Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

rkajdi posted:

Sorry, should have been more clear. I am talking about sketchiness of local shops. None of them seem to have a real business model or people steadily buying things, so I can't see how they are keeping their doors open. I'd buy stuff on the shelf in a second, but handing money to a business before product is available is saying "I trust you to not go out of business or sell this product from underneath me before I pick it up." That doesn't have a great track record of happening in my experience.

Ahhh, ok. I kinda skimmed over the "two local shops" and mentally went back to MM/DGI. That makes more sense.

waah posted:

I know doom and gloom, but I do worry that after all the poo poo talking about 40k, that 40k is coming back to eat PP's lunch. My meta is pretty good, but without a centralized spot to talk about WMH, it feels like the game is dying even when it isnt.

The fact that SA is nowhere near as popular and we get maybe 100 to 150 posts per week in this thread doesn't help my perception.

Facebook doesn't help because its dumb and half the time the FB robots filter out what you see anyways so you can miss good conversations.

Is anyone over at Lormahordes?

I haven't had a chance to scope out the Kansas City scene (where I currently live) or see the Columbia, Missouri scene recently (where I was up until last Dec), but it's my understanding KC is pretty darn healthy and there's at least a couple players in CoMo. There's also plenty of Facebook discussion that I can see. I can't say much for Lormahordes since I haven't registered for it yet. I get why they might have shut down the official forums, but I don't think it was a net positive move.

Weirdly, I think CID might have tamped down a lot on hype and discussion. If we hadn't seen Gyrmkin CID, we'd be speculating a ton up - especially with hints at what they might do - until they released at LnL, which would be followed by a frenzy of discussion. Same with news of a Bane theme. It might ultimately result in better balance, but it cuts down on a lot of the speculation we used to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, etc, etc. There's plenty of midwest groups that are healthy. There are definitely people out there hoping and praying that PP fails, because of GW. Previously they hoped it would be because of Guild Ball.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 23, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wouldn't worry, I'm pretty sure that the fervor over the new 40k developments are from people suffering from Stockholm Syndrome

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Kansas City does seem pretty big for warmahordes, if you live on the westside of the city, which I don't haha. For some reason Magic is the only thing people are willing to play on the north and eastern parts of the city.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I wouldn't worry, I'm pretty sure that the fervor over the new 40k developments are from people suffering from Stockholm Syndrome

Even if it ends up good, it's still GW.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

S.J. posted:

Even if it ends up good, it's still GW.

That too. I've been looking at the models, and those new Nurgles look good, but drat they soured me really good on just GWness

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Iron Crowned posted:

That too. I've been looking at the models, and those new Nurgles look good, but drat they soured me really good on just GWness

GW's model quality has been amazing for years, it's the attached games that are often lackluster. Also I swore off GW years ago when it seemed their answer to everything was "raise prices".

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Does anyone have a good Morg3 manmoth list? I made a quick one on lunch that I don't like.

I get I should probably do a Hydra instead, but I don't have my Hydra fully put together yet.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Trencher CiD was discussed in the primecast today and part of the theme book are going to be Trollkin Trenchers with super heavy rifles that the recoil would shatter a human's collar bone.

I'm ready for this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Trencher CiD was discussed in the primecast today and part of the theme book are going to be Trollkin Trenchers with super heavy rifles that the recoil would shatter a human's collar bone.

I'm ready for this.

oh my god yes

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

And Trenchers will have the first Structure in the game, which will be basically terrain with guns and the ability to bring trenchers back to play.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Someone did a better write up:

Here's my rough notes

Trencher Long Gunners
* twist on an aspect of the faction
* tough
* better shots
* Command Attachment: "so good"
* CRA

Trencher Mechanics
* mechanics who can fight
* See: commandos

Dog to attach to Trenchers??
* Trench buddy: he can hide in hole(B2b with dug in, is dug in
* Weapon attachment
* Removes stealth within a range
* Gives unit Dodge?? Granted

New model type: structure! Blockhouse. Bunker with guns. Huge base. Revives trenchers
* terrain with rules

Express team?
* sniper team, spotter and guy with Rifle
* Troll with Giant rifle

Siege2
* new suit developed by <<redacted>>
* telescoping turret that pops out
* Can deploy turret, pick up later

New solo gives unit feign death

Theme force gives trenchers Rise

Starts Late June maybe - CID Live at lock and load for sure

its just so loving sexy

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Rememer the old Duelst magazine "Your opponent Is..." series where it showed you a m:tg gamestate and you had to figure out how to get guaranteed lethal? That's how this ended up. We both ended up talking for like 30 min about how cryx could kill me.

