Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DancingShade posted:

They're literally hand made on a space station by artisans. Bespoke neuromods.

Yeah they're definitely insanely expensive.

Also they require human sacrifice.

But isn't the fabrication of the actual disposable injector just a matter of 'press button, receive neuromod' at a fabricator? Developing new connectomes is a lot of work, but there's no handcrafting involved on the physical units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Also they require human sacrifice.

But isn't the fabrication of the actual disposable injector just a matter of 'press button, receive neuromod' at a fabricator? Developing new connectomes is a lot of work, but there's no handcrafting involved on the physical units.

Don't ruin the mystery for the buyers! Lovingly handcrafted by artisans. Available in gift boxes made from your choice of rare endangered hardwoods with rhino horn inlays and palladium hinges.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thought the game would end after I got called to the office but nope now the elevator is fixed and game is still going. Wish it would end already since now Typhon elite baddies are loving everywhere and the game has become an annoying gauntlet of hundreds of corrupt machines and weavers everywhere. reminds me of the last third of RE7 where all the stealth and tension goes out the window and now you're faced with endless enemies at every single corner.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

thought the game would end after I got called to the office but nope now the elevator is fixed and game is still going. Wish it would end already since now Typhon elite baddies are loving everywhere and the game has become an annoying gauntlet of hundreds of corrupt machines and weavers everywhere. reminds me of the last third of RE7 where all the stealth and tension goes out the window and now you're faced with endless enemies at every single corner.

Max out the Q-Beam's upgrades and light some fuckers up.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I'm going to 100% Prey. The only other game I've bothered that with is actually Dishonored 2. Need to go back to 1 and 100% that one too some time. Here's hoping for a 3.

:hfive:

Me, too buddy. I don't think I'll ever 100% DH1 simply because of the awful Dunwall trials DLC, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Max out the stun gun and get sneak attack 2 and you can instakill a lot of junk with a sneak attack, gliding around on your knees with your .25s-charge 15-magazine zeus bolt

If it doesn't take damage from the stun gun then you just use the shotgun instead for the same result, doomguying monsters apart in one shot from the back

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I didn't like Dishonored too much, because the blink made ghosting trivial. I hear there's an option not to take powers in 2? Is it built for no power runs well?

BTW I bought Prey. We'll see how it plays today

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dex_sda posted:

I hear there's an option not to take powers in 2? Is it built for no power runs well?

Yes. It's difficult since you lose a lot of your mobility options but it is possible to do a No Powers/Ghost/Pacifist run.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Yes. It's difficult since you lose a lot of your mobility options but it is possible to do a No Powers/Ghost/Pacifist run.

Excellent. I might pick it up on sale then. I liked some of what Dishonored did but the triviality of the ghost/pacifist annoyed me

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Super mega ending spoiler questions.

So, since the player character Morgan is a Typhon implanted with her memories, were there real events that presumably took place on the station? if so, what were the choices that Morgan-actual made? Obviously Alex is alive so that's one thing we know, but are those operators at the end just speaking terminals for live people in a different location or are they like January and December?

Or, is the Talos station event entirely fictional and they just put Morgan's memories in and give it a few nudges just too see what happens, sort of similarly​ to how you get Commander rear end in a top hat to pilot the shuttle?

In either case how did the Typhon get to Earth?

I've skipped huge swaths of this thread too avoid spoilers for once so even links to when this might have been discussed to death are cool if no one wants to go over it again.

It's also possible I've wildly misinterpreted something (or just missed something obvious), so set me straight if that's the case. :v:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 23, 2017

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

a kitten posted:

spoilers galore

So...

I think it's pretty safe to say it's impossible to know what choices the real Morgan made, since the game doesn't supply us with that information at the end.

I think the operators at the end represent real people who are probably dead now.

The events on Talos-1 were probably real and are probably directly responsible for Earth's present condition.

As with the first bit, it's impossible to know, since the game doesn't provide that information. My personal theory? Either Morgan allowed the Advent shuttle (containing a mimic) to land, or he injected enough typhon material into his eyeballs to be a threat when he fled back to Earth. My money's on the latter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Erwin the German posted:

So...

