Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Neslepaks posted:

Hey. I finally bought my first car. I'll be 40 next year. :corsair:

Figured I'd get the most terrible mistakes out of the way right off the bat.

Very nice! AI needs more Alfas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Powershift posted:

Yeah, what you really need is flash.

This had me laughing my rear end off, it's amazing.

Late to the party, but yea, the corrected ones are intagramed to poo poo. Next time I'll try to remember my actual camera. The picture wasn't bad for a 5 year old smart phone. It was a dark grey day, it's a dark picture :shrug:. I just cut a bunch of holes in the tailgate to fix rust, so when I'm done welding, fairing, and painting that, I'll go take a better picture for AI.

EDIT:
Have a picture of my beater for some consolation.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm still imagining that that car was making a most hilarious noise driving along with that on the roof.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Neslepaks posted:

Figured I'd get the most terrible mistakes out of the way right off the bat.

Congrats! You said terrible mistakes. JTS and M32 I presume?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Worse, in a way. It's a 1.9 JTD. Very little power and terrible turbo lag. But there's a cool boost gauge to make up for it I guess?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Neslepaks posted:

Worse, in a way. It's a 1.9 JTD. Very little power and terrible turbo lag. But there's a cool boost gauge to make up for it I guess?

It least the engine should be reliable. It is still paired to M32 gearbox, I think. 2.4 JTDM with F40 gearbox is probably the best drivetrain combination in the GM era Alfas (159/Brera/Spider).

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Yes I'm hoping it'll last a while. It's only got 58000 km on it, which is getting pretty rare for 159s at this point.

Then again I just discovered a lot of the panels have been resprayed so lord knows what it's been up to.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

But, I still love the Sigma 50mm :3

Friggin scrub can't even frame a shot

This is a joke post

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dreesemonkey posted:

This is a joke post

drat it, who was the goon who thought he was top poo poo at car photography but usually ended up with him photographing the headlight of the car?

He also had a brother who was a goon and both of them had a huge drama shitfight in an AI thread.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

You Am I posted:

drat it, who was the goon who thought he was top poo poo at car photography but usually ended up with him photographing the headlight of the car?

He also had a brother who was a goon and both of them had a huge drama shitfight in an AI thread.

Syf0n.

He 'owned' a yellow 911 that ended up being his moms.

D C fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 16, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahahahaha. 350z.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Not flashy/rugged/classic like the 'vette/subaru/W123 merc which I all love in different ways, but this peak of practicality is mine and I like that a lot too. Didn't have a lot of choice in the matter, my job requires driving around a lot and this is what was provided to do that in. It's a 1150 kg capstone to becoming a Responsible Adult with a Steady Job and Boring Car. On paper an understeery FWD 1.4L 3-cylinder TDI with all of 75 HP and a torque curve peaking at literally 1500 rpm sounds really boring but I like it nonetheless, I guess because it beats public transport but it's also fairly comfortable and it's fun throwing in into corners even though it wants to take it real easy. Mileage is insane, 1000-1100km (my best is 1175) on 44L of diesel if I don't race it. Best thing about it is definitely adaptive cruise control - in 5-lane 80 km/h morning traffic, it's the next best thing to sleeping in

A grainy evening shot of the back, here it's taking a break from rushing through windy country roads, honoring the 2013 WRC-championship sticker on the rear windscreen. Not sure why VW felt that was appropriate, the main offroad influences I get is it sounds kind of like a tractor when running in cold weather.

Since this is my maiden AI post I might as well get my entire car history out of the way, which includes a VW Up which felt like a go kart but was similarly slow, my moms Civic, much love for that and finally more rarely the mid-life mobile my Dad had: a 3.x(?)L quattro A6 (serviced regularly but it died one day because some engine sensor failed and that turned out to be catastrophic). The rumble that thing made flooring it issomething I miss.

I know jack poo poo about working on cars but since my life is steady as poo poo now I'm fairly sure I will at some point want to own some old 'dream' cars that are still fairly accessible (I dreamt small: 90s Preludes, 300zx, no lambo-levels of exotic) and work on them myself. I'd love inspiration from threads featuring other semi-inexperienced people documenting their plights (or just a DIY car newbie thread). How did you all learn the ropes?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Old Binsby posted:

How did you all learn the ropes?