I killed a [CID] wraith engine and sprinted there, then the archidon flew in. Everything is blind but the 4 leftmost banes [from skorne perspective] and the one horse that looks like it's facing backwards [it does have LoS to Morg], and Denny herself. Morg has 4 boxes and 4 transfers and no warbeast has been damaged.

Denny does have feat available.

The best solution we came up with was:
Allocate to both warjacks, keep 4 on Denny.
Delta Spilt the Banes, soaking free strikes [Grievous Wounds means no chance of tough]
Ranged cryx jack shakes, backs up, boost-shoots Archidon to kill the bloodrunner [CID 4" AoE]
Denny feats and boosts a cripple into eMorg
Slayer walks up and has to hit on 7s [Def 16 +2 from wall -2 from feat -2 from cripple]. It can only miss two attacks or bust.
Cav charges and tries to finish the job.
It's a pretty low % but that's what we came up with.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 24, 2017

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

loving cygnar

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Rememer the old Duelst magazine "Your opponent Is..." series where it showed you a m:tg gamestate and you had to figure out how to get guaranteed lethal? That's how this ended up. We both ended up talking for like 30 min about how cryx could kill me.

Haven't looked at Cryx cards in almost 7 months, but a couple thoughts:

-Don't Banes have Ghost Walk still? Why are Free Strikes a problem?
-Hard to judge the angle, but I feel you should be able to generate a charge lane for Denny to go in on Morg. Then you Feat, Scourge for the KD, and wail away with Denny's 3 remaining focus for 4 auto hits at decent damage. After that, a few shots/a couple Banes should more than finish it.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

susan posted:

Haven't looked at Cryx cards in almost 7 months, but a couple thoughts:

-Don't Banes have Ghost Walk still? Why are Free Strikes a problem?
-Hard to judge the angle, but I feel you should be able to generate a charge lane for Denny to go in on Morg. Then you Feat, Scourge for the KD, and wail away with Denny's 3 remaining focus for 4 auto hits at decent damage. After that, a few shots/a couple Banes should more than finish it.

Good point on the ghost walk, they just need to get away to make room if you want a warjack there, because a blind model has to sacrifice movement or action if it can't shake.
And eMorg is steady in MK3.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Good point on the ghost walk, they just need to get away to make room if you want a warjack there, because a blind model has to sacrifice movement or action if it can't shake.
And eMorg is steady in MK3.

Well poop. But if Denny still has Shadowbind on her weapon, getting a charge for her may still be the highest odds play, since she'd be dropping Morg's defense enough for reliable hits from the Banes/Jacks.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Here take some pictures of me playing Naaresh vs Sturgess and losing on scenario as I flounder around trying to make sense of the 2017 SR. I wish i had brought a krea instead of swearing I could make a savage work, but that's for next time.

Also, I should stop trying to make nihilators work. Especially when a lot of my local players are Cygnar. :suicide:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

waah posted:

Also, I should stop trying to make nihilators work. Especially when a lot of my local players are Cygnar. :suicide:

What's the problem you've had with Nihilators? I'm been using my Keltarii lately but starting to move back to preferring my Nihilators as I just like having tough baked in as well as the stronger attack. Watching the Keltarii's pow 10s just get brushed off by everything lately has really made me appreciate the Nihilators attacks, especially on the charge.

I've been playing mostly Mordikaar and pZaal lately.

Fun fact: My Keltarii last game killed exactly one model, a single Ret Sentinel. I had a Void Spirit kill an entire unit of Halberdiers by himself in one turn. We had to literally stop and go over the rules just to make sure I was not cheating but it just gobbled them up.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Crazy Ferret posted:

What's the problem you've had with Nihilators? I'm been using my Keltarii lately but starting to move back to preferring my Nihilators as I just like having tough baked in as well as the stronger attack. Watching the Keltarii's pow 10s just get brushed off by everything lately has really made me appreciate the Nihilators attacks, especially on the charge.

I've been playing mostly Mordikaar and pZaal lately.

Fun fact: My Keltarii last game killed exactly one model, a single Ret Sentinel. I had a Void Spirit kill an entire unit of Halberdiers by himself in one turn. We had to literally stop and go over the rules just to make sure I was not cheating but it just gobbled them up.

