Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

I don't think Snyder is stepping away from his film career. He's going to make more movies. Let the man grieve.

I didn't say he was leaving his film career or not going to make more movies or that I wasn't letting him grieve? I mean what I meant is all there. If I need to elaborate further I think it is healthy he tried to get back to work and equally healthy that he wants to support his family. While I want him to have plenty of time to grieve I look forward to his eventual return, I am a big fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guy A. Person posted:

I didn't say he was leaving his film career or not going to make more movies or that I wasn't letting him grieve? I mean what I meant is all there. If I need to elaborate further I think it is healthy he tried to get back to work and equally healthy that he wants to support his family. While I want him to have plenty of time to grieve I look forward to his eventual return, I am a big fan.

I was responding to your "I hope he doesn't leave the project entirely" bit, assuming you meant that you want him to somehow return to JL's post-production for some reason. Did you read the THR article? Snyder laid it out pretty clearly:

quote:

"In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was the way through it,” says an emotional Snyder in an interview Monday in his office on the Warner Bros. lot, with Deborah sitting by his side. “The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all-consuming. And in the last two months, I’ve come to the realization … I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time."

quote:

"I want the movie to be amazing and I’m a fan, but that all pales pretty quickly in comparison," he says. "I know the fans are going to be worried about the movie, but there are seven other kids that need me. In the end, it’s just a movie. It’s a great movie. But it’s just a movie."

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 23, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Equeen posted:

Zack dedicating JL to his daughter is gonna be a gut punch :(

That'll be the inappropriate suicide joke Whedon sneaks in.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I reread Irredeemable today and I was wondering if we're going to be hitting the point where we're at critical mass for the reboots of the mainstay/stream superheroes, and studios can kind of assume the general public has enough knowledge of the pastiche that we can see some different comic book movies.

Unless I'm completely missing out on some baller animated features or something.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ruddiger posted:

That'll be the inappropriate suicide joke Whedon sneaks in.

This doesn't even make sense.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Penpal posted:

I reread Irredeemable today and I was wondering if we're going to be hitting the point where we're at critical mass for the reboots of the mainstay/stream superheroes, and studios can kind of assume the general public has enough knowledge of the pastiche that we can see some different comic book movies.

Unless I'm completely missing out on some baller animated features or something.

That's a Mark Millar book, right? Just assume it will be a movie eventually.

It's funny that he didn't like the MCU Civil War for being too dark, though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The MSJ posted:

That's a Mark Millar book, right? Just assume it will be a movie eventually.
No Mark Waid, the Charlie Brown of comic creators.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I was grieving the last thing I wanted to do was work. The very very very last thing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

When I was grieving the last thing I wanted to do was work. The very very very last thing.

When my mum died (the day after Christmas), I was back to work the next work day. I worked Tuesday to Friday getting things in order before I took a couple of weeks off. And I hated, hated, hated my job. People grieve differently.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was back to work the next day and it was awful. I wish I took time off, because all that poo poo built up and knocked me down a month ago,.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, when my dad died I threw myself into work and school to avoid it. It didn't hit me until 6 months later when I was away from all that and had less distractions and then it knocked me on my rear end. People who met me during those 6 months didn't even recognize me when I came back. Grief is a crazy thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh god this is so sad. Suicide always gets to me, there's just something so inherently terrible about someone taking their own life. :smith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe we should change the title of the thread to Comic Book Movie Megathread: It's Just a Movie.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Phylodox posted:

Maybe we should change the title of the thread to Comic Book Movie Megathread: It's Just a Movie.

Comic Book Movie Megathread: It's Just a Movie Franchise

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

He was quoting Snyder though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Terrible news. My sincerest condolences and respect to all in this thread who have shared their experiences with loss.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

teagone posted:

He was quoting Snyder though.

I know - it just doesn't work for a megathread.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its sorta the Snyder thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter he is stepping away from Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star DC Comics superhero mega-movie that is in post-production, in order to deal with the sudden death of his daughter. Snyder's wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on Justice League, also is taking a break to focus on the healing of their family.

Wow, that's horrible-

quote:

Stepping in to shepherd the movie through post and the shooting of some additional scenes will be Joss Whedon, the Avengers filmmaker and creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With Whedon's help, the movie is still on track for its Nov. 17 release date.

Wow, that's hilarious.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

I had a friend who was killed in traffic a few years ago, I was actually at work when I found out. I was able to finish out the night (of course I stopped to get a very large bottle of liquor on the way home), but I had to work my other job the following night (it was an overnight baking job, Friday flowing into Saturday) and I got there and stayed about two hours before my boss sent me home because I was completely worthless. Even if the desire to work is there, to distract yourself, you're not going to be doing your best work regardless.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Wow, that's horrible-

Wow, that's hilarious.

I'm gonna be 100 percent honest, I learned this news because I saw Brad Liefeld tweet his sympathies to Snyder, searched on Twitter and found that exact Hollywood Reporter article, and even though I was on the border of tearing up reading about what happened to his daughter, I involuntarily smiled a little when I read about Joss Whedon finishing Justice League out of disbelief. Like, if it hadn't been announced right away it would be the "joke answer" to "well, who's going to direct the rest of it now?" I've always said a movie directed by Snyder and written by Whedon would strike the perfect balance between the DCEU and MCU.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This will be the first time in CineD history where we will be forced to endure Movie Battle with the same film competing against itself.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I was back to work the next day and it was awful. I wish I took time off, because all that poo poo built up and knocked me down a month ago,.

