Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

loquacius posted:

I was never a fan of the "Zelda is inverse DBD" theory but the more consecutive days of beefcake fanservice it does the stronger that case gets

It's at least in inverse-Horsey territory by now

This isn't as strong a pro-ACA argument as you appear to think it is -- usually you want to defend something on its own merits, and "it was such an obvious half-measure that it made people want to fix it" kind of feels like damning with faint praise

Also, the "momentum" from your first line is thanks to people making Flowers For Algeria's argument as publicly and loudly as possible soooo

I've defended it on its own merits already. It's a good law. But a common argument against the law before passage was that it would entrench a lousy system in place and make further reform harder. Even Howard Dean was saying that.

None of those predictions came true. There's no component of the ACA that we can point to as making it harder for single-payer to happen. People are making the single-payer argument as publicly and loudly as possible in large part because the ACA was passed and we've slowly begun establishing that healthcare is a human right. Again, failed healthcare reform always led to less ambitious proposals the next time.

Further reform will be needed to this good law != This law sucks poo poo, but other people will fix it

EDIT:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

We'll see whether the ACA will have been deemed a success or a failure when Trump had finished loving it up.

Yes, the law may fail if it's deliberately sabotaged. Who knew?

Shangri-Law School fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Dunno buddy, you can fit quite a bunch of mice inside a person's body. We can't have you go suffocate in fatty tissue, now can we?

https://mobile.twitter.com/VP/status/863182608552906755/photo/1

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cartoons

I concede that Branco is correct: the repeal of Obamacare is a real problem.

Looks like those clowns in Congress the White House

are at it again.

Masterful

Get used to this joke, I guess.

I feel like snowflake is becoming a generic insult with no real meaning. Kinda like cuck.

It is also Obama's fault. Always.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Obama being in the Whitehouse mobilized a ton of racists that Trump then capitalized on. You got it Lester.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I thought the circuses already closed earlier this year.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Special interest groups and a lacking education system created Trump.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MelvinBison posted:

I thought the circuses already closed earlier this year.

The last performance was Sunday.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Frankly I'm saddened we didn't get a Kelly with "Frenchfied Youth" saying to a crying "Old Fashioned Dad" and "Good American Ringmasters": " I'm running away... to join Cirque De Soleil"

Crying Liberty with a clown nose somewhere.

Corner Kelly: "The real Ding-Ling, brother"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The circus seems like the type of thing NAGGING WIFE AND CHILDREN would be wanting to do tearing him away from his crime shows and Star Trek.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shangri-Law School posted:

Further reform will be needed to this good law != This law sucks poo poo, but other people will fix it

I don't disagree entirely with this sentiment as written, but it does seem hypocritical that you're now claiming all future healthcare reforms as an intended feature of this law considering the campaign you worked on last year vociferously opposed single-payer, called it "throwing out Obamacare and starting from scratch," etc. Can't have it both ways. Was Obamacare intended to inspire single-payer or not?

Pants Donkey posted:

Cartoons

I really really don't understand how one can still sincerely think in 2017 that terrorism tops the list of "real problems in America"

quote:

The implication of this one seems to be that Trump is going to fill those vacant positions with laid-off circus employees

which yeah ok maybe

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

loquacius posted:

I really really don't understand how one can still sincerely think in 2017 that terrorism tops the list of "real problems in America"

More Americans have been strangled to death by their own bedsheets since 2000 than killed by terrorists. I am indeed including 9/11 in that statistic.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

btw gonna dredge this back up for a second

Trogdos! posted:

Kirschen posted:

Now he's cut his visit to Yad VaShem from 30 minutes to 15!

Yad Vashem is Israel's national Holocaust museum, and when this was first posted my reaction was "why would you bother going to a museum at all if you're gonna spend 15 minutes there :confused: Seems like a really weird way to show respect but I guess at least he's trying"

but the context is that, as I recently learned, it's a longstanding Israeli policy to require all visiting foreign heads of state to go to Yad Vashem. 15 minutes is probably the least amount of time he could designate to the visit in his planner. It all makes sense now: he's not trying at all. If he could get away with not going, he would. This is how little Donald Trump cares about atrocities.

