Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I made the mistake of going on Reddit. Apparently everything will be solved if Islam was just banned from Europe. Did people feel like that during The Troubles or were just too many Catholics for that to be feasible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TTerrible posted:

They're convening COBRA at 9am. You should probably let them know it isn't neccesary as Greater Manchester police haven't tweeted "confirmed" yet.

COBRA gets convened whenever there's any large scale crisis, which this obviously is. It doesn't confirm anything one way or the other.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Aurubin posted:

I made the mistake of going on Reddit. Apparently everything will be solved if Islam was just banned from Europe. Did people feel like that during The Troubles or were just too many Catholics for that to be feasible?

Well it worked in the 12th century didn't it? The following centuries are renowned for their peace in Europe!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

COBRA gets convened whenever there's any large scale crisis, which this obviously is. It doesn't confirm anything one way or the other.

Cool.

baka kaba and I are talking past each other. The goalposts are being moved from "it's not an explosion" to "it's an explosion, but not a bomb"

If the calls not to hype things up and assume it was a terrorist attack had come in the first 15 minutes I'd have been in total agreement. What I can't wrap my head around is the hangup over Great Manchester police tweeting "confirmed: terrorism" given all the eye witness reports, videos, etc. This is the poo poo that gives D&D the reputation it has.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Well it worked in the 12th century didn't it? The following centuries are renowned for their peace in Europe!

Haven't you seen all the Deus Vult crap? That's exactly what they want.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Cool.

baka kaba and I are talking past each other. The goalposts are being moved from "it's not an explosion" to "it's an explosion, but not a bomb"

If the calls not to hype things up and assume it was a terrorist attack had come in the first 15 minutes I'd have been in total agreement. What I can't wrap my head around is the hangup over Great Manchester police tweeting "confirmed: terrorism" given all the eye witness reports, videos, etc. This is the poo poo that gives D&D the reputation it has.

Can you take your morbid bomb-wanking back to gbs?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheRat posted:

Can you take your morbid bomb-wanking back to gbs?

I don't actually want it to be a bomb you prick. I just want people to stop being completely ridiculous.

Also, I posted in here first because I thought it would be a sensible place to discuss it. Wowzer.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

TTerrible posted:

I don't actually want it to be a bomb you prick. I just want people to stop being completely ridiculous.

You first.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

You first.

Yes, its me the person that believes it was a deliberate bomb being ridiculous.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TTerrible posted:

Yes, its me the person that believes it was a deliberate bomb being ridiculous.

You believe but don't know, and your guessing helps nobody.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
It was a bomb.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

You believe but don't know, and your guessing helps nobody.

It's completely reasonable to assume its a terrorist attack given the reporting. I'm pushing back against being spoken to like i'm a loving idiot for doing so.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Come home, GBS man!

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
It had nails in it. A bomb with nails. A nail bomb.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TTerrible posted:

I'm pushing back against being spoken to like i'm a loving idiot for doing so.

Not idiot. oval office.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

Skinty McEdger posted:

The police say its a deliberate explosion and they are treating it as a terrorist attack. They also think they have an ID of the suicide bomber. Lay down your sword and apologize.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheRat posted:

Not idiot. oval office.

I'm a oval office because I can look at the reports coming out of Manchester and corrently deduce that it was a bomb. Are you aware that I didn't plant it, or want it to be a bomb?

Perhaps we could try having a discussion about the event rather than trying to work out who is technically correct about what is confirmed by Greater Manchester polices twitter account.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TTerrible posted:

I'm a oval office because I can look at the reports coming out of Manchester and corrently deduce that it was a bomb. Are you aware that I didn't plant it, or want it to be a bomb?

Perhaps we could try having a discussion about the event rather than trying to work out who is technically correct about what is confirmed by Greater Manchester polices twitter account.

Hm, yes, I definitely believe you're here for a serious debate after reading your posts in GBS. You''re totally not a massive oval office wanking over bombs, no sir.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

TTerrible posted:

I guess you weren't around the past few terrorist incidents but UKMT has a tendency of viewing these incidents as potential threats to leftism/Corbyn, and reacting as such.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheRat posted:

Hm, yes, I definitely believe you're here for a serious debate after reading your posts in GBS. You''re totally not a massive oval office wanking over bombs, no sir.

I posted in here first and got shat on so then posted in GBS out of frustration. I came to this thread to keep up with commentary on it because historically UKMT has been good to read during this kind of stuff.

shrike82 posted:

I guess you weren't around the past few terrorist incidents but UKMT has a tendency of viewing these incidents as potential threats to leftism/Corbyn, and reacting as such.

This is loving pathetic behaviour.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TTerrible posted:

huh, suspicious that you were adamant it was a bomb before it was confirmed as such and are now denying responsibility despite no one accusing you of carrying out this terrible act. Maybe you know more than you're letting on.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Lol jeez name calling huh

I tell you what guys if you only know like three facts apiece maybe go to bed or something and get the story straight tomorrow. I'm pretty sure deciding the future of religious tolerance can wait.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

this thread seems like p. solid proof that the right already won

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TTerrible posted:

It's completely reasonable to assume its a terrorist attack given the reporting. I'm pushing back against being spoken to like i'm a loving idiot for doing so.

