Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

banned from Starbucks posted:

Kestrel isnt really that frightening for an ace. Hes 5 hit points with no Biggs support. Just send the rest of your list after him.

Five hit points that will put two damage a turn on your favorite ace. Most Aces have four or fewer total hit points. It's certainly not going to destroy a triple Interceptors list by its lonesome, but it's definitely another log on the "gently caress aces" bonfire FFG is heaping together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah, I don't think Imperials really want a 30 point ps7 TLT carrier. I think I'd almost prefer Homing missile/chips/crackshot for alpha striking.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Strobe posted:

Five hit points that will put two damage a turn on your favorite ace. Most Aces have four or fewer total hit points. It's certainly not going to destroy a triple Interceptors list by its lonesome, but it's definitely another log on the "gently caress aces" bonfire FFG is heaping together.

Just dont fly your ace at it. Its the same basic strat Whisper/Echo players have used since forever. Point the rest of your 60+ points at whatever kills your ace and wreck its poo poo asap.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Strobe posted:

If your aces can't deal with a PS7 five HP tie with two green dice and no focus used on defense, poo poo man I dunno, you should probably start playing checkers or something of that mental complexity.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm gonna be that guy who points out that FFG kept refering to Lieutenant Kestal as a she.

Feels like just a little while ago that this thread was discussing how there were hardly any female pilots in this game too.

It also looks like they just made up someone because Kestal has no Wookieepedia page.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

I'm gonna be that guy who points out that FFG kept refering to Lieutenant Kestal as a she.

Feels like just a little while ago that this thread was discussing how there were hardly any female pilots in this game too.

It also looks like they just made up someone because Kestal has no Wookieepedia page.

What? A new character that doesn't just have a nickname? Woah

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Wonder if intensity/comm relay/BB8 poe is worth a drat? Seems like you'd have TL/focus/evade every round because who'd shoot at you?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
"Snap" Wexley (28)
Intensity (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)
Intensity (2)
Unguided Rockets (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)

Intensity (2)
Unguided Rockets (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)

Intensity (2)
Unguided Rockets (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)

Intensity (2)
Unguided Rockets (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)

Total: 100

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hoiyes posted:

Wonder if intensity/comm relay/BB8 poe is worth a drat? Seems like you'd have TL/focus/evade every round because who'd shoot at you?

Or alternatively, Primed Thrusters. You basically can always take a focus.

Want to take a red maneuver? You can, just take your free boost and have a focus.

And even clearing stress gives you a focus via BB-8, as long as you don't go nuts.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

So, it's Lt. Kestrel and a bunch of generic TIE Aggressors and everything fitted with TLT and IG-2000 titles. Unstoppable.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Four Y-Wings with TLTs are going to be better than Kestral and two aggressors with TLTs even if the IG-2000 title is inexplicably ignored by FFG.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I remember everyone crying wolf over Thug Lyfe, too.

4x aggressors is less survivable on average.

It'll make a brief splash and then only the lazy will fly it. Just like Thug Lyfe today.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Devlan Mud posted:

Four Y-Wings with TLTs are going to be better than Kestral and two aggressors with TLTs even if the IG-2000 title is inexplicably ignored by FFG.

Kestral: 22+6(for TLT)+0 (for IG-2000)=28
3xgeneric: 3x (17+6+0)=69
Total 97
So why not four TIE Aggressors?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I don't even know why you're bothering to theory craft with the IG title because it's obviously not gonna happen.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
No TO is going to let people use the IG-88 aggressor stuff

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

hoiyes posted:

I don't even know why you're bothering to theory craft with the IG title because it's obviously not gonna happen.

Come on, imperials need all the help they can get!

But ok, I'll shut up now.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Poe Damaron PS9
- Intensity
- BB-8
- Sensor Cluster
- Black One
- Integrated Astro

I think this might have potential. Get an Evade token from BB-8's Barrel Roll if you think you're getting shot at. Or just get a free Focus token and use your action to get a second one so you can double up to pay off Intensity and still have one for Sensor Cluster and Poe's ability.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Turkson posted:

Poe Damaron PS9
- Intensity
- BB-8
- Sensor Cluster
- Black One
- Integrated Astro

I think this might have potential. Get an Evade token from BB-8's Barrel Roll if you think you're getting shot at. Or just get a free Focus token and use your action to get a second one so you can double up to pay off Intensity and still have one for Sensor Cluster and Poe's ability.

