Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Has it been theorized yet that this woman who Gordon is going to track down to help identify Cooper could be Diane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

JazzFlight posted:

Uhhhh, he had the best line!
HelllOOOOOOoooooo!
It was the inspiration for Coop to copy.

oh whoops

Basebf555 posted:

Has it been theorized yet that this woman who Gordon is going to track down to help identify Cooper could be Diane?

Yeah I've seen that posted in this very thread, the other suggestion I see popping up is Audrey.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Berzerker posted:

yeah just for the first four.

John Ennis from Mr. Show is just sitting at a slot machine, I don't think he even had a line

There was another Walking Dead guy in either the 3rd or 4th episode as well (can't remember which one because it all just blurred together).

He was the guy from the Kingdom with the big nose in TWD.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
This is a very funny, and very scary, television series. Loving the first four episodes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah I've seen that posted in this very thread, the other suggestion I see popping up is Audrey.

I'm not seeing Audrey as a real possibility because they made it seem like it's someone who knows Cooper better than anyone else. He only knew Audrey for a few months, or maybe a little longer than that. He's presumably known Diane for years. Plus no need to recast Diane, they can start fresh with a totally new actress.

Definitely won't be disappointed if it is Audrey though, because its Audrey.

What about Annie?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm really hoping Diane is Laura Dern, because Laura Dern is fantastic.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-may-21-2017/amp/

Nobody watched the premiere.

WHAT IF THEY CANCEL IT??

lol

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I saw it in a theater with about 150 people, so that's 150 people who watched it but it counts as one view, so...

Also, most people are watching it by streaming, which isn't included in those numbers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do wonder how delusional the network was about the ratings they'd get for this. It's a cult classic series, sure, but the average person really wasn't very excited for this and they had to know that the Lynch factor was going to turn off a huge percentage of the potential new viewers. I mean, after seeing the first 4 episodes, its clear that absolutely nobody is going to like this show if its their first Twin Peaks or David Lynch experience. It's a series only for those who have already acquired a certain taste, it was never going to be a smash hit or get the impressive ratings that something like the 24 or Xfiles revivals got.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I'm curious about how many people watched it online.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I do wonder how delusional the network was about the ratings they'd get for this. It's a cult classic series, sure, but the average person really wasn't very excited for this and they had to know that the Lynch factor was going to turn off a huge percentage of the potential new viewers. I mean, after seeing the first 4 episodes, its clear that absolutely nobody is going to like this show if its their first Twin Peaks or David Lynch experience. It's a series only for those who have already acquired a certain taste, it was never going to be a smash hit or get the impressive ratings that something like the 24 or Xfiles revivals got.

Yeah, exactly.

It's hilarious knowing there are thousands of people who said "Hey, this Twin Peaks thing sure is popular, let me see what it's all about" and then they watched Ep. 1 thinking they could catch on.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pyrotek posted:

I'm curious about how many people watched it online.

I signed up for Showtime just to watch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, exactly.

It's hilarious knowing there are thousands of people who said "Hey, this Twin Peaks thing sure is popular, let me see what it's all about" and then they watched Ep. 1 thinking they could catch on.

Given all that, I think its really amazing that this new season even got made, we should feel really lucky as fans. Kudos to Lynch for what I can only imagine was a torturous experience in going back and forth with the network because they were probably trying to pin him down to something more mainstream at every turn. Looking back, I'm sure that's what all those "its on, its off, now its on again" shenanigans were all about, Lynch wanted to be absolutely certain that he'd have the freedom to do it his way before signing on.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, exactly.

I really want to read a review from someone who watched this without having seen Twin Peaks series 1 or FWWM. I bet they'd be utterly boggled.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I actually thought Lynch explained things more than he usually does. I suppose at least part of that was to not confuse the new viewer too much.

I mean Cooper was walking around explicitly laying out his plans. You don't usually see stuff like that with Lynch.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah no one watches poo poo on cable anymore. Everyone I know watched it online.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I actually thought Lynch explained things more than he usually does. I suppose at least part of that was to not confuse the new viewer too much.

I mean Cooper was walking around explicitly laying out his plans. You don't usually see stuff like that with Lynch.

Yea but the very basic framework of the series is totally left to the viewer to either know going in or not. No explanation of what the Lodges are, no recap of Laura's murder and that investigation, no explanation what of the Blue Rose cases are or who Gordon and Albert are. No explanation of Bob or the various other Lodge spirits, or how any of that connects to Twin Peaks, the Log Lady, Hawke, or Cooper himself.

If you go into it already fully versed in that stuff than its not too difficult to follow what's going on, but even then Lynch has thrown the hardcore fans some curveballs that will serve as interesting mysteries as the season goes on. So those without the background info are two layers deep into Lynchland with no map on how to find their way out.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Noticed a book titled "Indian Heritage" on the bookcase in the South Dakota hotel crimescene from Episode 1.

