Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I've got 310 contribution and 85 workers or so, most of them are artisan by this point. The whole worker system is really cool and starts to bring in all sorts of materials as you keep growing it and upgrading your workers. I definitely have more materials than I could ever process, I should probably sell some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

J posted:

I've got 310 contribution and 85 workers or so, most of them are artisan by this point. The whole worker system is really cool and starts to bring in all sorts of materials as you keep growing it and upgrading your workers. I definitely have more materials than I could ever process, I should probably sell some of them.

I'd sell so much of my junk if I could list the whole stack. I'm approaching 30k copper ore... there is a guy in our guild with over 100k chickens

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Going to pull out the interesting (to me) parts of the last patch notes

quote:

You can choose to display Family or Character name in the chat window.
Timestamps have been added to chat window.

New Item ‘Black Sprit’s Claw Piece’ has been added. This item can be found at Biraghi Den, Wandering Rogue Den, Kuit Islands, Gahaz Bandit's Lair, Roud Sulfur Works and Pila Ku Jail.
You can create ‘Black Sprit’s Claw’ by putting 3 ‘Black Sprit’s Claw Pieces’ together. If you enhance your Armor that is equipped on your Gear slot with this ‘Black Sprit’s Claw’, you can make a socket for crystal transfusion.

Investment bank has been added to Usage List for House in each city.
You can operate your investment bank for stable but low profit or risky but high profit depending on your Karma.
You can also order workers to operate your investment bank, and your profit may differ depending on your selected investment product
Stable Investment Bank: No.4 Velia, No.3-1 Heidel, No.1-2 Calpheon Merchant Street.
No loss occurs from the Stable Investment Banks but the amount of expected profit is low.
Risky Investment Bank: No.7-1 Altinova, 2nd Floor No.17-4 Valencia
If you are unlucky, loss may occur but you also may gain a great amount of profit from the Risky Investment Banks.

Pets will now have Agility & Caution mode options added.
Agility mode decreases time for item pick up rate by 10%.
When in Agility mode, hunger gauge is consumed 3 times faster than normal.
Caution mode increases the time between item pick up rate by 10%.
When in Caution mode, the hunger bar is consumed 2 times slower than normal.

New daily hunting quest has been added.

Probably the most exciting part is the chat changes

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Worker questions:

1. So you need lodging for workers. Does it matter where the lodging is? Do they move from the capitol of the province and to the node when you assign them a task or do they move from "their" lodging?
I have run out of lodging in Velia + the surrounding farms (7 spaces in Velia + the 1 free space is just 8 in total for Balenos Territory). If i buy lodging in Olvia, and assign a worker to e.g. "Goblin Cave" which is east of Velia, will a worker potentially have to walk all the way from Olvia?
Could i assign a worker living in Serendia territory instead (to Goblin Cave) as Heidel is closer to Goblin Cave than Olvia?

2. I notice that when i get up in the morning, or get home from work or similar, all the goblins are done working, most of the humans are, but giants are usually still working.
My playstyle and ability to check in on the game is before going to work, when coming home from work and 1-2 hours of active play in the evening. Should i try to get mostly giant workers?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

Worker questions:

1. So you need lodging for workers. Does it matter where the lodging is? Do they move from the capitol of the province and to the node when you assign them a task or do they move from "their" lodging?
I have run out of lodging in Velia + the surrounding farms (7 spaces in Velia + the 1 free space is just 8 in total for Balenos Territory). If i buy lodging in Olvia, and assign a worker to e.g. "Goblin Cave" which is east of Velia, will a worker potentially have to walk all the way from Olvia?
Could i assign a worker living in Serendia territory instead (to Goblin Cave) as Heidel is closer to Goblin Cave than Olvia?

2. I notice that when i get up in the morning, or get home from work or similar, all the goblins are done working, most of the humans are, but giants are usually still working.
My playstyle and ability to check in on the game is before going to work, when coming home from work and 1-2 hours of active play in the evening. Should i try to get mostly giant workers?

1. Yes, where the lodging is matters. When you hire a worker, they are forever attached to the city you hired in, you cannot move them. So you have 8 workers in velia right now - if you buy lodging in Olvia, then try to hire a worker in velia, it won't let you. You'll have to hire the worker in Olvia, and that worker is attached to Olvia and will be travelling from Olvia to any nodes they work. They will deposit the results of their work in their origin city's storage, no matter where you send them. Workers have travel time to get to a node, so if you send them really far away it is going to take longer for them to complete 1 work cycle of the node. Ideally you want to have workers pretty close to the nodes they are working.

