Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I imagine fresh fruit juice for those who get no fruits is more healthy than more coffee but..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I imagine fresh fruit juice for those who get no fruits is more healthy than more coffee but..

8 bucks for Juice is phenominaly less cost efficient and healthy than spending a dollar on an orange

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

eschaton posted:

Look at this person who's never tried Keurig "coffee."

It's good to be a tea-drinker. (Actually, no, because people think they're doing you a favor with a choice between Lipton's and decaf Earl Grey.)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's not, the healthy part of fruit is the pulp and guess what people don't want at all in their fancy expensive juices?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

duz posted:

It's not, the healthy part of fruit is the pulp and guess what people don't want at all in their fancy expensive juices?

Yeah, fruit juice can have a ton of sugar. I've seen single-serving bottles with 40g (and the bottle proudly proclaimed "no added sugar!")

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Oneiros posted:

Yeah, fruit juice can have a ton of sugar. I've seen single-serving bottles with 40g (and the bottle proudly proclaimed "no added sugar!")

Less of a "can have" more of an "absolutely will in normal preparation". It is the purpose of juices.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Juice is actually super unhealthy and you might as well be drinking soda. It's just sugar and water, the vitamins are of negligible importance if you're having even a relatively normal diet.

Coffee is bad for other reasons.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Eh, coffee is fine unless you're dumping sugar and cream into it or you've got some health condition that makes caffeine a no-go. You're probably drinking stuff that's a whole lot worse than black coffee unless you're living exclusively off of plain water. It's not even in the same ballpark as juices.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Water and 1800 calories of foods with fibre and low glycemic index.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Eh, coffee is fine unless you're dumping sugar and cream into it or you've got some health condition that makes caffeine a no-go. You're probably drinking stuff that's a whole lot worse than black coffee unless you're living exclusively off of plain water. It's not even in the same ballpark as juices.

And for what it's worth, you can get cheap K-Cups for around ~$0.35 per cup now, making it not very uneconomical either.

(I'm a lazy rear end who wants to have to do no work to have coffee in the morning)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Don't want to turn this into a beverage thread, but making cold brew coffee is easy and gives you a supply of ready made coffee in the morning. If you need hot coffee in the morning you can easily microwave some.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don't understand this whole "cold" fad. Cold pressed juice, cold extracted coffee. Oh no, the ~nutrients~ can't get too hot!!!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My new invention, the Candero, is a $800 IoT candy jar that dispenses the candy you load inside it at the push of a button. No more getting your hand caught because you grabbed so many jellybeans your fist was now bigger than the jar's rim.

eschaton posted:

Look at this person who's never tried Keurig "coffee."

I tried Keurig once, the bank got one after they remodeled. It's still bank coffee but in a fancy single use package.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Who gives a poo poo. Warm up tea in the microwave with a teabag. Make your coffee in an ancient generic coffee pot. I've eaten eleven kinds of candied goat anus and I can't tell the loving difference between tea that was heated by tickling its balls or whatever and just using hot water from my US "doesn't contain dead birds" tap.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Perceptions matter in consumer products that rely on taste.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Not sure why folks are fixated on Juicero, they seem pretty innocuous in the broader techbro scene.

If VC firms want to subsidize gold-plated juice pack squeezers, more power to them.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: That no VC actually did the mental calculation on this business model indicates just how desperate they have become for capital outlets.

ding ding ding, attest to cognition

time to repackage our favourite collaborative comedy site as Awfulr and add 5MB JavaScript to each page, also something something blockchain

poemdexter posted:

I can't tell you how many people thought we were actually trying to make a real business out of this instead of just loving around.

i certainly hope you did a "Show HN"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Coffee-makers at least make something that everybody (except me) drinks every day. There are a lot more coffee drinkers than there are freshly-made juice drinkers.

Btw, if you drink like a cup of coffee every few hours, and only need to make that single cup at a time, I can recommend Aeropress:

It's a plastic tube and a piston, it uses regular coffee, is simple and quick to use, cleans easily, costs :20bux: + :10bux: and one pack of those coffee filter papers costs 4bux and has 350 of them in it.

