Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bareback Werewolf posted:

No, I mean the literal field of mathematics they invented. While Christianity was going through a dark age Islam was going through a period of enlightenment.

You can't just attribute poo poo to the inventors religion. Can you imagine how much credit that would give Christians and Jews which is universally not given for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Creamed Cormp posted:

*torso full of shrapnel, left arm blown of, right leg severed at the knee in the explosion, I struggle for air as my lungs slowly fill with blood. I manage to grab my cellphone and even though life is quickly esqcaping from me I connect to the something awful dot com forums. I start a new thread as my vision gets blurry*

"rember islam gav us algbra"

Islam's level of violence really isn't much different than Christians, it's just that the big churches made Christianity acceptable to modern audiences and not all of Islam has caught up yet.

For what it's worth I think the 'crazy people' of any religion are generally the ones actually following their religion, it's just that these religions are also loaded with insanity so that's not a good thing.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Hogge Wild posted:

there they cut off your ear if they don't like your face :ohdear:

That's it, I've had it, I hate to be dramatic but time for me to fly the coop

From here on in, I'm lookin' out for me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

You can't just attribute poo poo to the inventors religion. Can you imagine how much credit that would give Christians and Jews which is universally not given.
In that case you also can't attribute violence to it.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i mean it's pretty obvs that islamic civilization was superior at one point, just toggle the economy mapmode in crusader kings II.

constaninople is hard to beat but the muslims have baghdad and granada

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*screams allahu ackbar while inventing calculus*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Islam's level of violence really isn't much different than Christians, it's just that the big churches made Christianity acceptable to modern audiences and not all of Islam has caught up yet.
This is a myth. It's something that sounds good and makes sense but isn't actually true. It ignores the 20th-century history of both religions. There is still tons of Christian violence happening, and a huge amount in the 20th century. And it disregards how the Middle East was transformed from the end of World War 1 to now. Recent history plays a much larger part in this than a linear idea of how religions develop.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hahahaha

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FactsAreUseless posted:

I invented a thing! : religion did it
I killed in the name of religion! : not religion

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

paul_soccer10 posted:

*screams allahu ackbar while inventing calculus*

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mr.Tophat posted:

That's it, I've had it, I hate to be dramatic but time for me to fly the coop

From here on in, I'm lookin' out for me

it's barbaric

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I invented a thing! : religion did it
I killed in the name of religion! : not religion
Yes, this is my point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's almost as though arguments about whether Islam is responsible for terrorism or math or whether it ever contributed anything to world civilizations are reductionist and dumb.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
scientists invented peaceful nuclear power and the atomic bomb

the duality of man

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Could it be that Islam in the Middle East is going through their dark ages right now, suppressing knowledge and repressing their own people and shunning the advances in the rest of the world? Historically what does it take to bring a region out of a dark age?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You should all watch Monkey Dust. In particular, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIvrJ-v03zY

This was broadcast in 2003-5

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

935 posted:

Could it be that Islam in the Middle East is going through their dark ages right now, suppressing knowledge and repressing their own people and shunning the advances in the rest of the world? Historically what does it take to bring a region out of a dark age?
Domes.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

it's barbaric

It's okay, once I find out where my dad is, I'm gunna turn everything into gold to save the economy and everything will be sorted before you can say "street-rat"

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

935 posted:

touching the orb and selling them billions of dollars worth of weapons

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

935 posted:

funny enough it would mean resurrecting some form of pan-islamic caliphate

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr.Tophat posted:

It's okay, once I find out where my dad is, I'm gunna turn everything into gold to save the economy and everything will be sorted before you can say "street-rat"

I don't like your face

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm going to LOL real hard if it turns out to be some alt-right redpill dipshit. Let's face it. If this attack was aimed at women and girls specifically it could've come from any number of loser incel factions out there. God knows, that's something they all seem to have in common.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

maybe that's why saudis are buying weapons for hundreds of billions of dollars

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Thundercracker posted:

I'm going to LOL real hard if it turns out to be some alt-right redpill dipshit. Let's face it. If this attack was aimed at women and girls specifically it could've come from any number of loser incel factions out there. God knows, that's something they all seem to have in common.

The muslim loser incel faction is strong too though. Don't count them out!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZxh0Hwby0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zUkojbRbro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UApgalxKXjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIH_0l8AUX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoONe3kyYb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2v73SOD_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kx42iADJCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PjvsEh64BU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I don't like your face

Behave Abu

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Nah the proper modern wedge against theocracy is racial tension. A new pan-Arab state. Then let them fight the Persians

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Shaocaholica posted:

You can't just attribute poo poo to the inventors religion. Can you imagine how much credit that would give Christians and Jews which is universally not given for good reason.

He's just arguing meaningless bullshit for idealogical points. He's gonna just go LOL LIBCUCK if you counter him in any way.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wonder why Muslims are radicalized

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So was the concert over? Do people get refunds?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Jukebox Hero posted:

He's just arguing meaningless bullshit for idealogical points. He's gonna just go LOL LIBCUCK if you counter him in any way.

don't sign your posts buddy

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I wonder why Muslims are radicalized

All the people talking about how they should be exterminated for the good of humanity has them really loving jumpy.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

don't sign your posts buddy

Mods, requesting namechange to "LOL LIBCUCK if you counter him in any way"

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

sad to report that the Cars 3 event at Cannes was cancelled

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The muslim loser incel faction is strong too though. Don't count them out!

Oh, I know. Don't get me wrong. That's a good bet. But once in a while it does turn out to be some right-wing gubber like McVeigh and Breivik and everyone has to do a record-scratch and try to explain it away.

Shits getting weirder too. Like, that white neo-nazi dude the other day who converted to Islam just to have an excuse to kill his other neo-nazi roomates because they wouldn't stop making GBS threads on him even though they were all nazis.

I'm really hoping the nazis don't band together with the muslim extremists over their shared hatred of women. Then we'd all be proper hosed.

Although, it was kinda funny seeing the alt-right try to spin Trump's middle-east tour and how the Saudis were now the good muslims.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Maya Fey posted:

sad to report that the Cars 3 event at Cannes was cancelled

Lol. Cars 3 should have a overtly Muslim truck.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Jukebox Hero posted:

All the people talking about how they should be exterminated for the good of humanity has them really loving jumpy.

does this apply to all the groups you hate, too?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

did D&D ever figure out if it was a speaker or a balloon that killed all these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:thunk:

• Locked thread