Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
New CVTs are hilariously smooth, you really need to be paying attention to the speedo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Proposed Budget: Under $20k

New or Used: Either, probably used realistically

Body Style: something that fits a rear facing car seat comfortably with a stroller in the back. My wife's Matrix isn't cutting it. (Yay fatherhood)

How will you be using the car?: Short commute, Costco runs, general dad stuff.

What aspects are most important to you? I'd like it to be not a total pig to drive. Reliable. Probably fuel efficient.

Looking at the Mazda SUVs, Subaru Forester and outback, almost pulled the trigger on a Kia soul turbo because of the 0% financing available but it wouldn't quite fit the car seat in the back comfortably.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
My vote is with the Mazdas as it checks your boxes. The Kia Soul is one of the smallest vehicles sold in the US today by length (it is shorter than the Matrix) so not really in the direction you want to go.

Comedy option: Quite older Volvo XC90.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I need to tow a 5000lb gross trailer and if everything goes well tonight I'll have about $5k to spend.

I saw a '97 K1500 with a 5.7 pop up on a local dealer's site that looked petty close to what I think I want / need. Anything I should know about those trucks or watch out for? They're asking $4999 but I figure it can't hurt to look/test drive/lowball.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The fact that it's survived this long means hopefully it was built better than our '97 Suburban, which was a rolling dumpster fire. Ate tires and brakes every 20k, transmission in 40k, Dexcool hosed the cooling system by 100k.

Mom traded it in shortly after that but I believe those Vortecs also develop fuel issues thanks to the "spider" fuel injection they have.

When it all works, it works great.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fact that it's survived this long means hopefully it was built better than our '97 Suburban, which was a rolling dumpster fire. Ate tires and brakes every 20k, transmission in 40k, Dexcool hosed the cooling system by 100k.

Mom traded it in shortly after that but I believe those Vortecs also develop fuel issues thanks to the "spider" fuel injection they have.

When it all works, it works great.

20k should be about 5 years of service... did the transmission slip or shift hard? Anything to look for on a test drive?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monsterzero posted:

20k should be about 5 years of service... did the transmission slip or shift hard? Anything to look for on a test drive?

Up until the moment it died, it drove normally. Road trip back from SoCal to Phoenix, my old man stomped on it to get around some slow traffic. I happened to look back as he did and noticed we were leaving a giant cloud of white smoke from the transmission puking oil everywhere. For reasons unknown my parents had no interest in waiting for a tow so they drove it another hundred miles or so and it was down to second gear by the time we got home :v:

20k in this thing was annual. It did get beat on hard but even the loving first-year Trailblazer that replaced it was vastly more reliable.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Zosologist posted:

Proposed Budget: Under $20k

New or Used: Either, probably used realistically

Body Style: something that fits a rear facing car seat comfortably with a stroller in the back. My wife's Matrix isn't cutting it. (Yay fatherhood)

How will you be using the car?: Short commute, Costco runs, general dad stuff.

What aspects are most important to you? I'd like it to be not a total pig to drive. Reliable. Probably fuel efficient.

Looking at the Mazda SUVs, Subaru Forester and outback, almost pulled the trigger on a Kia soul turbo because of the 0% financing available but it wouldn't quite fit the car seat in the back comfortably.

I think what you want is a cx5.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I drove a 2017 CX5 this weekend.

The interior of that vehicle is super high quality. I thought the <2017 models had really nice interiors, but they really stepped up their game on the 2017. The interior matches or exceeds the Q5 and X3 models I've been in.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Those Vortec systems are weird, some gently caress up at low mileage for no apparent reason, while others chug along for hundreds of thousands of miles just fine. My personal belief is that the ones driven hard last longer, as I've replaced a lot of them and excessive carbon deposits in the intake seem to be a common thread.

The replacement setups use eight(6 for the 4.3) little injectors inside the intake rather than the one injector feeding eight poppet valves like the stock setup. It's not too difficult of a job to do, even for a DYI.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
It never occurred to me that there would be anything other than injectors sitting on a rail in the 21st century. :911: I would want to look for hard cold starting, rough idle and p030x misfires, right? Do they smooth out at speed?

Eta: I have seen more than one 'replaced all the ignition still misfires' on CL. If those need a $500 mpfi upgrade to nurse back that might be an opportunity...

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 23, 2017

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used, I'm currently looking at 2014+
Body Style: 4 door hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (15-30 minute commute), occasional multi-state trip, able to handle gravel/country roads/streams without concern (a rare but likely event), possibly a cross-country move in the next few years.
What aspects are most important to you? Costs and functionality: reliability, MPG, cargo, comfort. I'm not against other nice perks, but they're not my primary concern. I'll probably get it repainted rather than try to find one in orange.

