Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Psycho Society posted:

The backlash I was talking about was Shia Muslims against Sunnis.

Oh well THATS better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The vast majority of young Arabs are increasingly rejecting Islamic State and believe the extremist group will fail to establish a caliphate, a poll has found.

Only 13% of Arab youths said they could imagine themselves supporting Isis even if it did not use much violence, down from 19% last year, while 50% saw it as the biggest problem facing the Middle East, up from 37% last year, according to the 2016 Arab Youth Survey.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/12/vast-majority-young-arabs-isis-shunning-poll

quote:

Recent attacks in Paris, Beirut and Baghdad linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have once again brought terrorism and Islamic extremism to the forefront of international relations. According to newly released data that the Pew Research Center collected in 11 countries with significant Muslim populations, people from Nigeria to Jordan to Indonesia overwhelmingly expressed negative views of ISIS.

One exception was Pakistan, where a majority offered no definite opinion of ISIS. The nationally representative surveys were conducted as part of the Pew Research Center’s annual global poll in April and May this year.

In no country surveyed did more than 15% of the population show favorable attitudes toward Islamic State. And in those countries with mixed religious and ethnic populations, negative views of ISIS cut across these lines.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/17/in-nations-with-significant-muslim-populations-much-disdain-for-isis/

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Secular Humanist posted:

Yes Sunni has much more influence. Iran is still a place that exists. You were saying we shouldn't criticize it or something?

I’m saying you’re wasting your breath trying to pin the blame Iranians and Lebanese for these attacks. The only hope to come out of it is some other dumbfuck military adventure that can only end with the Saudis spreading influence of their backwards poo poo religion further into the region.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Jukebox Hero posted:

Then we kill all republicans

actually devout muslims have more in common with republicans than democrats, sorry

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I’m saying you’re wasting your breath trying to pin the blame Iranians and Lebanese for these attacks. The only hope to come out of it is some other dumbfuck military adventure that can only end with the Saudis spreading influence of their backwards poo poo religion further into the region.

Oh cause I thought you were saying "Why criticize anything other than Sunni islam specifically?" and immediately my brain goes "because there are millions of people immiserated by shia islam also"

But I agree we shouldn't blame iran or lebanon for this particular attack.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The article says the questions "are not linked to 'ISIL' or the violence the organization is exercising?" Huh?

And the survey interviewed little kids, not high school students?

"I det som må ses på som et gedigent nederlag for norske myndigheter og rødgrønne politikeres innvandringspolitikk de siste 50 årene, så viser en nylig undersøkelse blant skoleungdommer på Østlandet at over 25 prosent støtter den muslimske terrorgruppen Islamsk Stat (IS)."

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The article says the questions "are not linked to 'ISIL' or the violence the organization is exercising?" Huh?

And the survey interviewed little kids, not high school students?

look, buddy, don't go asking questions around here alright just take it easy buddy

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

actually devout muslims have more in common with republicans than democrats, sorry

what??! NO!

muslims are my favorite pet demographic to virtue signal about, so I really need them to all be one homogeneous monolith that's like me if you don't mind

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Islamic radicalism should be stopped and only a strong republican president with the support of congress can resolve this issue. Liberals, look out.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
One small relief: the Daily Mail hasn't gone into full-blown racist bigotry mode over this, which is something.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
on one hand it sucks that people died.

on the other hand, my really annoying, immature, fat, boorish coworker is from Manchester

it's a wash I'd say

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Heinz Hynkel posted:

"I det som må ses på som et gedigent nederlag for norske myndigheter og rødgrønne politikeres innvandringspolitikk de siste 50 årene, så viser en nylig undersøkelse blant skoleungdommer på Østlandet at over 25 prosent støtter den muslimske terrorgruppen Islamsk Stat (IS)."
"– Spørsmålene er ikke knyttet til «ISIL» eller den volden organisasjonen utøver, sier Kragset.

– Undersøkelsen viser at det er flere ungdomsskoleelever som støtter Syria-farere. Er det grunn til å tro at vi har en ung generasjon som nå vokser opp med en ny type holdning?

– Nei. Jeg tror dette viser at ungdomsskoleelever ikke er like reflekterte eller har like stor kunnskap om det som skjer i Syria, som videregåendeelever."

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Islamic radicalism should be stopped and only a strong republican president with the support of congress can resolve this issue. Liberals, look out.

This won't happen until they grow a big enough spine to criticize the Sauds

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

But I thought Muslims were supposed to be 100% murderous demons to a man, just like how every Christian on the planet is a racist southern gently caress deserving of death?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I can't wait until Trump solves this terrorism issue once and for all and all the cuck liberals cry in their baby cribs.

It's gone be great.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
here's every conversation about this topic for the next 2 weeks:

sane people: "80% of men report liking red shirts. how can we change this?"

far right: "80% more like 100% amirite?!"

far left: "did you know that 20% of men DON'T like red shirts you loving biggot??"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

I can't wait until Trump solves this terrorism issue once and for all and all the cuck liberals cry in their baby cribs.

