Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Final map:

Game beaten, woo :toot: It was fun. It sure was Gaiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ruggington posted:

i love all of my friends who are too slow and too weak to do any damage to these 8 cavaliers

i love my trash archer who can barely survive a round of combat with a steel bow and can't leave a scratch without it

i love everyone not named kliff or gray who isn't afraid to be a worthless burning trash fire

Sorry that you don't have Gold Knight Faye with Ridersbane who clowns any cav in one round, destroys mages, archers and even can go toe-to-toe with Dread Fighters. Mae and her - female best friends dunk on everything in this game.

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 23, 2017

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I want that bitchin shield at the end of chapter one, but I can't really be bothered grinding the sheer amount of levels i'd need to take that bitchin sheild.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Crawfish posted:

I want that bitchin shield at the end of chapter one, but I can't really be bothered grinding the sheer amount of levels i'd need to take that bitchin sheild.

You just need Lukas and Forsythe to be Knights and a decent amount of Mages/Archers + Lightning Sword wielders so you can do more than 5 damage a turn. Which is still grinding, but not very much.

Lure him into a corridor so only two units need to cover him, Warp one of the knights to the other side, and then start wailing on him. Smack Slayde in the face every once in a while to make him go cry at the healing points.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Mathilda one-rounded Berkut at the final dungeon.

I love Mathilda and I love Ridersbane.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you give Lukas and Forsythe shields the enemies probably won't be doing anything to them either at least!

My Lukas is a brick meatwall who will not stop gaining HP, Atk, and Def. He is a huge hulked out mountain of a man. Enemies cower before him and his lesser allies cower behind him so they can kill the enemy with their myriad ranged attacks.

Meanwhile Gray, Gray has decided he wants to be the fastest motherfucker on the field. Gray can double Gargoyles. GARGOYLES. Pretty much everyone else GETS doubled by Gargoyles, but not Gray!

Celcia has some good dudes too, but those two stand out to me at the moment.

Crawfish posted:

I've got a buddy who said he got it, no grinding. I haven't tried his method yet, but what he did was weakened Slayde and then blocked his escape route to the healing tiles. Slayde tried to get back in through the gates, but he would block one or the other and Slayde would run between them.

For Desaix, he had Lukas block the choke point with Cleric Faye using Physic on him and plinked at him with his ranged attackers. He said it took ages, but now he has the bitchin' shield.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Speaking of, do you get more Ridersbanes? I kinda want to check out it's evolution, but I also want to have a Ridersbane around, because I can just dump Forsythe with it in front of an army of cavalry and watch them all kill themselves on him during their turn.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

I love Ridersbane.

I love Rhomphaia (forged and upgraded Ridersbane) more, as it allowed Kliff to oneshot even bulky Dread Fighters with its final skill.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

ungulateman posted:

lmao, just lmao, at whoever designed nuibaba and her chapter

instant death at 7 range on top of a mountain while the player is swamped with infinite flying reinforcements that have a basically zero chance of missing whoever doesn't get instant deathed?

e: okay they didn't mention that the instant death effect only does 50% hp to dread fighters due to their passive, that makes it actually literally possible at least

Faye has a rescue spell, abuse the poo poo out of it. I just had Mathilda run in and kill the casters one by one, rescue her out, everyone else dines on gargoyle exp. or if you have a silver bow silence the caster.

Seriously though Mathilda is a monster! I haven't given her any stats boosts or focused on leveling her and her total stats are still 20+ above Alm. I gave her a blessed lance and I'm pretty sure she's more useful than the rest of Alm's peasant mob put together.

I think my favorite change though: archers are effective against Pegasus knights, not instant death like other games. It's nice not having to babysit my flyers constantly and actually use them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rhomphaia is arguably one of the best weapons because its skill adds your speed to the attack, so putting it on Mathilda or Clair is just destruction for higher accuracy.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Tae posted:

Rhomphaia is arguably one of the best weapons because its skill adds your speed to the attack, so putting it on Mathilda or Clair is just destruction for higher accuracy.

