Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

TheRat posted:

And so you must be purged.
What are you gonna purge me with? You have no right to arms so you can't fight me physically. You've sold out your freedom of speech for virtue signalling so you can't use ideas to fight me either.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NathanScottPhillips posted:

What are you gonna purge me with? You have no right to arms so you can't fight me physically. You've sold out your freedom of speech for virtue signalling so you can't use ideas to fight me either.

Ober will find you. He always does.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Thanks but that's not the same? We were talking about people being murdered since 2005 by Islamic terrorism. Can we stay on topic and talk about Islamic rapes and sexual violence since 2005? I think there was a big story about the police protecting child abuse because of fears about being labeled "racist." As someone who recently was called racist by UK citizens for not even mentioning race in any way, I sympathize with that hesitation.

have you tried not being a massive oval office?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Alchenar posted:

If you want to know more, the Home Office publishes quarterly statistics here. Terrorism is a real ongoing threat and we've gotten very lucky over the years.

e: not that this should be in any way be taken to justify going full Hitler, it's just that there's an enormous effort happening outside of the public spotlight to stop those deaths happening.

e2 : and before anyone catches me out on this, a majority of the terrorism convictions involve supporting terrorism overseas (ie. ISIS) rather than domestic terror plots. It's still a persistent and real danger though.

Hmm, average arrest numbers are slightly higher than one person every two days but only 1 in 5 is convicted of anything. That's not great really, given the general atmosphere of fear and excessive surveillance we have.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

how much do you guys wanna bet this guy loves fight club

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Hey guys I have some very strong opinions about a group of people based on facts which I have assumed but can't be hosed to actually look up for myself. I know what I said is true though because I said it. No I don't know what word you could use to describe prejudice in a racial context, why do you ask?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If we don't have arms..... how are we typing?

nothing to seehere posted:

I know that at least in one seat the local Labour party were out campaigning today and got some disapproval over it.

I guess today is perhaps a little poo poo if they're in Lancashire but otherwise gently caress it, politics hasn't stopped, the election isn't delayed and the Tories are going to delay as long as possible it seems to avoid having to defend their terrible record on everything.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The most telling thing about this is that you think a lack of firearms = a lack of fight, you're a coward wanking over the July issue of guns'nammo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why do americans always seem to think guns are illegal here

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

*goes to Glasgow* *gets glassed and beaten comatose within 15 minutes*

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

Regarde Aduck posted:

You can infer racism without directly saying something racist. In fact racists are often very good at never directly saying racist comments while being very racist indeed.

Hmm yes, is this video racist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lQKXC1cbZY

We may never know, those tricky racists!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

The most telling thing about this is that you think a lack of firearms = a lack of fight, you're a coward wanking over the July issue of guns'nammo.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

*goes to Glasgow* *gets glassed and beaten comatose within 15 minutes*

Never forget.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Everyone seen the UKIP ex-MEP from Kent who says that we should bring back the death penalty for suicide bombers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:britain: true british hero that lad.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Everyone seen the UKIP ex-MEP from Kent who says that we should bring back the death penalty for suicide bombers

I'm for it. Might lead to medical breakthroughs.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

namesake posted:

Never forget.

literally the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Glasgow

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:cripes: hahahahahaha

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

She's something else.

quote:

“Many will argue that I’m calling for revenge killings, motivated by hatred. Others will argue that I’m inhumane, that we live in a civilised society.

“Then there will be those who say that the death penalty is not a deterrent, that the warped perpetrators want in any case to die as martyrs.

“None of the above arguments stand up. Not now. We are at war and war crimes and terror cannot be given any quarter or allowed any glimpse of victory.

“These people are not deranged psychopaths, they are indoctrinated into an ideological belief that involves all out war against us.

“I’m not wringing my hands trying to find answers, I’m a politician, it’s my job to come up with answers.

“Today, we should announce that the death penalty will be brought back for terrorist crimes.”

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

Do you have a constitution? A second amendment? No? Check mate :smug:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jose posted:

You can't wave 'em around in supermarkets, so it's basically like living under the stasi

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Looking back through the thread, can we get a round of applause for JFairfax, who spent his night last night making fun of kids who were the victim of a suicide bombing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hoops posted:

Looking back through the thread, can we get a round of applause for JFairfax, who spent his night last night making fun of kids who were the victim of a suicide bombing.

There's hoping for the best and then there's uh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

namesake posted:

I guess today is perhaps a little poo poo if they're in Lancashire but otherwise gently caress it, politics hasn't stopped, the election isn't delayed and the Tories are going to delay as long as possible it seems to avoid having to defend their terrible record on everything.

Not that the Manchester attack isn't important, but the election is more important, and part of that process is informing people on the issues and explaining why they should vote for you.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

namesake posted:

Never forget.

I can't even approach the number of pints that man has presumably been bought.

Hero.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kingturnip posted:

Except that our computers still aren't back up after Wanacry so it was also rather boring at times.
How does that work? Surely by now your workplace has decided to either a) pay the ransom, b) restore from a backup or c) nuke it all and start over?

