Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lurdiak posted:

????????

Yeah I mean like, for whatever reason, they can't fire the creator off the manga, they can do other things but they don't have the eternally ongoing books the way America does and nowhere else seems to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nessus posted:

Yeah I mean like, for whatever reason, they can't fire the creator off the manga, they can do other things but they don't have the eternally ongoing books the way America does and nowhere else seems to do.

You sure about that?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
One Piece has a definitive conclusion it's been building up to for years now. One of the writer's great strengths is his ability to handle and build up the plot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The longest running manga is a baseball manga that has been running for 44 years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

One of the other longest-running mangas is some stupid poo poo about food snobbery.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Another is the japanese garfield
Except the japanese jim davies isnt as reviled.
And the garfield is a miserly beat cop

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The only manga I ever read and care about spent like 5 real life years on a boat and that kinda diminished my love for it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Norns posted:

The only manga I ever read and care about spent like 5 real life years on a boat and that kinda diminished my love for it.

Yeah......

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Archyduke posted:

For a long-winded and meandering example of these formal differences, Western cape comics and action-oriented manga treat the space of the "fight" in disparate ways. Superhero comics tend to elide fights except for big beats, and if they run long it's as a medium for character drama. Spider-Man fights Doc Ock for eight pages so he can talk to Doc Ock for eight pages, or think about Doc Ock for eight pages, or spend eight pages thinking about ways in which his fight with Doc Ock mirrors or supplements stuff going on in his life. It's like Jacobean drama-- the fight is where catharsis happens, but most of the thing is the tension leading up to the fight or dealing with the consequences of the fight. There's the much derided convention of characters in mid-lunge delivering big chunks of exposition-- but I don't think that has to be a problem, because these fights are often just as much about character drama being expressed physically more than they are about clarity and linear continuity-- and it's often very effective. With the right artists-- John Romita Jr., Paul Smith, Byrne-- Chris Claremont's fights in Uncanny X-Men could be all-time greats, well-paced, exciting, and crisp, even while being extraordinarily talky. A big exception is Frank Miller, whose fights do tend to be more choreographed, but he, of course, was very much influenced by manga. Also Emma Rios in Pretty Deadly.

Manga on the other hand is often all about breaking a fight into its minutia, tracking it beat by beat. This can lead to long, protracted, tedious fights-- a common complaint about Bleach, to name a pretty popular one-- but it can also lead to fun, operatic fights with lots of unexpected twists and turns (another really popular one-- the above-mentioned One Peace, which David Brothers has written thoughtfully about in the context of its fights, is noted for this, ditto, say, Fist of the North Star or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), or be really strikingly choreographed and plotted out dances between the characters (here are a few good articles by the cartoonist Katie Skelly that explain this better than I can in the context of Hiroaki Samura's Blade of the Immortal. At the same time, this means that when manga does short, impressionistic fights in the Western-ish style, it still prioritizes moments and beats differently than somebody like Mark Bagley, who does great fights but coming from a much different tradition. Taiyo Matsumoto is great for this-- most of the fights in No. 5 are very short, but even when they become protracted they're done very efficiently, giving an impression of brutality and speed that really only works when you're used to the form lingering on the moment-by-moment poetics of battle scenes.
This is a good post and I appreciate it. I think the length of the average chapter has a big effect on this; in a 22 page monthly western comic, a beat-by-beat combat rapidly consumes the entire book. However, if you have 50-odd pages of manga to work with, you can have both a cool engaging fight sequence and time to move the story forward.

Here's one of my favorite moments from Spirit Circle, a story about eternal hatred across all of time and space. The two lead characters are reincarnated across history, lead normal lives, and then fate drags them together to destroy each other.

In this feudal chapter, the protagonist is trying to buy time for his royal sister to escape, while his enemy pursues. In this lifetime, this is the first time they've seen each other. It's quite a few pages, but a quick read ( right-to-left obv. ).

The two actually end up surviving and coming to a truce in this lifetime, but it never lasts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at trying to convince people that manga other than Golden Kamui and that part in Vinland Saga where the hero gets his face punched in can be cool.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Enough about manga, let's appreciate some real art: video game tie-in comics!

Injustice 2 #7

Ra's Al Ghul has kidnapped and is threatening Harley Quinn's daughter to try to get her to play along with his co-opted Suicide Squad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You sure about that?
Yeah 'cuz "long" ain't what I'm talking about! I'm talking about how when that dude finishes One Piece, they may still crank out One Piece merch and lovely animes but they won't hire a new guy to draw One Piece - or if they did, it'd be a pretty remarkable change, as opposed to the big two American comic houses, where that poo poo is standard operating procedure.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
"Athanasia"?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That actually reminds me. Naruto has a currently running sequel called BortBoruto that's about Naruto's son, done by one of the original mangaka's assistants. From all accounts it's pretty terrible but I do remember thinking it was a pretty American-comics-y thing to have a legacy series like that with a different person taking the reins.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Veotax posted:

Enough about manga, let's appreciate some real art: video game tie-in comics!

