Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

yeah dude air travel is totally poo poo because I sold my preferences to cut a line.

Clearly a bigger problem than crumbling infrastructure and unpredictability in demand during initial construction

Ban airline credit cards too

And don't sign up for precheck, defend your privacy from the govt.

Post, username, etc.

Didn't say you caused it, just that you deserve it.

Edit: I am the government and I'm telling you, don't give up information regardless of what deal they offer you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

poo poo, you're in the exclusive club of people who work for government? Do they keep the aliens at area 51 or are they really beneath wright Patterson?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
When I was in the Army many years ago I got a Top Secret clearance (which is a lot duller than it sounds) meaning the Gob'ment already has my number, down to the color of my ball hair (probably). Global Entry was a no brainer for me because at worst it might only correct information they already had.

From there to Clear was no big deal. I mean, the Matrix already *has* me, etc. so....

BTW they never actually sold that biometric data, they were stopped by a lawsuit. They were trying to sell it to be used in-kind to the company that the new Clear (which is different from the one that went bankrupt in 2009) became.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I heard the government built a tall tower at every airport so they could watch everything :tinfoil:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

Post, username, etc.

Didn't say you caused it, just that you deserve it.

Edit: I am the government and I'm telling you, don't give up information regardless of what deal they offer you.

Deserve what? An expedited trip through the airport to minimize my inconvenience to a level comparable to a busy day at Starbucks? Thanks!

My suggestion Mr Gubment is that perhaps you stop giving your time to your employer and find a different perspective. Bad poo poo and days happen but it doesn't have to be nearly the hellscape you claim it is (and it certainly isn't because of information that was provided).

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Flying on Saturday is nice. Airport is less crowded, not rushing to make a meeting, and AA upgraded me twice to domestic F.

Except it totally ruins my weekend. Oh well.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mandalay posted:

Flying on Saturday is nice. Airport is less crowded, not rushing to make a meeting, and AA upgraded me twice to domestic F.

Last time I flew on a Saturday I spent the entire time playing Zelda, exactly what I would've done at home.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I had two one-way tickets on United, CLT-IAH on Friday and IAH-CLT this morning as I was attending a charity event for United in Houston. I recieved upgrades on both flights and was looking forward to a plesant ride in 1A on an E175 both ways.

Could someone explain to me why, then, I flew both ways on AA in Y? :rolleyes:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't understand

Also AA is hungry for the paid plat pro upgrades. I got 3 emails about it each with a slightly lower price.

This week I'm booking enough travel to hit it before Labor Day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mackieman posted:

I had two one-way tickets on United, CLT-IAH on Friday and IAH-CLT this morning as I was attending a charity event for United in Houston. I recieved upgrades on both flights and was looking forward to a plesant ride in 1A on an E175 both ways.

Could someone explain to me why, then, I flew both ways on AA in Y? :rolleyes:

United updated their software again? :v:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

United updated their software again? :v:

If only. There were two E175 cancellations on IAH-CLT today. No idea why Mesa and Republic can't keep their (relatively brand new) birds in the air.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sitting on a PHL to SFO that it 2.5 hours behind right now due to what was apparently SCHEDULED construction at SFO that shut down 2 runways.

Somehow this being scheduled didn't cause them to mark the flight as delayed until after it was already supposed to be boarding, and it took them 3 or 4 tries before they got finally called the right boarding time.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mackieman posted:

If only. There were two E175 cancellations on IAH-CLT today. No idea why Mesa and Republic can't keep their (relatively brand new) birds in the air.

At least UA still has an interline agreement with AA. You would have been SOL on say DL or WN

Also I flew an AA E75 from IAH to LAX in F. Loud plane. It was decent but nothing memorable.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Lyft now has a partnership with Delta. That was the only push I needed to dump Uber.

I'm pretty much throwing absolutely everything into Delta Points. The majority of my flights are Delta, personal AMEX a SkyMiles Card and SPG w/ Delta although I can't see how much this program last much longer after the Marriot buyout.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Are DL Skyclubs nicer than AA lounges in general? Iirc an Amex Plat gives you access.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mandalay posted:

Are DL Skyclubs nicer than AA lounges in general? Iirc an Amex Plat gives you access.