2. In the long run you'll end up with artisan workers, eventually. So they have more workspeed AND more stamina. However, there are a lot of different things you can use workers for in the game with varying workloads, so it still helps to have a mix of worker types. For example, the fish drying yards out in the ocean nodes - even with artisan goblins those take multiple hours per cycle, and an artisan goblin has 15 stamina so he'd need to be fed less than once a day anyway. On the other end of the spectrum, trade crates are very quick to make, even with a giant, so giants work well for those. It just depends on what you're doing with the workers. Artisan humans have 23 stamina, artisan giants have 35. You'll probably be fine with a mix of humans and giants, with a few goblins sprinkled around. Hiring pro and artisan workers straight from the worker manager is rare enough that you should just take them whenever you see them, regardless of which type they are.

If you want to see some numbers behind how the game calculates work cycles, this is a pretty good reference.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!

I thought lodging was territory wide, not town. I have 8 lodging in Velia, 1 is the free one, 2 is from outlying farms and 5 are from houses in Velia proper. How are the lodging slots i have in the outlying farms assigned to Velia?
If i free up Velia workers and go to Olvia to hire workers there, can they use the lodging slots near Velia?
Take Toscani Farm for example, which provides 1 lodging for Velia. The only info on that node is that it is in Republic of Calpheon and in Balenos Territory. There is no info there that this node is "assigned" to Velia.

I thought i had this semi figured out since i assumed everything was territory wide (e.g. Balenos, Serendia)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

Take Toscani Farm for example, which provides 1 lodging for Velia. The only info on that node is that it is in Republic of Calpheon and in Balenos Territory. There is no info there that this node is "assigned" to Velia.

As far as I know there is no way within the game itself to answer that - you just kind of have to buy it and see where it goes. In this case the toscani farm lodging goes to velia. If you were to free up velia workers, and go to Olvia and hire workers, it'd say "not enough lodging" in olvia. There's no way to change where the toscani lodging is "assigned" to, if that makes sense.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Just wanted to put out that the game is ripe to return to. It was daunting at first relearning moves but Daum really made it as easy as possible with experience buffs out the rear end and extra really decent equipment. I really felt like they tailored the relearning experience to the utmost and I felt it easy to pick back to unlike any other hand.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Good to hear it was re approachable, I know the game can be pretty drat obtuse. It also tends to shower new or returning players with all sorts of free poo poo to help get you back up to speed. Even if you are a veteran player it still gives away tons of poo poo.

Steam release is this wednesday, along with the striker class. Looks like a monk punchmans class that can double jump and throw hadoukens and is really mobile. Also this game is going to get murdered in the steam reviews :smith:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Related: if you haven't gotten your +15/pri gear, you really should try to pick it up before the steam release/striker because that poo poo will be hard to get for a couple weeks afterward

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
worth reposting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWQrRz9XlN4

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh, literal shoryukens and hadokens and hurricane kicks. Interesting.

First time seeing any of this.

J
Jun 10, 2001

gwrtheyrn posted:

Related: if you haven't gotten your +15/pri gear, you really should try to pick it up before the steam release/striker because that poo poo will be hard to get for a couple weeks afterward

I'd actually go a step further and say buy anything you were thinking of buying now rather than later. Gear, crystals, food, potions, enhancement materials, anything you can think of. I'm expecting demand to outpace supply on a lot of stuff for a while after this release.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

J posted:

I'd actually go a step further and say buy anything you were thinking of buying now rather than later. Gear, crystals, food, potions, enhancement materials, anything you can think of. I'm expecting demand to outpace supply on a lot of stuff for a while after this release.

Well yes, but crystals, potions, and blackstones will be lot easier to come by yourself and are much more easily preordered even with the new class rush as long as you're not talking about hards/sharps/concs. Get your gear first if you can before the new class releases because that is not a fun market to play

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Guess I'll buy a bunch of accessories tonight.

