Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The government promises to save them during the GFC so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

starkebn posted:

The government promises to save them during the GFC so :shrug:

Yeah, and that can gently caress off as well.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Speaking of people that can gently caress off:

quote:

Adani indefinitely postpones final investment decision on Carmichael coal mine

Indian mining giant Adani has postponed its final investment decision on the Carmichael coal mine until the Queensland Government gives "clarity" over lower or deferred royalties.

A company spokesman said they were waiting for the State Government to advise on whether it would offer a lower royalty rate or deferred royalties.

The Adani board was to meet in India next week for final approval but has postponed the meeting.

State Cabinet had been considering whether to offer up to a $320-million discount on royalties.

It was discussed in Cabinet today but a decision was unable to be reached.

This afternoon, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk would not be drawn into revealing what was discussed in Cabinet.

"There is no Cabinet submission at the moment, our main focus today was on the budget - it was on a budget which is going to be handed down next month, focused on infrastructure and focused on jobs," she said.
The proposed royalty deal is understood to have caused division among Labor factions.

Deputy Premier Jackie Trad and Roads Minister Mark Bailey, from the Left faction, have publicly opposed any government subsidy of the mine and said that had been Labor's position since before the 2015 state election.

However earlier on Monday, Agriculture Minister Bill Byrne said royalty arrangements were being considered by the Government.

"Queensland Labor has always taken a sensible and prudent approach to resource development," he said.

Government indecision has put project at risk: Opposition

Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls said the Government's indecisiveness had put Adani's multi-billion-dollar investment at risk.

"Labor should have come up with a decision and they've failed to do so," he said.

"But their failure to come to a decision, their bitter internal divisions, their desire to say one thing in north Queensland and another in the south east, has led to the situation where Adani now is deferring its investment decision, and must be seriously wondering whether under this Labor Government the project should go ahead.

"[The Queensland Government] delayed and deferred it and the people that are paying the price are the Queenslanders that are looking for jobs in this sector."

Activist group Get Up said if Adani could not afford the project without a royalty holiday, it was not financially viable.

GetUp's Queensland campaigner Ellen Roberts accused the firm of trying to bully the Government.

"If Adani can't afford to build the mine without free water, free money and free coal, then Queenslanders can't afford to let them build it at all," she said.

Adani previously said the proposed $16.5-billion mine would create thousands of local jobs, and it was expected to produce 25 million tonnes of coal per year during its first phase.

The former Newman government granted the mine preliminary approval in May 2014, before it received federal backing five months later.

Numerous legal cases to stop the mine have been waged by environmental groups and Indigenous campaigners, but they have ultimately failed.

Over the last two years, the project has slowly stepped through the approval process for the mine and associated railway line to transport coal in the Galilee Basin to the Abbott Point port.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-22/adani-indefinitely-postpones-final-carmichael-coal-mine-decision/8548164

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

""If Adani can't afford to build the mine without free water, free money and free coal, then Queenslanders can't afford to let them build it at all," she said."

Ding ding ding.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
But the ALP needs those coal jobs so the northerns won't romp them out for the LNP.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

But the ALP needs those coal jobs so the northerns won't romp them out for the LNP.
What jobs? Once the mine is built, they'll all be out of work again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You only need the jobs for an election cycle.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

Actually, cfmeu (central coast area at least) are on board with renewables but are upset with alp because all these new solar farms are private/foreign companies. Coal=jobs is a media trope. Greens aren't getting up in place of alp because they don't talk to unions/don't campaign outside the inner city (like the alp).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I have spoken to thousands upon thousands of regional voters. They love renewables but if you ask them directly they will all admit that Coal is better for the economy and jobs. Even when that probably isn't true.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

What jobs? Once the mine is built, they'll all be out of work again.

Those jobs will all be 457 equivalent anyway and paid joke wages.

JBP posted:

You only need the jobs for an election cycle.

A promise of jobs. No need to actually deliver once you're in.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 22, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did you know Scott Morrison appeared in the game King's Bounty?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tithin posted:

Did you know Scott Morrison appeared in the game King's Bounty?

Well that explains the cartoon villainy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also his hijacking of that refugee vessel on the high seas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
it keeps happening

https://twitter.com/LachlanHeywood/status/866639502508412928

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
i told you about ashby, i warned you dog.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mfw this is Ashby's plan to lock up Pauline in jail again and become the new leader of One Nation in a epic Coup d'état

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Peter Cousins, father of BeautifulDaisy, played Menzies for a speech to an LNP dinner including Howard, Abbott, and Turnbull.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Solemn Sloth posted:

I get it through work. It's less bad than the other majors and the articles on Pauline's election trail were good for a cheap laugh

oh if i got it for free i'd still hold on, but after seven years subscribing there was a very clear and noticeable dip in quality and i'd rather hold on to the money i was giving to crikey to donate to other, smaller and better indie media orgs like new matilda

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
In a shocking twist - the number of complaints being high in the Inner West bus region being used as an excuse to privatise is in fact on par with the number of complaints of every region it's just that the area is busier so raw numbers look more impressive.

