Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He routed it through the same thing that handles all the phone calls people make across time and space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I quite liked "I am the only man in the universe with an actual license to kick the Doctor's rear end".

I am seriously considering changing my current AV for Nardole with this text!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Matt Lucas is actually a really solid actor (he was ace in Midsummer Night's Dream which we shot on the Trap Street set), so I'm quite enjoying the odd little flashes of actual acting. Suicide by pills seemed much darker than anything in S9!

The dialogue in the last few eps has been really superb, and Peter is on fire. Such a shame he's going, but I've quite enjoyed the condensed companion experience over the last few episodes. I hope there are much bigger things in Pearl's future, she really makes some of those lines fly.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I'm curious as to who originally wrote the Veritas? Surely the mysterious invading aliens wouldn't have put it in.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

An early civilisation who figured it out then comitted suicide en masse, clearly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hangedman1984 posted:

I'm curious as to who originally wrote the Veritas? Surely the mysterious invading aliens wouldn't have put it in.

Robert Kilroy-Silk.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jerusalem posted:

I did get a laugh out of,"They're capable of building utterly seamless recreations of reality down to the atom, to the point that the NPCs are sentient.... but then they cheaped out and just made every npc access a singular RNG across the entire simulation."

In fairness, I can see "how frequently would people call out a number at the exact same time? :eyeroll:" being a thought in a programming meeting, without really thinking just how many people exist and how long they're existing for.

Also yeah, Matt Lucas was pretty good in this. I feel like he's getting a bit better every episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

Ostensibly it'd be someone who found out the secret a long time ago, but died/was killed before it was widely disseminated or decided not to spread it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

spectralent posted:

In fairness, I can see "how frequently would people call out a number at the exact same time? :eyeroll:" being a thought in a programming meeting

Some of my friends have a drinking game based around just that concept!

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, you can do "it's all fake" stories, but something has to matter. Like in Extremis, the point wasn't "it's fake so we can gently caress everything up", it was "it's fake and here's how people figure it out and what even a fake Doctor can do about it". This episode could have stood fine on its own with the conclusion being now that the real Doctor knows what's going on the villains are doomed to failure (which they are, of course, but that would be a one minute epilogue instead of a full episode next week).

Well, there's still the problem that the Doctor doesn't know at all what they're capable of and exactly what their plans are. All he knows is that they made an extremely sophisticated simulation which only tells him how incredibly advanced they are.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/status/866374898859552768

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He routed it through the same thing that handles all the phone calls people make across time and space.

Five generations after successfully conquering the earth, a Monk historian was browsing through some old simulation records and found the bit where the Doctor used Time Lord technology.

He thought 'that looks useful, make me up a quantum-printed copy'. That copy contained the email, which it forwarded to the past as instructed.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

radmonger posted:

Five generations after successfully conquering the earth, a Monk historian was browsing through some old simulation records and found the bit where the Doctor used Time Lord technology.

He thought 'that looks useful, make me up a quantum-printed copy'. That copy contained the email, which it forwarded to the past as instructed.

River has been shown to do something similar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hangedman1984 posted:

The Doctor briefly mentions that people smart enough to understand they're in a simulation is a part of the simulation's plan, I think. They probably just want to limit access to it.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Bicyclops posted:

The Doctor briefly mentions that people smart enough to understand they're in a simulation is a part of the simulation's plan, I think. They probably just want to limit access to it.

I think it's an inherent problem of the simulation: to make it accurately predict how humans (and human-aligned aliens) would react to an alien threat, they had to program in very, very clever people. People smart enough to figure out they're in a simulation by the flaws in the programming. The simulated characters didn't just warn the Doctor, they also succeeded in rendering the program worthless for predicting humanity's response to an invasion.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I was really hoping that this was going to build up to a point about people being simulated not necessarily making them less real, but nope!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fractalairduct posted:

I was really hoping that this was going to build up to a point about people being simulated not necessarily making them less real, but nope!

The Doomsday Quatrain is exactly that, with the alien invaders even running the simulation for the same reason. Also Nostradamus.

Quite good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Murderion posted:

I think it's an inherent problem of the simulation: to make it accurately predict how humans (and human-aligned aliens) would react to an alien threat, they had to program in very, very clever people. People smart enough to figure out they're in a simulation by the flaws in the programming. The simulated characters didn't just warn the Doctor, they also succeeded in rendering the program worthless for predicting humanity's response to an invasion.

The president was smart enough to know what's going on? What a poo poo simulator

Namtab fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 23, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the main reason I like Missy/the Mistress more than the previous Masters is that she seems more clever about her evil. John Simm's master was largely about killing a lot of people, which is fine as villains go but gets old as it cannot really be escalated. Missy's thing is giving the doctor things that he should never ever have the opportunity to have so that he can make his own mistakes for her amusement. She put him with Clara as an assistant because she knew that they were so perfect together that it would destroy them (as she put it: The Control Freak and the Man who should Never Be Controlled): The Doctor made a few moves that without Clara's advice he would not have made, and Clara "became" a Doctor in her own right, at least in attitude, without realising that there was one key difference - The Doctor regenerates. She doesn't. Hence trying to be noble and self sacrificial with the raven, but not realising that that was the worst thing that she could possibly have done.

