Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

J33uk posted:

May is calling it a terror attack so that's pretty much that.

She hasn't yet. She's just repeated the same line about "what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack."

For whatever reason nobody knows yet, because if they did they would be shouting off the rooftops about it one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TTerrible posted:

The police are treating it as a terrorist incident. The police have seen the injuries people have and the inside of the arena. They are unlikely to look at people with crush injuries and blame terrorism.

Suspect packages usually spend (comparatively) long cordoned off while people hem and haw. They don't blow up abandoned coats with a ten minute warmup.

I pop back in here when big things happen because I got bored of reading people bitching back and forwards with pissflaps on every page. Non regulars hurrr. How many posts do I need for my opinions to be valid :rolleyes: We do know some things, but people are absolutely desperate for it to not be a bomb and I don't get it. I'm not screaming "It's must be Muslims!! hang em all!! saint nigel!!"

You're confused about why people don't want this to be a bombing?

The non-regulars thing was more about Americans rolling in to tell us the scoop from their terrible news channels, but the thread is suddenly hot at like 1am with people who definitely know it's a bomb. The police are treating it as a terrorist incident until they know otherwise - their words. You realise that means they're not confirming it as such, they're just operating as if it is, right? Which includes blowing up coats or whatever in the little park round the corner instead of waiting around for no reason

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

press conference at twenty to apparently

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Reminder to not believe poo poo from the media for 24 hours after any event because the media will just throw poo poo at the wall so they can say "we got it right first"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ugh the BBC keep discussing bag searches like no-one in the studio has ever been to a concert in their life. Apart from anything else, they're completely oblivious to the idea that if there was a bag check, it'd usually be conducted in the foyer and wouldn't have helped anyway.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Some thread experts are sure that it's not, so she might want to check her facts.

It's Muslim fanatic until proven otherwise these days, c'mon now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tithin posted:

Reminder to not believe poo poo from the media for 24 hours after any event because the media will just throw poo poo at the wall so they can say "we got it right first"

The media is coming from inside the thread

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

You're confused about why people don't want this to be a bombing?

The non-regulars thing was more about Americans rolling in to tell us the scoop from their terrible news channels, but the thread is suddenly hot at like 1am with people who definitely know it's a bomb. The police are treating it as a terrorist incident until they know otherwise - their words. You realise that means they're not confirming it as such, they're just operating as if it is, right? Which includes blowing up coats or whatever in the little park round the corner instead of waiting around for no reason

I'm sorry that my shift work pattern makes my late night opinion unpopular, I guess.

The police are treating it as as terrorist attack based on the injuries and crime scene they've seen. I don't get why this thread knows better.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

baka kaba posted:

The media is coming from inside the thread

gently caress!

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

No organisation has claimed it yet

minema
May 31, 2011
A bus just pulled up outside our hospital full of people who were wheelchaired into A&E this is surreal.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Rakosi posted:

Some people consider it a bit cynical for first reactions to be people arzying about political ramifications when there is little information about who even did what, exactly.

Naturally, no one would use this in the middle of a general election for their own ends. See: Tony Blair, morning of Diana's death. It not cynical, its just it has all been seen before.

I can guarantee when May heard of this she thought it a gift from God, and now she won't have to invade the Falklands with three apprentices on a lilo..

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 23, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TTerrible posted:

I'm sorry that my shift work pattern makes my late night opinion unpopular, I guess.

The police are treating it as as terrorist attack based on the injuries and crime scene they've seen. I don't get why this thread knows better.

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866808564316344321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Treating it as terrorism until we know it isn't = it's absolutely definitely terrorism 🤔

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Toxx for islamic terror

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866808564316344321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Treating it as terrorism until we know it isn't = it's absolutely definitely terrorism 🤔

Can you not accept that the police inside the venue have a good idea of what happened? People being interviewed are saying the floor is covered in buts, bolts and nails. Others are saying people have burn marks on their clothes.

EDIT:

buckets of buckets posted:

Toxx for islamic terror

I'll happily toxx for it being a bomb planted by a human being. I've not said anything about motivations or groups because nothing has been reported about that.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Trickjaw posted:

Naturally, no one would use this in the middle of a general election for their own ends. See: Tony Blair, morning of Diana's death. It not cynical, its just it has all been seen before.