If you don't like being spoken to like you're a loving idiot, you might want to try not being a loving idiot.

We don't know what the hell is going on yet, and "a random idiot on SA" isn't a very reliable source.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

If you don't like being spoken to like you're a loving idiot, you might want to try not being a loving idiot.

We don't know what the hell is going on yet, and "a random idiot on SA" isn't a very reliable source.

Everything I've based my opinion on has been from the police or eyewitnesses. That makes me a loving idiot?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TTerrible posted:

Everything I've based my opinion on has been from the police or eyewitnesses. That makes me a loving idiot?

Yes, because they're guesses. Guesses are not good information, which is what this thread requires.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

Nonsense, we know exactly what happened, we just want to know who to pin the blame on, my bets on a retired music teacher from Oslo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

staberind posted:

Nonsense, we know exactly what happened, we just want to know who to pin the blame on, my bets on a retired music teacher from Oslo.

Redheaded or not?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

Redheaded or not?

Bald as fk, but goes very red under the sun, sometimes has freckles at the end of summer.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Yes, because they're guesses. Guesses are not good information, which is what this thread requires.

Here is some factual, confirmed information:

There was an explosion.
The police are treating it as a terrorist incident.
Eyewitnesses report shrapnel injuries.
Eyewitnesses report nuts, bolts, screws in the area of the explosion.
Police carried out a controlled explosion on a suspect package that turned out to be discarded clothes.
The explosion happened in the foyer.
The foyer was the main exit for the event.
The explosion happened as people were leaving.
Counter terrorism units have responded.
The prime ministers statement was: "We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack."

I am a loving idiot oval office bomb fetishist for taking any of this to mean it may have been a bomb intentionally planted to injure people.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
A tuppence on Mordred's heir having resurrected Saint George's dragon as a dracolich to wage war on fair Albion anew.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TTerrible posted:

Here is some factual, confirmed information:

There was an explosion.
The police are treating it as a terrorist incident.
Eyewitnesses report shrapnel injuries.
Eyewitnesses report nuts, bolts, screws in the area of the explosion.
Police carried out a controlled explosion on a suspect package that turned out to be discarded clothes.
The explosion happened in the foyer.
The foyer was the main exit for the event.
The explosion happened as people were leaving.
Counter terrorism units have responded.
The prime ministers statement was: "We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack."

I am a loving idiot oval office bomb fetishist for taking any of this to mean it may have been a bomb intentionally planted to injure people.

Pretty much, yeah, because we don't actually have any evidence yet. The police are taking the cautious approach, as is expected. Your facts 1, 3, 4, 6 and 8 are not confirmed, and the rest could be explained as well by a water pipe bursting.

I mean I think it's likely this was a terrorist attack, but there's not enough info available to confirm it yet - and some of the "eyewitnesses" have already been caught lying.

All you can do is wait and accept we don't have enough information.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

endlessmonotony posted:

I suggest flipping on the news. Go to foxnews.com or something. Anywhere really they've all had a consensus for hours now. You will be more informed and not worry about whether "a random idiot on SA" is lying or not. This is really embarassing for you to call someone else an idiot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

tithin posted:

Reminder to not believe poo poo from the media for 24 hours after any event because the media will just throw poo poo at the wall so they can say "we got it right first"

Or as it was shorter said, this, except "from the media" is "in this thread" now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

I suggest flipping on the news. Go to foxnews.com or something. Anywhere really they've all had a consensus for hours now. You will be more informed and not worry about whether "a random idiot on SA" is lying or not. This is really embarassing for you to call someone else an idiot.

Eeeh, 7/10. The setup is decent, but you need to put work into concealing it.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

endlessmonotony posted:

Eeeh, 7/10. The setup is decent, but you need to put work into concealing it.

What am I concealing? You are acting like a crazy person. Like if your posts didn't have time stamps on them I'd guess they were made like 20 minutes after the intial report.

It was a nail suicide bomber outside the venue. The police and news have been saying this for hours. they have a probable ID on the person and they will probably release it in the morning. This whole 'we cant know if it was a bomb" troll is hours stale and its embarassing. I have to assume you are just being deliberately ignorant at this point.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 23, 2017

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

Pretty much, yeah, because we don't actually have any evidence yet. The police are taking the cautious approach, as is expected. Your facts 1, 3, 4, 6 and 8 are not confirmed, and the rest could be explained as well by a water pipe bursting.

I mean I think it's likely this was a terrorist attack, but there's not enough info available to confirm it yet - and some of the "eyewitnesses" have already been caught lying.

Alternatively, its 4:15 am and we will be hearing about this for ages no doubt. bugger all we can do right now but sleep.

AKA : night night.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know much about terrorism in the UK, do they have a history of lone wolf right-wing attacks like the US?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

endlessmonotony posted:

Yes a dozen are dead from a water pipe bursting. Tard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know much about terrorism in the UK, do they have a history of lone wolf right-wing attacks like the US?

Yes, Just Last June a sitting MP, Jo Cox, was assassinated by a white supremacist neo nazi. That if this is a bombing it could be another one by them would not be surprising and gently caress the fascist fucks.

• Locked thread