Or spend an extra point for comm relay and bank an evade on turn 1, and, then have evade, focus and target lock every turn (unless they shoot at you.)

Poe without offensive rerolls not worth his points.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

hoiyes posted:

But...but...rules as written.......

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Yeah the type of people who would try to pull that crap are they type no one wants to play

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Hahahahaha, you really think people are gonna let the IG-2000 Aggressor title be used by the TIE? That's silly!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The IG-2000 title will be addressed in an FAQ right away.
And by right away, I mean a month after release and after 400 people email Frank Brooks about it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Remember when the "official email ruling" on the Gonk droid was that they were considered the same action so you couldn't use EI to get a shield back in one turn, dooming Gonk to be 99% useless?

Instead of his current 95% uselessness.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

IronSaber posted:

Hahahahaha, you really think people are gonna let the IG-2000 Aggressor title be used by the TIE? That's silly!

I don't see any way I could justify not letting an opponent do it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Poopy Palpy posted:

I don't see any way I could justify not letting an opponent do it.

It's obviously against the spirit of the rules and the IG-2000 title says Aggressor Only while the TIE Aggressor is listed as a TIE Aggressor on the card.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's obviously against the spirit of the rules and the IG-2000 title says Aggressor Only while the TIE Aggressor is listed as a TIE Aggressor on the card.

Guess what. The Twin ion engine mark II card says "TIE only". Is there a ship that is just called "TIE"? So, RAW it should just work. But expecting day zero errata from FFG indeed.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
A-Wing Test Pilot just says A-Wing only. A Wing, man. . So X-Wing, Y-Wing, U-Wing; Hell, StarVipers have Wings!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
We're doing a Wave I only tournament for the 40th anniversary. It's a strict Wave I too: only ships, pilots, and upgrades from Wave I are allowed. I'm guessing a Swarm Tactics 6 TIE swarm is going to win, but I'm thinking I'll just bring Garvin with R2-D2, Horton with Ion Turret, and 2 Rookies. Any other Wave I only lists I should consider?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The only thing I can really remember being competitive back then was TIE Swarm

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is Howlrunner Wave I?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

Is Howlrunner Wave I?

She's in the TIE Fighter expansion which is Wave I.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Improbable Lobster posted:

The designers are on record as saying that low pilot skill pilots intentionally blocking higher skill pilots is against the spirit of the rules but it's still what the rules of the game are.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Poopy Palpy posted:

The designers are on record as saying that low pilot skill pilots intentionally blocking higher skill pilots is against the spirit of the rules but it's still what the rules of the game are.

That's so weird because it even fits the theming too. I interpret the mechanic in theme as bumped ships lose their action and cannot shoot the ship they're touching because the pilot is focused on avoiding a collision that might kill both of them.

Some idiot, inexperienced pilot thinking he's doing something clever ending up doing something so unexpected and nearly smashing into an ace fits the theme.

Re: the IG 2000 title on the TIE Aggressor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

How long ago did they say that?

FFG posted a whole Turn Zero article last year that focused entirely on blocking.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's like skiing in tribes. Once it becomes established you kind of have to embrace it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
FLGS is having a 77-point, New Hope-themed tournament on Sunday where you can only bring ships and pilots from A New Hope. Since it's not huge or anything and the group is typically fun, I decided to use ships I haven't used in a very long time:

Gamestorm 40th (77)

"Dutch" Vander (27) - Y-Wing
Plasma Torpedoes (3), R2 Astromech (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Garven Dreis (28) - X-Wing
BB-8 (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (22) - X-Wing
R2 Astromech (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Basically the X-Wings fly cover for Dutch while he passes TLs and Garven tosses out focuses. I'm not going for wins, just going for fun and basically the guaranteed 40th anniversary loot along with previous tournament loot to boot.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

Stupid newbies making GBS threads up things for the veterans is a time-honored tradition, why pull back on that?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If that's true why do ships lose their action for bumping?

If I wanted to not punish high PS ships for being blocked I wouldn't design effects into my game to punish them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I guess to stop self bumping/fortressing

• Locked thread