Being a poor, mostly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Old Binsby posted:

I know jack poo poo about working on cars but since my life is steady as poo poo now I'm fairly sure I will at some point want to own some old 'dream' cars that are still fairly accessible (I dreamt small: 90s Preludes, 300zx, no lambo-levels of exotic) and work on them myself. I'd love inspiration from threads featuring other semi-inexperienced people documenting their plights (or just a DIY car newbie thread). How did you all learn the ropes?

Being proud of whatever car you have no matter what is true AI.

As for my personal 'learning the ropes' it started because I got a vehicle that you can't easily get serviced around where I live (A kei car in the USA) so you are forced to deal with it when issues come up. Then I started wanting to fix things that weren't exactly broken, then you start branching out and start messing with other cars because heck if you replaced all the brake everything on your one car how hard could it be on this other one? (not hard at all) Then you get even more confidence because the car starts to become a collection of systems you understand rather than a whole magical explosion powered wheeled thing. Once that happens it becomes fairly easy to have the intimidation of working on a car fade away, it is just a machine after all. Once you get an ounce of confidence soon you'll start wanting to take on everything.
Basically, confidence.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

You Am I posted:

Hey headlights and polarizing filters are rad.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

This is a joke post

Ha, I am still quite a scrub photographer. I only post the passable 1%.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Nice car! Active cruise control is amazing. I've had a couple of Passat hire cars with it and it is magic - I found it even works on little single track roads, although it would sometimes start accelerating round tight corners if it lost sight of the car in front! Only issue I found was forgetting to manage my gears (both cars were manual), I imagine it wound be many times better with DSG.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

stump posted:

Nice car! Active cruise control is amazing. I've had a couple of Passat hire cars with it and it is magic - I found it even works on little single track roads, although it would sometimes start accelerating round tight corners if it lost sight of the car in front! Only issue I found was forgetting to manage my gears (both cars were manual), I imagine it wound be many times better with DSG.

It is great with DSG since I believe it then works from 0 to 160 km/h - the manual version disengages automatically below 3rd gear or 30 km/h.

That said, I drive the manual. On a 17k base trim car the 3k it would cost meant giving up too much other stuff or going over budget by too much. The clutch isn't very diesel-y but the box itself is fine - you can shift basically whenever, the gears are super long. In a passat or octavia i would prefer having dsg because those tend to instill a much more laid back driving style than the polo.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

chrisgt posted:

Out of hibernation.

Man you gotta snazz up your pics

yes I know I'm late here

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ouhei posted:

Finally got my STI sitting how I wanted and took real pictures of it:

STI 05/14/17 02 by Alex Boyd, on Flickr

This looks really good but I'm pretty sure that ride height would destroy my internal organs trying to drive it on NJ roads.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Been a quiet winter for cars, but I was rear-ended back in February while in the 200 and was turned on by a ih8mud guy that Slee Offroad was getting very close to getting his custom-built rear bumpers into production. I reached out and it turned out Slee even had a pre-production model available that he would heavily discount for me. Not one to turn down an awesome deal, I was patient, and just last week I got the truck into Slee and retrieved it yesterday, with the bumper as well as sliders:

Now time to go crawl some malls adventuring in the mountains with the family this summer. :) Last year I had caught the rear bumper as well as the factory side steps on some rocks:

...So this has all worked out perfectly. Lift, armor, and probably a front bumper are next on the list. While at Slee there was another white 200 that I parked next to in order to scare my wife with the ghost of Christmas Future:

It's only money..

Tremek fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 17, 2017

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Hell yes, this is gorgeous!

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

That Riders on the Storm version featuring snoop dogg just popped into my head. Very nice Z. Judging by all the utilitarian family cars along the street you might set off some mid-life crisis sports car purchases with that

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Z's are kinda cool.

Did me one of these, made everything work like stock, and a gazillion bucks in everything else.

Now I'm waiting on GOD drat BRAKE LINES and I'm going to miss summer bash next weekend unless magic happens between now and then and I get this whole car shaken out.

Also learned how to wrap (it's harder than it looks on YouTube)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is extremely my poo poo. Very nice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bird cooch posted:

Z's are kinda cool.

Very nice. Need to see some full car pics with the new color(s). What brake lines are you waiting on? I have some SS lines just sitting on the shelf for my G35 coupe that have been there for over 6 months...