I can guarantee when May heard of this she thought it a gift from God, and now she won't have to invade the Falklands with three apprentices on a pill.

Theres a tonal difference between lamenting the right's use of terror attacks and talking about how it would be preferable that kids got trampled to death or blown up by a transformer instead or something. The latter is cynical as poo poo after the event literally just happened.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rakosi posted:

Theres a tonal difference between lamenting the right's use of terror attacks and talking about how it would be preferable that kids got trampled to death or blown up by a transformer instead or something. The latter is cynical as poo poo after the event literally just happened.

Are you saying that hoping for an accident rather than an attack is a bad thing? That's really hosed up dude.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TTerrible posted:

Can you not accept that the police inside the venue have a good idea of what happened? People being interviewed are saying the floor is covered in buts, bolts and nails. Others are saying people have burn marks on their clothes.

EDIT:

I'll happily toxx for it being a bomb planted by a human being. I've not said anything about motivations or groups because nothing has been reported about that.

I don't think anyone's disputing there was an explosion chief. We're just hoping it wasn't a bomb

e- Rakosi you're a clown go to bed

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Speaking of rushing to conclusions; let's check in with the crazies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't think many regulars would claim they're not deeply cynical. I'm certainly not going to pretend the thought of this ensuring May wins the election isn't deeply worrying. More worrying than the attack which doesn't effect me beyond basic levels of empathy.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

May just suspended her campaign.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I don't think anyone's disputing there was an explosion chief. We're just hoping it wasn't a bomb

Yes, it was a coincidental explosion at the exit of the event just as people started to leave.

EDIT:

baka kaba posted:

Here's some alternative explanations: there was a panic in a crowded venue; that's what happens when you find suspicious things in this kind of situation; that's a normal night out in Manchester

What happened to this alternative explanation? You seemed to be angling for it just being a panicked stampede earlier.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 23, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Skinty McEdger posted:

May just suspended her campaign.

Nothing on the guardian

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

the parsing of that sentance seems off, or was he present and has a shiny new decoration in his head?

ahh, it was ukip wot did it.
they must be really desperate for votes.

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 23, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TTerrible posted:

Yes, it was a coincidental explosion at the exit of the event just as people started to leave.

So coincidental evidence then? Like I said, nobody knows what's happened, until we get an official statement it's purely speculation

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
explosion with flying nails, nuts, and bolts

no sirree, not a bomb!

lmao

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I wonder if the tories are worried about losing votes to ukip over this as labour are to the tories.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

tithin posted:

Nothing on the guardian

It got leaked to the AP by a senior conservative source. BBC is running with the story, other publications seem to be trying to get confirmation.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
D&D retards still trying to reason how this wasn't terrorism. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

So coincidental evidence then? Like I said, nobody knows what's happened, until we get an official statement it's purely speculation

The people who know what happened are treating it as a terrorist incident.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

L-Boned posted:

D&D retards still trying to reason how this wasn't terrorism. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Prime directive, fuckhead.

Luxury Communism fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 23, 2017

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Rakosi posted:

Look, dipshit, I'm happy you and your carer avoided what happened, but I in no way at all said kiddies get trampled is preferential to a terrorist attack. Its just the simple fact that this is a lovely opportunity for the Tories to appear all statesmanlike and tough. You know they will. Corbyn already has expressed sympathy, and I assume is waiting a bit before wading in. If this does turn out to be an Islamic attack, it will find new voice for ukip, and their odious policies.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

You know, I don't appreciate this thread normally being okay until something happens here and the Americans flood in.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

L-Boned posted:

No, it was a concert, even if you don't like pop music you don't have to exaggerate.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sinteres posted:

Some thread experts are sure that it's not, so she might want to check her facts.

Which experts are saying it isn't?

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I said as I rushed to D&D

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Baron Corbyn posted:

You know, I don't appreciate this thread normally being okay until something happens here and the Americans flood in.

Somewhere hakimashou sheds a single tear

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Luxury Communism posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a siren that alerts the mods every time I post in D&D. They also have another alarm for when fully automated luxury communism breaks out in the USA. It causes a lot of confusion, or so I'm told.

lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

baka kaba posted:

I just have best wishes, thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

They're convening COBRA at 9am. You should probably let them know it isn't neccesary as Greater Manchester police haven't tweeted "confirmed" yet.

• Locked thread