Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017

ES LIMA TIME BABY BAP BAP BAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comptroll The Forums posted:

That's funny, my dog once asked to be moved to a nice farm upstate. Haven't seen him since, wonder how he's doing...

Agreed though, nice to see Ani make the offer. Of course, he's still getting paid the full $17m...

My guess is he's done as a Tiger and will be seeking the guiding embrace of Ray Searage as soon as he's contractually allowed to.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Astros don't have anyone particularly handsome or particularly ugly. How boring. I guess either Reddick or Springer for most handsome and... I don't know, Gregerson for ugliest?

Or depending on your taste the twin catchers Gattis and McCann could be dreamy. Big beefy bearded dudes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

The Astros don't have anyone particularly handsome or particularly ugly. How boring.

I had this same problem with the Royals. I suppose Jason Vargas is kinda minorly messed up looking and...I don't know Lorenzo Cain seems handsome? Then I look up Cain and his smile is doofy as hell, so I don't know.

Eric Hosmer is the go to Royals looker I guess but I can't get past his eyebrows at all.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 23, 2017

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Intruder posted:

The Astros don't have anyone particularly handsome or particularly ugly. How boring. I guess either Reddick or Springer for most handsome and... I don't know, Gregerson for ugliest?

Or depending on your taste the twin catchers Gattis and McCann could be dreamy. Big beefy bearded dudes

What happened to Colby Rasmus? Dude was ugly as sin.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I think he's a Ray now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

iospace posted:

Holy poo poo, a balk that is, you know, not some weird rear end corner case.

And yeah, that's the reaction to expect.

The best part is it's not even the first silly balk the Twins have scored a run off of this year

https://streamable.com/gqe6a

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IcePhoenix posted:

The best part is it's not even the first silly balk the Twins have scored a run off of this year

https://streamable.com/gqe6a

So wait, you're telling me there were at least three balk calls this year where it wasn't the ump going "he twitched the wrong way" but something blatantly obvious?

I mean, you could argue letter vs spirit here for those two (given the rule is to prevent unfair play by the pitcher), but given the game is called by the letter of the rule, drat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO MY BOY?! LEAVE HIM ALONE.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

iospace posted:

So wait, you're telling me there were at least three balk calls this year where it wasn't the ump going "he twitched the wrong way" but something blatantly obvious?

I mean, you could argue letter vs spirit here for those two (given the rule is to prevent unfair play by the pitcher), but given the game is called by the letter of the rule, drat.

Look man, you can't be out there doin' a balk like that.

Please do not do a balk.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Inspector_666 posted:

This only makes him more awesome! I wish there were more players that remind me of cartoon characters.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

This only makes him more awesome! I wish there were more players that remind me of cartoon characters.

"I see you like dingers. Heh heh. I too, like dingers."

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

This would not have been a balk had the ball rolled all the way to the foul line. :balk101:

Balks.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Intruder posted:

The Astros don't have anyone particularly handsome or particularly ugly. How boring.

Did the Astros trade Dallas Keuchel while I wasn't looking or something?

Grittybeard posted:

I had this same problem with the Royals...I don't know Lorenzo Cain seems handsome? Then I look up Cain and his smile is doofy as hell, so I don't know.

:psypop:

Inspector_666 posted:

I kind of wish this discussion were in its own thread so I could yell at everyone (not you) for how wrong they are without feeling like I have to make serious contributions to make up for it. :colbert:

Speaking of serious contributions,

N: Matt Harvey claims to have fixed himself.

quote:

“Looking at video from successful starts that I’ve had in the past, we found out that my arm slot was like six inches higher [than in previous years],’’ Harvey said Sunday. “Not this past start, but the previous ones. It kind of dated back to last year when I had some issues with my rib and I couldn’t throw from my normal arm slot because of the injury.”

V: I hope he's right. I had the good fortune of seeing him deal during opening week, and I want to see that version of Matt Harvey again.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Where are all the Giants fans to talk about how hot Kelby Tomlinson is? Sad.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

Where are all the Giants fans to talk about how hot Kelby Tomlinson Trevor Brown is? Sad.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Good Dog posted:

This would not have been a balk had the ball rolled all the way to the foul line. :balk101:

Balks.

Serious Q: would that just make it a ball? And thus live?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Good Dog posted:

Balks.

Unfortunately, only with nobody on base:

Rules of Baseball posted:

Rule 6.02(b) Comment (Rule 8.01(d ) Comment ): A ball which slips out of a pitcher’s hand and crosses the foul line shall be called a ball; otherwise it will be called no pitch. This would be a balk with men on base.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tinstaach posted:

Didn't they have to invoke this when Randy Johnson murdered that bird with a fastball?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey so I just saw a thing about this yesterday and listened to all 3 of the released episodes, but I think this thread might enjoy a new podcast from C Trent Rosecrans called "Great American Dream."