Also he signed the museum's guestbook like it was a middle school yearbook

https://twitter.com/RaoulWootliff/status/866971756438978560

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 23, 2017

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Roger Moore sneaking past Saint Peter, seducing Mary.

Kelly: "Double Oh-Dead"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This thread is the prime source for celebrity death news :(

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

0/10, should have labeled sections FYGM

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Cartoons

I like that he felt he had to label Jan Brady. Nothing says cool and hip more than quoting a 40-year-old sitcom gag.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Selachian posted:

I like that he felt he had to label Jan Brady. Nothing says cool and hip more than quoting a 40-year-old sitcom gag.

I didn't even catch that until this post

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pants Donkey posted:

I feel like snowflake is becoming a generic insult with no real meaning. Kinda like cuck.

God knows the Irish never had legitimate protest against oppressive bodies of established governance. On an unrelated topic, who were the Black and Tans, anyway?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god no! NONONONONO! Jesus Christ you people KNOW Trump! If he catches wind of this he'll be Frenching her at every event while grabbing her rear end! God dammit people I do not need to see that!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pants Donkey posted:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Oh god no! NONONONONO! Jesus Christ you people KNOW Trump! If he catches wind of this he'll be Frenching her at every event while grabbing her rear end! God dammit people I do not need to see that!

Too late, it already got to the front page of Reddit a few days ago.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

That Branco might be the dumbest "I'm just gonna list Dems Bad stuff I'm pissed about" cartoon I've ever seen, though that's such a huge group I may be forgetting some.

At least "Hillary sitting on a bunch of garbage that's labeled all the various stuff I hate her for" is reasonably constructed. This is legitimately just some ancient pop culture reference holding a goddamn piece of paper outlining your "argument."

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pants Donkey posted:

It's ALWAYS been an :umberto:-insult anyway "Look at you weak snowflakes standing up to other people for other people!" Whhhhat??? Where else does "you're weak for standing up to others" make sense other than in a Rightwing Nutjob's head?

Regalingualius posted:

Too late, it already got to the front page of Reddit a few days ago.
Oh god, this is going to make Gore's attempt to be hu-man look like a Sunday walk in the park holding hands.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

I don't disagree entirely with this sentiment as written, but it does seem hypocritical that you're now claiming all future healthcare reforms as an intended feature of this law considering the campaign you worked on last year vociferously opposed single-payer, called it "throwing out Obamacare and starting from scratch," etc. Can't have it both ways. Was Obamacare intended to inspire single-payer or not?

That's not really a surprise given your autism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Kit Walker posted:

More Americans have been strangled to death by their own bedsheets since 2000 than killed by terrorists. I am indeed including 9/11 in that statistic.

So I guess minorities shouldn't worry about the police since the probability of being killed by one is also essentially zero in any given year?

It's almost as if how people emotionally respond to things isn't guided by taking in facts and making GBS threads pure logic. Are you libertarian by any chance? Cause I hear that sort of thing all the time from them.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nuking the god damned filibuster

Given that the filibuster is the only reason the Senate hasn't nuked Obamacare and ignored the draconian Trump budget, that seems like a really goddamned bad idea.

Not to even consider how much worse 2010 could have gone if such a naked grab for power got the same reaction as when FDR tried to pack the court.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Personally I hope that Ivanka starts a divorce proceeding so we can watch how all these dumbfucks blurt out that "divorcing her is what any good Christian would do."

Oops. Melania is the wife, Ivanka the daughter. Mixed them up. Maybe I am the true sexist???

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So, in Saudi Arabia, Trump did the Orb thing, and in Israel he basically wrote a tweet in the Holocaust museum. He's going to the Vatican next, what's he going to do there? Declare himself Pope?

