Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mistaya posted:

I hope it will make "honest" healers feel more inclined to add some DPS spells to the fight because there's no longer any danger or risk in doing so.

It will make no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there's certainly some healers who will toss out a dps spell or two who weren't before but most people weren't doing it because they weren't actually paying attention or, in some cases, have actually bought into this weird culture war where you're sticking it to the tryhards by not doing damage. it's a QoL thing for people who were already trying to weave cleric stance.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The saddest I've ever felt in this game was playing foes requiem in a dungeon with just a WHM for a caster and they asked me why I was doing that, I was like "Just in case you wanted to do some damage" and they were like "Well I don't" and proceeded to just stand around for the rest of the instance. I usually mark it up to people being uncomfortable or unaware about healer DPS, but here was someone that was just saying flat out "No". Some people just Don't Want To Press The Bad Buttons

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

homeless snail posted:

The saddest I've ever felt in this game was playing foes requiem in a dungeon with just a WHM for a caster and they asked me why I was doing that, I was like "Just in case you wanted to do some damage" and they were like "Well I don't" and proceeded to just stand around for the rest of the instance. Some people just Don't Want To Press The Bad Buttons

I admire your healer's dedication to roleplaying a pacifist.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's not like you're losing any sort of interesting gameplay when cut you CS as a stance. It was always a jerry-rigged solution towards making it so you can actually hurt things and basically revolved around pushing it once to hurt things and once to heal things.

It added some excitement to the game when you accidentally double tapped before a tank buster.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You guys are more cynical than I am I guess. :shobon:

Anyways, It can't hurt. I do agree a 5% damage boost (if that's all the new CS cooldown will add) is pretty anemic though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so i found out earlier today foe's requiem pulls mobs, that wasn't fun to learn in a dungeon

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

homeless snail posted:

The saddest I've ever felt in this game was playing foes requiem in a dungeon with just a WHM for a caster and they asked me why I was doing that, I was like "Just in case you wanted to do some damage" and they were like "Well I don't" and proceeded to just stand around for the rest of the instance. I usually mark it up to people being uncomfortable or unaware about healer DPS, but here was someone that was just saying flat out "No". Some people just Don't Want To Press The Bad Buttons

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thumbtacks posted:

so i found out earlier today foe's requiem pulls mobs, that wasn't fun to learn in a dungeon

That is the most fun place to learn that actually.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Healers not DPS'ing is because they're scared the second they stop casting Cure, S-E are going to inject a new tankbuster into the enemy's skillset that will do Max HP minus 1 damage so they need to be maxed up at all times. Cleric Stance changing isn't going to suddenly change a players entire mindset about playing the game

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Dammit Yoshi don't tickle my balls telling my AST can now do even weirder card poo poo and then not actually say what any of it is.

I heard the ability to combine cards and got excited.

Here's hoping it comes with the ability to heal mass pulls without using Nocturnal Stance and hammering Aspected Benefic and hoping I draw Bole

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some people also like healing for the healing part and picked it because they actually don't want to DPS or tank. I know this is a hard to understand concept in a game where people only do X because they didn't git gud, but it happens.

Maybe one day Yoshi can figure out how to make healing interesting, instead of healing being a necessary evil in between DPS phases.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

orcane posted:

Some people also like healing for the healing part and picked it because they actually don't want to DPS or tank. I know this is a hard to understand concept in a game where people only do X because they didn't git gud, but it happens.

Maybe one day Yoshi can figure out how to make healing interesting, instead of healing being a necessary evil in between DPS phases.
You can always tell the honest healer because they get really venomous at the idea of dps being part of every job's design

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even if the intent is that healers add significant DPS numbers, you will not get that through to people who grew up with MMOs in which this was not the case or those who flock to healing precisely because it's not DPS. Nor to people of the "you're not paying my subscription" variety, of course.

Also, this is relevant even though it's over 7 years old now:

quote:

The idea to let healers dps a little is a controversial one though. Some healers just have no interest in it, so while it might make healing a lot more fun for you, it risks making healing a lot less fun for them. I would not approach that idea as an obviously intuitive one that all healers will rally around, because I suspect that's just not the case.

[...] I could see that if [the option for DPS] was structured in such a way that you had to give up a little bit of healing for that dps [...], such that it was the kind of thing you might do while soloing or running easy content (like Dungeon Finder when overgeared). In other words, I wouldn't want us to do it in such a way that healers were then balanced around doing damage -- like we calculated healer damage when we come up with boss berserk timers. Then it goes from a playstyle choice to being the only way to play.

You can say this doesn't apply because FF14 is designed around healers DPSing, but considering the amount of :v:~honest healers~:v: we get to make fun of every day, I'd say it's still a valid argument that's not settled just because someone says "this is how it should be".

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i fistweave and play disc priest in wow because the idea of being an honest healer is to me frankly disgusting.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

That is the most fun place to learn that actually.
Nah, raids are better.