Currently I'm looking at Mazda3 and Fusion. It seems that Mazda3 had some sort of revision in 2014 that improved a lot of things and bumped MPG way up, so I'm looking at there or newer. It's harder to say if there was a recent revision or not for the Fusion, but I'd probably be looking at a similarly-recent car just to keep mileage low and increase the chances of still having a manufacturer warranty active.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Drivetrain is basically a CR-V and Honda made roughly four trillion of those. The bodywork is a bit tougher to come by as are the interior bits but probably 80% of part numbers are Honda partsbin.

You're not exactly looking at a Maserati Khamsin or something, they sold 10-20k of them a year for a few years. Beware, Element people fucken love their weird box cars so expect to pay roughly a 40% premium over an equivalent CR-V.

Why'd they stop making the Element anyway?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think the 2008 recession crushed millennial's aspirations of buying new cars.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Maybe wrong thread, but I'm looking for good financing options before I go shop. Last time I got a car note (2012) I was able to get 2.54% on a 60 month note. I'm looking for a shorter term, 48 months, and hopefully a similar or lower interest rate. Is there an aggregator website with the best financing offers? Creditkarma, American Express and Discover all say my credit score is between 750-760.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Maybe wrong thread, but I'm looking for good financing options before I go shop. Last time I got a car note (2012) I was able to get 2.54% on a 60 month note. I'm looking for a shorter term, 48 months, and hopefully a similar or lower interest rate. Is there an aggregator website with the best financing offers? Creditkarma, American Express and Discover all say my credit score is between 750-760.

You have a relationship with a local credit union? Mine does 1.95% if you apply online.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

They sold 50,000 to the only people who wanted one.

It sold like garbage and had no advantages over the CR-V for 99.5% of the US population.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They sold 50,000 to the only people who wanted one.

It sold like garbage and had no advantages over the CR-V for 99.5% of the US population.

The resale value says different.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nm posted:

The resale value says different.

not really, though. there's a very limited subset of people who Really Want an Element - those people will naturally prop up the resale value in a small market. The sales numbers were quite low, meaning that for the broader market the car just wasn't a good fit.

Put it another way: Simca-Matra Murena resale values are quite high. Does that mean Matra should rise from the grave and start producing the Murena again?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

bankrate.com kind of does this, but not perfectly

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The fuel economy was also quite a bit worse than the equivalent CRV which probably didn't help their CAFE numbers.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

monsterzero posted:

It never occurred to me that there would be anything other than injectors sitting on a rail in the 21st century. :911: I would want to look for hard cold starting, rough idle and p030x misfires, right? Do they smooth out at speed?

Eta: I have seen more than one 'replaced all the ignition still misfires' on CL. If those need a $500 mpfi upgrade to nurse back that might be an opportunity...

I don't generally hear complaints about cold starting, but I'm in temperate California. Everything else yes, though, especially idle and off-idle roughness.

You have to be careful, though, because the Vortec CSFI is very sensitive to compression loss. You'll get a misfire code and rough idle from a cylinder that's as little as 10-12 psi less than the others as measured by a dry compression check, and you don't wanna throw time and money into an engine with internal issues. It won't seem down on power and it'll run smooth at speeds 1500rpm and up, but it'll give you misfire codes and lopey idle, so be sure to check compression before changing the 'spider'.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pentagon Federal is doing 1.49% for 36 months, 1.99% for 48 months on new cars. 1.99%/36, 2.74%/48 used.

Nov 6, 2002

Proposed Budget: 25-35k
New or Used: New, possibly used
Body Style: Mini-van or SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work daily (short suburban drive), transporting kids to sports, longer trips on weekends.
What aspects are most important to you?: In descending order: comfort and space, fun to drive, coolness factor, mileage, costs

My wife and I only have two kids, but now that they're both active in sports and we added a dog to the family, we've found that we really do not have enough room with either of our cars on the weekends to transport kids + friends + dog. I have a 2010 Subaru Forester XT, and she has a 2015 Mazda CX-5. In retrospect we should have gone with something larger a few years ago, but we just didn't see the need at the time.

From a practical stand point, the mini-van makes the most sense. And if I were to go down that road it would probably be a Honda or Toyota. But the thought of driving a mini-van on my daily commute does make me cringe a little. I'm also not interested in a giant honking SUV. But we both love her CX-5 and the CX-9 seems very like a very appealing option - we're also interested in the Ford Flex. But how useful is that third row in an SUV versus a mini-van?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was in a similar situation to you and got a sorrento with a 3rd row. 3rd row is very useful and fits kids and adults when needed.

I think the sorrento is one of only mid size cuvs with a third row.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Motronic and IOwnCalculus posted:

Suggestions

Thanks guys, I've found some of these in the area and I'm going to test drive a few this weekend. Recently, I borrowed an 03 Sequioa for a week and the thing wasn't that bad to drive. I'm going to check out one of those too along with some Yukons. Anything I should keep an eye out for on the 06-09 Youkons? I'm starting to lean towards the bigger vehicle for the extra space.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

But how useful is that third row in an SUV versus a mini-van?

