Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Dry hop everything, hail satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jo3sh posted:

I know a Kolsch ought to use noble hops, but the brew shop had Mandarina Bavaria in stock and I decided to jump on it. Setting up for brew day now.

Those are tasty hops. I see nothing wrong with this.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is a good idea.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I just got ingredients for a Kolsch earlier today myself. Briefly considered getting some hops for a dry hop and decided against it; these recent posts are kinda making me regret my decision.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

I know a Kolsch ought to use noble hops, but the brew shop had Mandarina Bavaria in stock and I decided to jump on it. Setting up for brew day now.

Isn't mandarina a noble derivative? Close as. Also, it's just for bittering, so who cares

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I did additions at 15 min. and in the whirlpool as well, so we'll see. Style, schmyle. It's going to drink very nicely.

Oh, in other news, the Cereal Killer did a great job. I drove it with my old corded drill, and that worked fine. I'm definitely going to be setting up my old motor for it, though. I also need to build a larger hopper.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 21, 2017

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've been drinking a LOT of NEIPAs lately and I'm with this guy because late additions/dry hops are the force majeure.

Also, Hail Satan either way.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So outside of a wort chiller that I can dip into the wort, whats a good way to chill the wort? I dont have much room in my place for really anything other than an ice bath but theres not a whole buch if room for that either in my sink.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I use a frozen 4 litre water bottle (sanitized, of course) as a ghetto wort chiller, + cold water bath.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Unfunny Poster posted:

So outside of a wort chiller that I can dip into the wort, whats a good way to chill the wort? I dont have much room in my place for really anything other than an ice bath but theres not a whole buch if room for that either in my sink.

I don't have a wort chiller -- no garden hose hookup outside at my place, and I don't really like the idea of wasting that much water anyways. Or spending $100+ on a wort chiller.

I picked up a big plastic tub at a discount store... no idea how many litres it holds, but fits a 30L fermenter no problem. Normally I use it as a laundry hamper. On brew days I fill it up with frozen PET bottles and ice bricks (I freeze water in bread pans the night before) + water. It's not as fast as a wort chiller but it works well enough.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Unfunny Poster posted:

Ice bath is what most people do

If you can afford it, you could buy a small plate chiller. They take up a lot less space and you don't have to have a pump to use it.

No-chill brewing may also be an option but the HDPE container for that probably takes up as much space as an immersion chiller would.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Brewed this today:

4lbs 2-Row
4lbs Wheat Malt
1lb Honey Malt

Mash at 152 for 60 min.

All Mosaic
0.25oz at 60 min.
0.75oz at 15 min.
1oz at Flame out

US-05 for the yeast.

I was about a point low on my SG but close enough for government work. Didn't have any carbon scoring on my elements this time so big plus. Tasted pretty good before going into the fermenter. Be interesting to see how this one comes out. I love brewing but drat do I hate the clean-up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I don't have a wort chiller -- no garden hose hookup outside at my place, and I don't really like the idea of wasting that much water anyways. Or spending $100+ on a wort chiller.

I picked up a big plastic tub at a discount store... no idea how many litres it holds, but fits a 30L fermenter no problem. Normally I use it as a laundry hamper. On brew days I fill it up with frozen PET bottles and ice bricks (I freeze water in bread pans the night before) + water. It's not as fast as a wort chiller but it works well enough.

Sounds good, guess I'll invest in something like this.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I went to the Rennaisance Faire today... now I have a drinking horn to drink my home brew from.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I went to the Rennaisance Faire today... now I have a drinking horn to drink my home brew from.

They're an absolute bitch to clean though.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I saw multiple people with those at Dark Lord Day and they look ungainly as gently caress. Mostly because at big festivals like that, you're not crushing 60oz at a time, but more or less getting 2-3oz pours as someone passes a bottle around.

But they look cool, which matters.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would do one of the carved horn mugs, but there's no way I could justify buying and then drinking an entire horn worth of beer on any sort of regular basis. It would just end up sitting there.

