Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sleeptalker posted:

Holy poo poo did Ramirez actually turn?

He is probably only mad at Trump for giving the appearance of criminal status. "Trump damnit fake news is against you so hard right now, please stop doing innocent things that look bad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So do they have a unified response to this yet, or have they given up and are just doing anything they can to ignore the problem? Its weird to see the GOP lacking a single message, its been the one thing thats held them together as a political party for these past few decades, the power to ferment and disseminate a party line to use to answer anything they do.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well the thing is when they carefully craft their message there's 50/50 odds that the next day Trump will come out and say "no that message is wrong, the worst possible interpretation of my actions is absolutely the correct interpretation of my actions, interpret my actions as badly as possible" and what can you even do at that point.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

There's no doubt that he has a strong claim to Spider-Man, and probably had more influence on him than Lee did for a while there. It's also true that Marvel was pretty terrible about respecting the contributions of their artists, which is why MacFarlane and a bunch of others left to form Image (though they ultimately weren't much better).

Admittedly I went back and looked him up, and you're right. His argument just came across as "who even owns property, man?" than "I co-created Spider-Man."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

Well the thing is when they carefully craft their message there's 50/50 odds that the next day Trump will come out and say "no that message is wrong, the worst possible interpretation of my actions is absolutely the correct interpretation of my actions, interpret my actions as badly as possible" and what can you even do at that point.

"There have been many reports that President Trump hit a baby and took its ice cream cone, please ignore the fake news, he was merely pulling the cone away from the baby because it was covered with ants, and the baby hit its head on the stroller."
"Yes, I punched that baby, right its loser nose. Sad. I was missing one of my ice cream scoops, and the infant child had a big cone, a tremendous cone, and it was bound for failure folks, it was done. So I punched him, or her, who can tell with babies, am I right, and I took the ice cream scoop, and I ate it, and yes, it was covered with ants. I think you'll find that ants make the best jimmies. I know that the slang term for sprinkles, jimmies, actually comes from the Jimmy Fund, some kind of cancer research thing, and not the racist word, like the urban legend, but I meant it the racist way. Thank you, and God bless America."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

MelvinBison posted:

Admittedly I went back and looked him up, and you're right. His argument just came across as "who even owns property, man?" than "I co-created Spider-Man."

It's confusing, but I think "property doesn't exist" is the last thing an Objectivist would ever say.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

So do they have a unified response to this yet, or have they given up and are just doing anything they can to ignore the problem? Its weird to see the GOP lacking a single message, its been the one thing thats held them together as a political party for these past few decades, the power to ferment and disseminate a party line to use to answer anything they do.

The most honest response to this that I've seen is Chuck Grassley's 'suck it up and move on', and I think at some deep level it's the only response that the whole GOP could actually rally around.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Potato Salad posted:

He is probably only mad at Trump for giving the appearance of criminal status. "Trump damnit fake news is against you so hard right now, please stop doing innocent things that look bad."

The simplest explanation is that Ramirez thinks Trump is the worst thing ever except for the Clintons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Webguy posted:

The simplest explanation is that Ramirez thinks Trump is the worst thing ever except for the Clintons.

We'll probably see an inane Hillary cartoon from him next since he's embarrassed how upset Trump is making him and doesn't want to dump on him too much.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Fulchrum posted:

Alright, let's compare it to all those foreign systems that tried to completely overhaul their entire healthcare system from scratch overnight with a population the size of America's who are that pathologically opposed to taxes and big dramatic change.

Or all the hypothetical systems. In which case, single payer is lovely because it's not using magical rainbow unicorn wishes to make everyone healthy forever. What? If we have to ignore little drawbacks like "this will never pass", then why not ignore all drawbacks and just go with the system that gives the best outcome?

And no, that analogy doesn't work, cause Mass Effect Andromeda is a worse game than the Mass Effect trilogy, which is what came before it, you idiot. A good analogy would be last year's Doom. So, even though it's better than what came before it in every way and is making real positive change that people want, it's poo poo, because it's not Half Life 3. Nobody promised you Half Life 3. Half Life 3 is never gonna happen. But you want Half Life 3, so anything that isn't Half Life 3 is garbage and awful.

Mass Effect Andromeda isn't bad because it's worse than the rest of the trilogy, it's bad on its own merits, such as the animations not being up to par with the current standards of the industry, the story being inane, and the open world aspect bringing nothing new to the genre.
Much like PPACA is bad on its own merits, being decidedly inferior in terms of provided care and of prices when compared to other health care solutions worldwide, the ideological undepinnings of it being inane, and it not bringing the US anywhere nearer a good health care system.