EDIT: Though who knows what event they'll pair up with the release.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 24, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Got all 23 Lauren family boxes.
Only a single one was a "bad" roll (a single Sharp black crystal)
The rest were all accessories ranging from 4m to 28m in value. My assets increased by 130m which is an average of 5,6m per Lauren box. Not too shabby i guess.

Anyone get any of the really valuable items?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

My best rolls were 3 packs of shards and +25 advice of valks.

Sharps are still a decent roll. It's better than like benshos, single hard, or apparently cron stones

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I got 3 bags of 3 sharp shards, which has a value of twice my average. I suppose that is a good roll, but getting gear is more fun so in my mind they are just "ok" rolls.

I have played on EU for almost 2 weeks now and already have almost as much assets as i have on US. My workers are plodding along but i am still eagerly awaiting the time when they will actually start to produce noticeable numbers of resources.
After constantly mining all copper deposits in Balenos and Serendia for a week i still only have a couple of thousand copper. All my workers are Professional or better (i have actually gotten 8 Artisans out of my 18 workers, so i guess i have been fairly lucky)
2500 copper is only like 125 ingots (?) which is barely worth more than a million. I guess geting processing level up is also an important factor. I did a test processing run with a thousand iron ore (worth about 800k) which processed into 300 things worth like 600k which processed into 30 ingots worth 300k. I am literally losing half the value of resources from processing.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 24, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

My best pull from the lauren boxes was a croissant guardian ring. Other than that, I got 4 ancient necks, 3 witch earrings, 1 ancient belt, 1 bensho's, 1 tree spirit belt, 1 red coral earring, a couple of the shard bundles, a couple individual shards, 5 cron stones, 6 memory fragments. I'm probably forgetting something but that's the gist of it.

Regarding processing, I forget the breakpoints in processing skill that start giving improved yields. Sometime in either professional or artisan level processing skill you'll get to the point where each combine yields 1-4 of the product. On average, it works out to be 2.5 items per process. Plus you create bonus "third tier" items, for example you are processing ore and sometimes you create an ingot in addition to the melted shards, or create a plywood in addition to planks when chopping timber. For timber chopping, you eventually reach the point where every 7 timber produces 1 plywood.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Do the amount of procs gradually increase as you level a life skill or do you suddenly go from 0 procs ever to potentially getting 4 procs?

I am guessing i need to commit a single character to life skilling, since that is one of the few things in this game that isn't account wide (giant shame). Should that also be my gatherer and fisher, or can i put those on different characters?
E.g. a life skiller that is low level and only stays in town, a fisher than i keep parked in the same spot elsewhere, and gatherer is the combat character.
Im guessing at least life skiller + fisher should be the same character, for not having to do so many inventory slots and weight limit purchases.

Ideally all life skills and upgrades would be on a single character but having to ride all the way to the hunting spot for every play session and then back to town for every afk session sounds pretty unfun.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 24, 2017

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

After constantly mining all copper deposits in Balenos and Serendia for a week i still only have a couple of thousand copper. All my workers are Professional or better (i have actually gotten 8 Artisans out of my 18 workers, so i guess i have been fairly lucky)
2500 copper is only like 125 ingots (?) which is barely worth more than a million. I guess geting processing level up is also an important factor. I did a test processing run with a thousand iron ore (worth about 800k) which processed into 300 things worth like 600k which processed into 30 ingots worth 300k. I am literally losing half the value of resources from processing.

I always thought I was missing out on some revenue because I generally only 'heat' all of the ore I harvest and then sell that on the MP. But going off what you said, maybe I'm doing alright.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Leveling up processing is important. Going from 1 from 10 to 2.5 out of 10 is kind of a big increase - 600 * 2.5 = 1500 > 800, and similarly 300 * 2.5 * 2.5 = 1875 > 1500 > 800.
IIRC you start getting 1-4 procs averaging 2.5 probably around late Professional with some exceptions - logs are one, and that nearly screwed me over on making the Epheria Sailboat. No idea when logs start proccing 1-4, but it certainly isn't Artisan 1 like the guides state.