Brewing a (Non)Standard Bitter this week (US hops, because Cascade is tasty). I had been using 1028 for it, but I'm going to use 1968 this time instead. 1968 is just so very fast and does a good job highlighting the malts. I did a London Brown Porter with 2lbs of Thomas Faucet brown malt and it just tastes a whole new level from when I was using 1028 for it.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I want to do something similar to Mountain Brew because I like the idea of making ridiculous neon beer. Can I add the sugar content of Mountain Dew under the 'corn syrup' preset in Beersmith to estimate how fermentable it'll be?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

triple clutcher posted:

I want to do something similar to Mountain Brew because I like the idea of making ridiculous neon beer. Can I add the sugar content of Mountain Dew under the 'corn syrup' preset in Beersmith to estimate how fermentable it'll be?

I would calculate the sugar content of the soda in grams and then just add it as corn sugar. Then just treat the rest of it as water. One can of Mountain Dew is 46 grams of sugar, so you're looking at 1.104kg of sugar for the 24 cans.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

triple clutcher posted:

gently caress that, make a gatorade berliner, it's got electrolytes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
It's not a giant massive thng. It can hold about 16 ounces.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

Jhet posted:

Brewing a (Non)Standard Bitter this week (US hops, because Cascade is tasty). I had been using 1028 for it, but I'm going to use 1968 this time instead. 1968 is just so very fast and does a good job highlighting the malts. I did a London Brown Porter with 2lbs of Thomas Faucet brown malt and it just tastes a whole new level from when I was using 1028 for it.

This is exciting to hear. I'm brewing a porter tomorrow with a pound and a half of Fawcett brown malt and I'm using 1968 as well.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Update from me:

My wife and I just had our first child, a girl. I had brewed a clone of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (called "Little Foot") that I'm going to keg and then bottle off. I'm going to let Little Foot age for a while and enjoy one for big occasions. I'm starting to think I want to get into aging some bigger beers, then drinking them far into the future and/or give them as gifts to people that could appreciate the time/effort. I used the second runnings to make a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale'ish thing. Both of those are currently fermented off. The Bigfoot went a little nuts and ended with an FG/OG of 1.095/1.012, which gives me a ABV of ~11%.

I bottled off the rest of a Farmhouse'ish thing that I fermented using some Jester King dregs. Very lactic sour'ish. Going to sit on the rest of the bottles for a while and see what develops since I only brewed and kegged it a few months ago.

The only thing left in the kegs is a Czech Pils and an American Wheat-type thing that I made, similar to St. Arnold's Weedwacker. Both are delicious and dangerous because I can find myself into 3-4 pints real quick without even thinking about it.

Also got my fresh pitch of WLP835 German Lager X from the White Labs Vault two weeks ago. I want to make a Munich Helles and/or a Negra Modelo'ish Vienna Lager with it. I'm also starting to think about wanting to make a Belgian Dark Strong/Quad. Have a couple of ideas, but haven't firmed up exactly how I want to do it.

In looking over my emails this week, I found myself on Austin Homebrew's page. Apparently, they've put all their recipes online. Some of the clone recipes are waaaaaaaaay off, but I've found it interesting to read through their extensive library of recipes this morning.

Also, they are starting to sell their kits (which I don't usually buy anyways, but whatever) where the bittering hops aren't explicitly given, but instead they give you a bittering charge in terms of HBU's. So say you needed to bitter 10 HBU's, they would give you Type X (an unknown) hop in a certain quantity that was measured to give you the exact amount of bittering you would need for the recipe in question. I just found it interesting, considering how I've lately had to dose a large amount of German lager recipes with a huge amount of Hersbrucker at 2.2%, Mittelfrüh at 3%, and a Czech Pils with Saaz at 2.2% (which I chose to dose with Magnum instead).

