Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

caberham posted:

Wait what you can use apple pay for trains and metro?

Not that I would unless it's some auto top up feature

You can top it up online with a credit card. I think you can set it to auto top up as well but I'm not sure about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I have a Manaca card because my Japan life started in Nagoya :cool:

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I use Apple Pay instead of using a physical card like a chump.

Doesn't the iPhone have to be one purchased in Japan, though?

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
pasmo's mascot is weak af. icoca has an obnoxious little duck and i love it.

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

You can use pasmo on JR and vice versa.

I'm aware. My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Suica gets you slightly cheaper fares on JR than Pasmo does since the card is issued by them and they want you to ride their line, which is what I was referring to.

Saikonate fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 22, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ALFbrot posted:

I have a Manaca card because my Japan life started in Nagoya :cool:

Big ol' smiley face staring at you even though you never use the Meitetsu club.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Saikonate posted:

I'm aware. My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Suica gets you slightly cheaper fares on JR than Pasmo does since the card is issued by them and they want you to ride their line, which is what I was referring to.

Using an IC card will be a little cheaper than using cash. Otherwise the costs have been the same for years (if not since the beginning). I'm sure they will have made a reciprocal agreement (I.e. Using Suica on the metro is not more expensive than pasmo either).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Doesn't the iPhone have to be one purchased in Japan, though?

This is true. A lot of Japan's stuff is based off a really old standard for NFC pretty much nothing else uses, so Apple only bothers to put it in Japanese iPhones.

The curse of early adoption.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

This is true. A lot of Japan's stuff is based off a really old standard for NFC pretty much nothing else uses, so Apple only bothers to put it in Japanese iPhones.

You got a source on that? I was planning on getting an unlocked phone next cycle, but that might put a new wheel on the wagon.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Magna Kaser posted:

It's FeLiCa and the NFC standard is supposed to be a superset of it. I think the block is software/firmware and Apple just wanted an excuse to discourage people from buying unlocked phones from overseas.

Stringent posted:

You got a source on that? I was planning on getting an unlocked phone next cycle, but that might put a new wheel on the wagon.
You can still get the Japan model unlocked. You just can't get it from outside the country. The model numbers for the 7 are A1779 (CDMA) and A1785 (CDMA) https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 23, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/25/13401092/apple-pay-japan-suica-felica-nfc This says you need an iPhone 7 or newer (NFC was added to the iPhone 6, but it doesn't support FeliCia) or an Apple Watch2 or newer (lol).

Mr. Fix It posted:

It's FeLiCa and the NFC standard is supposed to be a superset of it. I think the block is software/firmware and Apple just wanted an excuse to discourage people from buying unlocked phones from overseas.

You can still get the Japan model unlocked. You just can't get it from outside the country. The model numbers for the 7 are A1779 (CDMA) and A1785 (CDMA) https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

From what I've read DoCoMo and Sony made the phone version of FeliCa, so it is might require a proprietary chip and it almost definitely has a licensing fee to use it. Makes sense Apple doesn't want to pay that for the phones not sold in Japan, which is the only big region to use it. (Hong Kong also uses it for Octopus Cards but they developed an app that uses normal NFC you can use with your phones).

Also it stops you from importing a dastardly phone where the camera sound can be muted!!

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 23, 2017

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Sugoca is pretty cool! It's sugoi but in Hakata-ben!

No one cares about Kyushu though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I have an Icoca and the masoct is awesome and the word pun is good.

However, I regret not picking up a Kitaca while in Sapporo because the flying squirrel is so cute.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Came to post Kitaca as well, wife uses that exclusively because of the squirrel

IIRC a condition of compliance with the NFC standard is support for FeliCa.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

caberham posted:

Wait what you can use apple pay for trains and metro?

Not that I would unless it's some auto top up feature

Apple Watch 2 and iPhone 7 or newer have a Suica app you can use with Apple Wallet.