It's following the minor league career of Reds #13 ranked prospect (according to MLB.com, he's not on their top 100) Shed Long. It's good because Shed's good enough that this could go somewhere, but also only got a $100k singing bonus and isn't a top prospect who gets to avoid a lot of the lovely parts of minor league living.

Also, thanks to this I learned that Zack Cozart sounds identical to Zeke from Bob's Burgers. Like, uncanny.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 23, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

tinstaach posted:

Lol balks are the best. They've thought of everything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey so I just saw a thing about this yesterday and listened to all 3 of the released episodes, but I think this thread might enjoy a new podcast from C Trent Rosecrans called "Great American Dream."

It's following the minor elague career of Reds #13 ranked prospect (according to MLB.com, he's not on their top 100) Shed Long. It's good because Shed's good enough that this could go somewhere, but also only got a $100k singing bonus and isn't a top prospect who gets to avoid a lot of the lovely parts of minor league living.

Also, thanks to this I learned that Zack Cozart sounds identical to Zeke from Bob's Burgers. Like, uncanny.

This makes Zack's great year for me on my current OOTP season that much more enjoyable for me, I signed him to my expansion team for defence and he's leading me in pretty much every power stat you can think of. And Bob's Burgers is my favorite TV show.

Also the podcast thing reminds me of a really good book I read about an Angels fringe prospect who pitched for Yale and was baffled by how Alberto Callaspo and Manny Aybar (I think it was Aybar, might be remembering that wrong) would do weird poo poo like stick a hot dog from the post game spread in front of their crotch and the other would suck it when they were excited about winning. Cannot remember the title of the book for the life of me.

Edit: Here it is, called Odd Man Out https://www.amazon.com/Odd-Man-Out-League-Misfit/dp/0143116819

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 23, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/rt_ohio/status/866845996881289216

As if you need another reason to like Joey Votto

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Did the Astros trade Dallas Keuchel while I wasn't looking or something?

Keuchel is like James Harden, no one really knows what he looks like

e: actually scratch that, here's an old pic of him without a beard and... wow, who knew?

I assume you expected him to be ugly instead of a dreamboat :colbert:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 23, 2017

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Votto loving owns.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

"I remember when you used to be good" says the dumbass to the 5th-best 1B in the game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joey Votto: slashing .293/.412/.592

Man remember when that guy used to be good?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Everything Joey Votto does is cool as hell and if you poo poo talk Votto you're a huge loser.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

"I remember when you used to be good" says the dumbass to the 5th-best 1B in the game.

5th best is like, a huge understatement. He's #1 or #2.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Intruder posted:

Barry Bonds hit .276/.480/.565 in '07 and followed that up with never playing again. Clearly this Votto guy is a bum.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

5th best is like, a huge understatement. He's #1 or #2.

Going by WAR so far this year. In general, Votto/Goldschmidt/Freeman are the top 3 and there's an argument to be made for any of them, really.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You're trying to tell Joey loving Votto that he's not any good? :psyduck:

I mean jeez, I can't even think of a good way to heckle the guy. He's not particularly bad at anything, is he? "Ay Joey you suck at stealing! Why's Billy Hamilton so much better than you??"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
"Hey Joey you suck at growing hair on your head"

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
As we all know, Eric Hosmer is the best first basemen in baseball.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NiceGuy posted:

You're trying to tell Joey loving Votto that he's not any good? :psyduck:

I mean jeez, I can't even think of a good way to heckle the guy. He's not particularly bad at anything, is he? "Ay Joey you suck at stealing! Why's Billy Hamilton so much better than you??"

He is pretty meh defensivly at first base.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

He is pretty meh defensivly at first base.

Not compared to other first basemen he isn't - currently 2nd in dWAR behind Joe Mauer.

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017

Intruder posted:

The crazy part is, his BABIP (.270) is well below his career average (.355). He's also sporting a career low K% (11.3%).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

Keuchel is like James Harden, no one really knows what he looks like

e: actually scratch that, here's an old pic of him without a beard and... wow, who knew?

I assume you expected him to be ugly instead of a dreamboat :colbert:

It makes sense, now: Keuchel is Samson reincarnated.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

It makes sense, now: Keuchel is Samson reincarnated.

I figured he would have a bigger jaw, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Today I learned only one person has ever hit 50 doubles and 50 homers in a season and that person was Albert Belle.

• Locked thread