one real device. I think it's incredibly safe to assume an actual bomb has gone off.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Please just let it be some horrible accident, that'd be bad enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

TTerrible posted:

Popped up on the BBC just as I posted that, but I think performing a controlled explosion at such short notice is indicative of them already having seen one real device. I think it's incredibly safe to assume an actual bomb has gone off.

Eh, from what I know from ordinance disposal procedures from the US, no, they blow up anything potentially suspicious.

• Locked thread