Also, blackstone/relic event incoming.

quote:

Black Stone Increased Drop Event Begins!
Gotta get your enchant on? No problem, players can enjoy an increased drop rate of several useful items including Black Stones, Shards, and ancient relic stones.
Event Duration: May 24 ~ June 7
Additional Info: Killing monsters will drop Black Stones (Armor & Weapon), Gathering will have an increased rate of hard & sharp shards, and Fishing will have an increased rate for Ancient Relic stones.
And easier horse breeding apparently.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 24, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The Blade Boques youtube series Bum to Billionaire is good to watch for overall moneymaking, each is like an hour though. This is a recent video on top 10 nodes for just making passive money.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently BDO is on Steam now for 6, 18, and 30 bucks.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I bought this on steam even though the new FFXIV expansion is out next month and i'm in love with that game. What have I done?

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
It's a fantastic game. The only reason I don't play it much is because although I love the sandbox style, I wish it had dungeons and raids instead of just grinding on the same mobs in an area.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

lurksion posted:

Apparently BDO is on Steam now for 6, 18, and 30 bucks.

Thats what I bought

desudrive posted:

It's a fantastic game. The only reason I don't play it much is because although I love the sandbox style, I wish it had dungeons and raids instead of just grinding on the same mobs in an area.

I actually don't mind dumb grind as long as it's a interesting game. FFXIV gives me all the dungeons and stuff I want anyway. Are any of these packages worth it? http://store.steampowered.com/app/624371/Black_Desert_Online__Explorers_Package/

just did the basic 5.99 for now but if I like it maybe I'd get a package.

Also is it possible for people to duo? We have to stay in level range right?

teknologik fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 24, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The explorer's pack + game at $29.70 is one of the best deals for buying the game, but it's not as good at $50. $50 is normal price these days from their website so you can mostly ignore their discount percentages, those are based on their original price like from launch. The pet and inventory slot expansions alone are most of the difference between $6 and $30 and you get some other stuff that's nice to have

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Any suggestions for a duo that gets off on openworld PvP?

EDIT: is it okay to run dark knight as my main even though there is no awakening yet?

teknologik fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 24, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

teknologik posted:

Any suggestions for a duo that gets off on openworld PvP?

EDIT: is it okay to run dark knight as my main even though there is no awakening yet?

Dark Knight has an awakening now and from wat I heard a lot of people have been dumping their dk gear recently.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

gwrtheyrn posted:

Dark Knight has an awakening now and from wat I heard a lot of people have been dumping their dk gear recently.

For striker or because the awakening is bad? I took the last 2 hours and made a dk.. jesus this character creation.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I just saw the steam release of this game...

WHAT THE gently caress DID THEY DO TO GANDALF WHY THE gently caress IS HE A SEXY ANIME BOY NOW!?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SweetBro posted:

WHAT THE gently caress DID THEY DO TO GANDALF WHY THE gently caress IS HE A SEXY ANIME BOY NOW!?

yoai? yaoi? whatever that thing is where straight women love gay dudes loving

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

teknologik posted:

For striker or because the awakening is bad? I took the last 2 hours and made a dk.. jesus this character creation.

Probably for various reasons. It's probably still fine, but a lot of the people rerolling are probably just looking for a new thing. Some of these people are selling stuff like tet nouver/dande, and you don't have those unless you're super loving rich, moreseo with the dande because that's relatively new. They did nerf DK a bit as there were some unintended things with its awakening or something, so it's a little less strong than at release. I don't play dk so I can't really say for sure

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

Do the amount of procs gradually increase as you level a life skill or do you suddenly go from 0 procs ever to potentially getting 4 procs?

I am guessing i need to commit a single character to life skilling, since that is one of the few things in this game that isn't account wide (giant shame). Should that also be my gatherer and fisher, or can i put those on different characters?
E.g. a life skiller that is low level and only stays in town, a fisher than i keep parked in the same spot elsewhere, and gatherer is the combat character.
Im guessing at least life skiller + fisher should be the same character, for not having to do so many inventory slots and weight limit purchases.

Ideally all life skills and upgrades would be on a single character but having to ride all the way to the hunting spot for every play session and then back to town for every afk session sounds pretty unfun.

You're on the right track as far as thinking about dividing up what character does what. If you put everything on one character you're going to end up doing a lot of running back and forth. The best endgame grind spots are in the middle of loving nowhere.