Finally, I've had a little time off work so it's allowed me to do a little reading. Breezed through the Barleywine and Munich Helles classic styles book and am now skimming through Radical Brewing. The book is interesting in how it presents different ingredients to introduce into your beers. I went into it thinking it was a little silly, but then have kind of convinced myself that there are some recipes in there that would be fun to try (Chocolate Mint Stout, I'm looking at you). Also I think it's a little funny that the book was written before pumpkin beer became all the rage (and then died down and got shunned). Probably will finish that one early this week and start on Brew Like a Monk since I'm thinking about that Belgian Dark Strong.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 22, 2017

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Hey, congrats on the little Laser!

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

gently caress that, make a gatorade berliner, it's got electrolytes.
... do they make Gatorade with fermentable sugars? Novelty brew #2 here I come.

Incidentally, I wanted to use up some of the leftover ingredients from my barleywine experiment so I threw together a ~4.5 ABV version yesterday ( barleywine cooler? ) ... then a few hours ago I realized I used massively incorrect hops ( Cluster instead of Falconer's Flight 7C ). I spent some time brainstorming possible solutions, and in the end I decided to throw some Wakatu in my other fermentor as a dry hop. I can't tell if I'm learning to improvise or if I need to work on consistency and proper labeling.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Made a summer ale out of a brew kit for the first time after a long hiatus. Long story short, brewing isn't like riding a bike, and also I somehow lost my hydrometer tube. I have no idea what my OG is, so here's hoping. I also used old B-Brite, so here's hoping it didn't lose potency - I picked up some StarSan and PBW to use for next time. The whole thing is bubbling along with a healthy looking krausen, so I'm not worried.

The SO doesn't like the smell of boiling wort, but luckily our new place is big enough (and the door on the kitchen tight enough) that I think she can live with it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

triple clutcher posted:

... do they make Gatorade with fermentable sugars? Novelty brew #2 here I come.

Incidentally, I wanted to use up some of the leftover ingredients from my barleywine experiment so I threw together a ~4.5 ABV version yesterday ( barleywine cooler? ) ... then a few hours ago I realized I used massively incorrect hops ( Cluster instead of Falconer's Flight 7C ). I spent some time brainstorming possible solutions, and in the end I decided to throw some Wakatu in my other fermentor as a dry hop. I can't tell if I'm learning to improvise or if I need to work on consistency and proper labeling.

The original Gatorade is sucrose and dextrose. Your body is not in the mood to digest complex sugars while in the middle of a work out. I'd stay away from any of their gatorade recovery products as they all contain protein (I believe in the form of whey). It would depend on which one you're making, but I'd probably still use some malt in limited quantity to make a malt beverage in the same idea as that Mike's Hard Lemonade stuff. Could be interesting, but I think I'd rather focus on brewing and filling a keg with radler for the summer.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

triple clutcher posted:

I can't tell if I'm learning to improvise or if I need to work on consistency and proper labeling.

Por que no los dos? (jaunty mexican tune plays in the background)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm in the midst of a mad dash to get as many batches ready for the early summer as possible. My wife's cousin is getting married in six weeks, and my father-in-law wants to bring as many batches of homebrew as can fit in his truck from Michigan to Oklahoma.
We currently have:
A Belgian Strong Dark carbing in bottles
Moose Drool clone in secondary
Citra Pale ale in primary
and on Saturday we're going to be doing a 60-minute type IPA with some hops that got gifted to us.
If we can squeeze it in, we also have a grapefruit sculpin clone kit that's otherwise going to sit, so maybe the first week in June we can knock that guy out.
The big effort will be to drink the half of the belgian strong dark batch that is still in the keg, but we all must make sacrifices, I suppose.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

https://www.beermerchants.com/lervig-x-evil-twin-big-rear end-money-stout/

I'm actually a little upset that I really liked this stupid, stupid concept of a beer so much.

I'm glad I drank it before I read about it. Doesn't taste anything like the monstrous abv, in a good way.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I think I managed to get three dodgy used PET bottles recently. I haven't had an infection in years and I finally got one and it was in my god drat tripel karmeliet clone attempt :( bandaids through the nose and wouldn't hold a head. The kegged but if I was fine

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

LaserWash posted:

I just found it interesting, considering how I've lately had to dose a large amount of German lager recipes with a huge amount of Hersbrucker at 2.2%, Mittelfrüh at 3%, and a Czech Pils with Saaz at 2.2% (which I chose to dose with Magnum instead).