Caveat: only when flying Delta

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your idea of a rental upgrade for 1 person in Manhattan is a base model Chrysler minivan with 30k miles? gently caress you Avis.

Edit: also the wheel broke on my travelpro crew 3 luggage. So much for quality.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 22, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
If you rented through Avis by choice then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Not in my city. International airport is always busiest on Saturday mornings. Domestic is mostly filled with people not on business trips who always slow things do.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Not in my city. International airport is always busiest on Saturday mornings. Domestic is mostly filled with people not on business trips who always slow things do.

God, do you remember the days before Pre when TSA experimented with self selected lines based on traveler experience? They'd have lines for families, normal and experienced travelers, the idea being they'd have appropriate staffing for each level of sophistication. Of course people saw the experienced traveler line was short and used it.

My fondest memory of that system was the family of six in the experienced traveler line arguing with TSA about how their carry on snow globes shouldn't count as liquids because they purchased them, I guess?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KillHour posted:

Your idea of a rental upgrade for 1 person in Manhattan is a base model Chrysler minivan with 30k miles? gently caress you Avis.

Edit: also the wheel broke on my travelpro crew 3 luggage. So much for quality.

Every car rental chain aside from National is garbage trash.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

My only 2 points of comparison are LAX and BNA. BNA is about the same, and LAX Delta is better.

ohgodwhat posted:

God, do you remember the days before Pre when TSA experimented with self selected lines based on traveler experience? They'd have lines for families, normal and experienced travelers, the idea being they'd have appropriate staffing for each level of sophistication. Of course people saw the experienced traveler line was short and used it.

My fondest memory of that system was the family of six in the experienced traveler line arguing with TSA about how their carry on snow globes shouldn't count as liquids because they purchased them, I guess?

I'm having flashbacks to when I used to fly SW out of Chicago Midway. The black diamond lane all the way on the right for experienced travelers was always filled with wheelchairs and strollers.

Tab8715 posted:

A million times this.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 22, 2017

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

That sounds horrendous but I at least live in Australia where our TSA equivalent are fairly chill (most of the time).

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Tab8715 posted:

Enterprise was mostly ok to me but now I forego the rental entirely and just use Lyft for everything. It actually comes out to be significantly cheaper.

Also pro-tip for Lyft: if you use the scheduling feature it will lock in the price ahead of time and also give you a bit of a discount (I think?). So regular commute trips that you know you're going to take such as going to/from the airport or the office can be scheduled so you don't have to wait or deal with surge pricing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Noctone posted:

If you rented through Avis by choice then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Just rented a car through them in Milan for July. Should I be worried?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

ohgodwhat posted:

gently caress, this post unearth flashbacks to fighting idiots at DFW who couldn't understand that their family wasn't any more special than the other families using the green line and demanded to use the black line.

Also flying on weekends can be very hit or miss for me; less people in my way, but more inexperienced travelers in my way.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

I always chose the "I have no idea what I'm doing line" because it was faster. No one wanted to admit that so they'd always pick the "Sure, I travel weekly" line.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Residency Evil posted:

Just rented a car through them in Milan for July. Should I be worried?

Mostly I was speaking to domestic rentals, there's absolutely zero reason to rent from anyone but National if you can help it. Dunno when it comes to international rentals.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Thomamelas posted:

I always chose the "I have no idea what I'm doing line" because it was faster. No one wanted to admit that so they'd always pick the "Sure, I travel weekly" line.

That's gonna be the slow line. I'm going to use the fast line! :downs:

Of course, the people that travel weekly know that it's the secret fast line.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Anyone have further thoughts about their rental car company preference? I use Hertz just because I've got status through United. Seems totally adequate so far but I haven't shopped around enough to know what I could be missing. What are the criteria that go into your choice?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Anachronist posted:

Anyone have further thoughts about their rental car company preference? I use Hertz just because I've got status through United. Seems totally adequate so far but I haven't shopped around enough to know what I could be missing. What are the criteria that go into your choice?