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

Oh god, this is going to make Gore's attempt to be hu-man look like a Sunday walk in the park holding hands.

I don't often say this, but you are giving Trump way too much credit.

1- He doesn't seem to care much about the optics of his marriage, considering how he's never done anything about all the other times Melania has show contempt for him in public.

2- He doesn't consume enough media that doesn't kiss his rear end to even know it's a talking point. He doesn't know how to internet, he had no idea what a reddit front page is.

3- They are literally living in separate states, if he wanted to make their marriage appear normal he'd start by making her move in not grabbing her rear end in public.

4- Trump is a wimp who can never confront people to their face, he's probably to scared of Melania to do something like that where he might be publicly rejected.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Darkman Fanpage posted:

An entire comic made of strawwomen!

You think? I thought it was pretty funny. Basically the joke was that these particular women have strong opinions and know what they should believe, but sometimes just want to stare at a hot guy. I don't think it's supposed to be "all feminists are hypocrites."

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I actually think Ditko's argument was more of a "sweat of his brow" situation. He created one of the most iconic symbols of the twentieth century and goddamn it, he wants credit for it. No one remembers most of Stan Lee's writing beyond "my spidey sense is tingling" and the "with great power..." line, but billions of people will immediately recognize the costume Ditko drew -- the one on the Marvel stationary -- the one they're basically still using sixty years later. Spider-Man has been written and drawn many different ways by many different people, but the basic look of him -- the way he crouches, the way he walks up walls on his fingertips hands splayed out like little spiders, the webbing, the wirey frame, the weird bold off-kilter way he moves -- all of that is pure Ditko.

If I'd amazed millions with the best work of my career and had to give it up to company I resented while my more verbose and business-savvy collaborator reveled in the fame, fortune, and credit that had eluded me, I might go a little crazy too.

It's possible Jack Kirby gets some credit for the basic concept of Spider-Man, but Ditko really cemented the way he moves, his spindly form, etc. And from a story perspective, the idea of "superior man hated by the public who are jealous of him" has clear Ayn Rand roots. J. Jonah Jameson as Spider-Man's enemy probably wouldn't exist were it not for Ditko's Randian views. It's kind of ironic, that the self-made businessman Jameson seems like a Rand hero himself. I'm guessing in Ditko's mind, Jameson didn't "deserve" his wealth, and only got it by mooching off the natural talents of people like Spider-Man to sell papers.

Anyway, Ditko has alluded to the idea that he quit Spider-Man precisely because he was doing a ton of work on the book and getting none of the credit. A lot of people think it was because they couldn't agree on the Green Goblin's identity, but that seems to just be an urban legend. That said, the fact the Lee unmasked GG as Norman Osborn immediately after Ditko left suggests he had his own ideas and wanted to get them set in stone ASAP. Again, I wonder what Ditko had in mind. Osborn had been a background character for years, but he was only formally introduced as a devious businessman and the father of Peter's classmate two issues earlier. Osborn was clearly a sinister villain, but also a Captain of Industry, so that's a tough circle to square from a Randian POV. Ditko claims they'd been planning for him to be the Goblin since his first non-speaking cameo appearance, but I'm skeptical. It sounds a lot like George Lucas saying he always knew Darth Vader was Luke's father.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

Cartoon idea thanks to a fan- Kim Dot Com promises evidence pertaining to the murder of Seth Rich- Will Kim deliver this time?Cartoon idea thanks to a fan- Kim Dot Com promises evidence pertaining to the murder of Seth Rich- Will Kim deliver this time?

Gorrellich posted:

Another terror attack in the UK. This time at a teen concert — Evil at its worst.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress stiglich

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ben Garrison posted:

Cartoon idea thanks to a fan- Kim Dot Com promises evidence pertaining to the murder of Seth Rich- Will Kim deliver this time?Cartoon idea thanks to a fan- Kim Dot Com promises evidence pertaining to the murder of Seth Rich- Will Kim deliver this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhokFOP8IH0

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Jurgan posted:

You think? I thought it was pretty funny. Basically the joke was that these particular women have strong opinions and know what they should believe, but sometimes just want to stare at a hot guy. I don't think it's supposed to be "all feminists are hypocrites."

