Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*checks the thread title, just in case*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

im not really sure why there is a meltdown occurring itt

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you get two five minute breaks every eight hours and you have to take them standing behind the guest services desk

"sure?"

and if a guest takes a piss on the floor by the reception desk you're cleaning it

"uhh ok"

and be sure to end every guest interaction with the phrase "have a doublenice doublegreat doubletree day"

"fine"

and don't let a guest leave without telling them the wi-fi password, which is È^#®2_ hUUyouUwwuuÄ\A¿;1D(â

"gently caress you i'm out"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

funny Star Wars parody posted:

idk either

flakeloaf posted:

you get two five minute breaks every eight hours and you have to take them standing behind the guest services desk

"sure?"

and if a guest takes a piss on the floor by the reception desk you're cleaning it

"uhh ok"

and be sure to end every guest interaction with the phrase "have a doublenice doublegreat doubletree day"

"fine"

and don't let a guest leave without telling them the wi-fi password, which is È^#®2_ hUUyouUwwuuÄ\A¿;1D(â

"gently caress you i'm out"

or maybe be like a normal hotel and just give your clients a decent wifi password written down with the key, instead of saying "oh and the wifi password is our hotel name in lowercase" as you hand them the keys?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyways, maybe this secfuck will soothe the angst:

It was designed as an impregnable deep-freeze to protect the world’s most precious seeds from any global disaster and ensure humanity’s food supply forever. But the Global Seed Vault, buried in a mountain deep inside the Arctic circle, has been breached after global warming produced extraordinary temperatures over the winter, sending meltwater gushing into the entrance tunnel.

The vault is on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen and contains almost a million packets of seeds, each a variety of an important food crop. When it was opened in 2008, the deep permafrost through which the vault was sunk was expected to provide “failsafe” protection against “the challenge of natural or man-made disasters”.

But soaring temperatures in the Arctic at the end of the world’s hottest ever recorded year led to melting and heavy rain, when light snow should have been falling. “It was not in our plans to think that the permafrost would not be there and that it would experience extreme weather like that,” said Hege Njaa Aschim, from the Norwegian government, which owns the vault.

“A lot of water went into the start of the tunnel and then it froze to ice, so it was like a glacier when you went in,” she told the Guardian. Fortunately, the meltwater did not reach the vault itself, the ice has been hacked out, and the precious seeds remain safe for now at the required storage temperature of -18C.

But the breach has questioned the ability of the vault to survive as a lifeline for humanity if catastrophe strikes. “It was supposed to [operate] without the help of humans, but now we are watching the seed vault 24 hours a day,” Aschim said. “We must see what we can do to minimise all the risks and make sure the seed bank can take care of itself.”

The vault’s managers are now waiting to see if the extreme heat of this winter was a one-off or will be repeated or even exceeded as climate change heats the planet. The end of 2016 saw average temperatures over 7C above normal on Spitsbergen, pushing the permafrost above melting point.

“The question is whether this is just happening now, or will it escalate?” said Aschim. The Svalbard archipelago, of which Spitsbergen is part, has warmed rapidly in recent decades, according to Ketil Isaksen, from Norway’s Meteorological Institute.

“The Arctic and especially Svalbard warms up faster than the rest of the world. The climate is changing dramatically and we are all amazed at how quickly it is going,” Isaksen told Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.

The vault managers are now taking precautions, including major work to waterproof the 100m-long tunnel into the mountain and digging trenches into the mountainside to channel meltwater and rain away. They have also removed electrical equipment from the tunnel that produced some heat and installed pumps in the vault itself in case of a future flood.

Aschim said there was no option but to find solutions to ensure the enduring safety of the vault: “We have to find solutions. It is a big responsibility and we take it very seriously. We are doing this for the world.”

“This is supposed to last for eternity,” said Åsmund Asdal at the Nordic Genetic Resource Centre, which operates the seed vault.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I don't know either, but it is pretty funny. Cinci is getting salty about being told a that knowing the "password" to a Guest Network is not really a secfuck . The real secfuck is using any guest wifi and thinking if they only had a better password it would be more secure or something.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flosofl posted:

I don't know either, but it is pretty funny. Cinci is getting salty about being told a that knowing the "password" to a Guest Network is not really a secfuck . The real secfuck is using any guest wifi and thinking if they only had a better password it would be more secure or something.

i am getting salty because people are getting salty that i dislike extremely weak passwords on wifi networks i get to unfortunately use. certainly not thinking that i'm much less secure if that weren't the case.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i am getting salty because people are getting salty that i dislike extremely weak passwords on wifi networks i get to unfortunately use. certainly not thinking that i'm much less secure if that weren't the case.

so you just don't like the... aesthetics of it or something?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

so you just don't like the... aesthetics of it or something?
yes, i like my passwords beautiful and strong, like pittsburgh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes, i like my passwords beautiful and strong, like pittsburgh

that's a terrible password, at least capitalize it and add punctuation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

haveblue posted:

that's a terrible password, at least capitalize it and add punctuation

:vince:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao, russia is looking into codifying software/hardware vulnerabilities in it's laws as a manufacturer's responsibility

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk either

or maybe be like a normal hotel and just give your clients a decent wifi password written down with the key, instead of saying "oh and the wifi password is our hotel name in lowercase" as you hand them the keys?

