Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looke
Aug 2, 2013

And a white supremacist murdered one of our MP's last year, so it's been known to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know much about terrorism in the UK, do they have a history of lone wolf right-wing attacks like the US?

an MP was shot dead by a fascist last year, but before that I think you'd be going back to David Copeland.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

This stuff is super heart breaking, and really feel for the families who have lost parents and children tonight

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Who will stop these water pipes from killing the kids? Terrible

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I bet it was the gubmint wot done it. "Oh poo poo, labour's gaining in the polls, time to kill some children!"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rasta_Al posted:

Who will stop these water pipes from killing the kids? Terrible

Deaths caused by stampedes happen.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

TomViolence posted:

I bet it was the gubmint wot done it. "Oh poo poo, labour's gaining in the polls, time to kill some children!"

waiting for someone to unironically post this on FB

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

TomViolence posted:

Standard part of the Tory playbook.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

endlessmonotony posted:

It was a bomb

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

endlessmonotony posted:

Yes they do, but there have been no reports even implying this was Hillsborough. Not discounted witnesses, not counted witnesses, no build up of a crush just bodies in an instant. If there was evidence to suggest a crush i'd be with you but nothing other than "dead crowd at a concert" is in line with a crush theory.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

endlessmonotony posted:

Deaths caused by racist islamist suicide bombers are far more common though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TomViolence posted:

Finally, a sensible response

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was a nail bomb detonated by a suicide bomber

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
The first piece of hardware I use when putting in new water pipes is nails.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Fumble posted:

Deaths caused by racist islamist suicide bombers are far more common though.

Uh, no? Not in the UK they aren't

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if GCHQ or MI5 or whatever let a bomber get through just to ward off the danger of the jam grandad restricting their powers somewhere down the line.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Killing children isn't the usual Tory past time. Credit to Big Tess for thinking outside the box.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheRat posted:

Are stampedes really that common in the UK?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TheRat posted:

Until now.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

TheRat posted:

Really? in the last 10 years?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are stampedes really that common in the UK?

Suicide bombers are really loving rare.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's a moot point because it wasn't a stampede, it was a bomb. A nail bomb. Detonated by a suicide bomber.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheRat posted:

According to the list of human stampedes on Wikipedia, the last death caused by a stampeded in the UK was in 1989

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Terrorist bombings are nowhere near as common now as they were between 1971 and 1998.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Gonna put in this industrial grade water pipe. Anyone got some 8d coated 3 & 1/4 sinkers? Wanna afix it to the concrete.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

TomViolence posted:

Terrorist bombings are nowhere near as common now as they were between 1971 and 1998.

you mean after the good friday agreement? im /p sure 7-7 was Islamist

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

According to the list of human stampedes on Wikipedia, the last death caused by a stampeded in the UK was in 1989

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

And that alone killed more people than every islamist suicide bomb attack in the UK combined.

Fumble posted:

Really? in the last 10 years?

There hasn't been a suicide bomb attack in the uk the since 2005 (not counting today because nothing has been confirmed), so yes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheRat posted:

Compared to what exactly? There have been a dozen in the UK (5 successful) in the last several years, and even more that weren't suicide bombers.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

There hasn't been a suicide bomb attack in the uk the since 2005 (not counting today because nothing has been confirmed), so yes.

all the sensible people in this thread know that today's incident was caused by a water pipe bursting, flinging nails and bolts across a wide area as burst water pipes are wont to do

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
There's a live thread being updated here https://www.reddit.com/live/yz4k8674h837.

It's a reddit link but it looks like it's being fairly well moderated and I've been using it to keep up to date.

Either that or keep yelling at each other like autists, this is a gay dead comedy forum after all. Personally, I'm throwing in my autist hat into the probably a bomb but let's wait and see what the police say.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TomViolence posted:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if GCHQ or MI5 or whatever let a bomber get through just to ward off the danger of the jam grandad restricting their powers somewhere down the line.

Dude for real take your meds

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheRat posted:

But there hasn't been a stampede death in the UK in almost 30 years.

Anyway, I don't think this is a very productive line of discussion. Both suicide bombing and stampedes are very rare in England, but this was a bombing. It's probably gonna take awhile to sort out exactly how many people were directly killed by the bombing and how many (if any) were killed by the panic caused by the bomb, and I'm not sure if that's a very important distinction.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Compared to what exactly? There have been a dozen in the UK (5 successful)

What?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Personally I'm just going to make facetious remarks until the smoke has cleared, the blood has dried and the rubble has settled enough that we actually definitively know what's happened. Until then y'all just need to chill and stop being tossers imo.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
has anyone considered the possibility that this may have been a rogue meteor strike

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Okay guys, we might have a slight emergency on our hands. The nails i used to install the water pipe aren't exactly holding. I think it can wait until after the Ariana concert though

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

spacetoaster posted:

Compared to what exactly? There have been a dozen in the UK (5 successful) in the last several years, and even more that weren't suicide bombers.

I can think of 7/7 and the attempted one in Exeter. What's the other ten?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

There's a couple of planned ones that got stopped, but 7/7 is literally the only one that's ever happened (again, not counting today until it's confirmed)

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Rasta_Al posted:

Okay guys, we might have a slight emergency on our hands. The nails i used to install the water pipe aren't exactly holding. I think it can wait until after the Ariana concert though

Get some gaffer tape on it for gently caress sake, call your self a roadie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Suicide_bombings_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Locked thread