Tell Deputy Hawk he come come back home, now. I've found what he's looking for.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but the very basic framework of the series is totally left to the viewer to either know going in or not. No explanation of what the Lodges are, no recap of Laura's murder and that investigation, no explanation what of the Blue Rose cases are or who Gordon and Albert are. No explanation of Bob or the various other Lodge spirits, or how any of that connects to Twin Peaks, the Log Lady, Hawke, or Cooper himself.

If you go into it already fully versed in that stuff than its not too difficult to follow what's going on, but even then Lynch has thrown the hardcore fans some curveballs that will serve as interesting mysteries as the season goes on. So those without the background info are two layers deep into Lynchland with no map on how to find their way out.

Yeah. I keep thinking that popular non-linear shows like Westworld and what I've heard of Legion have given people more patience/tolerance for the unexplained and the weird with the assumption it will have an epiphany moment near the end for them.

And for fans, that may be true, but there are plenty of people tuning in who aren't used to the whole Lynch "Here's the pieces, figure it out" ending that we'll most certainly be given.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ginette Reno posted:

To be honest, I was surprised they told us anything as explicit as Cooper can't leave till his doppleganger comes back in.

On an unrelated note, what's up the Evolution of the Arm saying 257, but the subtitles saying 253?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What were all The Giants clues in the beginning?

"Remember 430"
????
"Two Birds One Stone"

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Franchescanado posted:

What were all The Giants clues in the beginning?

Every line he said could be important, so from the start he said:

"Listen to the sounds"
"It is in our house now"
"It all cannot be said aloud now"
"Remember 430"
"Richard and Linda"
"Two birds with one stone"
"You are far away"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FauxLeather posted:

Every line he said could be important, so from the start he said:

"Listen to the sounds"
"It is in our house now"
"It all cannot be said aloud now"
"Remember 430"
"Richard and Linda"
"Two birds with one stone"
"You are far away"

Thank you. I wish we could put this in the OP so it doesn't get lost. Seems like a good key.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Was it 2:53 when Dark Coop crashed his car and vomited creamed corn and poison?

Ha, what a sentence.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Hoping the "Richard" is referring to Dick Tremayne, I want to see his smile again.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Just had a thought about Wally Brando that I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere: Dick Tremayne is the real father. The pretension is in his DNA.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Section 9 posted:

Just had a thought about Wally Brando that I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere: Dick Tremayne is the real father. The pretension is in his DNA.

Absolutely. Plus I like the idea that Andy would raise another man's child as his own, because Andy is just that kind of guy. Actually I think he even says something like that to Lucy in Season 2, like who cares who's DNA it is, I want to be the father. Andy is the best.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Absolutely. Plus I like the idea that Andy would raise another man's child as his own, because Andy is just that kind of guy. Actually I think he even says something like that to Lucy in Season 2, like who cares who's DNA it is, I want to be the father. Andy is the best.

He says it in the series finale.

Andy is the best. One of the greatest moments is when he manages to be a hero and shoot the bad guy in Season 2. It was one of the most rewarding character moments in the entire show, and Andy deserved it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
When the cooper doppelgänger is trying to talk to Cole it's like he's trying to synthesize Coopers normal voice and it's so great.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Not hearing/reading anyone react to the deplorable CG and green screening except for some "that's so Lynch!" here and there. I disagree. Lynch's capacity for the surreal and even the exaggerated has always been upheld by strong, believable special effects, starting with the baby in Eraserhead and extending through some of the most violent scenes in his oeuvre. When Cooper is climbing the ladder to stand on that gray box, I couldn't not turn to my partner and ask "what are we watching?" Some of the visuals are like senior film school project level of bad, and I have a hard time believing between Showtime and Lynch that every green screened scene couldn't have been done better with more traditional effects.

And if it really is "so Lynch," I guess I don't like Lynch anymore?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Josh Lyman posted:

Alright, I'm now in the lovely string of episodes. Can I just skip the obviously lovely scenes like Nadine in high school and Leo/Shelley/Bobby?

Yes. Once the mystery actually gets resolved the next string of episodes don't really do anything at all. I think the next 4 are completely skippable. Now is when the Windam Earle stuff starts up and it's never that great anyway. I'd say watch the last 2 or 3 episodes and then the movie if you've not seen it.