It doesn't auto-top-up, but you can just add money in it from something else setup on Apple Pay easily. Takes about 10 seconds for me to add 10man to it.

e: or add 1man to it - that's probably more accurate

Aredna fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 23, 2017

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Magna Kaser posted:

Thanks for the confirmation. Now I don't feel bad about not grabbing the app while I was there.

Was super jealous of those folks tappin' their phones on the gates like a boss tho...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I ran into an issue where my metal Chase card was interfering with my IC card. Keep them separated.

It was me. I was the foreigner holding up the turnstiles. :(

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Something worth noting for anyone considering the Japanese iPhone (or any Japanese phone with a camera) is that you can't disable the shutter sound. Fine in Japan as all the phone are like that, but kinda annoying outside of Japan. You will get people going, "You know you can turn that sound off?" and such.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I can confirm that I have a passmo, suica, icoca, kitaca, monaca, and sugoca.

Also kyushu is cool and has some really good hot springs ok.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I was looking into the NFC/FeliCa iPhone stuff cuz I'm a huge giant dumb nerd and it seems like while technically the hardware in all iPhone's with NFC can support it (as people pointed out), it's a combo of a few things. There are (probable) licensing fees to Sony to actually "use" the tech, whatever sort of agreement they have with Suica itself because it's technically integrated with Apple Pay and not just a rando NFC-using app, and there are extra requirements from the Japanese government somehow only for iPhones and not for other phones with regard to this cuz the radio is stronger for something???.

Also found some quotes that Apple is actively trying to get non-Japanese iPhones on Suica and add more stuff like this so it can probably just be patched in when they decide to do it.

But yeah for now you gotta get a Japanese iPhone 7 or newer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Or just use an IC card like a normal person and not be completely hosed when your phone gets wet?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just have a STAR WARS case with a slot for a metro card

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
iPhone 7 is waterproof.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Phone posted:

Or just use an IC card like a normal person and not be completely hosed when your phone gets wet?

Lol plebs. What you should use is your View credit card with Suica built in.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Magna Kaser posted:

I was looking into the NFC/FeliCa iPhone stuff cuz I'm a huge giant dumb nerd and it seems like while technically the hardware in all iPhone's with NFC can support it (as people pointed out), it's a combo of a few things. There are (probable) licensing fees to Sony to actually "use" the tech, whatever sort of agreement they have with Suica itself because it's technically integrated with Apple Pay and not just a rando NFC-using app, and there are extra requirements from the Japanese government somehow only for iPhones and not for other phones with regard to this cuz the radio is stronger for something???.

Also found some quotes that Apple is actively trying to get non-Japanese iPhones on Suica and add more stuff like this so it can probably just be patched in when they decide to do it.

But yeah for now you gotta get a Japanese iPhone 7 or newer.

There is an actual physical FeLiCa chip inside of the phones that support it and it does have a license fee to Sony to put into it.

Apple isn't going to pay Sony for every phone it sells outside of Japan which is why they don't support it.

.Z. posted:

Something worth noting for anyone considering the Japanese iPhone (or any Japanese phone with a camera) is that you can't disable the shutter sound. Fine in Japan as all the phone are like that, but kinda annoying outside of Japan. You will get people going, "You know you can turn that sound off?" and such.

It's literally just software so if you decide to venture to the darker parts of the internet you can probably find what you need to flash it.

Also if you turn on Live photos it just makes the little "beep" like you get when a movie finishes.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think it might even be GPS/SIM based on some phones. I know I had it turned off before I got here, but now it's making the shutter noise and the option to turn it off is no longer there.

My phone camera kinda sucks though so it's not a big deal.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Aredna posted:

It's literally just software so if you decide to venture to the darker parts of the internet you can probably find what you need to flash it.

Also if you turn on Live photos it just makes the little "beep" like you get when a movie finishes.

itt pro tactics for upskirt chasers

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sony and Philips jointly develop NFC starting in 2002. Nokia, Sony, and Philips launch the NFC Forum in 2004. Later Motorola joins.

Sony goes off and makes the NFC Type F standard based on FeliCa technology they already had. These ones do require Sony chips to work, because Sony.