I'm aghast that they'd try to use deceptive logic to try and privatise a state run industry like this. What is this world coming to?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
And in case that isn't a good enough fix for you have a racist rant in Sydney trains.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

And in case that isn't a good enough fix for you have a racist rant in Sydney trains.

She wasn't even a Real Australian.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

We're a multicultural county here. Anyone is welcome to be white and yell at Asians / browns.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Mfw this is Ashby's plan to lock up Pauline in jail again and become the new leader of One Nation in a epic Coup d'état

Anyone else feel that it's alarming that there's an extreme right-wing party that is described internally as a "brutal dictatorship", and yet they have seats in several levels of government

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yelling at Asians honestly seems kind of passe in this day and age.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2017/05/dont-think-too-hard-about-this-economy-or-any-other/

quote:

“Stop Acting So Entitled”: Successful Adventurer Offers Advice On Breaking Into Housing Market, Crypts

House prices are skyrocketing in the major cities, and many young people are starting to feel like they’ll never be able to get their foot on the property ladder. However for one young adventurer, Grit Bladesworn, things are on the up and up.

With 45 properties to his name, 29-year old Grit is already enjoying a steady income and a relaxed lifestyle. His secret? Stop wasting money on frivolous things, and start breaking into abandoned tombs and looting them for gold and gems.

Bladesworn, already a millionaire despite only leaving his small village several days ago and venturing out into the world for the first time, says that a lot of people in his generation expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter.

“They look around and they think ‘I deserve to be rich, I deserve to have a magic sword’. But life’s not going to hand you a magic sword,” Bladesworn explained. “You have to go and get it from the dungeon in the forest outside the city.”

“Literally, it is just in the forest outside the city. You can just walk there and take it. I think I saw like seven of them in there, every second goblin has one. I don’t understand why everybody in the city doesn’t have a magic sword.”

“They are right there,” he added.

Bladesworn’s drive and attitude won’t come easy to the lazy and entitled youth of today, but he says if they want to make the best of it they need to avoid “wasting money on expensive cafe breakfasts.”

“I saved a huge amount of money by simply eating whatever I found on the bodies of my enemies or in their loot chests and storage barrels,” he explained. “You can even eat some of the enemies you kill, like wildlife for example. You can just straight-up eat them. I don’t think a lot of millennials understand that.”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I unironically agree with Bladesworn.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Kids these days don't even summon their own Avocado, they just buy it at the shop for 4 gold pieces!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I checked, all the tombs in this state were looted by the wealthy years ago, and none of the goblins here carry gold at all, all they ever drop is an entitlement card given to them in payment by their employer, the Benevolent King of the Forrest

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

haha this site is amazing http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2017/03/banjo-kazooie-is-racist/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I checked, all the tombs in this state were looted by the wealthy years ago, and none of the goblins here carry gold at all, all they ever drop is an entitlement card given to them in payment by their employer, the Benevolent King of the Forrest

Maybe stop bludging with the goblins and start negative gearing the area boss like the rest of us, leaner.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

I have spoken to thousands upon thousands of regional voters. They love renewables but if you ask them directly they will all admit that Coal is better for the economy and jobs. Even when that probably isn't true.

Simply because that's where government money is going: we like public industry and right now renewables are private only. If renewables became a public industry that's where the jobs would be, and where public favour would lie.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but now we are stuck in a feedback loop.

Renewables will never fully replace coal because all of the jobs are in coal because renewables will never fully replace coal.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

Yeah but now we are stuck in a feedback loop.

Renewables will never fully replace coal because all of the jobs are in coal because renewables will never fully replace coal.

...because the government won't fund renewables. But the unions know the game is up and want the "clean green future" to be public, not private.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Anidav posted:

Maybe stop bludging with the goblins and start negative gearing the area boss like the rest of us, leaner.

My area boss is just a palette swapped goblin. :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I rolled my stats but they're black and poor what do I do now?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This UK terrorism coverage is great at talking about how many people are hurt and how scary it all is while taking a break to tell us how the government is great and stops so many attacks.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

Reroll. AKA kill yourself.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

+2 to endurance
-2 to law enforcement rolls

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

+3 Cha (liberal white people that try real hard)
-3 Cha and causes terror (white people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Eric Abetz posted:

Revelations today that Yassmin Abdel-Magied has told a group of school students that she was treated “unfairly” over her unfortunate attempts to politicise ANZAC day demonstrates she actually meant what she said according to Liberal Senator Eric Abetz.

This statement accords with Ms Abdel Magied’s comments in September 2016 that:

“If I went around saying well, the ANZACS were kinda rubbish, you know like Gallipoli, what is that, I would get crucified.”

“While many took Ms Abdel Magied’s apology at face value these latest comments show that it was an insincere political manoeuvre rather than an acceptance of wrong-doing,” Senator Abetz said today.

“Clearly her comments were premeditated, carefully considered and now after the event she is speaking out of both sides of her mouth. Either her comments were wrong and inappropriate or they were correct and the coverage is unfair – she can’t have it both ways.”

“Ms Abdel Magied should immediately clarify what she meant by her statement and whether she stands by her apology.”

“I will also seek to establish at Senate Estimates whether Ms Abdel Magied’s government appointed mentor was consulted on these latest dissembling comments,” Senator Abetz concluded.

• Locked thread