On that note, I never really realised until recently how cleanly the show actually wraps up if it ended with episode 9. The red room is nothing more than something that's in Cooper's dream and not a real place, BOB is an entity that's just always out there (Albert says maybe BOB is just the evil that men do) and the only actual outstanding mystery is Andy's sperms.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

1000 umbrellas posted:

Most if not all of it seems deliberate. In the episode 4 car sequence you can see they didn't even align the road with the car.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

1000 umbrellas posted:

Not hearing/reading anyone react to the deplorable CG and green screening except for some "that's so Lynch!" here and there. I disagree. Lynch's capacity for the surreal and even the exaggerated has always been upheld by strong, believable special effects, starting with the baby in Eraserhead and extending through some of the most violent scenes in his oeuvre. When Cooper is climbing the ladder to stand on that gray box, I couldn't not turn to my partner and ask "what are we watching?" Some of the visuals are like senior film school project level of bad, and I have a hard time believing between Showtime and Lynch that every green screened scene couldn't have been done better with more traditional effects.

I'll point you to the Josie doorknob scene for lovely effects in the original series.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

1000 umbrellas posted:

Not hearing/reading anyone react to the deplorable CG and green screening except for some "that's so Lynch!" here and there. I disagree. Lynch's capacity for the surreal and even the exaggerated has always been upheld by strong, believable special effects, starting with the baby in Eraserhead and extending through some of the most violent scenes in his oeuvre.

Throughout his work Lynch has often used effects that intentionally draw attention to their own artificial nature, in an anti-immersion fourth-wall breaking way. For example at the end of Mulholland Drive right when Diane kills herself a bunch of really obvious fog-machines start filling her otherwise normal bedroom with smoke. Inland Empire is full of that sort of moment.

The only difference is now the obvious effects are digital, whereas before they were done practically or analog.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Finished catching up at 1am. Today I'm just in a daze because holy poo poo. Parts of that felt like watching ERASERHEAD for the first time, which is not a sensation I thought I'd ever get to experience again.

I have no idea what the gently caress Showtime think they're doing though, they're going to take a bath on this one.

I would really like to have been a fly on the wall when Lynch and Showtime were hashing out the budget ("David, we've got the money for the infinite purple ocean, but if you want that and the floating electricity box we'd like you to drop the talking cancer tree. How about just hiring another midget? No? Okay then...") I was perfectly fine with the VFX, but then I'm streaming from Canada and the feed is a bit poo poo.

That said, four episodes in I would 100% take the new Twin Peaks we've got over no new Twin Peaks at all (or worse, new Twin Peaks without Lynch).

Arturo Ui posted:

I'll point you to the Josie doorknob scene for lovely effects in the original series.

Also Jurgen Prochnow's beard in FWWM

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Which effects have actually been CG? Was the tree CG?

I also can't tell whether it's unintentional. The gruesome deaths have certainly been very well done.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

1000 umbrellas posted:

I think what makes it work is that very low-quality effects are placed right next to great ones. That's what makes it unnerving to me. Like when (ep 3): Dougie falls apart in the Black Lodge chair, he becomes a 2D picture of a gold sphere that just kinda moves jerkily around the frame, but it's right next to a gross looking floating gray head thing.

Laura disappearing by just flying upwards in episode 2 was equally eerie.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

1000 umbrellas posted:

I was ok with the dodgy shots during the weirder parts, but I thought when the ghost was weedwhacking the Nanny kid and yer man it looked AWFUL. Plus later (Ep 3 or 4?) when they show a photo of their bodies it's some crappy photoshop job, which compared to the prop head and body in the bed really really stood out to me.

I mean this is a show that used to play super loud, inappropriate music during every second scene so I dunno if I should be bothered by it or not.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Clipperton posted:

That said, four episodes in I would 100% take the new Twin Peaks we've got over no new Twin Peaks at all (or worse, new Twin Peaks without Lynch).

When Lynch first quit the project weren't they going to keep using his scripts but hire others to direct? I can't imagine what that would have been like, it seems impossible.

And More posted:

Which effects have actually been CG? Was the tree CG?

That was the most obvious example in the first two episdoes, but in episodes 3 and 4 there are entire sequences relying on green-screen and CG.

The stitched together corpse in the bed looked pretty bad to me, and that one seemed actually bad and not intentionally artificial. Maybe I got too used to the really good effects for that sort of thing that Hannibal had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

Throughout his work Lynch has often used effects that intentionally draw attention to their own artificial nature, in an anti-immersion fourth-wall breaking way. For example at the end of Mulholland Drive right when Diane kills herself a bunch of really obvious fog-machines start filling her otherwise normal bedroom with smoke. Inland Empire is full of that sort of moment.

The only difference is now the obvious effects are digital, whereas before they were done practically or analog.

Yeah, seriously, does no one remember the loving bird in Blue Velvet?

Kyle M: David, you know the bird looks fake, right?
DL: I know! Isn't it great?!

True story.

Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Lost Highway, even Wild At Heart all had special effects that were left a little unpolished to make everything weirder.

It's certainly up to the viewer on whether they like it or not, but I think it adds more than it detracts.