TheRat posted:

This is lovely: (read the entire thread)

https://twitter.com/DrEm_79/status/866948006498717697

I was watching sky news last night. They had their on site journalist hand his phone to a mother and explain in detail how she and her young daughter were just seconds from being cought in the blast. They then asked her to explain how it made her feel that she and her daughter could have been hit. Real hard hitting journalism there.
I'm aware it sounds a bit swivel–eyed but I feel like (some / most) media outlets are essentially accessories to terrorism at this point. We sorely need stringent regulations on the reporting of terrorist incidents to curb the feverish bloodlust that is clearly beyond their ability to control.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

How does that work? Surely by now your workplace has decided to either a) pay the ransom, b) restore from a backup or c) nuke it all and start over?

Depending on the workplace b and c might mean doing individual machines by hand.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Twitter is possibly the worst medium for long-form explanations but christ, that twitter thread needs reading. The press are seriously out of control. Who becomes a journalist to torture the victims of tragedies?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Do go away. You are not doing anything for your own image, or for your country.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

spectralent posted:

Twitter is possibly the worst medium for long-form explanations but christ, that twitter thread needs reading. The press are seriously out of control. Who becomes a journalist to torture the victims of tragedies?

journalists

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

spectralent posted:

You're talking about a profession that has the likes of Kelvin "loving" MacKenzie and Paul "oval office in Chief" Dacre at the helm.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

spectralent posted:

Journalists are conditioned into thinking it's a race for scoops. To survive, you must become the most aggressive story hunter no matter the cost. It's more important to write the story first than it is to have the most accurate or most indepth one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

In other news, the SWP are handing out leaflets outside the Manchester vigil.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

^^^Sigh, I can list at least three of the people who will be there doing that.

Also the every day street paps will endanger lives by driving dangerously pursuing famous people, break laws to get topless pictures and corrupt the police just for a bit of info so yeah journalism is neither a principled nor reliable profession.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

spectralent posted:

You can't wave 'em around in supermarkets, so it's basically like living under the stasi
There's not even any law against open carrying a shotgun as long as it's unloaded, it's just not anything that anyone would ever do outside of the most rural of rural areas.

There's some debate around the wording as to whether it means no cartridges in the chamber or none in the gun at all, but either way it's something you'd only see in country pubs. Even the most idiot loving sovcit fortunately doesn't seem to want to spend four hours explaining the intricacies of Condition 4 (b) of the shotgun certificate to security at Tesco's. (Also it contains 'reasonable' a lot, so they'd be hosed.)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I mean, I knew people who wanted to become journalists. They wanted to be part of the political process, or be watchdogs searching out corruption or injustice, or something like that. I don't ever remember "I want to be a journalist so I can make a woman who's lost her family cry live on air for ratings".

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

spectralent posted:

Door stepping is the worst. Unfortunately for the most part the two types of people who end up doing it the most are the interns and young reporters who are compelled into doing it due to a toxic culture that treats it both as a right of passage, and also the understanding that if they don't do it then their careers will come to an end at that point, and the true scumbags of journalism - those who have proven to have some skill at doing it and have no qualms about doing it. The first group are seen as being unfortunate, but most journo's have that sort of complex where they've been through the same process so it's normalised to them. The second group is pretty much reviled and treated with distrust by other journo's - but for various reasons seem to be the ones who in turn end up taking up editorial positions.

Journalism is pretty toxic.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In other news, the SWP are handing out leaflets outside the Manchester vigil.

What a bunch of wankers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope the mancs batter the shite out of them as well.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

spectralent posted:

I mean, I knew people who wanted to become journalists. They wanted to be part of the political process, or be watchdogs searching out corruption or injustice, or something like that. I don't ever remember "I want to be a journalist so I can make a woman who's lost her family cry live on air for ratings".

Everyone goes into journalism with these big idealised notions of what they're going to do, but they all end up making compromises because they feel like this is the thing they have to do as a trade off to get to the stories that matter. Eventually they end up becoming desensitised to it, and the big ideals they had get replaced with cynicism and self justification.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

Everyone goes into journalism with these big idealised notions of what they're going to do, but they all end up making compromises because they feel like this is the thing they have to do as a trade off to get to the stories that matter. Eventually they end up becoming desensitised to it, and the big ideals they had get replaced with cynicism and self justification.
perhaps the same could be said of all professions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

There's not even any law against open carrying a shotgun as long as it's unloaded, it's just not anything that anyone would ever do outside of the most rural of rural areas.

There's some debate around the wording as to whether it means no cartridges in the chamber or none in the gun at all, but either way it's something you'd only see in country pubs. Even the most idiot loving sovcit fortunately doesn't seem to want to spend four hours explaining the intricacies of Condition 4 (b) of the shotgun certificate to security at Tesco's. (Also it contains 'reasonable' a lot, so they'd be hosed.)

Plus, you'd just be regarded as a dangerous nutter, whereas in America about a third of the population would regard you as a cool and good defender of ARE FREEDUMS

• Locked thread