Phylodox posted:

When my mum died (the day after Christmas), I was back to work the next work day. I worked Tuesday to Friday getting things in order before I took a couple of weeks off. And I hated, hated, hated my job. People grieve differently.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know it doesn't mean much coming from a stranger on the internet, but I hope you guys feel better now. And if you don't, I hope the day fast approaches when you will.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thank you, that is very nice.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hope everyone can move past and heal.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I hope everyone can move past and heal.

Tell that to Zod's sna... ugh, I can't do it :smith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if people will stop complaining about Zack Snyder in completely unrelated media now, like King Arthur reviews.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wonder if people will stop complaining about Zack Snyder in completely unrelated media now, like King Arthur reviews.

you know full well the answer to this is no

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Was it publicly known before this announcement that Whedon had been brought on months ago to do a pass on the Justice League script and dialogue?

It seems to confirm that DC is going for the lighter tone going forward and that it isn't just a statement they are using in PR releases.

- People are saying that Wonder Woman is the first "MCU movie" in the DCCU.
- Whedon was brought in to do a pass on Justice League.
- Snyder wasn't going to be involved in MoS2 even before this.
- They've gone out of their way to mention that Wonder Woman and Justice League will be "funny."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the io9 article on this and thought it was gross that the comment section was entirely filled with people patting themselves on the back for not saying anything mean even though they hate Snyder. That's probably grosser to me than if they had just done it anyway.

This is obviously a tragedy for the Snyders and I hope for their sake they take as much time as they need without feeling pressured to get back to work before they're ready.

On the subject of Whedon coming in... I'm not really a fan of his, but I am interested in seeing what a combination of him and Snyder will be like, even though I know it will still be overwhelmingly Snyder's work. To be honest, while I loved Man of Steel and BvS, Wonder Woman looks great, I love Snyder in general, I was not really all that interested in the JL movie, at least from what's been shown so far. But I am genuinely curious now to see how well Whedon fits into that.

I do have the sneaking suspicion now that because Whedon is involved, critics are going to go way easier on it, but also that if it does get good reviews, it's going to be attributed to "Whedon's touch correcting Snyder" or whatever, even though Whedon's own stuff seems to be minimal, and I'm assuming his own contributions will be attempting to fit in with Snyder's tone (which is itself an interesting thing to think about).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- People are saying that Wonder Woman is the first "MCU movie" in the DCCU.

hosed up that people would ignore the academy award winner in the room

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Penpal posted:

There's been goof-offs of superhero movies for decades, from the Mystery Men to Super. But a big rear end studio doing it? That's what I'm hoping for in the next round of comic book movies. The price tag involved with these movies is going to be a huge obstacle to that though.

Re the Snyder news, it's still going to be very much his movie. The script is in place, and the Whedon touch-up seemed just like that, a touch up with an added scene here and there. It's really hard for anyone to have much of an impact on a movie when its already this far in the filming process.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I read the io9 article on this and thought it was gross that the comment section was entirely filled with people patting themselves on the back for not saying anything mean even though they hate Snyder. That's probably grosser to me than if they had just done it anyway.

After perusing Twitter I can assure you that no, it is not grosser than doing it anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

There's been goof-offs of superhero movies for decades, from the Mystery Men to Super. But a big rear end studio doing it? That's what I'm hoping for in the next round of comic book movies. The price tag involved with these movies is going to be a huge obstacle to that though.

Disney have been making comedies about people with super powers since the 60s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWFNRvq2GY
... mostly about college students using performance enhancing drugs to win contests. :v:
Note that the Absent-Minded Professor films were also set in the same fictional college, possibly making them the first super-powered shared cinematic universe.

Disney's first actual superhero comedy was Condorman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5LZmx9Vrg
It ends with a sequel hook but was a terrible flop at the box office so the sequel was cancelled.

Sadly the Disney Condorman was not related in any way to the earlier Japanese tokusatsu Condor Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3c8Ybxc10

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Disney have been making comedies about people with super powers since the 60s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWFNRvq2GY
... mostly about college students using performance enhancing drugs to win contests. :v:
Note that the Absent-Minded Professor films were also set in the same fictional college, possibly making them the first super-powered shared cinematic universe.

Is that Kurt Russel?!?!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yes, Kurt Russel famously got his start in Disney movies. There's even a story/rumor that the last thing Walt Disney ever said was "Kurt Russel..."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samovar posted:

Is that Kurt Russel?!?!

Yeah his first starring movie role was in the Disney film The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, the movie I posted was one of the sequels to that.

He also did the voice of Copper the hound in the classic animated Disney film The Fox and The Hound.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snyder posted this on his Vero account (kinda like twitter) this morning:

:unsmith:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It seems to confirm that DC is going for the lighter tone going forward and that it isn't just a statement they are using in PR releases.

So DC is telling Snyder to lighten up the film while he's in shock after his daughter kills herself? Poor bastard.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Justice League being lighter tone has been said since before the production began. I think Zack Snyder was the one who said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

Snyder posted this on his Vero account (kinda like twitter) this morning:

But since life goes on, here's a better look at the League's costumes sans Superman's

• Locked thread