Some people say that it makes especially good coffee even, but I haven't noticed. It's just coffee. I used to use a regular coffee maker but because I only drink the 1 cup (well, mug) at a time, i just use a kettle and the aeropress.

fake edit: It doesn't have a wifi, or any electronics.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

Perceptions matter in consumer products that rely on taste.
I've had people insist on boiling water in a kettle instead of using the instant hot water from the coffee machine because it takes completely differently. And then using the free Lipton teabags of course.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Doggles posted:

Ok Uber, we'll let you use our city to test your autonomous vehicles in exchange for free rides and your support to revamp our transportation infrastructure. Surely with your fine, upstanding record as a company you'd never renege on the deal and come back to bite us in the a..

Not a problem. This can easily be resolved by reading the contract between Pittsburgh's mayor and Uber to see what the company was required to provi...

:ughh:

Still a better job than the doofus who was Pittsburgh mayor before him :v:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

cowofwar posted:

I don't understand this whole "cold" fad. Cold pressed juice, cold extracted coffee. Oh no, the ~nutrients~ can't get too hot!!!

It's part of the society wide health trend, serving the nebulous concept of "health" in an attempt of death denial.

The body is treated like a RPG character. Cold press fruit juice is +5 cold resistance, Whole Grains is -2 cancer damage or whatever. Keep stacking those buffs for the bad days ahead. Magical thinking.

The body is a car, it's more or less 100% when it rolls of the factory line, then it slowly degrades and rusts until finally it's scrapped for parts. Maintenance can only slow that process down.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

cowofwar posted:

Cold brewed coffee is a taste thing. The solubility of flavor compounds changes with different temps.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Dmitri-9 posted:

Cold brewed coffee is a taste thing. The solubility of flavor compounds changes with different temps.

Lol

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

mobby_6kl posted:

I've had people insist on boiling water in a kettle instead of using the instant hot water from the coffee machine because it takes completely differently. And then using the free Lipton teabags of course.
I semi frequently run the clean cycle where it just pumps hot water through and it results in brown water with chunks of coffee grounds so making tea with that would probably taste like light coffee tea.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
As the video mentioned, the cool thing about underpriced hardware like that is that tinkerers can buy them for the purpose of gutting the fancy components. Reminds me of when consumer laser projectors started using 455nm blue laser diodes, engineers would buy them because the blue laser was incredibly desirable and this was by far the easiest way to obtain one.

mobby_6kl posted:

The PCBs are definitely the cheapest parts in there, but they're also (to my uneducated eye) well laid out and manufactured, with no bodges, and using nice components like the Nichicon caps and so on.
But seriously, gently caress matte-black soldermask.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

I mean he's not wrong though the temperature you do the extraction at changes what goes into solution.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Feinne posted:

I mean he's not wrong though the temperature you do the extraction at changes what goes into solution.
This sounds exactly like audiophile shenanigans. Sure there's a difference, but is it appreciable by humans and not by a mass-spec? Doubtful methinks. This isn't the difference between a water and organic extraction, it's just a temperature differential - and not even a difference in time. A number of low solubility compounds will not be extracted as well, but cold water coffee extractions are normally done overnight so there's compensation for reduced solubility. Also there isn't a good clean-up so a lot of that poo poo will still be in suspension.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

cowofwar posted:

This sounds exactly like audiophile shenanigans. Sure there's a difference, but is it appreciable by humans and not by a mass-spec? Doubtful methinks. This isn't the difference between a water and organic extraction, it's just a temperature differential - and not even a difference in time. A number of low solubility compounds will not be extracted as well, but cold water coffee extractions are normally done overnight so there's compensation for reduced solubility. Also there isn't a good clean-up so a lot of that poo poo will still be in suspension.

Wow you should write for the National Review. There isn't a difference in time and there is? You want to talk about chemistry but don't think heat has an effect on dissolution kinetics?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

cowofwar posted:

I'm not going to try to give a micro-scopic explanation for why the following is the case, but the cold brew coffee I've had tends to be less bitter than normal coffee.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 23, 2017

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

cowofwar posted:

A number of low solubility compounds will not be extracted as well, but cold water coffee extractions are normally done overnight so there's compensation for reduced solubility.

