Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

nothing to seehere posted:

Ah yes, it's not like USA is a net oil exporter now or that SA only controls about 8% of world oil production, or the UK have native oil production in the North Sea (for now). Keep believing that we must listen to SA over the oil, and not just because our government makes a fuckload of money off them.

Saudi Arabia are second in global oil reserves, with Venezuela being first (who by the way we talk to also, despite whatever the gently caress is going on in their country). After that your options are Iran, Iraq and the UAE. The only friendly nation with large oil reserves is Canada. The United States is pretty low ranked and the North Sea doesn't even get considered at all because its reverses twindled ages ago.

Whether you like it or not we're forced to talk to the Sauds, both for stability in the middle east and resources to the first world. Nobody likes it, everyone is fully aware of what the Sauds are, but the world isn't black and white. You don't go "we're not talking to you" without serious repercussions.

If it makes you feel better, in about hundred years time or so we'll probably all kill each other over the Arctic reserves. So look on the bright side!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rakosi posted:

How the gently caress did I get a month long probe for calling people on this poo poo and posters like you are still part of the zeitgeist around this thread?

I couldn't possibly comment.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

kustomkarkommando posted:

There was those chaps wot starved themselves to death. Was kind of a big deal at the time

As I was reliably informed on Facebook the other day, if you run a hunger strike and don't die at the end then it's an insult to the memory of Bobby Sands.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
For real though how can the Tories get mad at salafist terror attacks and then continue the relationship they have with Saudi Arabia. You can't take them seriously, they should be shouted off every podium they mount

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

For real though how can the Tories get mad at salafist terror attacks and then continue the relationship they have with Saudi Arabia.

Fathomless sums of money

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Terrorist attacks are quite emotive, even if we'd rather they weren't.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

WMain00 posted:

Whether you like it or not we're forced to talk to the Sauds, both for stability in the middle east and resources to the first world. Nobody likes it, everyone is fully aware of what the Sauds are, but the world isn't black and white. You don't go "we're not talking to you" without serious repercussions.

By what stretch of the imagination do our dealings with the Saudis contribute to stability in the middle east?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TomViolence posted:

By what stretch of the imagination do our dealings with the Saudis contribute to stability in the middle east?

For Strong and Stable government in the Middle East we most indiscriminately bomb Yemen and watch their refugees die of mass starvation. Otherwise the terrorists will win.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WMain00 posted:

Saudi Arabia are second in global oil reserves, with Venezuela being first (who by the way we talk to also, despite whatever the gently caress is going on in their country). After that your options are Iran, Iraq and the UAE. The only friendly nation with large oil reserves is Canada. The United States is pretty low ranked and the North Sea doesn't even get considered at all because its reverses twindled ages ago.

If it makes you feel better, in about hundred years time or so we'll probably all kill each other over the Arctic reserves. So look on the bright side!
We should spend a ton on Sasol process improvements and get the pits open again if oil's really that big a deal. That's the way that China were going.

Also nuclear + renewable for electrical energy generation, which is a good plan.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
My facebook feed is full of "this is sad and all but whats really bad is how the tories will spin this!".

I hate universities.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^Maybe it's a little gauche but you cant claim it isnt a valid and important perspective. The Tories are winning heavily based on two fluke events: brexit and a terrorist attack and are using both to ruin the UK.

I reckon campaigning will be resumed on late Thursday. That'll give the press terror headlines for three days and the Tories will have a big press announcement of something on Friday fed to the press the night before so they get glowing coverage and then it's the weekend and the manifesto shitshow that was Monday will be completely forgotten.

gently caress I was feeling really good yesterday.

namesake fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 23, 2017

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

WMain00 posted:

I didn't realise the only way to talk to Saudi Arabia is through an arms deal. Nobody is forcing us to enable the bombing of starving Yemeni kids and you're insane if you think people have made a legitimate decision to have cheaper fuel prices in exchange for an ever increasing body count in the Middle East. The topic is not discussed for the simple reason that it makes people too uncomfortable to think about it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Rakosi posted:

My facebook feed is full of "this is sad and all but whats really bad is how the tories will spin this!".

