Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

baka kaba posted:

Look at it. We got MURDER and ATTACK, then one of the bullet points is 'possible terrorist incident'. Is there a situation where it's not terrorism and that headline is still accurate?
Yes - crazy person does crazy thing with no underlying ideological cause, like that guy who tried to assassinate Reagan because he thought that'd win Jodie Foster's heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

jabby posted:

Not to diminish the impact of this attack on the people/families involved, but this could literally not have come at a worse time for progressive politics in this country. I mean on the evening of one of the worst days the Tories have had during the campaign, something happens to spread more fear and drive more people towards their ideology.

As others have said, that's undoubtedly the point in most likely scenarios.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

LemonDrizzle posted:

Yes - crazy person does crazy thing with no underlying ideological cause, like that guy who tried to assassinate Reagan because he thought that'd win Jodie Foster's heart.

I think these days it'd be classed as terrorism.

Unless he's white I guess in which case you can assassinate someone in broad daylight and just be a bit of a funny sort so I guess you're right.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TTerrible posted:

19 people are dead, a second device has been detonated in a controlled explosion and armed police dragged someone out of a car.

Here's some alternative explanations: there was a panic in a crowded venue; that's what happens when you find suspicious things in this kind of situation; that's a normal night out in Manchester

TTerrible posted:

Popped up on the BBC just as I posted that, but I think performing a controlled explosion at such short notice is indicative of them already having seen one real device. I think it's incredibly safe to assume an actual bomb has gone off.

Why would they wait around? Here's some other things our police have detonated in controlled explosions: a car one of them parked outside a police station, and I want to say a kebab

I mean I know a bunch of non-regulars are rushing in here to go IT'S TERROR CHRIS but nobody knows poo poo right now, and all they hype is loving things up

josh04 posted:

Surplus of crows overloads transformer?

:golfclap:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

This is all so hosed

But also:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/866817907526959105

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Shades of 4 Lions here in what "suspicious item" means.

They blew up an item of clothing that looked suspicious, but that doesn't mean it was a suspicious item.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Here's some alternative explanations: there was a panic in a crowded venue; that's what happens when you find suspicious things in this kind of situation; that's a normal night out in Manchester

The police are treating it as a terrorist incident. The police have seen the injuries people have and the inside of the arena. They are unlikely to look at people with crush injuries and blame terrorism.

baka kaba posted:

Why would they wait around? Here's some other things our police have detonated in controlled explosions: a car one of them parked outside a police station, and I want to say a kebab

Suspect packages usually spend (comparatively) long cordoned off while people hem and haw. They don't blow up abandoned coats with a ten minute warmup.

baka kaba posted:

I mean I know a bunch of non-regulars are rushing in here to go IT'S TERROR CHRIS but nobody knows poo poo right now, and all they hype is loving things up

I pop back in here when big things happen because I got bored of reading people bitching back and forwards with pissflaps on every page. Non regulars hurrr. How many posts do I need for my opinions to be valid :rolleyes: We do know some things, but people are absolutely desperate for it to not be a bomb and I don't get it. I'm not screaming "It's must be Muslims!! hang em all!! saint nigel!!"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2017/may/23/dashcam-footage-apparently-shows-manchester-explosion-video

It wasn't a crush.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

TTerrible posted:

people are absolutely desperate for it to not be a bomb and I don't get it.

If it's a bomb it's the beginning of a thousand-year tory reich.

Well, if it's a bomb from an arab, asian or black person, or someone affiliated with ireland in any way. The only way it isn't is if it's a british nationalist (doubtful, they must realise they're getting everything they want at this point) or a lone nutjob who really hates teen pop or something.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That's some fantastic evidence you've got there.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The police are literally calling it an explosion :psyduck:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TTerrible posted:

The police are literally calling it an explosion :psyduck:

And as we know, explosions never cause panic and never leads to stampedes?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheRat posted:

They're never caused by bombs either I guess.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Maybe wait until morning chums. Speculation is pointless until there is actually some solid information beyond "the police are looking into this".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
This wouldn't have happened if May was prime minister.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

TheRat posted:

Lest it be known that TheRat will concede a bomb went off but that the only confirmed fatalities are from a crush they hypothesised. Blaming the bomb is racial profiling.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheRat posted:

Absolutely. I have no doubt that some of the injuries and even deaths are as a result of people fighting to get out. I'm just not buying that its not a bomb.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

TTerrible posted:

We do know some things, but people are absolutely desperate for it to not be a bomb and I don't get it. I'm not screaming "It's must be Muslims!! hang em all!! saint nigel!!"

I got a month probation after the westminster attack for highlighting how the preoccupation of most posters in the aftermath, at least from what their posts showed, were their preferences of politically ideal perpetrator. "Please don't be a brown person", "please don't be a bomb", etc... are pretty normal around here because this thread is about politics above anything else, in general.

