Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

You sure as poo poo know there are going to be some dumb-as-gently caress critics on social media that will say that the best parts of JL were directed by Whedon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

You sure as poo poo know there are going to be some dumb-as-gently caress critics on social media that will say that the best parts of JL were directed by Whedon.

I mean there are already people celebrating this news so that's a no-take bet right there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

teagone posted:

I mean, I could say the exact opposite about people on this very forum.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The final battle of the film now includes a 5 minute break where everyone stops to quip at each other.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arist posted:

I mean, I could say the exact opposite about people on this very forum.

But goons don't influence unassuming moviegoers on social media.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Good lord how lovely do you have to be to publicly jack off about someone's daughter committing suicide just because you don't like their movies, loving hell, the internet has made people psychotic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Maybe Zack Snyder is using his daughter's death to focus on his "The Fountainhead" movie like a true objectionist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SlimGoodbody posted:

Good lord how lovely do you have to be to publicly jack off about someone's daughter committing suicide just because you don't like their movies, loving hell, the internet has made people psychotic

I'm not defending it, but this is the site that does loss and 9/11 jokes on the reg.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
9/11 was almost twenty years ago and loss is making fun of a bad comic artist poorly handling an extremely sensitive topic

not really the same things

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tribute.wmv was like less than a day after the fact.

I'm not a fan of Snyder's DCEU work but I am not happy about this one bit. This is the kind of thing that destroys families and it's a lot more important than if a soulless corporation puts out a product that captures your favorite mascot right.

I wonder how much of Justice League is left to even film.

teagone posted:

Oh shut up with this poo poo. You're getting mad at future people for an opinion they might have about a movie that doesn't exist yet. Please let go of your dumb grudge against people who don't like the same movies you do for one freaking day.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Now he's the perfect choice for the crossover versus film

gently caress that, when do we get the Amalgam movies?

It really sucks what happened to Snyder and his family. I hope they can cope with this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

9/11 was almost twenty years ago and loss is making fun of a bad comic artist poorly handling an extremely sensitive topic

not really the same things

There's a thread in GBS right now that's just people making fun of the horrific nail bomb explosion at the Ariana Grande concert.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'd like it noted on the record that throughout this whole ordeal I have only ever made fun of Whedon's role in everything, as is deserved and right.

[clears throat] "Well poo poo, I hope the film doesn't look like a TV show now and Superman doesn't blow up a lot of cars!"

...How's that, am I doing that right

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

There's a thread in GBS right now that's just people making fun of the horrific nail bomb explosion at the Ariana Grande concert.

GBS posters aren't people

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm a big fan of Snyders movies, and this is just gutting. Not because of how it might affect JL, but because he doesn't deserve this. No one does, but it's all amplified by shithead fans who can't put aside their bullshit tribalism for 10 loving seconds. I hope Kevin Maguire gets fired over that poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McCloud posted:

I hope Kevin Maguire gets fired over that poo poo.

That's a little much, don't you think?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That's a little much, don't you think?

I'm not exactly unbiased, I'll admit. But such ghoulish behavior just sickens me. His complete inability to emphasize is bad enough, but even his retraction is dickish. It just further convinces me that twitter is a cesspool full to the brim with sociopathic trolls, and it'd be nice if they got some actual consequences for being terrible humans.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 23, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Oh shut up with this poo poo. You're getting mad at future people for an opinion they might have about a movie that doesn't exist yet. Please let go of your dumb grudge against people who don't like the same movies you do for one freaking day.

No he's not. He's actually about 12 hours late.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phylodox posted:

He's not going to do anything with Justice League. He's going to film a few small scenes/additional shots that he was hired to do before any of this happened, and then he's going to supervise the editing of the movie so it's as close to what Snyder wanted as is humanly possible. To do anything beyond that would be kind of monstrous.

It says that Whedon was brought in months ago to do a pass on the Justice League script and dialogue before this even happened and that was why he was slotted to fill in for Snyder.

So, even if this never happened, then Whedon still potentially had a large role in shaping the movie (just not filming it).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It says that Whedon was brought in months ago to do a pass on the Justice League script and dialogue before this even happened and that was why he was slotted to fill in for Snyder.

So, even if this never happened, then Whedon still potentially had a large role in shaping the movie (just not filming it).

The article makes it sound like Whedon was brought on very recently. After initial test screenings, during the period where Snyder was trying to work through his grief. So that would mean Whedon's only been involved for a couple of months, after almost all of the film was already in the can.

quote:

Snyder, after screening a rough cut of Justice League for fellow filmmakers and friends, wanted to add additional scenes, so he brought Whedon on board to write them. But as he prepared to shoot the scenes in England, Snyder realized it was not the time to leave home.