The amount of time is a factor of kinetics, not equilibrium. Raising the temperature changes the amount that will be solubilized as well as how fast that equilibrium is reached. The additional time is for the slower kinetics of desorption at that temperature. That's not compensation for reduced solubility, because you don't get any extra solute after the equilibrium is reached. Additionally, your comment about temperature not making a difference is pretty uninformed. There are a wide range of effects that temperature has on solubility, some compounds will be relatively unchanged whereas others can have an order of magnitude difference in solubility going between lukewarm and near-boiling water.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
This is definitely the thread for this

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cowofwar posted:

The "cold" in "cold pressed juice" refers to the fact it never gets pasteurized or in any other way cooked during the juicing process (though to comply with health regulations, it may be pasteurized after at a bottling plant if it's meant to be sold on store shelves). The reason for that is some crap about "keeping the fruit alive" and "cooking destroys nutrients", and in some cases "you have to do it this way to get the life force".

"cold pressed" juices usually eschew all other forms of preservation. That's why juicero's packets expire so quickly, the packages aren't even sealed to keep the fruit mush safe, they have air contact with the outside through a filter patch so it can "breathe".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Wheany posted:

Btw, if you drink like a cup of coffee every few hours, and only need to make that single cup at a time, I can recommend Aeropress:

It's a plastic tube and a piston, it uses regular coffee, is simple and quick to use, cleans easily, costs :20bux: + :10bux: and one pack of those coffee filter papers costs 4bux and has 350 of them in it.

Some people say that it makes especially good coffee even, but I haven't noticed. It's just coffee. I used to use a regular coffee maker but because I only drink the 1 cup (well, mug) at a time, i just use a kettle and the aeropress.

i was thinking of getting a nespresso with k cups, but this looks like a better deal. it looks kinda like a french press

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheany posted:

I've used Aeropress before, and they are pretty good. You can toss it in the dishwasher to clean it after you get done using it. Saves a ton of hassle.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Wheany posted:

This still looks kinda gimmicky to me, compared to just doing a pourover. The latter is probably even easier cleaning-wise as well, if you have to bring stuff to the office.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've never cleaned mine other than by washing in a bit after use, the plunger does most of the cleaning by itself. Have a metal filter as well so I never need to replace anything. Only other thing you'll need is a nice grinder.

Of course, this means I'm not ever giving any more money to Aeropress, so I guess their business model is pretty inferior in this respect.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

fishmech posted:

The "cold" in "cold pressed juice" refers to the fact it never gets pasteurized or in any other way cooked during the juicing process (though to comply with health regulations, it may be pasteurized after at a bottling plant if it's meant to be sold on store shelves). The reason for that is some crap about "keeping the fruit alive" and "cooking destroys nutrients", and in some cases "you have to do it this way to get the life force".

"cold pressed" juices usually eschew all other forms of preservation. That's why juicero's packets expire so quickly, the packages aren't even sealed to keep the fruit mush safe, they have air contact with the outside through a filter patch so it can "breathe".

drat, all this time I thought they were using one of those hypercompression pasteurization methods that were being demoed a while back.

General health/food safety note folks: Don't consume unpasteurized fruit or dairy products.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 23, 2017

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

fishmech posted:

Using a real juicer with fresh fruit or just eating the fruit whole solves all of these woo-woo problems, and you don't lose the beneficial fiber in the process.

The money people are willing to spend to avoid chewing food or washing out appliances boggles the mind.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

shrike82 posted:

Not sure why folks are fixated on Juicero, they seem pretty innocuous in the broader techbro scene.

If VC firms want to subsidize gold-plated juice pack squeezers, more power to them.
At some point VC's should be making intelligent bets on the future of the market, not just applying hundreds of millions of dollars scattershot across the right buzzwords? $120M is 30 seed rounds for not-awful ideas, but VC's "who should know better" went with a finance bro true believer that completely missed on the technology side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

That's why juicero's packets expire so quickly, the packages aren't even sealed to keep the fruit mush safe, they have air contact with the outside through a filter patch so it can "breathe".

Someone introduce these folks to natto.