Philips makes NFC Type A. Motorola makes NFC Type B.

Japan eats up FeliCa because it's Sony's home turf. Helps because of players like Docomo and KDDI and Vodafone. JR East launches Suica in 2001 (like I said, FeliCa was Sony's existing tech). Then there's Edy, also used to be Sony. Now Rakuten. All kinds of railways launch their own cards based off FeliCa, blah blah

Meanwhile, Type A and Type B lead happy lives. Oyster cards and poo poo. Type A even makes its way to Japan, that's your taspo. Type B finds its way to your passport. But compared to FeliCa adoption in Japan, the rest of the world wasn't really using NFC. Eventually TypeA and TypeB become compatible, so they just call it TypeA/B.

Now here's where things start to get hosed up. Media and everyone start to call TypeA/B "NFC" and TypeF "FeliCa" because they needed to make a distinction between wireless technologies that weren't compatible with one another. Japan laughs it up because FeliCa is better (as a standard, it requires faster processing and can work from further away than Type A/B).

That would have been fine, except now you've got foreign phones coming to Japan. They only support TypeA/B, so Japan decides to just call that "NFC." You have confused consumers because seemingly similar tech doesn't work together.

Then magic happens and FeliCa announces in 2014 that they've made a single chip that can do TypeA/B, and TypeF. Apple finally gets off their rear end and the chip ends up in iPhone 7 that's sold in Japan. Notably, it doesn't end up in iPhone 7s sold outside of Japan. Apple is open about this. Japan iPhones are not god-like though, apparently you have to disable TypeF support to use TypeA/B.

So now you've got foreign Droids which use "NFC" and don't support FeliCa. You've got Japan Droids which contain the aforementioned chip from Sony but they're also calling this NFC. You've got the exact same loving iPhone which may or may not support FeliCa, depending on where you buy it. Everyone is confused as hell. Apple sure as poo poo isn't helping because Apple Pay is TypeA/B. Sorry, they can't patch that poo poo. Apple Pay adoption in Japan is really drat low for a reason.

In 2016, Sony says, this is a disaster. They go to the NFC Forum and say hey our TypeF is better, why don't we just all use that? Because it can handle more passengers faster, the NFC Forum agrees. The European Smart Ticketing Alliance and the American Public Transportation Association agrees. Apple regrets cheaping out on the chips in the non-Japan iPhones, since the NFC Forum agrees to use TypeF for anything new after April 2017.

As you can see I'm a bit salty about NFC. Avoiding situations like the above are exactly why "Forums" like the NFC Forum are created. epic fail

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 25, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I read an official govt tour thingie that said system compatability was achieved by updating the card readers at the turnstiles to just beep out 2-4 different kind of signals until they get a response.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Attempts to implement a shared standard between Sony and Apple ended in a clusterfuck? I for one am shocked.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

Sony and Philips jointly develop NFC starting in 2002. Nokia, Sony, and Philips launch the NFC Forum in 2004. Later Motorola joins.

Sony goes off and makes the NFC Type F standard based on FeliCa technology they already had. These ones do require Sony chips to work, because Sony.

Japan eats up FeliCa because it's Sony's home turf. Helps because of players like Docomo and KDDI and Vodafone. JR East launches Suica in 2001 (like I said, FeliCa was Sony's existing tech). Then there's Edy, also used to be Sony. Now Rakuten. All kinds of railways launch their own cards based off FeliCa, blah blah

Meanwhile, Type A and Type B lead happy lives. Oyster cards and poo poo. Type A even makes its way to Japan, that's your taspo. Type B finds its way to your passport. But compared to FeliCa adoption in Japan, the rest of the world wasn't really using NFC. Eventually TypeA and TypeB become compatible, so they just call it TypeA/B.

Now here's where things start to get hosed up. Media and everyone start to call TypeA/B "NFC" and TypeF "FeliCa" because they needed to make a distinction between wireless technologies that weren't compatible with one another. Japan laughs it up because FeliCa is better (as a standard, it requires faster processing and can work from further away than Type A/B).