I do kind of wonder if Snyder and Whedon and Gunn and all them have any kind of personal relationship. I like to imagine they're all best friends.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 23, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were both parts of Justice League filmed back to back? I assume they must have been. I assume Snyder was able to finish most of both movies before he opted to take the time he needs. I hope that he and his family are able to get the help they need. It is very sad for something like that to happen to anyone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were both parts of Justice League filmed back to back? I assume they must have been. I assume Snyder was able to finish most of both movies before he opted to take the time he needs. I hope that he and his family are able to get the help they need. It is very sad for something like that to happen to anyone.

It's not a 2 part movie anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah pretty much all the major studios read the room on that one and realized two part finales pissed people off and they weren't going to get away with them anymore.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lurdiak posted:

When was the last time GBS had anything of quality in it?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I do kind of wonder if Snyder and Whedon and Gunn and all them have any kind of personal relationship. I like to imagine they're all best friends.

I do know Gunn and Snyder are bros, not sure about Whedon. Would be nice if they're all buddies though :3:

I'm not a big fan of Whedon's cinematic ventures, and I obviously don't think it will be as good as if Snyder himself did the finishing touches, but I'm totally fine with Whedon filling in, it's a nice thing of him to do. I really hope Snyder takes the time he needs to work through this, and be there for his family.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

A lot of people are using that lovely excuse to try to make a Nazi writing Captain American books ok too. I don't get it.

wait nick spencer's a nazi?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Nick Spencer is not a nazi but he is a shithead.
https://amazingcavalieri.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/a-primer-on-nick-spencers-lovely.html

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hiddenriverninja posted:

The r/relationships thread is pretty funny

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Race Realists posted:

No, he isn't. He's just tone deaf. Everyone knows the story will end with Cap coming to his senses and putting the universe right and making some speech, no one has an appetite for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

RaceFat posted:

just wanna let y'all know that this thread has been bringing me great joy, great joy to the point that i decided to make/build a song out of some of my fav comments here. thanks for so many laughs! couldn't include everything i wanted to, but i'm still really happy with how it turned out. PLZ ENJOY, MAY YOUR BALLS BE HOT 4EVER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXyQ-OD3hM0

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lurdiak posted:

a song about breasts

I stand corrected.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not defending it, but this is the site that does loss and 9/11 jokes on the reg.

You are right but on a purely practical level there's a reason why people shitpost in anonymous channels and obscure dead forums instead of their Verified Twitter.

mycot fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 23, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

How about no. I've already read a bunch of posts on social media claiming JL will be better now that Whedon is onboard. Even my own brother said that and I told him how dumb and wrong he is. My point was people won't look at the facts before passing judgement. They'll make some dumbass post and delete it after they've been called out. Just like one movie reviewer who praised Patty Jenkins after seeing Wonder Woman, while also bashing Zack Snyder in the process saying he should be ousted from anything involving the DCEU because they assumed he had nothing to do with the WW film.

What's worse though is there were people who downplayed Snyder's family tragedy in favor of their opinion on his films that no one cares about. See Kevin Maguire.

[edit]

quote:

I wonder how much of Justice League is left to even film.

Did you read the THR article? Whedon is just guiding the film through post, and only filming some additional scenes Snyder wanted to add after screening a rough cut. Principal photography wrapped a long while ago.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 23, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He finished the movie. That's the whole reason he's stepping away now. He put it all together, mapped out the extras he wanted, and trusts Whedon to be able to handle that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

How about no. I've already read a bunch of posts on social media claiming JL will be better now that Whedon is onboard. Even my own brother said that and I told him how dumb and wrong he is. My point was people won't look at the facts before passing judgement. They'll make some dumbass post and delete it after they've been called out. Just like one movie reviewer who praised Patty Jenkins after seeing Wonder Woman, while also bashing Zack Snyder in the process saying he should be ousted from anything involving the DCEU because they assumed he had nothing to do with the WW film.

And everyone hates the new Alien film I adore so. I don't know what to tell you. They're just movies.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

CelticPredator posted:

And everyone hates the new Alien film I adore so. I don't know what to tell you. They're just movies.

Covenant? I liked it, but it's not amazing or anything. But then again I love Man of Steel and really enjoyed BvS so what do I know.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Yes, and? I was just calling out dummies that will inevitably make (and have already made) dumb remarks in response to howe_sam's original post, and Lurdiak asked me to stop for some reason. I was focusing more so on people who would go out of their way to smear Snyder, as I've always felt the guy doesn't deserve that kind of poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People do not like the movies he makes.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm pretty sure Snyder's got more important things to worry about than people saying mean things about his movies online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's some depressing about the fact that a guy suffered one of the absolute greatest tragedies a human can have happen and the conversation just boils down to "But what are people going to say online about this movie nobody has seen but is certainly good/bad!"

• Locked thread