National is the only rational option. It's possible to have a great rental experience with Hertz, Avis, or the others, but it's a hell of a lot less likely than with National. The exec aisle almost always has a reasonable vehicle choice, almost always under 10K miles (and most under 5K) and a decent loyalty program. Being able to pick whatever car I want instead of whatever was assigned to me is also tits.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dear Biz Freqs,

I'm doing this soon:

Specifically, the itinerary is:
-May 29-31: Tokyo
-May 31-June 2: Seoul
-June 2-4: Jeonju
-June 4-7: Jeju
-June 7-8: Seoul
-June 8-10: Ko Samet
-June 10-13: Bangkok
-June 13-15: Hong Kong

If you're gonna be in any of those places on those dates and want to hang, get in touch. Some of those days I'm already all booked up, but others are pretty unprogrammed so I'd get together and grab a meal, a couple beers, whatever. Travelling with my wife for the whole thing and with a couple buddies for the Korea portion, but seeing new friends is always good too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Noctone posted:

My company ONLY allows rentals though Avis.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KillHour posted:

My company ONLY allows rentals though Avis.

Same. Hence I use Lyft.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Sitting on a PHL to SFO that it 2.5 hours behind right now due to what was apparently SCHEDULED construction at SFO that shut down 2 runways.

Somehow this being scheduled didn't cause them to mark the flight as delayed until after it was already supposed to be boarding, and it took them 3 or 4 tries before they got finally called the right boarding time.

I was on AUS-SFO-CPH and had the exact same problem. In fact all the United flights through SFO were hosed, arrivals in particular. Departures seemed to be going out normally.

So a shitload of missed connections. We ended up being routed through Chicago to go to CPH where I am today. Luckily SAS had seats. 5 hour delay but we landed 20 minutes after the original SFO flight so could be worse.

I gather this runway mess is the result of: construction being scheduled weeks in advance and the airlines all going "shrug, we'll keep the flights on the same schedules and deal with the mess as it unfolds". Which is exactly what they did - I didn't even get a delayed notification until we were at the airport heading to the gate. What a load of poo poo this is.

Since it is an FAA delay they don't even have to provide hotels/etc. or refunds, just re-accommodate, in some cases the next day. I bet if they had rescheduled ahead of time that would have been different.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm in a hotel in downtown Brooklyn and it doesn't have blackout window shades, just see through decorative ones. That's like hotels 101, people. It's so drat bright in here!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

I was on AUS-SFO-CPH and had the exact same problem. In fact all the United flights through SFO were hosed, arrivals in particular. Departures seemed to be going out normally.

I'm sorry to hear this my airport dwelling brotha.

Ixian posted:

Since it is an FAA delay they don't even have to provide hotels/etc. or refunds, just re-accommodate, in some cases the next day. I bet if they had rescheduled ahead of time that would have been different.

This is why we carry the holy amex platinum or the regaled chase sapphire preferred. For those worthy enough the vaunted "really nice" expense account. None can make us whole, but they make us feel a lot better about ourselves.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Dear Biz Freqs,

I'm doing this soon:

Specifically, the itinerary is:
-May 29-31: Tokyo
-May 31-June 2: Seoul
-June 2-4: Jeonju
-June 4-7: Jeju
-June 7-8: Seoul
-June 8-10: Ko Samet
-June 10-13: Bangkok
-June 13-15: Hong Kong

If you're gonna be in any of those places on those dates and want to hang, get in touch. Some of those days I'm already all booked up, but others are pretty unprogrammed so I'd get together and grab a meal, a couple beers, whatever. Travelling with my wife for the whole thing and with a couple buddies for the Korea portion, but seeing new friends is always good too.

Come visit me in Hong Kong and

Hong Kong and Tokyo goons are cool. Ask the japan lab thread or travel thread for restaurant recommendations

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I'm sorry to hear this my airport dwelling brotha.

This is why we carry the holy amex platinum or the regaled chase sapphire preferred. For those worthy enough the vaunted "really nice" expense account. None can make us whole, but they make us feel a lot better about ourselves.

I can use these cards during delays? For reasons other than for buying beer to drown my anger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I can use these cards during delays? For reasons other than for buying beer to drown my anger?

Lounge access, broh.

And a travel concierge if you booked with the card.