That would have been fine, except now you've got foreign phones coming to Japan. They only support TypeA/B, so Japan decides to just call that "NFC." You have confused consumers because seemingly similar tech doesn't work together.

Then magic happens and FeliCa announces in 2014 that they've made a single chip that can do TypeA/B, and TypeF. Apple finally gets off their rear end and the chip ends up in iPhone 7 that's sold in Japan. Notably, it doesn't end up in iPhone 7s sold outside of Japan. Apple is open about this. Japan iPhones are not god-like though, apparently you have to disable TypeF support to use TypeA/B.

So now you've got foreign Droids which use "NFC" and don't support FeliCa. You've got Japan Droids which contain the aforementioned chip from Sony but they're also calling this NFC. You've got the exact same loving iPhone which may or may not support FeliCa, depending on where you buy it. Everyone is confused as hell. Apple sure as poo poo isn't helping because Apple Pay is TypeA/B. Sorry, they can't patch that poo poo. Apple Pay adoption in Japan is really drat low for a reason.

In 2016, Sony says, this is a disaster. They go to the NFC Forum and say hey our TypeF is better, why don't we just all use that? Because it can handle more passengers faster, the NFC Forum agrees. The European Smart Ticketing Alliance and the American Public Transportation Association agrees. Apple regrets cheaping out on the chips in the non-Japan iPhones, since the NFC Forum agrees to use TypeF for anything new after April 2017.

As you can see I'm a bit salty about NFC. Avoiding situations like the above are exactly why "Forums" like the NFC Forum are created. epic fail

Kami Sama

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But there is light down the tunnel right?

Type F all the way huh? I just want all metro and transport systems to use something like wechat pay or alipay. With multi currency and sending money

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I remember reading somewhere that TypeF compatibility is, or at least Sony is trying to make, mandatory for a device to be NFC Forum compliant. I don't think that's happened just yet though, case in point non-Japan iPhone 7. However Apple just calls their poo poo Apple Pay rather than NFC, maybe they don't care? And yet they're a sponsor of the NFC Forum.

Even NXT (formerly Philips) now sells chips that are TypeF compliant. So you don't necessarily have to buy from Sony.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 25, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

I liked this cool & good post.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

zmcnulty posted:

Apple regrets cheaping out on the chips in the non-Japan iPhones, since the NFC Forum agrees to use TypeF for anything new after April 2017.
So in theory the upcoming iPhones sold abroad are likely to have the correct chip to work in Japan?

If Apple open their stuff up and I can add my Suica and Aime cards onto my phone (upgrading this year when the new ones are out) before my next trip that would be sublime.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Osaka/Surrounding areas as recommended by thread was such a good time we're now planning a trip to Tokyo and maybe staying for a couple of weeks instead of just one, where's a couple of good places to visit when basing yourself out of Tokyo?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
What in particular did you like and what do you want to see more of?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wife liked the touristy stuff. Castles, temples, interesting landscapes etc. When we weren't out looking at those we did a lot of walking just looking around at the city and eating random street foods.

The only things set in stone right now are a trip out to see Mt Fuji and probably Disneyland to scratch her theme park itch.

We don't have any interest in Ryokan/Onsen unless it's a "you're gonna have to go a days travel out into the sticks to see *neat thing* and unless you wanna sleep rough you'll have to stay at an inn" scenario so that's not important at all, we both have visible tattoos anyway.

Since we're looking to go for a longer trip there's always the option of upping sticks and travelling further afield to see more stuff instead of just basing ourselves in the city for the full duration.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What season??

Fuji Q Highland. Nikko. Disney Sea is said to be better for adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, depending on the season it may also be worth heading out to the northern part of the country (basically about 1.5-3hours away from Tokyo). Mountainous landscapes and coastlines full of small off-shore islands should be pretty enjoyable if that's the kind of thing you enjoy. The autumn colours season would be best for exploration.