Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Troy Queef posted:

Also friends don't let friends read The New Inquiry.

Agreed. The New Inquiry is almost uniformly dogshit, although they have published a couple decent essays over the years. Bijan Stephens' "Capital Flows" was entertaining and lucid.

Still, it's hard to recover from something as stupid as "Hello From the Same Side: Adele's Single is the Musical Equivalent of the Desire for Experiential Homogeneity that Trump Satisfies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've never actually read any of his books because I didn't think they sounded like my thing, but I think I'll check em out now. Which ones do people recommend?

I also loved when they did their big analogy about Lenin being a poster and he was just like "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Iron Council is the one of I've read that is the most obviously leftist. The Scar I think is his best work. Kraken's a personal favorite, and might be the weirdest of the weird fiction books he's written.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've never actually read any of his books because I didn't think they sounded like my thing, but I think I'll check em out now. Which ones do people recommend?

I also loved when they did their big analogy about Lenin being a poster and he was just like "I have no idea what you're talking about."

The City and The City was the one with the most mainstream acclaim, for what that's worth. My top 3 are that, The Scar, and Embassytown.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Embassytown and Perdido Street Station both made me nauseous, so two thumbs up!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Scar is the most straightforward and adventurous of the Bas Lag trilogy, which means you get all the cool weird poo poo and a rollicking fun plot and characters to go with it. And it's the least leftist, which means you don't get the same roiling contempt against the Thatcher bullshit.

I do think the first part of this ep was the funniest in a long time yet. Trump snitching on Jared had me rolling.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Scar is the easiest read of the Bas-Lag stuff but Iron Council is the best one

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

GalacticAcid posted:

The best left wing journals are n+1 and the London Review of Books.

monthly review imo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

R. Guyovich posted:

monthly review imo

You know, I've never actually read an issue of the Monthly Review. I'll try to find some time to hit the library next week.

The current issue of n+1 is really worth picking up if you haven't yet though. Tim Barker's summary and critique of the transatlantic journal Endnotes, Richard Beck on an antiwar response to Syria, Thea Rionfrancos on left wing populism, and Alyssa Battistoni on the Cyborg Manifesto are all excellent.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I just subbed to the monthly street fight zine guys

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

padijun posted:

I just subbed to the monthly street fight zine guys

right on

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

October is actually 70% off on the US kindle store right now, bought it right quick.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Antti posted:

October is actually 70% off on the US kindle store right now, bought it right quick.

It's 2 dollars off the digital price. A decent deal.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Felix's imitation of the Culture Gabfest was so good that I'm worried he might actually listen to it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He definitely definitely does

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If you're looking for more from China, he did an interview with Chuck on This is Hell.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Perdido Street Station is my personal favorite of the Bas-Lag Cycle. Didn't care much for The Scar and I especially don't care for Iron Council, as the plot gets a little, uh, meandering. Like, more meandering than China usually gets. And yeah, it's him at his most unapologetically leftist, and I kinda preferred the more subtle take from Perdido Street.

The City and the City is probably the best entry to his work, but I started with Embassytown, which has a really fascinating premise. He's a challenging author, and his work isn't always of uniform quality, but if you're a loving communist nerd like me you can do far worse.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://theintercept.com/2017/05/23/homeland-security-hires-anti-islam-activist-katharine-gorka-as-trump-makes-overtures-to-muslim-states/

2 gorka for the price of 1

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Holy poo poo a supervillain team

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

Now James Bond will seduce Katharine for information and Sebastian will have to feed her to the sharks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Famethrowa posted:

Pfft, they look like one of those couples from Kitchen Nightmares who stupidly bought a restaurant with their retirement money.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Exactly. Yet I somehow missed the drum major jacket.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Is this what securing a future for our white children looks like?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Pfft, they look like one of those couples from Kitchen Nightmares who stupidly bought a restaurant with their retirement money.

I was referring to Established Chapo Canon tm

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lol Felix made a reference to goon island in episode 35

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Last few episodes have been top-quality content. The NY Times duck hunts/reading series have been a nice display of form from Chapo, being able to attack both conservatives and the liberal media that facilitates them at every turn.

I've noticed over the last few episodes too that they've generally started to foster the possibility of Trump not serving a full term, which in the early weeks after the election + inauguration they dismissed as a liberal pipe dream. I completely agree with them that if Trump had deliberately colluded with the Russians he would've just come out with it or the trace of it would have been spotted by now; the never-ending cycle of scandals and White House nightmares ever since the election, however, seems like it just isn't sustainable. The thought of having a President Mike Pence is terrifying, though.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Did they really have Felix leave the room for the interview or was it just a scheduling conflict or something?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol Felix made a reference to goon island in episode 35

What time?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a confused lib has wandered into the other chapo thread and is upset that they say mean things about liberals. it's cute.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/867215133428391936

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Someone make the Gorka minion.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

:vince:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Narrator posted:

Last few episodes have been top-quality content. The NY Times duck hunts/reading series have been a nice display of form from Chapo, being able to attack both conservatives and the liberal media that facilitates them at every turn.

