Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
7.62 should be able to go through most of the houses then if they add bullet penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was killed through the wall of those tiny shacks. It could have been a glitch, though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Skoll posted:

7.62 should be able to go through most of the houses then if they add bullet penetration.

these are eastern european houses we're talking about , 9mm will go through those walls if we want to be realistic

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Inzombiac posted:

The only pistol kills I get is when I can squeeze two quick shots off on a distracted enemy.
Though I had a cool gunslinger moment where I waited for a guy to open a door to the outside and unloaded the revolver into him.

Oddly enough, it reminded me a lot of APB.

the .45 with a silencer is really fun to unload on someone at close range if you get the jump on them.

How do you guys feel about 1st person vs 3rd person? My friend and I have been going back and forth on it for a while now. He is really advocating to make this game 1st person only, he thinks it would make it much more intense and lead to less camping in general. He likes this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7zoVIsIT2A

Thoughts?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
The doors don't have penetration until you physically blow holes in them.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

the .45 with a silencer is really fun to unload on someone at close range if you get the jump on them.

How do you guys feel about 1st person vs 3rd person? My friend and I have been going back and forth on it for a while now. He is really advocating to make this game 1st person only, he thinks it would make it much more intense and lead to less camping in general. He likes this video:

Thoughts?

This thread had a very, very long argument discussion on this topic, I think that the tl;dr is that we all agree it's exploitable but that past-experiences show that these sort of games are a lot more popular if they're in 3rd person than they are in 1st.

There is a 'hardcore' 1st person only mode on the way though, so tell your friend he can rest easily.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Thoughts?

Yeah mandatory 1st person would be real good but until that happens you should stick with 3rd person 95% of the time. The situational awareness advantage it gives you far outweighs the aiming penalty.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There is a 'hardcore' 1st person only mode on the way though, so tell your friend he can rest easily.

I would probably play a hardcore mode, where everyone was limited to first person only, I also don't care about third person, since it's also something available to everyone.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

red medical cross being trademarked/copywritten or whatever is pretty funny imo

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Third person is fun and good and I like seeing my pretty barbie all dressed up.

I mean, I don't see how it's an "exploit" when the same tools are available to everyone. If you think having some sort of e-honoure makes you better because you refuse to play in 3rd, that's on you.

People had the same argument over the latest SW Battlefront and the game was funner in 3rd because you could see more poo poo in what was an absolutely gorgeous game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Problem with first person is it basically makes being prone a liability because of the foliage. You have to move around a bit just to get a clear shot.

https://streamable.com/9b45g

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think first-person only is probably healthier, honestly. The game rewards camping enough as it is; being able to see 360 around you while also not moving or giving up your position in the slightest is insane.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I think first-person only is probably healthier, honestly. The game rewards camping enough as it is; being able to see 360 around you while also not moving or giving up your position in the slightest is insane.

Camping is a valid tactic though. Yeah, it's annoying but it is pretty inevitable in games like these.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Yeah but running through forest in first person, it's going to be hard to see someone shooting at you which benefits camping.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Third person is better In some ways because real humans have perceptive abilities that translate very poorly to vidja games, so trade offs have to be made. That said I'd play hardcore mode for sure as long as they enable custom fov with it

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I like the third person and would be less inclined to play if I were forced into 1st person in this game. The map feels too big to not have a 360 view of what's going on.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Skoll posted:

Third person is fun and good and I like seeing my pretty barbie all dressed up.

I mean, I don't see how it's an "exploit" when the same tools are available to everyone. If you think having some sort of e-honoure makes you better because you refuse to play in 3rd, that's on you.

First I don't think anyone is saying that using 3rd person is an exploit, second I think the people who want a first person mode wants one just because they prefer 1st person like you do 3rd, but if you're running 1st person now you're at a huge disadvantage to everyone who isn't.

Literally no-one is saying that first person should replace 3rd person as default, because that isn't how this genre works or what most people want.

I'd just like to have both options available for variety's sake.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Nights posted:

First I don't think anyone is saying that using 3rd person is an exploit, second I think the people who want a first person mode wants one just because they prefer 1st person like you do 3rd, but if you're running 1st person now you're at a huge disadvantage to everyone who isn't.