Well in my local area there is a heavy Cygnar/Khador presence with a good bit of circle and legion. Most players tend to run Jack/Beast heavy with a lot of shooting. It's just not really any good targets for my Nihilators to go after. Maybe if SR17 makes people bring more actual infantry units, but as this game proved, it's most likely that they will try to score in the jack zones and just prevent scoring in the infantry zones.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Someone did a better write up:

Here's my rough notes

Trencher Long Gunners
* twist on an aspect of the faction
* tough
* better shots
* Command Attachment: "so good"
* CRA

Trencher Mechanics
* mechanics who can fight
* See: commandos

Dog to attach to Trenchers??
* Trench buddy: he can hide in hole(B2b with dug in, is dug in
* Weapon attachment
* Removes stealth within a range
* Gives unit Dodge?? Granted

New model type: structure! Blockhouse. Bunker with guns. Huge base. Revives trenchers
* terrain with rules

Express team?
* sniper team, spotter and guy with Rifle
* Troll with Giant rifle

Siege2
* new suit developed by <<redacted>>
* telescoping turret that pops out
* Can deploy turret, pick up later

New solo gives unit feign death

Theme force gives trenchers Rise

Starts Late June maybe - CID Live at lock and load for sure

its just so loving sexy

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

I really hope they don't release new models for the long gunners or mechanics unless they have radically different abilities. I'm already buying into Grymkin.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
PSA: I don't care how high you are on attrition, don't park you warcaster within 18" of a deathripper and within 21" of Denny1 when she still has her feat and more than enough ghost shots. Lost my wraith engine early but it cleared up the space to set up the scourge train. Celestial Fulcrum is kind of a thing.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hello thread, long time no see. I painted something for the first time in awhile. It's not my best, but feels good to be back to painting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That looks fantastic :3:

Sricero
Nov 7, 2010

I Teach Yoga you son of a bitch.
Just got mine done also. This was done by a local who said he got into painting from me pushing to him to play Warma so karma I guess. He is also Pirate Monkey Painting so check him out for work.

Sricero fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 25, 2017

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Macero posted:

Just got mine done also. This was done by a local who said he got into painting from me pushing to him to play Warma so karma I guess. He is also Pirate Monkey Painting so check him out for work.

That's awesome, love the feeling of night and the lighting, excellent work.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So how do you go about setting up a proper lightbox for taking pictures that don't suck?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Some quality of life additions to war room. Building lists are separated into warmachine and hordes sections and now cards contain the tactical tips. It's small but very much welcome.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Went to MoMcon. Had fun.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Now that Cryx is regularly winning events I'm worried we are going to get nerfed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Nobody brought any kind of answer for Ghost Fleet. Not Cryx's fault :v:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Everyone knows you bring double forge seer + behemoth + artillery kapitan with Vlad2 as the warcraster. SMDH

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Krueger 1 with Nightwitch or Ravagers under mini feat and magic weapons from the Shaman. Circle has an entire tier to answer that Ghost Fleet none sense.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Krueger 1 with Nightwitch or Ravagers under mini feat and magic weapons from the Shaman. Circle has an entire tier to answer that Ghost Fleet none sense.

Someone was actually playing that, but I guess never matched up against the guy? I thought it was weird, but Denny 1 is loving brutal with that theme. You can just walk up and shoot poo poo off the table. I don't think it's unbeatable or anything, but it's definitely strong.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Magic weapons not the answer, bulk quality rfp is what beats ghost fleet.

In related news my Infernal Machines Venethrax list got shredded by Wurmwood.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lokipunk posted:

Magic weapons not the answer, bulk quality rfp is what beats ghost fleet.

So the Troll and Ret themes that are "useless" might actually have some use as counter-meta? Who'd have thunk it.

I think the Ret Mage Hunter theme had legs, since your free solos are 6 & 7 points, meaning getting an Eiryss or Narn suddenly becomes reasonable.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

rkajdi posted:

So the Troll and Ret themes that are "useless" might actually have some use as counter-meta? Who'd have thunk it.

I think the Ret Mage Hunter theme had legs, since your free solos are 6 & 7 points, meaning getting an Eiryss or Narn suddenly becomes reasonable.

Narn I could definitely see, but I'd personally try using Eiryss3 as the leader of one of the units before defaulting to one of the earlier ones. Exactly which unit, I have no idea, but the Spears definitely seem neat enough for at least one go-round, and MHSF are still pretty drat good.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Band of Heroes is good but not because it's good into Ghost Fleet. Melee RFP doesn't seem that helpful against a gun line.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
The main counter to Ghost Fleet (at the moment, who knows if this will get errata'd) is RFP that can reach deep, since the best counter is RFP-ing the unit leaders (or stuff like the Sacral Vault gun that switches ownership before destroyed), due to the very obtuse leader model/RFP interaction. Standard RFP is decent but getting those leaders is what you really want. Having magical weapons en masse is not needed but you also need some spot magical removal or else the Wraith Engine and Blackbanes are probably going to give you a real bad time on scenario and threaten your caster in nasty ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well the new animated short with Haley and Denny is actually not too bad. A drat sight better than the "cut scenes" in Tactics, that's for sure.