I've noticed over the last few episodes too that they've generally started to foster the possibility of Trump not serving a full term, which in the early weeks after the election + inauguration they dismissed as a liberal pipe dream. I completely agree with them that if Trump had deliberately colluded with the Russians he would've just come out with it or the trace of it would have been spotted by now; the never-ending cycle of scandals and White House nightmares ever since the election, however, seems like it just isn't sustainable. The thought of having a President Mike Pence is terrifying, though.

I noticed this too but I think they're still (appropriately) apprehensive about it in the sense that they don't subscribe to the impeachment fever dream, rather they think he'll quit in a huff, and that it just seems implausible for him to serve out his term, but it could still happen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea they're (rightly) not much getting boners for impeachment because Pence would actually kinda be worse from the sense of him being able to actually do poo poo and you know the terrible part of the dems will happily buy his 'I was the respectable adult in the room because while Trump was naked and screaming into Twitter at 4 am I was quietly drafting an EO to allow churches to have Lottery style public stonings of one gay person a year, like a RESPECTABLE politician.

There's not much reason to pray for impeachment other than the short term own.

Also the house/senate will literally never vote for it, full stop end of conversation no matter how many times McCain mumbles about 'well gee that wasn't nice how he called the Israeli PM "Jewy Goldberg" and asked for some help on his taxes but that is the president's right...'

If he does wind up being a less than 4 year dude it'll be because he quits, and that would own a lot more at least because it'd have to involve him admitting that he never really wanted to win and got bored.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 24, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Antti posted:

I noticed this too but I think they're still (appropriately) apprehensive about it in the sense that they don't subscribe to the impeachment fever dream, rather they think he'll quit in a huff, and that it just seems implausible for him to serve out his term, but it could still happen.

Yeah absolutely, they seem to be leaning more towards "Trump hates his job, so in 2020 he will just say he got the job done and dip, or maybe at a stretch give up after a couple of years."

The news cycle as of late has been so exhausting for a (non-American) bystander, I can't imagine that dude's enjoying his job.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm getting Prager U ads with Ben Shapiro for pre-rolls on Youtube now. Help.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The Narrator posted:

Not to get into an argument at all, as I'm really glad the dry boys have evolved on the matter of Russian collusion with Trump and all, but Trump not coming out with it? There's him saying 'Hey, Putin, you should hack in and find Hillary's whatever-thousand of emails!' during the campaign. The 'traces of it' have been spotted; there's a reason why literally every single loving member of his cabinet and transition team and campaign were literally Russian spies.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Someone make the Gorka minion.

Get a Minions punching bag. You know-- those ones for kids where you put sand in the bottom and then blow them up and then they're like 6 feet tall and poo poo. Buy an Entenmanns donut and slap it on his face. Attach various Nazi medals. Boom, you have a Gorka minion.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Apoplexy posted:

Not to get into an argument at all, as I'm really glad the dry boys have evolved on the matter of Russian collusion with Trump and all, but Trump not coming out with it? There's him saying 'Hey, Putin, you should hack in and find Hillary's whatever-thousand of emails!' during the campaign. The 'traces of it' have been spotted; there's a reason why literally every single loving member of his cabinet and transition team and campaign were literally Russian spies.

CROWDSTRIKE

if trump is guilty of anything it's of being a dumb nyc real estate developer and maybe campaign finance laws. being a dumbass isn't against the law and no one is in a rush to reform campaign finance laws.

He's not going to get impeached. He's going to quit or his heart is going to explode on him.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Apoplexy posted:

he's legitimately too dumb to know what's going on around him though. what's going to do him in, if anything, is the obstruction of justice(?) for firing comey. like you can't fire the guy investigating you to turn the heat down, even if you didn't actually meet with boris badinov during the RNC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Apoplexy posted:

I think it's more the distinction between "Trump asked Putin to install him as president" and "Trump is a massive greedy idiot who didn't realise that all of his appointments were financially compromised by Russians."

Louise Mensch-types are hoping to prove the former, the investigation at the moment is probably more focused on the latter. My thoughts on this are more that I believe that Trump doesn't think he colluded with Russia, but he's sick of people saying he colluded with Russia (just like he hates the idea that he lost the popular vote), and he genuinely thought (for example) that firing Comey would get some democrats on his side while also getting rid of "the Russia thing" as an issue and that it wouldn't look fishy as gently caress.

The man seems to have a crippling inability to keep his thoughts to himself, I don't think he could have gotten to where he is if he'd out-and-out agreed to be helped by Russia, because he would've said something.

edit: beaten. Yeah, he's dumb evil that falls backward into power, not smart evil that creates a wide-reaching evil scheme. if it all shows up that he didn't know, the Rs will still take that as a win