Injustice 2 #7

Ra's Al Ghul has kidnapped and is threatening Harley Quinn's daughter to try to get her to play along with his co-opted Suicide Squad

I don't remember much of anything about the beginning of Injustice, but isn't he right to call out Harley? It's pretty holier-than-thou to call out a guy when you took part in tricking Supes to kill his wife and kid in space and then detonate a (nuclear?) bomb in Metropolis.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

"Athanasia"?

The feminine of Athanasios, a Greek name meaning "immortal".

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I don't remember much of anything about the beginning of Injustice, but isn't he right to call out Harley? It's pretty holier-than-thou to call out a guy when you took part in tricking Supes to kill his wife and kid in space and then detonate a (nuclear?) bomb in Metropolis.

He is and Harley says later in the issue that she never expected the plan to work. She expected Super Man to win and save everyone because he's Super Man.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Harley being a hypocrite doesn't make her wrong in this instance and it doesn't make Ra's right, either. He's holding a kid hostage to try to make her comply, he's already ceeded what little high ground he could have held and is trying to drag her to his level using something she did in the past so he doesn't have to confront the fact that he, as the one with the power in this situation, is being a shitbag in the present.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Ra's has also been doing poo poo like this for... how many years now? because his Lazarus Pits let him live forever, so he kind of lost any right to call anyone out on this poo poo a long time ago

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Keeshhound posted:

Harley being a hypocrite doesn't make her wrong in this instance and it doesn't make Ra's right, either. He's holding a kid hostage to try to make her comply, he's already ceeded what little high ground he could have held and is trying to drag her to his level using something she did in the past so he doesn't have to confront the fact that he, as the one with the power in this situation, is being a shitbag in the present.

From the sound of things, Harley was involved in killing way more than one person. :shrug:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

prefect posted:

From the sound of things, Harley was involved in killing way more than one person. :shrug:

So has Ra's, (and he apparantly intends to in the future, as well, so Harley's got him beat, there) but that doesn't have any actual bearing on the current situation, where he's trying to coerce her by taking a child hostage. Even if it was Jesus himself, he's the one endangering a child and plotting genocide. Even if Harley'd killed billions in the past, it wouldn't change the morality of the current dispute, which is why he's attacking her character instead of her argument.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
One of the few flaws in the Injustice comic, at least while Tim Taylor was writing it, was that Harley earned her forgiveness surprisingly easily. I reread the first volume recently and in the issue where Green Arrow recaptures her, she kills two cops as she's escaping, and nobody ever brings that up again.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I think - and YMMV on this topic, obviously - that there's something to be said for drawing a distinction between "person who did terrible things, regrets them, and is trying to do better, non-terrible things with their life" and "person who did terrible things, does not regret them, and fully intends to keep doing terrible things forever."

I mean, I understand that for each of us there's a line beyond which there shall be no redemption, but that doesn't mean we can't recognize when the attempt is being made. Harley did terrible poo poo, and in that, she's no different from Ra's. But she knows those things were terrible, and is at least trying not to be terrible, and that does make her different, IMHO.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wanderer posted:

One of the few flaws in the Injustice comic, at least while Tim Taylor was writing it, was that Harley earned her forgiveness surprisingly easily. I reread the first volume recently and in the issue where Green Arrow recaptures her, she kills two cops as she's escaping, and nobody ever brings that up again.

The Toolman never wrote any of that book as far as I know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you sure, kind of the whole concept of the book is "more power"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Not enough duct tape, power tools, or uses of hot rods or references to hot rods.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

X-O posted:

I wonder how often that happens to Tom Taylor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

:worship: brilliant.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 24, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

zoux posted:

Superman: I did it, I made a pill that supercharges humans so they are as tough as Kryptonians. RUGH RUGH RUGH RUGH!
(Punches through Green Arrow and the Joker.)
Oh no, I murdered some people. Looks like it's back to prison for me. RUGH RUGH RUGH RUGH!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

HURR HURR HURR MORE POWER

Sounds like he's writing Injustice Superman, at least.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Superman: I did it, I made a pill that supercharges humans so they are as tough as Kryptonians. RUGH RUGH RUGH RUGH!
(Punches through Green Arrow and the Joker.)
Oh no, I murdered some people. Looks like it's back to prison for me. RUGH RUGH RUGH RUGH!

You can do this with any comic story in history hth

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Norns posted:

Whoosh.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

To be fair most everything goes over my head so :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds like he's writing Injustice Superman, at least.

I think it's more Injustice Superman is turning into Superboy Prime.

*beats GA to death* "WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME DO THIS?" *heat visions Shazam through the face*

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Norns posted:

Auugheah?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ariong posted:

Auugheah?

loving bravo spelling this correctly

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

It's after Taylor left, but I thought it was odd that nobody ever called Harley out on her Shazam fixation.

At least when Irredeemable had its supervillain turn heroic in light of a crazed Superman he knew to cut out the whole statutory thing.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Norns posted:

To be fair most everything goes over my head so :shrug:

You need better reflexes.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

haitfais posted:

You need better reflexes.

I got that reference! :woop: