Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think absolutely everything is being done on purpose. HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Blockhouse posted:

the two extremes of bad TV posting in one thread

anyway I get being disappointed that this is morel movie lynch than tv lynch but I feel like the tv stuff is still there just not as prominent and probably won't be going anywhere? I mean jesus do you think lynch or frost wrote "James is cool" without knowing exactly what they were doing.

Fellas don't read those posts! You'll never guess- there was a pile of poo poo in the thread.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Glad to see this show is just as weird and confusing as the first time around. It's crazy how 90s this show looks, but in HD.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Everyone in this thread needs to read the David Foster Wallace essay on Lynch "David Lynch Keeps His Head".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think absolutely everything is being done on purpose. HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOO!

*points to self*

:downs: mr jackpots

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

*points to self*

:downs: mr jackpots

-hands you a five dollar bill- Call for help.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

spudsbuckley posted:

The new 4 episodes are completely in the tone of FWWM insofar as that they are arthouse dogshit for pretentious assholes to wank themselves senseless over whilst Lynch laughs himself to the bank over being able to sell a bunch of nostalgic garbage to morons solely by attaching his name to it.

This man is one of the greatest carnies of all time and everyone unironically enjoying this complete shite is an utter loving rube.

So when people like you type things like this, what exactly do you think you're accomplishing? Do you think I'm going to go "wait he's right, i've tricked myself until liking something"? Or are you just such an intellectual tryhard that you sincerely believe your subjective lack of enjoyment is objective truth? Or are you just an idiot?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

precision posted:

So when people like you type things like this, what exactly do you think you're accomplishing? Do you think I'm going to go "wait he's right, i've tricked myself until liking something"? Or are you just such an intellectual tryhard that you sincerely believe your subjective lack of enjoyment is objective truth? Or are you just an idiot?

This is a guy who thought Opie was a good radio host.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, David Duchovny

I'm so glad I didn't read up on any casting info. That and the other cameo from episode 4 were great.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So I would assume they're going to talk to Audrey? Maybe? Who else is close to Cooper that we know is in the cast? Also, the Cole and Albert scene at the end was oddly intense. Maybe my favorite scene so far.

Broken Cooper makes me sad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cossacks are in Russia!

Waiting a week between episodes is going to be pure agony :(

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Really enjoying the revival so far. The chocolate bunnies scene in the third episode reassured me that Lynch hasn't lost his sense of humor after all of these years, it was amazing.

Honestly, my only disappointment is the plot line with Cooper being a doddering cuckoo bird for two full episodes. I get the idea, but it's one of my least favorite plot devices because it always grinds things down to a slog and makes other characters look stupid. I'm hoping the coffee sparked his memory or at least his personality, but I would've loved for that to happen 30 to 60 minutes sooner. Twin Peaks works when Special Agent Dale Cooper is leading the way, not when he's a near-comatose mental patient.

Also, what the gently caress happened to Laura Palmer there? I thought she was brought to the White Lodge by her returning guardian angel or something. Was that her doppelganger?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Little Mac posted:

So I would assume they're going to talk to Audrey? Maybe? Who else is close to Cooper that we know is in the cast? Also, the Cole and Albert scene at the end was oddly intense. Maybe my favorite scene so far.

Sarah Palmer is another possibility. They did show that brief clip of her while Cooper was going through the various portals. Speaking of which, I wonder if the eyeless woman was "Judy" that Phillip Jeffries mentions in FWWM.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Section 9 posted:

I love the original series and I love this new season so far, but I totally get this. I think this new series is really for big Lynch fans. I know people who loved the original series hated Fire Walk With Me because it was so much more dark and terrifying than the series. One of the friends I watched with tonight commented that this felt a lot more like a horror series than the original, and I think that's pretty accurate. It's very very Lynch weird, and that's not everyone's thing. And I'm not trying to say "you just don't get it" or anything dismissive like that. It's absolutely not to everyone's tastes, but I think it's targeted at a portion of Twin Peaks fans who really get into the weird and incomprehensible stuff.
I keep seeing people say it's terrifying, and I'm not easily scared or bothered by dark themes so there's nothing in FWWM or the new season that bothers me on that level, but yeah, I didn't like FWWM and I think that's probably the difference because this is way closer to that. Yes, the first 2 seasons being relatively comprehensible and quirky fun were major selling points for me, but I had other problems with FWWM - I felt that we already knew enough about Laura's death, and going back and seeing it happen does a disservice to the horror of Leland's confession scene in season 2. The story felt unnecessary and didn't really augment my experience of the series in any way. I also found the recasting of major roles distracting and it took me out of the film more often than not, though I suppose that isn't Lynch's fault. But this season feels like it upset the balance between Lynch and Frost. It's way more David Lynch is very lacking in the Mark Frost department, and I feel like that was what kept Lynch in check. Thanks for being diplomatic about my opinion though, a lot of people tend to act like the slightest dissent is the equivalent of killing your dog in front of you.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Little Mac posted:

I assumed this at first, but then started thinking it was Sarah Palmer. Since she always saw Bob and had visions of him. It's also said: "I know where she drinks." and Sarah has become a heavy drinker based on the teaser and her recent scene.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was never big on the Laura stuff in FWWM to be honest, but I really dig the other stuff with Philip Jefferies and the Teresa Banks murder.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The girl in episode 3's name is black in Japanese

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Episode 2 has so many laugh out loud moments, but I think the best one is Cooper obviously typing gibberish into his magic laptop.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

sticklefifer posted:

I had other problems with FWWM - I felt that we already knew enough about Laura's death, and going back and seeing it happen does a disservice to the horror of Leland's confession scene in season 2. The story felt unnecessary and didn't really augment my experience of the series in any way. I also found the recasting of major roles distracting and it took me out of the film more often than not, though I suppose that isn't Lynch's fault.

I thought it was actually a pretty fascinating look into what Laura was actually like rather than hearing about it from other characters. Witnessing her life from her perspective was a completely different world, and one that had plenty to add to the story. It doesn't hurt that Sheryl Lee is loving fantastic in the role.

As far as recasting goes, wasn't it just Donna? I mean, it's a little awkward for continuity's sake, but it didn't bother me too much. It helps that she was good in the role.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HD DAD posted:

Episode 2 has so many laugh out loud moments, but I think the best one is Cooper obviously typing gibberish into his magic laptop.
I like how it was obviously a Microsoft Surface because the logo was on there, but then once he started using it, it didn't look like a Microsoft Surface at all :lol:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I like how it was obviously a Microsoft Surface because the logo was on there, but then once he started using it, it didn't look like a Microsoft Surface at all :lol:

Yeah that was the one sell out moment for sure. Thank you microsoft for the surface.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I might be hoping against hope, but I can't see Albert being in touch with Audrey. My money's on Diane.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah that was the one sell out moment for sure. Thank you microsoft for the surface.
There was also the Samsung laptop, but I think that wasn't until episode 4.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

And More posted:

Lars von Trier's Kingdom is pretty good. However, it also ends on a cliffhanger, just like Twin Peaks did. American Gods is a lot more grounded than Hannibal was, but since it's made by the same guy, there are a lot of similar aesthetic choices.

Early Trier (up to Kingdom) has a Lynchy vibe, though the Most Lynchian Not-Lynch Director Award goes to Guy Maddin, who is also a genius. Roy Andersson is definitely worth checking out, as well as Maya Deren and Luis Bunuel. In some ways, John Waters is worth a look.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seeing Frank Silva credited for the archival footage made me unexpectedly sad. Have they lost enough people to dedicate one episode to each?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I thought that now would be a good time to watch The Missing Pieces for the first time. Holy gently caress, the extended cut of the meeting above the convenience store is nightmarish.

I might need to rewatch the new episodes at some point soon, with the missing pieces scenes in mind. I've already noticed some things crop up here that I saw in the new season.

This seems relevant:

(Spoilered since it relates to episode 3)

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 23, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

business hammocks posted:

Seeing Frank Silva credited for the archival footage made me unexpectedly sad. Have they lost enough people to dedicate one episode to each?

In episode 3 it was dedicated to Albert and major Briggs, while there is none in 4

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
The Black Lodge scenes are familiar and down right comforting, when compared to so much else happening, and that is wonderful.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

business hammocks posted:

Not quite, I don't think. From the original cast, there's:

Jack Nance
Frank Silva
Don Davis
Miguel Ferrer
Catherine Coulson
Dan O'Herlihy
John Boylan
Warren Frost
Michael Parks

and then Bowie from FWWM. I think that's it, though I'm sure there are some people in small bit parts that aren't around anymore.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
We just watched all four episodes. I was worried going into this because reboots and remakes and stuff are usually so awful, but also hopeful because even when David Lynch makes a misstep, it's fascinating to behold.

