Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it feels weird having two resources, it seems like almost every class does. samurai should be fun though they don't have any dots and i love that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

unseenlibrarian posted:

On an entirely non Cleric Stance related note I like that all the classes have different fancy names in the other supported languages but Bard is just "Bard, maybe with an E' in all of them.

From awhile back, but I like Mage Blanche and Mage Noir.

Really gives a whole new feel to the classes. The White Mage is just there, doing their thing while the Black Mage is narrating everything under their breath in order to cast their spells :downs:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

shield oath @ 30 now

Sword Oath is apparently at 35.

I hope they did the same for Defiance/Deliverance, considering DRK gets both at 30.

Cleric Stance being dead is good because it's one less obstacle to people who want to DPS as healers being able to DPS well as healers. The people who never DPS will continue to never DPS and no one should give two shits about them.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Dude imagine two black mages opening on a boss, but one stays in umbral ice just a little longer than the other so that they can toss the other a quick mana shift, and then by the time the second guy is at the end of his super-extended astral fire cycle the first guy has entered umbral and can toss his own mana shift back over.

hachi mhachi

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ferrinus posted:

Dude imagine two black mages opening on a boss, but one stays in umbral ice just a little longer than the other so that they can toss the other a quick mana shift, and then by the time the second guy is at the end of his super-extended astral fire cycle the first guy has entered umbral and can toss his own mana shift back over.

In all but the hardest content mana for SMN isn't really an issue so they can probably just feed the BLM mana to make stuff go faster. RDM too I imagine.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

sorry what's "mana shift"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

sorry what's "mana shift"

From the link of translated role skills:
>> Mana Shift - Transfer up to 20% of your max MP to target party member // 150s cooldown

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

In all but the hardest content mana for SMN isn't really an issue so they can probably just feed the BLM mana to make stuff go faster. RDM too I imagine.

But then you have fewer black mages.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Looking forward to seeing how long one black mage can sustain a flare chain with other casters feeding him mp.

Also with that triple swiftcast.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

That's not true, summoners love spamming Ruin 3. If anything you'd want the BLM to give the SMN MP.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

From the link of translated role skills:
>> Mana Shift - Transfer up to 20% of your max MP to target party member // 150s cooldown

oh lord

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're with good BLMs or SMNs, it basically means you should never run out of MP as a WHM in future.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oh, son of a bitch. Flash isn't CCable anymore. It was actually really useful as a WAR, too.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I hope you get a lot of Cross Class slots, cause a good deal of the normal stuff a healer has is on those cross class things. The dispel, protect, mana restore, divine seal...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Pretty sure you get five.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Grondoth posted:

I hope you get a lot of Cross Class slots, cause a good deal of the normal stuff a healer has is on those cross class things. The dispel, protect, mana restore, divine seal...

5 skills. And yeah, healers have a choice ahead of them. I'm a pretty dirty healer, and I right now I don't think I'll take cleric stance with the rest of the choices there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, son of a bitch. Flash isn't CCable anymore. It was actually really useful as a WAR, too.

I'm also rather concerned at being unable to Cross-Class Protect and Stoneskin as a PLD. Been getting good at saving healer's mana with it in raids lately.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Grondoth posted:

You'll take them depending on the instnace. Like in a raid both healers don't need protect, just one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can probably get by without Protect at a push once you're familiar with content, but Divine Seal, Swiftcast, the new Shroud (for WHM) and Esuna are pretty much un-droppable. The grip skill is nice but it's probably not going to get a lot of play.

That final slot being a tie for Protect, Cleric, E4E and the grip is a rough pick.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Protect is loving balls anyways. It's % defense and magic defense. Probably less than a 10% mitigation overall. I can see dropping it now that I have other choices.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

New Rez macro: "rezzing <t>! If you don't return the mana you'll be 'rescued'"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If things still work like they do now, you could cast protect at the start of a dungeon and then swap it out.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Holyshoot posted:

You'll take them depending on the instnace. Like in a raid both healers don't need protect, just one.

Hmm. Which means you might drop into DFed story content with both healers with identical CC loadouts, leaving gaps.

Hopefully, one can swap that without putting everything on CD pre-pull, then, because the alternative would be "you aren't going to need to minmax that in DFed story 8-mans".

And while I don't think that's a bad thing, I do think that an opportunity to reinforce to players that it is better to work together and cover eachother's gaps is being missed.

But hey, we're talking about a playerbase where the CNJ questline's lessons were too subtle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You wouldn't lose any interesting gameplay by just baking the effect of protect into all characters moving forward.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You wouldn't lose any interesting gameplay by just baking the effect of protect into all characters moving forward.

You'd miss out on that 2 minute delay before a boss when the tank stalls in order to get protection.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, to be honest, I don't think Protect adds anything. You cast it and then forget about it and the only time it's relevant again is if someone dies... at which point they're already getting a "weakness" debuff anyway.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Time works the same way.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Wonder Turbine posted:

Time works the same way.

That's when you have four black mages, each of whom feeds mana to the next on schedule, and the only job the two healers have is using Rescue to pull them out of aoes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

That's when you have four black mages, each of whom feeds mana to the next on schedule, and the only job the two healers have is using Rescue to pull them out of aoes.

Into AoEs

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

'THAT'S WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU DON'T GIVE US MANA FOR HEALING YOUR SORRY BUTTS STANDING IN EVERY OTHER AOE JUST TO DO A SILLY MANA CHAIN ON EACH OTHER!'

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Insufficient commitment to sparkle motion detected.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what is shirk because it sounds like it's a way for tanks to drop aggro, which would be hilarious

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm gonna go for the Dragoon hat trick by elusive jumping out of one AoE into a second while a healer rescues me into a third AoE and get hit by all three!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, to be honest, I don't think Protect adds anything. You cast it and then forget about it and the only time it's relevant again is if someone dies... at which point they're already getting a "weakness" debuff anyway.

I've never actually noticed when I forget Protect while healing. It's only when I can't figure out why my party is refusing to start running an instance or someone complains in chat.

nuru posted:

Already hearing from WHMs about how the cleric change will relegate them to the dumpster in favor of all SCH all the time.

I heard the same claims for Heavensward.

Yoshida is trying to pull an Uber and automate our jobs away. Come Stormsward release the servers will be packed with unemployed healers lazing about the Golden Saucer.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 23, 2017

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Feels like nin is going to be mch level of no one playing it.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Protect is loving balls anyways. It's % defense and magic defense. Probably less than a 10% mitigation overall. I can see dropping it now that I have other choices.

Please do not drop Protect at anything above level 40.

It is a gigantic amount of mitigation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Please do not drop Protect at anything above level 40.

It is a gigantic amount of mitigation.

Foresight is 10% defence which effectively mitigates 6% damage on the tank. Defence does not scale linearly, so 15% extra defence will be less than 9% mitigation.

I'll live. You'll live. The tanks will live.

Actually, no, I'm wrong. Foresight is 20% defence for 6% mitigation. This makes protect even worse by comparison.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what is shirk because it sounds like it's a way for tanks to drop aggro, which would be hilarious
It has a similar icon to shade walker, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'free' ten percent mitigation is very good, and right now what else do you really need? it's effectively a defensive cooldown with 100 pct uptime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Probably a reverse-provoke to help with tank swaps punish your party members.

• Locked thread