Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I lost the plot somewhere on One Piece and now don't really want to rewatch a ton of episodes only to get to where the show goes to poo poo because I can rarely stand reading manga, and even then it's a ton of poo poo to go through. One Piece I think specifically is where I realized I can be turned off a series solely if it's gigantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I caught up with One Piece in like 2003 and just never looked back, back when there was only like 300 chapters or so. I like it a fair amount even to this day and I'm determined to see it through, but I can completely understand not wanting to bother when you have that much sitting in front of you. Even knowing what I do about the way that series goes I'm not sure I'd be willing to start it fresh myself.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i watched that blame! netflix movie and it was reasonably solid i guess but they cut out all the hyperviolence and body horror, ostensibly because they wanted to eke out a pg-13 and that's like the best part of blame!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I spent like two years watching the anime on Hulu before giving in and reading the manga when they stopped putting new ones up, because goddamn One Piece has like, one of the most abysmal fan translation efforts ever up until Impel Down. Like, one arc leaves Straw Hat as Mugiwara the whole time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The fan translations got so awful that I wound up subscribing to the Viz SJ service, at least initially, solely to have better OP translations. They take longer to come out but I don't read any of the OP threads so I'm not in any rush.

Viz SJ eventually led me to My Hero Academia and Promised Neverland so I'd call it a net positive in the end anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The translation these days isn't as miserable so I just read that even though I have the WSJ thing. The translation for the omnibuses is pretty good tho although I prefer funination's a tiny bit, but the Mother 3 guy works on that IIRC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nah, the best part of Blame is looking for the human-scale characters lost in full-page spreads of cyclopean architecture.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Nihei studied architecture before he started drawing manga and it shows; the way he conveys a sense of scale is incredible.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

Nah, the best part of Blame is looking for the human-scale characters lost in full-page spreads of cyclopean architecture.

there's not a huge amount of that either

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please find a publisher to fund a video game about Blame so that I can call it The Blame Game when it eventually comes out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

there's not a huge amount of that either

Blame!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow, ShopTo has Mankind Divided up for £5 that must have bombed with a capital BOMB

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 23, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deus Ex: Mankind DONTBUYTHIS?! *thumbnail of adam jensen with downward facing red arrow* (1,575,402 pageviews)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow, ShopTo has Mankind Divided up for £5 that must have bombed with a capital BOMB

A BOMB?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind DONTBUYTHIS?! *thumbnail of adam jensen with downward facing red arrow* (1,575,402 pageviews)

Mankind Divided: Ruined by Feminists? *box art with Melody Hensley's face shopped onto Adam Jensen* (23, 499, 211 views)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I always love the idea that a mediocre game would have been a smash hit were it not for those pesky online feminists making me feel weird about stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As far as I know some people are still convinced Mighty Number 9 would've been great if not for feminism.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nasgate posted:

Nah, telling someone to get invested in Berserk is pretty much the crown jewel of terrible manga advice.
nah, it's Akagi

which is also game related (in that mahjongg is a game)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was really enjoying this shooting game until I learned from Anita Sarkeesian that guns can be phallic symbols, now I lust only for the death of all men and post 0.0 reviews of all the games you like on metacritic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I, personally, am responsible for the fact that Aloy doesn't wear a sci-fi cavewoman bikini. Sorry guys. I ruined video games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My name is George Soros and I've been paying the ESRB to reduce the boob size of all video game ladies for the past 6 years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hi george soros i'm dad

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk I liked Mankind Divided. Exploring prague was fun/it had good sidequests

But I also liked Human Revolution a lot and people seem to have decided that game is bad now too

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

If Hollywood made a Berserk movie, who should be cast as Guts.

And don't say The Rock.

Probably some MMA guy you've never heard of but has lots of muscles and can yell really good and is just charming enough to make up for their lack of acting ability.

exquisite tea posted:

I was really enjoying this shooting game until I learned from Anita Sarkeesian that guns can be phallic symbols, now I lust only for the death of all men and post 0.0 reviews of all the games you like on metacritic.

According to Reddit this is literally the reason Mirror's Edge 2 was mediocre. Sarkeesian visited DICE and talked about making the game more appealing to women, which meant that they intentionally made the game bad to try and score politicial correctness brownie points and SJW snowflake safe spaces cuck Tumblr!!!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Unless Sarkeesian was the one who suggested a big empty world with nothing interesting to do, I don't think I can blame her for Mirror's Edge Catalyst getting lukewarm reception. Game could have easily done much better if it was just select-a-level like the first one. Not everything needs a boring tedious hubworld to waste time in, but EA and DICE dove into that poo poo stark-naked because it was the hot thing to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guy Mann posted:

According to Reddit this is literally the reason Mirror's Edge 2 was mediocre. Sarkeesian visited DICE and talked about making the game more appealing to women, which meant that they intentionally made the game bad to try and score politicial correctness brownie points and SJW snowflake safe spaces cuck Tumblr!!!

Why does anyone even pay the slightest bit of attention to people who say these things

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lurdiak posted:

My name is George Soros and I've been paying the ESRB to reduce the boob size of all video game ladies for the past 6 years.

Jokes on you all the money they've saved modeling big boobs has been going into butts

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

Jokes on you all the money they've saved modeling big boobs has been going into butts

literally

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Why does anyone even pay the slightest bit of attention to people who say these things

Nooooooo look who you're talking to. Abort! Abort!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One Punch Man is really good. That's my manga hot take.

Dr Cheeto posted:

If ARMS is anything to go by it's paying out in dividends.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://jezebel.com/why-isnt-it-called-no-womans-sky-1785411230

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one piece is good. just ask.... my wonderful new daughter who will probably love it !! :hai:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Funfact: the artist of the OPM manga, Murata, designed Dust Man and Crystal Man as a kid. There's a little comic about it in the MM complete works artbook.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

one piece is good. just ask.... my wonderful new daughter who will probably love it !! :hai:

Grats

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

oddium posted:

Congratulations

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

name her after a videogame character

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Motto posted:

Funfact: the artist of the OPM manga, Murata, designed Dust Man and Crystal Man as a kid. There's a little comic about it in the MM complete works artbook.

He should feel bad because Crystal Man is a terrible design.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I read an interview with a guy who translates the Yakuza games and the subject of the sexy minigames came up, which is something that Sega used to take out of the western ports of the series. He basically said that there's no way they could take them out anymore, because there would be so much backlash.

🤔

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

an actual dog posted:

I read an interview with a guy who translates the Yakuza games and the subject of the sexy minigames came up, which is something that Sega used to take out of the western ports of the series. He basically said that there's no way they could take them out anymore, because there would be so much backlash.

🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

name her after a videogame character

looks like someone​ missed the september chat thread or whatever. her name is Samus Hyrule Lastname

• Locked thread