Some things to think about are AFK fishing gets better as you add more inventory space. AFK processing gets better with a higher weight limit. Gathering is whatever, it doesn't really require anything specific and most gathering spots don't have enemies that are threatening. Note that inventory space and weight limit purchases are NOT account wide, unfortunately.

teknologik posted:

I think there is a large bandwagon of people in this game who sell their class specific gear every time a new class comes out so they can reroll to the new class. Right now DKs are considered a top tier class, so if you like the theme go for it.

Also I'm pretty sure in the character creator you can switch between young wizard and old man gandalf wizard.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SweetBro posted:

People wanted to be able to make young wizards, so it's an option, now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

desudrive posted:

This is actually what I was going to ask after seeing a video of how crazy flashy the Wizard class is: is there much PvE to speak of in Black Desert, or is it mostly grinding mobs to level so you can PvP?

Schubalts posted:

People wanted to be able to make young wizards, so it's an option, now.

It it possible to make, like, a grown-up-but-not-teenage wizard? Like a dude who isn't Gandalf old, but old enough to grow a decent beard at least?

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I don't see info on how to join the guild in OP. Family name is Teknologik and character name is Duskdrop. What do I need to do?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

J posted:

You're on the right track as far as thinking about dividing up what character does what. If you put everything on one character you're going to end up doing a lot of running back and forth. The best endgame grind spots are in the middle of loving nowhere.

Some things to think about are AFK fishing gets better as you add more inventory space. AFK processing gets better with a higher weight limit. Gathering is whatever, it doesn't really require anything specific and most gathering spots don't have enemies that are threatening. Note that inventory space and weight limit purchases are NOT account wide, unfortunately.

That's a good point about processing needing weight limit and fishing needing inventory space. That means i don't need to max both those stats on 2 characters. On the other hand i can't do both afk fishing and afk processing at the same time, so i could combine those 2 roles in to 1, and/or just skip fishing entirely.
Now i just need to decide who to put gathering on and if that should be my main combat character.
Kunoichi is the one that interest me the most but i made a witch to get a bit of money and assets. I didn't really like witch on US as i kept dying so much but now on EU i find it a lot more fun. I am guessing it is because i know how to play the game better.
Maybe ill stick with the witch for a while and see if i can get to 57 or so and/or focus a lot more on my worker empire and build up my assets for the Kunoichi that way.

Harrow posted:

This is actually what I was going to ask after seeing a video of how crazy flashy the Wizard class is: is there much PvE to speak of in Black Desert, or is it mostly grinding mobs to level so you can PvP?

If you play Korean MMOs for the PVP you will be sorely dissapointed.
PVP happens rarely, and is primarily gear based and secondly class based. Player skill has little to do with success.The people with the very best gear will steamroll hordes of players with slighly less gear. These players are also usually players that have more spare time than you. At this point in the game you need to play an extreme amount of time to ever be able to catch up.
Additionally, the PVE and leveling grind to get to the character level where you can be competitive takes forever,. Most players think they are playing a "PVP MMO" but burn out on the PVE grind before ever getting to the actual PVP part of these games. As such most people will never discover the fact that the PVP is poo poo. If you want MMORPG pvp i recommend WoW. If you want MMO pvp i recommend EVE. Both are player skill based primarily, class/role based secondarily, and not really gear dependent at all.

I have seen this in several korean "PVP" MMOs in the past so i have no reason to think that BDO is any different.

That being said, the PVE in this game is actually very fun. It is quite unique as far as MMOs go in that it is a twitchy combo based button masher more similar to Street Fighter the Adventure Game than e.g. WoW or FFXIV. That combined with all the other unique features make this for a fairly good PVE MMO. Just don't play it with the intention of PVPing.
Some of the unique features breating life into thie game is:
No instant travel, if you want to go somewhere you need to move all the way there
The node system
The worker system, where you send dudes out to gather or craft for you. Very overwhelming and intimidating at first but great fun when you start getting the hang of it
The various NPC interaction mechanics such as knowledge and amity
The fact that almost anything is account wide, with the exception of character levels and life skills (crafting) everything is account wide, including your worker empire, map exploration, knowledge, quests, gear.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

It it possible to make, like, a grown-up-but-not-teenage wizard? Like a dude who isn't Gandalf old, but old enough to grow a decent beard at least?

To answer regarding boy band wizards, yes, you can totally make one, no need to be old. You can make your character look like a middle aged character too with the built in 3 wrinkle sliders as well.

ColdIronsBound fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 25, 2017