How much headroom did you gain with the seat? Been debating doing something with mine since getting a helmet in there with the stock seats will be very tight.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

bird cooch posted:

Z's are kinda cool.

Did me one of these, made everything work like stock, and a gazillion bucks in everything else.

Now I'm waiting on GOD drat BRAKE LINES and I'm going to miss summer bash next weekend unless magic happens between now and then and I get this whole car shaken out.

Also learned how to wrap (it's harder than it looks on YouTube)

This is very good.
LS spec?
Welcome to the crew.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Goddamn, all you fuckers with your baller LS swaps.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

Goddamn, all you fuckers with your baller LS swaps.

I can see putting the LS3 in the M3, but an LS2 in a 350Z? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pick up a used Corvette at that point?

I guess it'd be super weird trying to turn a Corvette into a gaudy stance-mobile?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

davebo posted:

I can see putting the LS3 in the M3, but an LS2 in a 350Z? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pick up a used Corvette at that point?

I guess it'd be super weird trying to turn a Corvette into a gaudy stance-mobile?

I never got the appeal of the 350z until I realized they were basically an improved 240SX chassis wise... they are also dirt cheap.

I don't think it is a stance mobile, it seems set up as a drift car.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

BlackMK4 posted:

I never got the appeal of the 350z until I realized they were basically an improved 240SX chassis wise... they are also dirt cheap.

pretty much

the 240sx suffers so greatly from "drift tax" you can get 350z for cheaper because they're everywhere now. even seeing some people buying g35s and 37s to build off of which idk if its as good of an idea unless you really like those taillights

you'll be seeing a lot more 350z turning into missiles until the FRS becomes cheap enough to buy for $5k on the reg

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BlackMK4 posted:

It's just the door handles are so bad stylistically that it's been the number one thing I see on these, every time. Think I might be the only one who spergs hard about it because nobody else seems to notice. Not a thing when you are engine swapping and drifting of course.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

And there it is, right on the nose! I use a 350z because it works and I can re-shell easily if I run out of talent. At this point I'm probably right about nice C5/really lovely C6 worth of parts and bits and bobs.
The motor is just a ls6/t56 with a few parts thrown at it. I have some texas speed heads and a cam for later, but really I need to get miles on the car.

Larrymer posted:

Very nice. Need to see some full car pics with the new color(s). What brake lines are you waiting on? I have some SS lines just sitting on the shelf for my G35 coupe that have been there for over 6 months...

How much headroom did you gain with the seat? Been debating doing something with mine since getting a helmet in there with the stock seats will be very tight.

As soon as I can get it back in the ground and in the sun I'll take some.

My brake lines issue is thus

And there's more angle left on the table. I ordered a longer set that we're supposed to be here last Friday.
The seats make a huge difference and are a huge pain in the rear end to live with, you more or less sit on the floor. I've had a 6'4" guy drive it no issue with helmet clearance.

Thief posted:

.....missiles......

Shudder at the thought. You have to have a nice car to have a "missile" or practice car. If not, you just have a poo poo car.

I haven't even put a big dent in this one yet.

And to be honest, the 240 drift tax isn't much more than it was 5+ years ago. The problem that the 240s broken rear suspension geometry and finding one that's not beat to death and tool dipped is getting more difficult.
The frs/brz/takumitofuditchmachines have an irredeemable motor and as much fun as it is shoving jz's, sr's and ls's into them is, it hobbles the car badly. Subaru motors are garbage time bombs. It's too bad, it's a good looking car

KakerMix posted:

It's just the door handles are so bad stylistically that it's been the number one thing I see on these, every time. Think I might be the only one who spergs hard about it because nobody else seems to notice. Not a thing when you are engine swapping and drifting of course.

The door handles are horrible, the mirrors are god awful and the stubby bumpers make it look cut off.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Today was wash/clay/wax day. I hadn't ever used clay before and I am stunned at how much garbage it pulled out of the BMW's paint. It's now smooth to the touch and almost like a mirror. Sorry for the garage shots of the WRX, but I had to move it in order to clean the BMW.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

New wheel day. We all love stupid V8s that always break :buddy:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I can't decide what's cooler, those BBS's or that TVR.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

McTinkerson posted:

I can't decide what's cooler, those BBS's or that TVR.....

Dude, there's no competition. Most definitely the TVR