My takeaway wasn't that all feminists are hypocrites, but certainly these two in particular are. I am very slightly amused by the hypocrite twins.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 23, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pants Donkey posted:

It is also Obama's fault. Always.

The Jan label is extremly bad, but the Democrats label in this one is a close second.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Did anyone dare do a positive Pearly Gates cartoon for Ailes?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Shangri-Law School posted:

All momentum has been stopped? When the single-payer candidate put forth a strong showing in the primary? When California is on the verge of passing single-payer?

Programs like Social Security and Medicare are much, much better now than they were initially. But they were designed well enough that improving them was inevitable. The ACA is the same way.

It's not a coincidence that every time the Democrats failed to pass comprehensive health care reform in the 70 or so years before the ACA, the next effort was less liberal. And it's also not a coincidence that the single-payer movement has gained strength after ACA passage. Failure breeds timidity. Success breeds ambition.

What has definitely changed is that people see the government having a responsibility to provide health care. PPACA has created an expectation that everyone have health care, and the free market "if you can't afford it, tough poo poo" philosophy is dead. Yes, there are still some people who believe that, but no one campaigns on it. Paul Ryan would love to scrap all government involvement in health care, but he knows that's incredibly unpopular today, so they claim their plan will cover more people than the ACA. Then they have to defend it on its merits rather than just say "it's not the government's business." The conversation has shifted from "should we ensure that everyone has coverage" to "what's the best way to cover everyone?" There's no going back from that. Single-payer has a chance today because it's no longer about "free market vs. government regulation" but about "efficient vs. inefficient government regulation."

loquacius posted:

This isn't as strong a pro-ACA argument as you appear to think it is -- usually you want to defend something on its own merits, and "it was such an obvious half-measure that it made people want to fix it" kind of feels like damning with faint praise

I agree- we should be emphasizing all the millions of people it helped and then talking about how to make it better, not compulsively apologizing for its flaws and then begging for another chance.

Nuking the god damned filibuster

Again, though, that requires enough senators to go along with it. The Senate is (or at least was) very reluctant to change its rules, especially in the middle of the session. Getting fifty-one senators to overturn the rules in 2009 was probably an even taller order than getting a bill sixty would sign on to.

We'll see whether the ACA will have been deemed a success or a failure when Trump had finished loving it up.

But if it fails now, Trump is the one who will be blamed. People now expect the health care system to work for them, and they are already fighting back against the idea that Trump would wreck it.

Also I was straining to make the vidja game analogy fit in order to troll Fulchrum, cut me some slack dammit

If we really want it to fit, you have to imagine that the company making the game had forty percent of its employees actively trying to sabotage the project and prevent any game from being released and the rest had totally different ideas for what kind of game they wanted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

To briefly talk about Jack Kirby, the man was a legend and a genius, and it's undeniable that like Ditko he ultimately got screwed by Marvel, but in his later years he had some pretty serious dementia and made some outrageous claims, including that Ditko contributed nothing to Spider-man and that it was all his idea, down to the costume and the powers and that Stan Lee was a mewling coward who did nothing but cry in a corner during early Marvel. The interview in which he claimed these things had lots of footnotes explaining that his bold claims didn't jibe with the facts, but some years later some guy on the internet uploaded the entire interview without those footnotes, which was a huge factor in the modern perception of Stan Lee as nothing but a charlatan, and contributed to erasing Ditko's legacy.

Jack's claims that he created everything iconic about Spider-man are especially funny considering that every time he drew Spider-man he clearly had issues getting his head around the way the character and his powers worked, which led to many art corrections

I just love that completely horizontal Spider-man.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Terrorism is an integral part of British nationalism, stemming specifically from the English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ben M'Garrison posted:

Will Kim deliver this time?

No.

• Locked thread