I think it's pretty safe to say it's impossible to know what choices the real Morgan made, since the game doesn't supply us with that information at the end.

I think the operators at the end represent real people who are probably dead now.

The events on Talos-1 were probably real and are probably directly responsible for Earth's present condition.

As with the first bit, it's impossible to know, since the game doesn't provide that information. My personal theory? Either Morgan allowed the Advent shuttle (containing a mimic) to land, or he injected enough typhon material into his eyeballs to be a threat when he fled back to Earth. My money's on the latter.

My theory on the ending is...
That real Morgan probably followed the advise of January and blew up the station, which in one way or another backfired caused Typhoon to "infect" the Earth.
Alex sounded very surprised when he said something along the lines of "And yet he chose to use the Nullwave, that was unexpected." That makes me think that the real Morgan chose the other option instead.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

a kitten posted:

Super mega ending spoiler questions.

So, since the player character Morgan is a Typhon implanted with her memories, were there real events that presumably took place on the station? if so, what were the choices that Morgan-actual made? Obviously Alex is alive so that's one thing we know, but are those operators at the end just speaking terminals for live people in a different location or are they like January and December?

Unless someone's found some info I don't know about, these questions are deliberately unanswered for personal interpretation/player choice. I think that the events on Talos really happened in some form, and that the Typhon made it to earth because of those events, but the variables in those events were simulated as part of your empathy test. The four operators are either live people radio-ing in or they're backups like January, depending on if they lived or died. Not having a definite answer makes both possible.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
How did this game not end with a modded up Morgan\Typhon with an eyepatch surfing an escape pod into Earth's atmosphere.

Alex: (garbled, on the radio) Morgan? What are you doing?

Morgan: Finishing this fight.

smashcut to credits

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ending(s)

Oh yeah I love that it's open to interpretation so your own experience is what makes up the "canon". My own idea was that she did blow the station, but it in no way stopped the Typhon due to something unforseen. But, I had forgotten about that shuttle (even though I blew it up), having everything go right and kill the station along with all the people and Typhon on it only to have the survivors on it infect the Earth after all is nice and tragic.

Also, I'd been assuming Morgan was dead, but now that I think about it there's no solid reason for that to be the case right? Unless of course, the original choice was the blow everything including yourself up I suppose.

I also need to load my save and make the "blow up the station" choice since I was to tired to last night.

Good game!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 23, 2017

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I finished!

I think the biggest weakness of the game for me was that for the last 30% of the game or so, there's no new ground to cover. Once you have gone through the power plant and rebooted the station more or less the entire rest of the game is backtracking hither and yon through areas you've already been to. All the intricate and lovingly detailed level design isn't worth nearly as much when you've done the exploration and opened all the doors and found all the vents, so the game devolves into a run between point A and point B and point C with only some new or respawned enemies dropped haphazardly in your path to spice things up.

The (endgame spoiler) appearance of the Apex Typhon is pretty impressive but serves only to distract that the entire endgame run is backtracking to places you've been, once again, with only some typhon gunk on all the windows to remind you poo poo'S hosed and railroad you to specific areas.. I rushed through the last hour of play because I was getting bored and could feel the game losing my attention almost by the minute.

I guess you could make an argument that the main story past the point mentioned above takes you to areas previously only explored for side quests or for the sake of exploration itself, and if you had stayed on the main quest path the last sections of the game would be more interesting. I don't know if I would consider that a point in the game's favour, though.

I think the game either needed to be cut down a little bit in it's final quarter, or some part of the endgame needed a unique area you had yet to visit to serve as the stage for the final bits of the game. Whatever happened to that other station out in space that's running dark? I'm guessing that's where Dahl approached from, but that would have served.

I will say that I really liked the ending plot wise I had put it mostly together that what was happening wasn't real thanks to the December side quest, but it was a pretty excellent way to reflect on the choices you made during the game.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 23, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I really really want a "defense mode" for this game now. I would buy that DLC.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ending chat:

I think it's very plausible that mimics have escaped to Earth before the events of the game. There are a lot of hints that they've infested the station prior to the beginning of the game, where a recycler test resulted in exotic matter, a power conduit melted into goo, and people are getting in trouble for replicating dumb stuff.