It's gone be great.

Would you say that Trump will find a final solution

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

It's gone be great.

Do this, he would have to become the leader of ISIS

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
i'm the poster complaining that D&D doesn't offer rational discourse then comes to GBS and screams at people who don't agree all Muslims are cave-dwelling terrists

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

It's gone be great.

He can use his magic orb to find them

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

He can use his magic orb to find them

"I actually invented scry and die, it's just the best, I've got some good good wizard friends who were like, this is gunna change everything, it's gunna be yuge"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Secular Humanist posted:

here's every conversation about this topic for the next 2 weeks:

sane people: "80% of men report liking red shirts. how can we change this?"

far right: "80% more like 100% amirite?!"

far left: "did you know that 20% of men DON'T like red shirts you loving biggot??"

only like 22 people died, no way its worth 2 weeks of discussion

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
If only all liberals could just realize that Islam is bad then nobody would ever get blown up again.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i used to be a leftist but this terror attack has opened my eyes and now im ready to be rude to the guy at the kebab shop

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How do you feel about the fact that your governments are willing to let a few citizens die in exchange for ISIS advancing their interests in the Middle East?

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

"– Spørsmålene er ikke knyttet til «ISIL» eller den volden organisasjonen utøver, sier Kragset.

– Undersøkelsen viser at det er flere ungdomsskoleelever som støtter Syria-farere. Er det grunn til å tro at vi har en ung generasjon som nå vokser opp med en ny type holdning?

– Nei. Jeg tror dette viser at ungdomsskoleelever ikke er like reflekterte eller har like stor kunnskap om det som skjer i Syria, som videregåendeelever."

"I alt 2.227 elever svarte på undersøkelsen. Av disse svarte 279 elever at de «I stor grad» eller «Svært stor grad» støtter terrorister som reiser til Syria for å delta i massedrap mot uskyldige mennesker. 311 elever svarte at de «I noen grad» støtter de som reiser for å bli med i terrorgruppen. Det gir tilsammen 590 elever som i mer eller mindre grad har et positivt syn på IS."

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

If only all liberals could just realize that Islam is bad then nobody would ever get blown up again.

You have to be mentally ill if you don't realize islam is bad. or simply be a liberal. Its pretty much the same thing. Treatment for the mentally ill but death camps for liberals!

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Shia are good. Baathists are good. Gaddafi was good.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

i used to be a leftist but this terror attack has opened my eyes and now im ready to be rude to the guy at the kebab shop

Same, no longer will I accept the opium of the masses that is garlic mayonnaise on donner, I see the glistening, rotating meat stick for what it really is, a vile expression of hatred not only against my health and piss heads across the nation, but western civilization as we know it

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
A big problem is that if you're a potential Muslim ally in combating Islamism, you kinda have to keep it to yourself lest you get beheaded by your neighbor. Just look at what keeps happening in places like bangladesh (often cited as "moderate"). Even posting anonymously, secular reform Muslims are getting literally hunted down and hacked to death with machetes.

There are a few public Muslim reformers who, if liberals had any god drat sense, would be supporting. People like Maajid Nawaz, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Faisal Al Mutar, Sarah Haider, Ali Rizvi, and Maryam Namazie. Pretty much all of whom have insane security concerns everywhere they go.

But nawww, all it takes is one meek muslim woman in a hijab saying "this is empowering!" and liberals line up to support conservative religious slut shaming. Orientalist as gently caress, and it comes exclusively from "progressives".

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Heinz Hynkel posted:

You have to be mentally ill if you don't realize islam is bad. or simply be a liberal. Its pretty much the same thing. Treatment for the mentally ill but death camps for liberals!

I don't think Islam is worse than any other religion. Sorry that upsets you. I realize radical Islam is a problem, but nobody really has a solution and I guarantee you they won't find one.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

:britain:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Being an engineer seems to make you a terrorist. I think we should put them all on a list and monitor them carefully

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

I don't think Islam is worse than any other religion. Sorry that upsets you. I realize radical Islam is a problem, but nobody really has a solution and I guarantee you they won't find one.

Also any solution would require long term planning and commitment.

So its never going to happen lol

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Imho all muslims and muslim-lovers/apologists should be sent back to their muslim countries, let's see how much they enjoy defending muhammad's good name on the internet when they actually have to live with them instead of perceiving them as those quaint minorities from the other side of town who eat uh... *reads note* "kebab"?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Except for Pakistanis apparently. Which is a problem for Britain...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Kebabs are pretty tasty if cooked well

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Being an engineer seems to make you a terrorist. I think we should put them all on a list and monitor them carefully

The stem of all evil

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

just told the cab driver to go back to islamistan and i feel safer already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

These young men radicalize because they believe they have nothing to lose, which isn’t quite correct. Hold their entire families as collateral if they fail to report them to the authorities.

• Locked thread