Aaand this show absolutely rules and I'm in love with it.

So I think Coop's body got out of the Black Lodge, but I don't think Coop's spirit did, if that makes any sense. That's why Dougie is just empty and follows orders and repeats what he sees and hears. He's a blank slate because there's nothing in there. Where Coop's spirit is: Who knows? Maybe it's in there somewhere.

Also it's a fool's game to try to take anything in a David Lynch movie too literally. Also the Michael Cera scene was the looniest thing in the new series so far and it was FANTASTIC.

I'm going to have to rewatch a couple of times to wrap my head around some of it, but I'm totally gaga for this direction the series has taken.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

GeekyManatee posted:

-hands you a five dollar bill- Call for help.

This is the new something awful registration policy

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I love this revival. It's everything I've wanted from more Twin Peaks. I was never really into the small town drama bits of Twin Peaks, but it was fun. The real stuff wast the more Muholland Drive weirdness and terror that was boiling underneath, so it's great that we get more of that this season. I'm realizing the problem I had with Fire Walk With Me wasn't the wierdness, but that it didn't resolve anything from the show's finale. Whereas this is actually showing the next step in the story.

I'm so happy the FBI is involved and that they've realized they're dealing with something supernatural. Seeing Cooper without has faculties is a bit heartbreaking. Not sure if that's because he was teleported back to the wrong body or because he's been sitting in an alternate dimension for 25 years without real human contact so his brain went off.

4 hours went by in flash so it's going to seem like a pittance when I only have an hour to watch next week. Maybe I should wait a month or so and then mainline another 4 hours of Lynch.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I've watched the Wally Brando scene like 5 times now. Iconic

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It's absolutely heartbreaking to see Catherine Coulson reprising her role but I'm so happy for her that she got to do it before she passed.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, with every scene in Twin Peaks so far there's been an underlying sadness, even if it's just Hawk answering Maragret's phone call like he probably has evey single night since Coop went missing 25ish years ago.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So someone brought up an interesting prediction on who owns that glass cube in NYC: Audrey. Maybe she knows its a way to bring back Cooper...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ccs posted:

I love this revival. It's everything I've wanted from more Twin Peaks. I was never really into the small town drama bits of Twin Peaks, but it was fun. The real stuff wast the more Muholland Drive weirdness and terror that was boiling underneath, so it's great that we get more of that this season. I'm realizing the problem I had with Fire Walk With Me wasn't the wierdness, but that it didn't resolve anything from the show's finale. Whereas this is actually showing the next step in the story.

I'm so happy the FBI is involved and that they've realized they're dealing with something supernatural. Seeing Cooper without has faculties is a bit heartbreaking. Not sure if that's because he was teleported back to the wrong body or because he's been sitting in an alternate dimension for 25 years without real human contact so his brain went off.

4 hours went by in flash so it's going to seem like a pittance when I only have an hour to watch next week. Maybe I should wait a month or so and then mainline another 4 hours of Lynch.

June 4 is when episode 5 airs

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Are there no subtitles/captions available yet, or is it just Canada and CraveTV being a poo poo streaming service? I'm bad at spoken comprehension and I had to rewatch the scene with BadCooper and that girl a few times to understand the dialogue. It wasn't fun. :(

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Jan posted:

Are there no subtitles/captions available yet, or is it just Canada and CraveTV being a poo poo streaming service? I'm bad at spoken comprehension and I had to rewatch the scene with BadCooper and that girl a few times to understand the dialogue. It wasn't fun. :(

Weird yeah so the Xbox one app doesn't seem to have caption capabilities but the mobile app does so if you have a chromecast you can cast it from your phone to the TV and turn on captions. Or you should be able to watch it through their website using captions.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only thing I really miss from the show, despite a lot of it just working really well as is, are the Badalamenti music cues. The exchanged between Ben and Jerry in episode one would have been a great spot for it, but considering the tone of the episode it probably would have felt out of place.