You can't double with the skill though, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

You can't double with the skill though, right?

You're dealing like 50 damage with +15 hit, why do you need to double

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I have the bitchin shield. It indeed took a long arse time.

I forgot that they changed it so that all attacks that would otherwise be no damage still do 1 damage with a chance of crit.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Crawfish posted:

I have the bitchin shield. It indeed took a long arse time.

I forgot that they changed it so that all attacks that would otherwise be no damage still do 1 damage with a chance of crit.

I didn't realize Desaix retreats if you defeat Slayde so I missed the shield and am way too far past that part to go back, is there another chance to pick up the dracoshield?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I didn't realize Desaix retreats if you defeat Slayde so I missed the shield and am way too far past that part to go back, is there another chance to pick up the dracoshield?

One of the possible evolutions for Rusted Shields' is dracoshield.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tae posted:

So it's worth upgrading and losing its effectiveness against cavalry? Mathilda really likes that thing.

She kills many horses with it. But I suppose with the Rhomphaia she could kill more everything?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rhomphaia has anti-armor, anti-horse, and the speed=might ability. The only thing you lose is counterattack kills, but you gain +10 crit and Mathilda can kill everything else way better.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Note that it has anti-horse and anti-armor skills, so you won't be able to double (and kill) if you use those. Still worth it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

How would you even beat Desaix when he has the Dracoshield? No way to cheese him since it gives like 20 def/res

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

How would you even beat Desaix when he has the Dracoshield? No way to cheese him since it gives like 20 def/res

Crawfish posted:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you can always do at least one damage

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

Minimum damage in Echoes is 1 Damage.

Note he still heals 5 HP (again thanks to the Dracoshield) so you must hit him at least 6 times per turn to outdamage him.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tae posted:

Rhomphaia has anti-armor, anti-horse, and the speed=might ability. The only thing you lose is counterattack kills, but you gain +10 crit and Mathilda can kill everything else way better.

Sold! I'll go upgrade it now. Thanks!

My next playthrough I am setting myself the challenge of beating Desaix Dracoshield off him.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Got around to the point where I've done Alm's part of Act 3, and am now leveling up his new units to their final tier. I also went ahead and made the Ridersbane I got into Rhomphaia and since it looks like a big great doublebladed poleaxe with a big spearblade on it, I am happy with my decision to do so since axes/halberds are some of my favorite weapons to use.

I might go ahead and actually level Mathilda and Delthea up all the way to lv. 20 before I promote her. I did that with Luthier since when I checked, I was only going to get one HP for promoting early anyways, so why not just go ahead and level him all the way up instead of waiting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I am so glad they never followed up on a boss having constant summoning+attack negation+18 damage to everyone aoe because christ, this final boss was annoying enough without the swamp.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's my favorite final map in the series by virtue of being actually challenging (and allowing you to save beforehand).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tae posted:

You're dealing like 50 damage with +15 hit, why do you need to double

And I thought the lightning sword skill Foudayant was nice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, Faye has a Tharja ending

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Celica: gets rid of all of Zofia's pirates and brigands
Alm: fights some dudes on horses

question: do the rusted weapons and shields have a set weapon they come or is it random?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Tae posted:

Oh my god, Faye has a Tharja ending

I know I may regret this, but what exactly do you mean by a Tharja ending?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

I know I may regret this, but what exactly do you mean by a Tharja ending?

She never gets over Alm. That's pretty much it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Celica: gets rid of all of Zofia's pirates and brigands
Alm: fights some dudes on horses

question: do the rusted weapons and shields have a set weapon they come or is it random?

alm started and ended a war with an entire empire in the span of a month, give 'em a lil credit

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Beat the game :toot:

Final map was fun and reasonably challenging. They really outdid themselves with the music for the last act's gauntlet of fights; Berkut's engagement music is probably my favorite.

Atlas tied with Alm for most kills at 118 and I find that amusing.