Finally, I've had a little time off work so it's allowed me to do a little reading. Breezed through the Barleywine and Munich Helles classic styles book and am now skimming through Radical Brewing. The book is interesting in how it presents different ingredients to introduce into your beers. I went into it thinking it was a little silly, but then have kind of convinced myself that there are some recipes in there that would be fun to try (Chocolate Mint Stout, I'm looking at you). Also I think it's a little funny that the book was written before pumpkin beer became all the rage (and then died down and got shunned). Probably will finish that one early this week and start on Brew Like a Monk since I'm thinking about that Belgian Dark Strong.

Congrats on the baby, Laser!

The thing with German hops is that they went on this hop development drive (that resulted in Huell Melon, etc) precisely because in ze Spirit of German Efficiency they wanted a bittering hop they wouldn't have to use tons of. Turns out they're actually aromatic so win-win.

Also chocolate mint stout sounds like a nice idea, but ends up being mouthwash VERY easily. Watch out with it, basically.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm in the midst of a mad dash to get as many batches ready for the early summer as possible. My wife's cousin is getting married in six weeks, and my father-in-law wants to bring as many batches of homebrew as can fit in his truck from Michigan to Oklahoma.
We currently have:
A Belgian Strong Dark carbing in bottles
Moose Drool clone in secondary
Citra Pale ale in primary
and on Saturday we're going to be doing a 60-minute type IPA with some hops that got gifted to us.
If we can squeeze it in, we also have a grapefruit sculpin clone kit that's otherwise going to sit, so maybe the first week in June we can knock that guy out.
The big effort will be to drink the half of the belgian strong dark batch that is still in the keg, but we all must make sacrifices, I suppose.

If you have the brewing time available, I've found that I can turn around a wheat beer pretty fast. Also a bonus as they tend to be lower alcohol, which will be nice if it's hot out. For a double bonus, they don't need time to clarify. :v:

That said, I brought my homebrew to my wedding, and out of six kegs, the most popular was the 14% maple imperial stout. And it was 98* outside.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Radical Brewing is a great book and a super fun read, even if you never have any plans to make his recipes. Its really good at helping you think outside the box.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Radical Brewing is a great book and a super fun read, even if you never have any plans to make his recipes. Its really good at helping you think outside the box.

LOL at the section on partigyle and geuze/sours. 13 years ago this book was published and all these "radical" ideas are now not so esoteric.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

LaserWash posted:

LOL at the section on partigyle and geuze/sours. 13 years ago this book was published and all these "radical" ideas are now not so esoteric.

And Mosher helped introduce a lot of people to these now so popular ideas!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I enjoy his writing style almost as much as Stan Hieronymus. I thought the parts of the hops book I read was really well done. Is Tasting Beer any good?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yes, but quite basic. His idea of pouring beer is wack though.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Man, Kolsch yeast (WLP029) is a beast. I pitched the yeast Sunday morning, and this afternoon is is slowing down. I raised the temp a few degrees to help it finish out, and I might be able to cold crash it Thursday or so. I might just turn this around from grain to glass in 8 or 9 days. Completely stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Well it's berry season and my wife wants a strawberry wheat again. Probably gonna do the same thing I did last time (which was like 3 years ago and many hundreds of dollars of equipment ago haha);

4 lbs wheat
4 lbs 2 row
Mash at 152
1 oz saaz for 60 minutes
US-05 for 2 weeks, then on 5 lbs of strawberries for a week

Really simple but really tasty. I may also experiment with back sweetening this time. But I have to ask the thread, anyone have any fruit beer recipes they really enjoyed? I didn't care much for them years ago but lately I've been fermenting anything with sugar and really appreciated the world of fruits and grains.