I hate universities.

They're not wrong, in a way. Terrorist incidents are terrible tragedies, but when governments react harming their own citizens to enact ineffective "prevention" measures, turning into a police-state, it's much worse, affecting millions of people over long periods of time and even increasing mortality in a furtive way.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Rakosi posted:

I hate universities.
I'll tell you what's really sad - it's how cunts like you are too shamefaced to show your face itt when it's business as usual, but as soon as some innocent people get torn to bits you cannot loving wait to get your "just asking questions" posting gloves on. gently caress off.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Rakosi posted:

I hate universities.

This is 100% correct though

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Rakosi posted:

I hate universities.

That is actually what is really bad. For thousands of people continued Tory government is a direct threat to their life already, and a Tory government coming in off the back of a terrorist attack is going to look at right-wing policies for dealing with it, which judging by newspaper columnists on Twitter are a sliding scale from internment camps to genocide.

This might be difficult to understand if you're stuck on understanding politics as a sort of suited-up football match.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scikar posted:

I didn't realise the only way to talk to Saudi Arabia is through an arms deal. Nobody is forcing us to enable the bombing of starving Yemeni kids and you're insane if you think people have made a legitimate decision to have cheaper fuel prices in exchange for an ever increasing body count in the Middle East. The topic is not discussed for the simple reason that it makes people too uncomfortable to think about it.

Look mate we didn't destabilise Iraq and cause a foreverwar with Islam to then go and pay £2/litre. Get your thinking cap on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

For real though how can the Tories get mad at salafist terror attacks and then continue the relationship they have with Saudi Arabia.
Selling weapons to the Saudis is one of the new crossbench policies in British politics.

Hope the UKMT posters from the Manchester neck of the woods are alright.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I imagine this was timed (by the attacker) at least in part to influence the elections

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rakosi posted:

I hate universities.

Given you were making GBS threads triumphantly in here about Jo Cox being gunned down in the street I don't think you have the right to decry other peoples' reactions to a tragedy.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

We must have at least a few Ariana Grande fans in here.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

TomViolence posted:

Saudi Arabia and Iran are in a cold war over religious differences and Israel. The Sauds are less of a threat toward Israeli security, whereas Iran would quite happily threaten or attack Israel. If the Sauds weren't in the way, then Iran would be a serious threat. Any attack on Israel would likely lead to nuclear stand off and since said stand off would be based on religous grounds, rather than political ala the US/Russia, you can fully expect things to heat up into nuclear annihilation. Kiss goodbye to the Middle East.

Stability of Saudi Arabia is tied to stability of the world. Without one you don't have the other.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Yes, I hope that people are safe and my condolences go out to the victims and their families.

As a minor aside, I want to mention that my postal vote arrived earlier today for the goon who was asking about them many many pages back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Look mate we didn't destabilise Iraq and cause a foreverwar with Islam to then go and pay £2/litre. Get your thinking cap on.
Petrol in South Africa is still 40p cheaper than the UK, and that includes nationalized third party insurance for every driver as a percentage of the fuel price. You can do fun things when you make your own fuel.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

I'll tell you what's really sad - it's how cunts like you are too shamefaced to show your face itt when it's business as usual, but as soon as some innocent people get torn to bits you cannot loving wait to get your "just asking questions" posting gloves on. gently caress off.

Calm down, DnD is not a place just for regulars. It's a place for debate and discussions, and everyone is welcome, whether they post regularly or want to chime in only when huge events occur.