I'm not into LTCs normally, but I'd been clearing maps pretty fast so I held a slight hope I'd be able to get the Blitzkrieg medal (clear the game in 500 turns). Didn't get it, I guess those dungeon skirmishes pile up. I wish they actually showed how long the dungeon skirmishes take in total during the turn count tally at the end, kinda curious how much exactly I overshot the limit by.

But that's for another playthrough, I guess. For now I'm going into the postgame with Alm, Celica, and their personal guard of 8 Dread Fighters. :getin:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Oh no. :( Palla especially was my favorite for being the actual first Oifey.

Sorry to tell you, but Palla and Catria join at the same time with Catria being 3 levels lower and already having a higher overall stat total (even discounting the ring she comes with) than her elder sister. Very critically her SPD starts significantly higher than Palla's along with having a better growth rate, and eventual Falcon Knight base stats don't really fix that. RES starts rather higher as well, but Falcon will fix that. They're both really good units though, so ignore the naysayers.

On other things, I'm not entirely sure it would have been possible for me to get Mathilda if I didn't have Cleric Faye, so that's another point in her favor. Hitting Desaix's Fortress before waiting for one of the spawning cavalry armies was still there meant the one way in ended up clogged for a while, but Faye's ATK stat is so massive she could cheerfully Physic Mathilda from most of the way across the map. Also spotted that dumb Witch out in the middle of nowhere in deployment, so that was Clair's job for the map.

Also, does the second Necrodragon at the Seabound Shrine entrance only spawn on Hard? Celica critting both with Seraphim ended that issue, but if it wasn't for that I'm not sure how doable that'd be without decent amounts of grinding (given their incredibly high movement combined with high ATK and SPD), which I wasn't doing.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
So I guess I have to drag Villager!Atlas all the way across the desert because if I try to go to the shine he and both Whitewings just bail. That's some real bullshit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think I'm just going to play on normal for future playthroughs. Hard just seems to add additional things that basically end with "Just grind more." The eyeballs being literally the fastest things in the entire game, faster than most of my units, is absurd.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You could just head down to the Sea Shrine.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Lord Koth posted:

Also, does the second Necrodragon at the Seabound Shrine entrance only spawn on Hard? Celica critting both with Seraphim ended that issue, but if it wasn't for that I'm not sure how doable that'd be without decent amounts of grinding (given their incredibly high movement combined with high ATK and SPD), which I wasn't doing.
Getting Genny Invoke helps a lot with keeping one of the necrodragons boxed in, and there are enough units in Celica's army at that point that can take one hit. I just did that map last night.

EDIT: To your point, I didn't have to grind to get Celica and Genny to those levels, but I also knew that this map was coming.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 23, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SweaterGear posted:

So I guess I have to drag Villager!Atlas all the way across the desert because if I try to go to the shine he and both Whitewings just bail. That's some real bullshit.

If you beat the encounter in front of the shrine you can go back and pick them up and go through it. The Whitewings and Atlas only ditch when you get into story battles on the way to Mila's shrine.

They can be rerecruited with no penalty where you initially found them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Sorry to tell you, but Palla and Catria join at the same time with Catria being 3 levels lower and already having a higher overall stat total (even discounting the ring she comes with) than her elder sister. Very critically her SPD starts significantly higher than Palla's along with having a better growth rate, and eventual Falcon Knight base stats don't really fix that. RES starts rather higher as well, but Falcon will fix that. They're both really good units though, so ignore the naysayers.

On other things, I'm not entirely sure it would have been possible for me to get Mathilda if I didn't have Cleric Faye, so that's another point in her favor. Hitting Desaix's Fortress before waiting for one of the spawning cavalry armies was still there meant the one way in ended up clogged for a while, but Faye's ATK stat is so massive she could cheerfully Physic Mathilda from most of the way across the map. Also spotted that dumb Witch out in the middle of nowhere in deployment, so that was Clair's job for the map.

I made Faye a Peg Knight and I was able to get Mathilda no problem. I managed to nail one archer over the wall with my snipers, and then I rolled Lukas the Meatwall through the choke point to distract the other ones. Mathilda was fine after that.

• Locked thread