MEA was still entertaining for a few dozen hours, so it did achieve some good stuff, but it also killed the franchise because it was so bad overall. And PPACA brought health care coverage to millions of uninsured, so it did achieve some good stuff as well, and it looks like all momentum towards a good health care solution has been stopped in its tracks. So while they're not The Devil, both MEA and PPACA were still bad and could have been so much better

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

:allears:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I think that Bors is a national treasure, guard him well.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i think i can predict what the next round of cartoons will be about

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Jurgan posted:

It's confusing, but I think "property doesn't exist" is the last thing an Objectivist would ever say.

Yeah, I actually think Ditko's argument was more of a "sweat of his brow" situation. He created one of the most iconic symbols of the twentieth century and goddamn it, he wants credit for it. No one remembers most of Stan Lee's writing beyond "my spidey sense is tingling" and the "with great power..." line, but billions of people will immediately recognize the costume Ditko drew -- the one on the Marvel stationary -- the one they're basically still using sixty years later. Spider-Man has been written and drawn many different ways by many different people, but the basic look of him -- the way he crouches, the way he walks up walls on his fingertips hands splayed out like little spiders, the webbing, the wirey frame, the weird bold off-kilter way he moves -- all of that is pure Ditko.

If I'd amazed millions with the best work of my career and had to give it up to company I resented while my more verbose and business-savvy collaborator reveled in the fame, fortune, and credit that had eluded me, I might go a little crazy too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bors is an anagram of orbs.

DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda isn't bad because it's worse than the rest of the trilogy, it's bad on its own merits, such as the animations not being up to par with the current standards of the industry, the story being inane, and the open world aspect bringing nothing new to the genre.
Much like PPACA is bad on its own merits, being decidedly inferior in terms of provided care and of prices when compared to other health care solutions worldwide, the ideological undepinnings of it being inane, and it not bringing the US anywhere nearer a good health care system.

MEA was still entertaining for a few dozen hours, so it did achieve some good stuff, but it also killed the franchise because it was so bad overall. And PPACA brought health care coverage to millions of uninsured, so it did achieve some good stuff as well, and it looks like all momentum towards a good health care solution has been stopped in its tracks. So while they're not The Devil, both MEA and PPACA were still bad and could have been so much better

So you think that the previous health care system before PPACA was better? No? Then that is a stupid loving example. The comparison only works if it's something where the previous iteration was worse in every possible way. So again, Doom.

Oh and, momentum to improving healthcare is increasing singularly BECAUSE of the improvements made by the PPACA and Republican efforts to kill it. If we had listened to dumbfucks like you, it's be the 90s all over again, and you'd see what squandering all momentum to change healthcare actually looks like.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 23, 2017

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Fulchrum posted:

So you think that the previous health care system before PPACA was better? No? Then that is a stupid loving example. The comparison only works if it's something where the previous iteration was worse in every possible way. So again, Doom.

What was there before was not better, but whether or not it was better is irrelevant to the point I'm making.
By your definition, a policy that would have merely provided health care coverage to an additional 10 people would be deemed "good". That's a terrible metric.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fister Roboto posted:

Bors is an anagram of orbs.

DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN

Orb's.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
It's gotten to the point that whenever I see the word "Fulchrum" on a page, my eyes glaze over and I just scroll until it's not there anymore.

It's a handy skill here, but it'll suck if I ever decide to take a basic physics or mechanical engineering course.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Arthur Crackpot posted:

It's gotten to the point that whenever I see the word "Fulchrum" on a page, my eyes glaze over and I just scroll until it's not there anymore.

It's a handy skill here, but it'll suck if I ever decide to take a basic physics or mechanical engineering course.

How about you stop mentioning him altogether if he annoys you so?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Avirosb posted:

How about you stop mentioning him altogether if he annoys you so?

whats a man gotta do to get a new thread title round these parts

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What was there before was not better, but whether or not it was better is irrelevant to the point I'm making.
By your definition, a policy that would have merely provided health care coverage to an additional 10 people would be deemed "good". That's a terrible metric.
No, then it would qualify as "barely better". But millions of people wouldn't be worried that they could die because Republicans are destroying something that's barely better, would they?

And the point you are trying to make is loving stupid. You can keep whining that America SHOULD work like a European country, or you can recognise that it doesn't and stop wasting everyone's time. You compare America to America, and recognise when something is a gigantic improvement.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Paper golem for page 451

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

No, then it would qualify as "barely better". But millions of people wouldn't be worried that they could die because Republicans are destroying something that's barely better, would they?

And the point you are trying to make is loving stupid. You can keep whining that America SHOULD work like a European country, or you can recognise that it doesn't and stop wasting everyone's time. You compare America to America, and recognise when something is a gigantic improvement.