Still a bit shaken that this has happened so close to my home, but what can you do.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lid posted:

Lest it be known that TheRat will concede a bomb went off but that the only confirmed fatalities are from a crush they hypothesised. Blaming the bomb is racial profiling.

You're dumb as a doorknob. Congrats.

TTerrible posted:

Absolutely. I have no doubt that some of the injuries and even deaths are as a result of people fighting to get out. I'm just not buying that its not a bomb.

It might very well be a bomb. The point is, we don't know anything at all. Police are treating it as 'a terrorist attack until we know otherwise'.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It was an explosion caused by the excess build up of energy from not brexiting hard enough.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Rakosi posted:

I got a month probation after the westminster attack for highlighting how the preoccupation of most posters in the aftermath, at least from what their posts showed, were their preferences of politically ideal perpetrator. "Please don't be a brown person", "please don't be a bomb", etc... are pretty normal around here because this thread is about politics above anything else, in general.

Thanks for the heads up.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
from the graun's liveblog:

quote:

Elena Semino, from Lancaster, was with her husband waiting for her daughter by the arena’s ticket office when the explosion went off. She has a wound on her neck and her leg is bleeding. She hasn’t been seen by a doctor yet as her priority was finding her daughter – which she now has.

“My husband and I were standing against the wall, luckily, and all of a sudden there was this thing. I can’t even describe it. There was this heat on my neck and when I looked up there were bodies everywhere.”

Her husband stayed behind to help an injured woman and has a minor injury. She ran to find her daughter in the auditorium.

Semino’s 17-year-old daughter Natalie and her friends said the performance had just come to an end when the explosion went off. “It went off and then there was a moment’s silence and then there were screams,” says Megan Ryder, 19. They say security guards initially tried to calm them down, saying it was a popped balloon or a technical difficulty.
So apparently that's where the whole "it was a balloon" thing came from.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

Quit the tag team poo poo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

LemonDrizzle posted:

from the graun's liveblog:

So apparently that's where the whole "it was a balloon" thing came from.

It's also that she was injured from outside the venue, at the ticket office, so there goes it was a crush theory.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Already some fuckos trying to take advantage of the news by spreading lies

https://twitter.com/GeraldoRivera/status/866804168106921984

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

Quit the tag team poo poo.

Tag team? That is the first time I've ever interacted with Rakosi. :stare:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lid posted:

It's also that she was injured from outside the venue, at the ticket office, so there goes it was a crush theory.

There were definitely crushes as people rushed to get out, and there was definitely an explosion in the box office.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Nonsense posted:

Already some fuckos trying to take advantage of the news by spreading lies

https://twitter.com/GeraldoRivera/status/866804168106921984

gently caress him.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

does it make it somehow better if most of the fatalities are simply from the aftermath of an explosion instead of the initial explosion? why are people so hung up on that

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mr. Despair posted:

does it make it somehow better if most of the fatalities are simply from the aftermath of an explosion instead of the initial explosion? why are people so hung up on that

Because if the explosion was an accident it can then be blamed on the audience, of you know, concertgoers and a lot of children. A tragic accident.

If the bombing was on purpose no idea what difference that makes.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I think what we are all hoping is that this is just a tragic accident and won't be used politically.

If it is anything malicious, the seeds have already been planted so no one has to say anything and things are already affected.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lid posted:

Because if the explosion was an accident it can then be blamed on the audience, of you know, concertgoers and a lot of children.

How about you go gently caress yourself, you massive thundercunt?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

how dare people not want this awful situation to be used to fuel a mass of reactionary rhetoric and bile

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
May is calling it a terror attack so that's pretty much that.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

thehappyprince posted:

how dare people not want this awful situation to be used to fuel a mass of reactionary rhetoric and bile

Some people consider it a bit cynical for first reactions to be people arzying about political ramifications when there is little information about who even did what, exactly.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

I've seen reports that rail services are cancelled, but also that lines are 'blocked'. Anyone know what that's about?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

TheRat posted:

How about you go gently caress yourself, you massive thundercunt?

How about gently caress the Timothy McVeigh mother fucker that you can entertain the idea did this to these people? Reports on Sky are that the wounded in hospital have wounds from shrapnel, I'm sick to death of people trying to create a more politically appeakling situation rather than be "who the gently caress did this poo poo". Stop lashing out at me.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

richardm posted:

I've seen reports that rail services are cancelled, but also that lines are 'blocked'. Anyone know what that's about?

Manchester Victoria station is right next door to the arena, so I'm assuming the shock of the blast may have damage the lines/tracks/caused some ceiling to fall, ect.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

J33uk posted:

May is calling it a terror attack so that's pretty much that.

Some thread experts are sure that it's not, so she might want to check her facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
what was the article of clothing the police blew to smithereens anyway, was it a somethingawful hat with the logo on it

• Locked thread