3rd rows are OK for kids 12 and under. I don't think there's a 3rd row in a non truck based SUV that's suitable for an adult to sit in for any extended period of time, and even larger SUV's like Tahoes and Escalades I'm not sure about. I know my cousin's wife ruled out the Tahoe as she found the 3rd row unsuitable for her to sit in on road trips. Ingress/Egress sucks as well compared to the van.

If you need a 3rd row that's usable for adult sized humans, just suck up the pride and get the minivan.

Trust me, I have the same feelings as you about minivans, but I drove a cousin's Sienna for a weekend with 2 adults and 4 kids and it was a superbly capable vehicle. Had no problems comfortably seating 6 anywhere in the cabin, and swallowed up a 5 day vacation worth of luggage and beach stuff with no problem. From a logical perspective they are the supreme vehicle for parents with active kids or the need to carry more than 4 adults on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I like many others, can't get over the 'stigma' of minivan ownership.

One thing to mention, the 3rd row in what I consider to be mid sized CUV's (crossover utility vehicles), generally becomes an either/or situation when it comes to storage. The aforementioned Sorento with the 3rd row up has only 11.3 cu feet of cargo space available. The 3rd row in these vehicles is there for once in a while usage, I wouldn't try to use one of these with the intention of always using the 3rd row.

The Sorento for comparisons sake is what I personally classify as a midsize CUV (187" length). There are some larger CUV's (I have a hard time calling non body on frame (truck based) SUV's SUV's) like the Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, and the Mazda CX-9 that have a little bit more cargo area with the 3rd row up due to longer wheelbases.

The CX9 is 199" long and has 14.4 cu feet of space with the 3rd row up. Explorer 198" long with 21 cu feet of cargo space behind the 3rd row. Honda Pilot 195"/16 cu feet.

The Flex is a polarizing vehicle. It's based on the Explorer platform and is very similar just a different body style. People seem to love or hate it. It's longer at almost 202", and has 20 cu feet of storage behind the 3rd row.

TL;DR get the van, tint the windows dark if you don't want to be seen. Get yourself a "DAD GAME STRONG" tshirt.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The Ford Flex is the most comfortable car I've ever been in.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I generally dislike American cars but was super impressed with the Flex I've rode in. It had the captains chairs at the second row instead of a bench.

Nov 6, 2002

What are the pros and cons of a Flex? How do the reliability numbers look?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's true with the sorrento. There is no storage with the third row up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My wife commutes daily in her Odyssey and is fine with it. Gets upper 20s MPG so it's not expensive.

I don't like driving it just because it's big. As big vehicles go, it's pretty good.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pro and Con: Looks, very polarizing, people love or hate.

Con: MPG isn't that great

Powertrain: Generally the Ford 3.5L engine (both NA and EcoBoost) are regarded as pretty solid units. The 6F transmissions are pretty solid to my knowledge. The Ecoboost definitely uses the 6F55 which again to my knowledge is really solid. I don't know if the NA motor uses the same transmission or a 6F50 or 6F30 (this one would be surprising).

I see way more complaints online about interior stuff and electronics than power train issues.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's huge. It looks like a land barge.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

euphronius posted:

I couldn't hate it more or mock those driving it if I tried, so take that into consideration if randos judging you bothers you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

They're very nice vehicles, but drat they're not pleasant to drive if you don't like driving a bus.

I really, really wanted to like one enough to buy it, but the driving experience was just too unpleasant for me.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I shopped around and thanks to this thread's recommendation I found the best rate at my company credit union. I wasn't a member, but they offer 1.49% loans for someone with my credit score, so I applied for membership. Now it's between 1.49% and seeing if I can qualify for the dealer incentive 0% for "well qualified buyers".

What's the deal with that (Subaru specifically)? Is it a hard credit score line you have to be above, or is it another negotiable item that you can squeeze out of the dealership?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

euphronius posted:

I bet if you put on your blinkers you could run red lights and people would just assume it's a hearse. Because it looks like a hearse.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I shopped around and thanks to this thread's recommendation I found the best rate at my company credit union. I wasn't a member, but they offer 1.49% loans for someone with my credit score, so I applied for membership. Now it's between 1.49% and seeing if I can qualify for the dealer incentive 0% for "well qualified buyers".

What's the deal with that (Subaru specifically)? Is it a hard credit score line you have to be above, or is it another negotiable item that you can squeeze out of the dealership?

Keep in mind that 0% has a big ol' asterisk next to it with something like ($29.99 fee assessed for every $1k financed, <= 36 month term only).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IRQ posted:

I bet if you put on your blinkers you could run red lights and people would just assume it's a hearse. Because it looks like a hearse.

You're thinking of its cousin the Lincoln MKT