Ah, American Exceptionalism, the ultimate refuge of the people who don't want stuff to actually change.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Debate & Discussion > Political Cartoons 2017: Mass Effect Andromeda isn't bad because it's worse than the rest of the trilogy, it's bad on its own merits, such as the animations not being up to par with the current standards of the industry, the story being inane, and the open world aspect bringing nothing new to the genre.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Debate & Discussion > Political Cartoons 2017: Mass Effect Andromeda isn't bad because it's worse than the rest of the trilogy, it's bad on its own merits, such as the animations not being up to par with the current standards of the industry, the story being inane, and the open world aspect bringing nothing new to the genre.

I am more partial to this one:

Debate & Discussion > Political Cartoons 2017: Sic transit gloria orbe

Rough translation: Political Cartoons 2017: Thus passes the glory of the world (orbe and world are synonymous, I believe).

No reason, I just like latin.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 23, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

An entire comic made of strawwomen!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Ah. Huh

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is the is new look for Zelda or the old one. I think it just doesn't look as good as the other style that shows up in that strip.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Made a small compilation to illustrate the concept of AGC, because most of the stuff on the tumblr is convoluted beyond belief:
http://imgur.com/gallery/hoJ5y

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I'm still fond of Debate & Discussion > Political Cartoons 2017: It's unnaturally unpleasant to look at.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Sometimes I play RPG games where my character is a female character. And some mmos are filled with idiots, so some of them subject my character with 0.001% of the attention womens get and is loving disgusting.

I don't know how women's live with that. It would stress me, break me. I don't think I would be able to live a entire day inside the skin of a women.

In the comic womens say that they would love to be tshirt-less, but because that would gain this type of attention, they can't. I can fully understand this feeling.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 23, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think topfree is a pretty good movement but I don't see it gaining any traction in my lifetime.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

What could Democrats have done to make it better, given that Republicans were in lockstep against it and Joe Lieberman's vote was needed to pass it?

What more should Democrats have been doing to move health care forward given that the successfull passage of the PPACA led to a Republican wave election that has stayed in power for six years in part by campaigning on the horror of the PPACA?

He's going to say Dems should have "messaged better", because Dem failure is only in not articulating their positions well despite every Democratic success from 1964 through today has been followed by a massive reactionary wave

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 23, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks for the video game analogies, sincerely

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

All momentum has been stopped? When the single-payer candidate put forth a strong showing in the primary? When California is on the verge of passing single-payer?

Programs like Social Security and Medicare are much, much better now than they were initially. But they were designed well enough that improving them was inevitable. The ACA is the same way.

It's not a coincidence that every time the Democrats failed to pass comprehensive health care reform in the 70 or so years before the ACA, the next effort was less liberal. And it's also not a coincidence that the single-payer movement has gained strength after ACA passage. Failure breeds timidity. Success breeds ambition.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tei posted:

I don't know how women's live with that. It would stress me, break me. I don't think I would be able to live a entire day inside the skin of a women.

Dunno buddy, you can fit quite a bunch of mice inside a person's body. We can't have you go suffocate in fatty tissue, now can we?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was never a fan of the "Zelda is inverse DBD" theory but the more consecutive days of beefcake fanservice it does the stronger that case gets

It's at least in inverse-Horsey territory by now

Shangri-Law School posted:

All momentum has been stopped? When the single-payer candidate put forth a strong showing in the primary? When California is on the verge of passing single-payer?

Programs like Social Security and Medicare are much, much better now than they were initially. But they were designed well enough that improving them was inevitable. The ACA is the same way.

It's not a coincidence that every time the Democrats failed to pass comprehensive health care reform in the 70 or so years before the ACA, the next effort was less liberal. And it's also not a coincidence that the single-payer movement has gained strength after ACA passage. Failure breeds timidity. Success breeds ambition.

This isn't as strong a pro-ACA argument as you appear to think it is -- usually you want to defend something on its own merits, and "it was such an obvious half-measure that it made people want to fix it" kind of feels like damning with faint praise

Also, the "momentum" from your first line is thanks to people making Flowers For Algeria's argument as publicly and loudly as possible soooo

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

What could Democrats have done to make it better, given that Republicans were in lockstep against it and Joe Lieberman's vote was needed to pass it?

What more should Democrats have been doing to move health care forward given that the successfull passage of the PPACA led to a Republican wave election that has stayed in power for six years in part by campaigning on the horror of the PPACA?

He's going to say Dems should have "messaged better", because Dem failure is only in not articulating their positions well despite every Democratic success from 1964 through today has been followed by a massive reactionary wave

Nuking the god damned filibuster

Shangri-Law School posted:

We'll see whether the ACA will have been deemed a success or a failure when Trump had finished loving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Also I was straining to make the vidja game analogy fit in order to troll Fulchrum, cut me some slack dammit

• Locked thread