"Hey, your WiFi is broken, my laptop won't connect, I want a free night's stay in compensation for this" x 100 / day

And I'm sure they STILL get people complaining because they can't spell "hilton" or something.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyways, maybe this secfuck will soothe the angst:

Not really a sec gently caress as much as a lack of consideration of all possible events. I'm shocked that they don't have the tunnel lined with concrete or something though.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao, russia is looking into codifying software/hardware vulnerabilities in it's laws as a manufacturer's responsibility

fsb already has backdoors into everything they care about so why not i guess lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BiohazrD posted:

any hotel that has been recently renovated has probably dropped the ethernet jacks because wireless is easier, cheaper, and "good enough"

that being said i have one of those and you can use it to connect to wifi and rebroadcast your own ssid which is cool and good

er, no, a hotel is usually not going to bother to rip out ethernet they already paid to put in years ago, even if it and the switches attached are so old it only runs at 10 megabit or something

when I've seen things actually removed, it's stuff like in-premises DSL setups where there was a DSLAM at the central switchboard for the regular phones in the building, which provided access through individual DSL modems in the room

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cinci zoo sniper posted:

unless you're going to tell hotel guests how to correctly configure wpa-802.1x it pretty much means fuckall since everyone is using the same key and they hand them out on little bits of paper at the front desk

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I finally got my hands on an environment stable enough to support AppLocker without driving everyone completely insane and this thing owns bones so loving hard. I wish moron devs would sign their code consistently and this would be more viable to rollout at all endpoints.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias posted:

"Hey, your WiFi is broken, my laptop won't connect, I want a free night's stay in compensation for this" x 100 / day

And I'm sure they STILL get people complaining because they can't spell "hilton" or something.
this is latvia not america

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Also using the windows firewall to shim a kerberos IPsec layer in front of legacy protocols that don't natively support it also owns. Microsoft is good.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Public Wireless passwords should exist, but do not need complexity. Their purpose is to encrypt frames in transit and "authenticate" the client since there isn't a method for an unauthenticated to encrypt wireless traffic.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Public Wireless passwords should exist, but do not need complexity. Their purpose is to encrypt frames in transit and "authenticate" the client since there isn't a method for an unauthenticated to encrypt wireless traffic.

How did the conversation get this far with no one pointing this out

Adding WPA with a weak password is done to prevent passive traffic sniffing, it's not about authenticating the client securely

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
To clarify, the passphrase is only for authentication, then a 4-way handshake occurs that provides the actual encryption. Knowing the PSK of a WPA/WPA2 client doesn't allow you to decrypt their wireless traffic.

WEP is dead, don't worry about weak wireless passwords unless you are worried about people getting on your home wireless network.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Lol if your hotel doesn't generate distinct credentials for each room in order to impose a 100mb free quota before they automatically bill the room $10/gb just lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

To clarify, the passphrase is only for authentication, then a 4-way handshake occurs that provides the actual encryption. Knowing the PSK of a WPA/WPA2 client doesn't allow you to decrypt their wireless traffic.

WEP is dead, don't worry about weak wireless passwords unless you are worried about people getting on your home wireless network.

lol gently caress about time someone posted this

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gonna go to this "past, present, and future cryptography" thing at bletchley next monday
https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/whats-on/past-present-future-cryptography-day

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

Lol if your hotel doesn't generate distinct credentials for each room in order to impose a 100mb free quota before they automatically bill the room $10/gb just lol

lol if your hotel has a free quota at all

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

lol if your hotel has a free quota at all
*looks at america with poorly hidden smirk*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lol @ quota

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

responsibility to fix them, or build them in?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Midjack posted:

responsibility to fix them, or build them in?
responsibility to be held accountable for their existence and anything related to it

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Wait, really?

I see the opposite on wikipedia, for example: see "Lack of forward secrecy"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

quote:

This also means an attacker can silently capture and decrypt others' packets if a WPA-protected access point is provided free of charge at a public place, because its password is usually shared to anyone in that place. In other words, WPA only protects from attackers who don't have access to the password.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i thought the sessions were encrypted with the ptk which is derived from the pmk which is generated from the wpa password, pmk is the same across all clients, ptk is unique

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

i thought the sessions were encrypted with the ptk which is derived from the pmk which is generated from the wpa password, pmk is the same across all clients, ptk is unique

correct

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

my understanding was that if you're on the same network it's much easier to force other devices on the network to do another handshake, allowing you to capture what you need (from watching the handshake) to decrypt traffic from that device.

i'm an idiot so that may be entirely wrong.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

when I saw "IoT Devices" i pretty much thought oh, no new news here.

https://gbhackers.com/200-million-d...akeover-attack/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

duTrieux. posted:

my understanding was that if you're on the same network it's much easier to force other devices on the network to do another handshake, allowing you to capture what you need (from watching the handshake) to decrypt traffic from that device.

i'm an idiot so that may be entirely wrong.

It looks like this is the case, but it is far from "trivial" ala WEP. And of course encryption doesn't last forever, so by the time they are able to decrypt your wireless traffic, you'll be long gone anyway.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

glytch posted:

i cannot read this, the Random Capitalization of things that are Not Proper nouns makes me Think im deciphering The rantings Of A SchizoPhrenic

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lysidas posted:

i cannot read this, the Random Capitalization of things that are Not Proper nouns makes me Think im deciphering The rantings Of A SchizoPhrenic

Yeah Why do they Do that AnyWay?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

glytch posted:

rebuilding font cache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:psyduck:

• Locked thread