There was also, of course, the Army she gave him with the planet of tame Cybermen: She gave him what she thought that he always wanted - the opportunity to go to every point in history and forcibly save EVERYBODY. These are much more interesting Master-plans (:v:) than just killing 1/10ths of the earths population to make the Doctor Sad.

She doesn't need to mess with the Doctors head or kill his pets - she just gives him a present and watches the fireworks.

also the Putting Clara in a Dalek and the Doctor nearly kills her thing was the Doctor's fault for being incurious - he should have noticed something was wrong when the Dalek started shouting "I am a Dalek!" over and over again which is really weird. An actual dalek would have stuck to the usual "Exterminate" and shot at him, not constantly reinforced what it was, unless directly asked.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 23, 2017

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Plavski posted:

"Nardole, are you secretly a badass?"

"Nothing secret about it, babydoll."

You know, that exchange was better than any of Moffats "zingers" or one-liners over the years. Putting a good character line in the mouth of a comedian has so much more effectiveness than rapid-fire blathering from Clara.

Of the most recent companions:

Clara: How Doctor Who fans would imagine themselves as the companion.

Bill: The type of companion a non-fan would be.

Nardole: The type of companion a Who fan would actually be.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Senor Tron posted:

Of the most recent companions:

Clara: How Doctor Who fans would imagine themselves as the companion.

Bill: The type of companion a non-fan would be.

Nardole: The type of companion a Who fan would actually be.

I dunno, Nardole has been pretty competent so far.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fil5000 posted:

I dunno, Nardole has been pretty competent so far.

Yeah, we'd be Micky.

e: maybe a few Adrics

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, we'd be Micky.

e: maybe a few Adrics

Micky winds up with Martha.

We're all Adam.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
So something has occurred to me.We're 6/13 episodes in, with the next episode following on directly from this one, with the same enemies.

Is this the longest a season has gone without an episode on ANY recurring staple enemy? We've had small appearances by the Daleks and Missy, but they were both ancillary to the actual focus of the story. With the very debatable exception of Smile ('rogue colony ship AI' even if not the same ones) and Thin Ice (if you want to count 'man' as a race), every antagonist has been a new thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

So something has occurred to me.We're 6/13 episodes in, with the next episode following on directly from this one, with the same enemies.

Is this the longest a season has gone without an episode on ANY recurring staple enemy? We've had small appearances by the Daleks and Missy, but they were both ancillary to the actual focus of the story. With the very debatable exception of Smile ('rogue colony ship AI' even if not the same ones) and Thin Ice (if you want to count 'man' as a race), every antagonist has been a new thing.

Series 6 I think? The silence were new for that opening two parter, then it was Black Spot, Doctor's Wife, Flesh two parter... you have to get up to God Complex before you get a recurring antagonist and even then it's a Nimon. Closing Time is your first PROPER recurring baddie and that's one episode before the finale.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Season 6 barely reused any antogonists didn't it?

efb

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

To be fair, we don't actually know who/what the invading aliens are.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Cleretic posted:

Of Modern Who or Classic Who?

Classic Who wasn't really as big on recurring enemies as people remember it to be. I think Modern Who was based more on an image of Doctor Who than of what was really going on in those episodes.

For example, the 3rd Doctor and the 4th Doctor, together, over ten years, only fought the Daleks 5 times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, there were two seven year gaps between Cybermen appearances in 1968 ("The Invasion"), 1975 ("Revenge") and 1982 ("Earthshock").

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you count all the Master appearances in Pertwee's era as "recurring stuff":

24%
48%
70% (50% otherwise)
22%
55%
64%
42% (dead on 1/3 if you don't count Glitz)

Don't forget that even outside the Master, the Daleks and the Cybermen there were still recurring villains/alien locations aplenty, like the Ice Warriors, the Silurians, the Yeti, the Mara, etc.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm not entirely sure what those percentages are supposed to represent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

I'm not entirely sure what those percentages are supposed to represent.

% episodes that feature a villain that appears more than once in the series. So, eg, the first Doctor's is made up of the dalek stories, The Time Meddler (reappears in Master Plan) and Tenth Planet.

(Daleks, Dalek Invasion, Chase, Meddler, Cutaway, Masterplan, Tenth Planet for the precise list)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 23, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm surprised by the Fourth Doctor era, but when I think back, I guess it was just Davros and the Cybermen a couple of times. Even the entire season that focuses on the Guardians really just has them pop in at the beginning and the end of the fetch quest.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I'm surprised by the Fourth Doctor era, but when I think back, I guess it was just Davros and the Cybermen a couple of times. Even the entire season that focuses on the Guardians really just has them pop in at the beginning and the end of the fetch quest.

2 daleks, 1 cybermen; as many sontaran stories as either.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, right, the Sontarans. I can't believe I forgot about the pool chairs serial.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Some of my friends have a drinking game based around just that concept!

What's the game? I can only think of 'people yell out a number greater than zero, highest number drinks difference between numbers, both drink number if it's the same number'. And that'd still probably end up with people just shouting '1' at each other.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Linked from the actual scene's page, this is pretty dope tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAY-tgKr52s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww.

https://twitter.com/doctorwhocovers/status/867116491572994055

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TinTower posted:

Linked from the actual scene's page, this is pretty dope tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAY-tgKr52s

This was pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jon Culshaw's Tom Baker has got much better than it used to be.

• Locked thread