Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I've got a huge cock you can tell by my lame rear end car

I have to drive a lame cheap car because my cock is so big I have to own a second car to transport it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was fun.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, Aliens worked as a movie because everyone in that movie is a dumb mother fucker but they firmly establish early on that everyone is a dumb mother fucker. No one looks at the marines when they are introduced and says "That right there are people who will make good decisions."

Prometheus and Covenant are both like "we are smart trained research scientists, now watch as we do the dumbest poo poo you have ever seen a human being do"

Yeah but in aliens they didn't really even do something dumb.

A poo poo load of armored up as hell people got worked.

There was never as scene in aliens as dumb as the smartest scene in Prometheus.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Kalli posted:

Tom Brady is sponsoring Ashton Martins now, and that's probably the first douchey thing he's ever done in his life.

is this sean connery's car company

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was fun.

Kurt Russell is GOAT

FizFashizzle posted:

I will tell you, flat out, there are three decisions in Covenant dumber than the dumbest decision in Prometheus

And I am including "what is running left?" in that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah, it's been awhile since I saw Aliens, but outside of underestimating the threat, they brought a bunch of big rear end guns to a big rear end gun party, setup proper defenses and just didn't realize they needed way more big guns then that.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Kurt Russell is GOAT

Yeah, I had no idea what the plot would be, but Kurt's about the best guy they could've cast to play that role.

Also, the ravager who you watch get spaced is the Irish guy from Sons of Anarchy. I don't know why I found that so funny, but I did.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The ravager fight scene is also probably one of the best action scenes in years.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Kurt Russell is GOAT

I will tell you, flat out, there are three decisions in Covenant dumber than the dumbest decision in Prometheus

And I am including "what is running left?" in that.

Lol I liked Covenant, but only because of Michael Fassbender being creepy motherfucker and the aliens killing poo poo. I might even get that Alien: Isolation game.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You can rest easy that I only tricked international audiences into seeing Alien with my fly rear end TV spots.

Apologies, not-America

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

pubic works project posted:

Lol I liked Covenant, but only because of Michael Fassbender being creepy motherfucker and the aliens killing poo poo. I might even get that Alien: Isolation game.

Alien Isolation is a better Alien sequel then everything other than Aliens

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, Aliens worked as a movie because everyone in that movie is a dumb mother fucker but they firmly establish early on that everyone is a dumb mother fucker. No one looks at the marines when they are introduced and says "That right there are people who will make good decisions."

Prometheus and Covenant are both like "we are smart trained research scientists, now watch as we do the dumbest poo poo you have ever seen a human being do"

I thought it was the opposite? That every decision made by the marines was reasonable, and they eventually were killed off not because they did anything wrong but were hosed over by the corporate stooge

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

I thought it was the opposite? That every decision made by the marines was reasonable, and they eventually were killed off not because they did anything wrong but were hosed over by the corporate stooge

He didn't tell them about how big the risk was them tried to get ripley or newt insiminated so he could freeze them and bring it back.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

When I said they were dumb I was mostly referring to how unseriously they took the threat until they got ruined

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Not to mention an inexperienced commander who was in over his head.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The ravager fight scene is also probably one of the best action scenes in years.

What, you mean the one where dude just straight up murders hundreds of his former crewmates, most of whom just went along with the new leader, and also rocket raccoon is totally OK with that too, and Peter has no tears to shed over all of the people he grew up with being murdered later either, that scene? Because I thought it was bad, and spoiled the intent of this film of making Yondu be a sympathetic character. Overall I enjoyed the movie though.

Re: trucks and home ownership, as a home owner I like owning my old beat up chevy S-10, but as a financial decision buying a truck just to use it to bring some stuff home from Home Depot five times a year is stupid. You can rent a truck from Home Depot for a few hours and your annual cost will be a tiny, tiny fraction of what you're paying to park a truck in your driveway. We bought our truck used for $6k in 1998 and have used it a lot for various hobbies and stuff and occasionally for camping, but we would have been fine with a wagon and once we didn't need to haul 1000 lbs of clay around regularly, we didn't actually need it anymore.

Go ahead and get a truck if you want one, it's cool, you can have things you like. But don't act like the fact you own a house means you need 24/7 access to a truck; you probably don't.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

What, you mean the one where dude just straight up murders hundreds of his former crewmates, most of whom just went along with the new leader, and also rocket raccoon is totally OK with that too, and Peter has no tears to shed over all of the people he grew up with being murdered later either, that scene? Because I thought it was bad, and spoiled the intent of this film of making Yondu be a sympathetic character. Overall I enjoyed the movie though.

Those guys did murder a bunch of his loyal crewmembers though. When they spaced Chibs and then were mean to Groot, you knew at least all the ones we had seen faces for were toast.

You know who else were just following orders :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

Those guys did murder a bunch of his loyal crewmembers though. When they spaced Chibs and then were mean to Groot, you knew at least all the ones we had seen faces for were toast.

You know who else were just following orders :colbert:

Yeah, I expected him to kill the ringleaders, but I guess the writers decided they needed to dispense with the rest of the ship and get rid of the rest of Peter's attachments or something, I dunno. I felt like it was a missed opportunity, though; in the end, when Yondu is redeemed, instead of having his own crew there to honor him etc. it's a ton of guys we don't really have any emotional attachment to who were just kind of assholes to him before, showing up for no explained reason, to give an audience to his funeral. But Yondu is no Darth Vader and his "redemption" to me felt plastered on, and the feelgoods from the fireworks scene fell flat.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the movie, and this was the only serious flaw for me. For the most part it held up.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Sometimes at the bottom of a really heavy squat, a little bit of poo will escape my butt

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have to drive a lame cheap car because my cock is so big I have to own a second car to transport it

lmao if you don't just slap some wheels on your dick and drive it to work like the oscar meyer weinermobile

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Covenant starts strong with James Franco getiting burned alive within the first 10 minutes.