Ask who's forgot to turn it off before hopping up to see Ozma in Weeping City. :downs:

orcane posted:

You can say this doesn't apply because FF14 is designed around healers DPSing, but considering the amount of :v:~honest healers~:v: we get to make fun of every day, I'd say it's still a valid argument that's not settled just because someone says "this is how it should be".
I still think more games need to steal WAR's one good idea of being able to have both a friendly and a hostile target simultaneously with abilities that hit the appropriate (or both!) targets. The only time I really ever played a healer was loving around with a shaman in PVP there, and healing in PVE in FFXIV would be almost as fun if not for cleric stance the constant target switching you need to do.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
As a honest healer I'd apperciate if everyone would do minimal DPS so I can have more fun time healing everyone to top health, thanks.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I dont see disgusting DPS players healing any raid ramage

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Shadow Priests used to :argh:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Losing 10% damage isn't worth the 'hassle' of not having to press a button be in cleric stance. If the new cleric stance is as described earlier in this thread I probably won't even bother taking it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Asimo posted:

I still think more games need to steal WAR's one good idea of being able to have both a friendly and a hostile target simultaneously with abilities that hit the appropriate (or both!) targets. The only time I really ever played a healer was loving around with a shaman in PVP there, and healing in PVE in FFXIV would be almost as fun if not for cleric stance the constant target switching you need to do.

Instead they all decided to steal the -other- idea of Public Quests, to varying degrees of success.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Okay, it had two good ideas. :v:

And yeah FATEs are definitely... descended from the public quest idea. Even if they're far from the best (or worst) iteration.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Cant you whiny fucks just be happy about cool new changes instead of constant pissing and moaning about poo poo? Seriously, everything looks great, and it didnt take a loving year and a half after the last patch to come out.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Captainsalami posted:

Cant you whiny fucks just be happy about cool new changes instead of constant pissing and moaning about poo poo? Seriously, everything looks great, and it didnt take a loving year and a half after the last patch to come out.

Destroying cleric stance isn't a cool new change.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Captainsalami posted:

no one's sounding all that unhappy in here except you holmes

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Killing CS is by far my favorite change, I play whm all the time and rarely forget to swap and it never felt in any way challenging or rewarding, it's just a chore. The rewarding part of healing is using cooldowns effectively and not letting people die.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

*presses rouse off cooldown* This is so rewarding

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TheNabster posted:

Dammit Yoshi don't tickle my balls telling my AST can now do even weirder card poo poo and then not actually say what any of it is.

I heard the ability to combine cards and got excited.

Here's hoping it comes with the ability to heal mass pulls without using Nocturnal Stance and hammering Aspected Benefic and hoping I draw Bole

I can't be certain, but I think AST gets a ground-target skill properly. (you know, one that won't cut out when poo poo like Zurvan's phase 3 transition happens.) The video made it look like you could throw cards at the entity at the center of the ground-target. What that might mean mechanically, however, is anyone's gess.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
TSW had offensive and defensive targets and it was really nice (until you accidentally lost either or both of them because TSW was wonky as hell).

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 23, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Real happy about the changes, pretty much. Will still likely roll SAM at launch but I wasn't counting on so much hype for the existing classes. It seems like the changes are more logical refinements rather than complete overhauls. That's the way it should be.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

I still love that this questline is subtly trying to get new players to realize they can use all of their kit and not just heal.

Sadly, it was probably too subtle. :v:

Also you DPS-heal not because you don't want to be ~hoenesto~ but because you respect your own drat time, never mind everyone else's. I still maintain that a lot of hardcore honest healers haven't actually tried to maximize their DPS on trash especially, and then kept an eye on the clock comparing a no-DPS run to a DPS one. Especially when dealing with pubs who might not be good at DPS themselves.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The Sylphie story is a harrowing tale of bullying and peer pressure

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

As a one year veteran White Mage, it was too subtle

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"That doesn't apply to me, I'm a Scholar"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Berserk got nerfed from 50% to 30% so your sass falls on deaf ears!

I know, that's why I made sure to say "right now" :v:

homeless snail posted:

{Vote Dismiss}

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 23, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Xarbala posted:

"That doesn't apply to me, I'm a Scholar"

You can't make me heal either ! I've got a fairy healing the tank! That's good enough for most situations in roulette!

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The changes look great! I'm thinking I may jump back over to PLD from DRK since I prefer the aesthetic and now that they won't be poo poo at AoE I can run it in regular dungeons without feeling like I'm holding everyone back. Thinking I may main WHM for healer too, if just for the AF3.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are they going to do anything in Stormblood to make leveling alt classes less of a garbage fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Robo Reagan posted:

Are they going to do anything in Stormblood to make leveling alt classes less of a garbage fire?

Everyone is assuming the armory bonus in HW content will get bumped from 50 to 100% which is what happened to ARR when HW came out but otherwise I don't think so.

• Locked thread