What I don't get, assuming the simulation is accurate-ish, is how Alex escaped unless Morgan used the nullwave, as Alex was unconscious in his room and the escape pod seemed to be disabled (maybe I'm wrong on that).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Finally finished first run. Ended up no Typhon powers/save everyone first. Probably doing the exact opposite next. I agree that the endgame could have been truncated a tad. Also surprised that the Nightmare WASN'T a Typhoned to hell and back Morgan running around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This game has some kind of system that perfectly identifies which of two simultaneously playing voices you are less interested in hearing, and quadruples that voice's volume

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ending chat:

What I don't get, assuming the simulation is accurate-ish, is how Alex escaped unless Morgan used the nullwave, as Alex was unconscious in his room and the escape pod seemed to be disabled (maybe I'm wrong on that)

Well, Alex seems to regain consciousness pretty drat quick. In just 30 seconds after shutting the door to his hideout, he'll call in to say thanks. The escape pod is definitely not disabled as that is how you escape if you don't have a shuttle pilot.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Digirat posted:

This game has some kind of system that perfectly identifies which of two simultaneously playing voices you are less interested in hearing, and quadruples that voice's volume

REPAIRS NEEDED PLEASE CONTACT A QUALIFIED ENGINEER

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Digirat posted:

The sound mixing in Prey is absolutely horrible. Literally the worst of any other game I've played and that's not even an exaggeration.

It's a shame that such an otherwise amazing game is held back by that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

The sound mixing in Prey is absolutely horrible. Literally the worst of any other game I've played and that's not even an exaggeration.

Seriously, I had voices at about 1/5 of the volume of the sfx for most of the game and still found some voices really painfully loud like that god drat broadcast speaker. A character will scream into your ear with a megaphone as long as their dialogue is subtitled, then their voice suddenly drops to a whisper after that. The same sound effect will randomly play at 3x the volume under apparently similar circumstances.

I've never understood the constant comparisons to bioshock this game gets, in part because prey's gameplay is far more complex and more similar to system shock 2, and also because comparing bioshock's sound to prey's is comparing a beethoven masterpiece to a vuvuzela

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Ending thoughts

Alex - assuming the sim is vaguely true to life - deliberately chose to use Morgan's memories for the sim. Because she was a terrible and awful human with no empathy who became a better one once she'd been reverted to a blank slate.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Two Owls posted:

Ending thoughts

I like this

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I have a wrench, gloo gun, and pistol, and can't kill anything more than a handful of mimics. Am I just still early enough to be avoiding stuff?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sort of. Don't be afraid to just dump shots into stuff if you get caught out, though. Pistol ammo is very cheap to produce and comes by the bucketful, and it fires as fast as you can pull the trigger. Do note that you can get more guns basically immediately if you poke around enough.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

I have a wrench, gloo gun, and pistol, and can't kill anything more than a handful of mimics. Am I just still early enough to be avoiding stuff?

You missed a Disruptor back near the very beginning (first room after you get out of the sim lab if I remember right, shortly before you enter the lobby) which is the best gun and will stun anything long enough for you to take it down with the pistol.

You'll have to creatively use the tools you have to get to where it is :kiddo: Use the gloo gun to climb to the second floor of the room.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 23, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ElwoodCuse posted:

You never really have to avoid enemies, there's usually a decent way of killing whatever you run into. Don't waste ammo on mimics, just whack them with your wrench a few times. Phantoms are weak against the gloo gun early on, immobilize them with it then run behind and rapidly unload as many pistol shots as you can into their back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, the first couple levels have explosive containers just kinda plopped down everywhere, so don't be afraid to chuck one at an enemy and then shoot it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ElwoodCuse posted:

It takes a bit of practice, but it is possible to kill regular phantoms with just the wrench without any upgrades and without taking any damage. The key is to get in a sneak attack and to empower some (but not all) of your swings so you can keep it on the ground.

Edit: If you don't time your swings right it'll either get up and really hurt you or you'll run out of stamina. This is on the second hardest difficulty, haven't tried the hardest.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 23, 2017

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

CJacobs posted:

Also, the first couple levels have explosive containers just kinda plopped down everywhere, so don't be afraid to chuck one at an enemy and then shoot it.