Grey aliens bursting out of those dudes back and mouth was gnarly too.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I've got a huge cock you can tell by my lame rear end car

check out my bus pass and my monster hog

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

check out my bus pass and my monster hog

I have to have multiple bus passes because my dick takes up and extra seat

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

I have to have multiple bus passes because my dick takes up and extra seat

lol if you don't coil it around you like a giant rattlesnake

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My dick is so big that technically speaking I am the one hanging off of it

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
lol if you dont get two giant prince alberts, attach wheels and longboard on your dick everywhere

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my review of alien covenant

hahahahahaahaah Ridley Scott is so far up his own butt but his movies are garbage now

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I decided to sell my car for a newer car. Car goons, I need a super basic car that's reliable and cheap to fix whenever I don't fix it myself. No frills, just need something that gets me from point a to point b. Is a Yaris worth it? It keeps popping up in my search.

A Honda Fit is much better.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I owed my bookie $500 but my account has inexplicably been suspended on the website. This means I never pay him right?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

wandler20 posted:

I will never not own a truck.

:same:

I have a 2005 A6 with like 30k miles that I almost never drive because I'd rather be in my 4x4

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I owed my bookie $500 but my account has inexplicably been suspended on the website. This means I never pay him right?

put another way: were the roles switched, would the bookie pay out?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I don't think "don't pay your bookie" has ever been good advice but maybe you'll be lucky and not get your kneecaps shattered

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Everything I know about bookies I learned from movies so I have to say pay thr man the juice is running!!!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Promethus gets bashed for having dumb characters, but it's clear that the crew was just thrown together and that the science mission is just a cover story. Their only purpose is a) get Weyland's wrinkled rear end to the planet, and b) act as pawns for David's mad science fuckery. Weyland did not give a single gently caress about hiring the best geologist or botanist whatever the poo poo, he hired the kind of dope who smokes weed with his space suit respirator while on the job. I think in the mission briefing one of them even says words to the effect of, "I'm just here for the paycheck, also I'm a giant dickhead."

That said, Alien Covenant is quite a bit worse than that, mostly because anyone not played by Michael Fassbender is a cardboard cutout to the point where it makes the Prometheus crew look like the ensemble from a 1970s Robert Altman film. Like, they don't even rise up to the level of cliches, because you can at least recognize a cliche, while the Covenant crew are just a wall of :effort:. Except maybe the one loudly religious guy who thinks he's a martyr to his faith, but is really just someone nobody likes because he's a huge pissbaby who screws up all the time. He dies the most obvious idiot's death ever, and I think it was kind of funny in the meanest way possible.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

every 5 mins of alien covenant

crew member 1: you can't do that you'll jeopardize the mission!

crew member 2: mother what are the chances of everything blowing up if I do this?

mother: chances of everything blowing up are 99.9%

crew member 2: we're doing it anyways!!!

crew member 1: *knowing nod* let's do this...

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

put another way: were the roles switched, would the bookie pay out?

good man

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ehud posted:

every 5 mins of alien covenant

crew member 1: you can't do that you'll jeopardize the mission!

crew member 2: mother what are the chances of everything blowing up if I do this?

mother: chances of everything blowing up are 99.9%

crew member 2: we're doing it anyways!!!

crew member 1: *knowing nod* let's do this...

I would have mutineed because there's no way in gently caress I'm going on to any planet that look suspicious in a movie called Alien: Covenant. No sir. Nope. Not gonna happen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well poo poo happens when Kenny Powers is your pilot.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

UK deploying the military to support the police

:catstare:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dumb decisions in Alien Covenant

1. It is established early on the artificial android you only have one of is necessary to maintain the ship during the long hypersleep. You take that android with you on a potentially dangerous land mission rather than keeping him on the ship.

2. After taking a few weeks to fly to an unexplored planet on a whim, you do not decide to wait out the PLASMA STORM in the atmosphere and instead choose to fly through it.

3. With a hostile life form inside quarantine rather than keeping it in quarantine you open the door so you can try and kill it with a space shotgun

4. After being told an alien murder beast burst out of a person after he suddenly fell sick, no one notices that they also have a guy in the group who suddenly got sick under similar circumstances.

5. The evil guy who you know is evil and who admits to being evil tells you he is breeding murder weapons and asks if you want to see his successes. You are alone and he is considerably stronger than you. You say yes.

6. The alien life form you know comes to life inside other people has been bred to have eggs. The evil guy you know is evil tells you to put your face over the egg. You do so.

7. An evil murder robot looks exactly like your nice murder robot. Only one comes out of a room after a fight and says he is the nice one. You take his word for it.

8. Your good robot can instantly heal superficial wounds. The robot claiming to be the good robot has several superficial wounds that are not at all self-repairing themselves. You do not find this bizarre.

9. You stabbed the evil murder robot in the face with a nail and yet do not ever check if the robot who claims to be the good robot has a nail wound.

EDIT: I have had all weekend to just ruminate obsessively over how dumb the people in this movie are

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

roger moore died

rip

• Locked thread