I don't post here, hardly ever, but read it a lot. There seems to be an uncomfortable "regulars only" attitude here sometimes. The group only becomes stronger for letting everyone visit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WMain00 posted:

Saudi Arabia and Iran are in a cold war over religious differences and Israel. The Sauds are less of a threat toward Israeli security, whereas Iran would quite happily threaten or attack Israel. If the Sauds weren't in the way, then Iran would be a serious threat. Any attack on Israel would likely lead to nuclear stand off and since said stand off would be based on religous grounds, rather than political ala the US/Russia, you can fully expect things to heat up into nuclear annihilation. Kiss goodbye to the Middle East.

Stability of Saudi Arabia is tied to stability of the world. Without one you don't have the other.

Oh you're one of those insane people who think that THE LIONS OF SAUD are the only thing stopping Iran from bombing Israel, when in reality Iran is more concerned with not being nuked by the US, UK and France for trying anything more drastic than flicking Israel the bird.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
We should have gone full nuclear/renewables a long time ago. Fossil fuels and the world's greed for them have destroyed any chance of stability for the whole Middle Eastern peoples.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i imagine this is going to change now

https://twitter.com/JoshuaJamesBott...plosion-england

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

WMain00 posted:

This is the plot of an unpublished Tom Clancy novel and has only the most tenuous of resemblances to actual geopolitical realities.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Funso Banjo posted:

Calm down, DnD is not a place just for regulars. It's a place for debate and discussions, and everyone is welcome, whether they post regularly or want to chime in only when huge events occur.

I don't post here, hardly ever, but read it a lot. There seems to be an uncomfortable "regulars only" attitude here sometimes. The group only becomes stronger for letting everyone visit.
UKMT is not "regulars only" it's non-nazis--slavery-aologists-and-white-supremacists only - an amazingly low bar to summit, and yet so many fail.
And no, the thread isn't stronger for their presence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TomViolence posted:

This is the plot of an unpublished Tom Clancy novel and has only the most tenuous of resemblances to actual geopolitical realities.

The Sum of All Right-Wing Fever Dreams

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The UK's reliance on Saudi oil as a defence for enabling global terrorism and human rights abuses loses a bit of its sheen when you see how the Tories work to undermine investment in renewable energies

WMain00 posted:

Look at this post. Look at it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

They weren't, though. The bomb went off in the foyer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

UKMT is not "regulars only" it's non-nazis--slavery-aologists-and-white-supremacists only - an amazingly low bar to summit, and yet so many fail.
And no, the thread isn't stronger for their presence.

My man have you considered that if we just gave genocide a try we'd find we'd enjoy it a lot? Just asking questions... *unsuccessfully tries to hide mein kampf behind back*

haakman
May 5, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

Yeah but no. It's more like we don't tolerate racist cunts posting "just asking questions" bullshit.

This thread is incredibly welcoming to non disingenuous twats with different viewpoints. I'm not a regular and have been welcomed with open arms. I assume because I'm not a can't.

You won't however get far with the "we should engage with them otherwise we are the bad guys" liberalism ITT.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

My man have you considered that if we just gave genocide a try we'd find we'd enjoy it a lot? Just asking questions... *unsuccessfully tries to hide mein kampf behind back*

You mean more genocide.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Funso Banjo posted:

The group only becomes stronger for letting everyone visit.

Ah I see you're yet to meet Intrinsic Field Marshall

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

We should have gone full nuclear/renewables a long time ago. Fossil fuels and the world's greed for them have destroyed any chance of stability for the whole Middle Eastern peoples.
This of this poor old noble savages lark. There are very sharp people with an interest in maintaining power over the Arabian Peninsula, and they played the Americans and British off one another as much as they were the victims of their influence. For the average local well they have about as much control over their destiny as people do anywhere, which is to say not that much.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

You mean more genocide.

I meant if we-in-this-thread took part in the current genocides our hateful country perpetrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ah I see you're yet to meet Intrinsic Field Marshall

Not to mention our regular shitheads such as hakimashou and the Gassy Nazi.

• Locked thread