Similarly, I was having problems killing a Weaver in zero-G until I realised it was hiding inside a massive network of gas pipes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My first experience with the explosive canisters came in the med bay in the lobby, where there are like five of them directly in the vicinity of one another. I shot one of the phantoms in there, missed, and hit the canister, which caused a chain reaction of giant firey explosions that killed us all. :downsgun:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Digirat posted:

Seriously, I had voices at about 1/5 of the volume of the sfx for most of the game and still found some voices really painfully loud like that god drat broadcast speaker. A character will scream into your ear with a megaphone as long as their dialogue is subtitled, then their voice suddenly drops to a whisper after that. The same sound effect will randomly play at 3x the volume under apparently similar circumstances.

I've never understood the constant comparisons to bioshock this game gets, in part because prey's gameplay is far more complex and more similar to system shock 2, and also because comparing bioshock's sound to prey's is comparing a beethoven masterpiece to a vuvuzela

I was so disappointed by bioshock since I was expecting SS3. This game is that!

Jack Trades posted:

I have a 5.1 surround system in the living room and I had an issue with some TV screen playing something, if I turned around there would be no sound at all but if I looked at the TV I'd be able to hear it properly.

It's like 5.1 is enabled but it's not bothering to play sound through my rear speakers. No other game has this issue. Maybe I should force this game to use 2.1 or even stereo???

More questions:
- are 'headshots' a thing? I'm on hard and have never been able to enter some areas in the lobby, e.g. I had to sneak through the trauma center near my office because there were 2 phantoms early-game and I didn't have enough stuff to kill them. I do now but I'm off in hydroponics or whatever it's called
- Do I need to do some quest to 'save people' if there's a phantom with a person's name? Or should I just blast them?
- I have the stun gun and have never used it. Is it useful mid-game unupgraded or is it only useful if you're mr. stealthman with an upgraded stun gun?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

redreader posted:

More questions:
- are 'headshots' a thing? I'm on hard and have never been able to enter some areas in the lobby, e.g. I had to sneak through the trauma center near my office because there were 2 phantoms early-game and I didn't have enough stuff to kill them. I do now but I'm off in hydroponics or whatever it's called
- Do I need to do some quest to 'save people' if there's a phantom with a person's name? Or should I just blast them?
- I have the stun gun and have never used it. Is it useful mid-game unupgraded or is it only useful if you're mr. stealthman with an upgraded stun gun?

- No
- You can kill anything that's an enemy. Named phantoms too.
- It's really good for damage against robots and turrets and certain robotic typhoons. Bad for everything else.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

redreader posted:

1: Crits are all random, and not location-based as far as I can tell.
2: The named phantoms are just flavor for the Typhon infecting the crew. I don't think you can do anything to save them.
3: It's highly useful against a certain type of enemy which shows up more heavily later in the game. You'll figure it out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The stun gun is a merciless monster against anything that does not explicitly resist it

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I miss collecting research ingredients in System Shock 2. That was fun, I had a little room with everything all set up in it to get what I needed for any research project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ending chat:

I think it's very plausible that mimics have escaped to Earth before the events of the game. There are a lot of hints that they've infested the station prior to the beginning of the game, where a recycler test resulted in exotic matter, a power conduit melted into goo, and people are getting in trouble for replicating dumb stuff.

What I don't get, assuming the simulation is accurate-ish, is how Alex escaped unless Morgan used the nullwave, as Alex was unconscious in his room and the escape pod seemed to be disabled (maybe I'm wrong on that).

I'd guess the sim is just that. A simulation.

The way they talk about the events of the game at the end make me think they didn't actually happen in that way. Those were pre programmed events they put in to add moments for the Typhon to prove itself. How did the Typhon react to a relationship/honest. How did the Typhon react to loyalty to crew. How did it react to the touching story of Danielle. Etc etc. Particularly the delivery of Danielle's "it found me, it didn't have to but it did." and Igwe's "it saved me from the cargo container." made it seem like those were entered in events they "built".

I bet there was some truth to that stuff, but I doubt it went down that way.

If I had to guess, as soon as things started going bad the major staff were probably evacuated.