Literally no-one is saying that first person should replace 3rd person as default, because that isn't how this genre works or what most people want.

I'd just like to have both options available for variety's sake.

Both options are available though. I understand what you're saying though, like Arma having some servers that are locked in 1st, etc.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh. Has it been 20 pages since we had the 1st/3rd person debate again?

I vote for 2nd person. We all just watch the AI play.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Akion posted:

Oh. Has it been 20 pages since we had the 1st/3rd person debate again?

I vote for 2nd person. We all just watch the AI play.

What debate? Why would people would have issue with a separate game mode that they won't ever have to play? 0.5s longer queue times? Gamers are weird.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Bohemian Nights posted:

What debate? Why would people would have issue with a separate game mode that they won't ever have to play? 0.5s longer queue times? Gamers are weird.

Because Nerds/Goons/Babbies. take your pick

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
who's your favorite berry picking streamer git gud?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
It's because this gaming forum routinely likes to make talking points out of nothing in an attempt to show how cool/smart/good their opinion is. Usually involves posting a single reddit or neogaf link with an outlier opinion, and then pretending it's the majority opinion of the masses and is going to ruin everything.

Like that Zombie custom server is barely played, and people hear are crying about how it's going to usurp the main game mode or some nonsense.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't care about 1st or 3rd person. Whatever the dev wants to do, I'm cool with it.
It better be 3rd because I want to see the rewards of my dress up.

I'd like some throwing weapons. Silent throwing knives, axes and whatnot. Sometimes the situation is close but another enemy is poking around outside.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The crossbow fits that niche just fine, though.

Having a silent ranged weapon in the melee slot would probably be unbalanced, though I guess it does give you the choice of that or the almighty pan.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
How about if the angle of the freelook was limited, more limited when crouching, and most limited when prone.

Sounds like a good compromise to me.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:
gently caress the debate between 1st and 3rd person and all these other updates, this game desperately needs bullet penetration. I can't stress enough how much I want bullet pen.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Carebearz posted:

gently caress the debate between 1st and 3rd person and all these other updates, this game desperately needs bullet penetration. I can't stress enough how much I want bullet pen.

I thought it already was? You can shoot through wood fences and fuccboi huts and stuff, no?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I thought it already was? You can shoot through wood fences and fuccboi huts and stuff, no?

There's no bullet penetration atm

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Do they stop when they hit a player as well?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
you should only be able to use third person if you eat berries but not the poison ones

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How about rocket launchers.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

How about rocket launchers.

I don't think they would taste very good.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Plz add driveable farm machinery around the map. Preferably a combine harvester. I will also accept a tractor with a hay bail impaler.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

really we need a new troop transport truck just a big rear end truck you can plow through other cars with

make it unable to climb hills so shitlords cant park them everywhere :thumbsup:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Skoll posted:

Camping is a valid tactic though. Yeah, it's annoying but it is pretty inevitable in games like these.

I think if you pushed back too hard against camping strategies you'd limit the potential playerbase by a lot. Allowing players with weaker shooter skills to win occasionally through luck & positioning is good in the long run.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I love clipping my kills and my deaths, and analyzing the replay. And other funny stuff like ragdoll weirdness.

https://streamable.com/5579b

https://streamable.com/avu9h

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
I would prefer the game to be 1st person as well but just changing an entire aspect of a game that's already out (albeit EA) would be daft.

To the people who prefer the third-person, what's the trick to approaching cover with a potential enemy behind it? You're highly likely to lose as the camper sees you clearly without peeking, has your horizontal level lined up perfectly and the element of surprise?

Anyways let me tell you how I'd develop a game :smug: ... What if the third person camera moved in tighter as you got closer to facing a collision object? It would be the same way the camera pulls in when it's behind you hitting a wall instead of clipping through.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

zipzilchzero posted:

I would prefer the game to be 1st person as well but just changing an entire aspect of a game that's already out (albeit EA) would be daft.

To the people who prefer the third-person, what's the trick to approaching cover with a potential enemy behind it? You're highly likely to lose as the camper sees you clearly without peeking, has your horizontal level lined up perfectly and the element of surprise?

Anyways let me tell you how I'd develop a game :smug: ... What if the third person camera moved in tighter as you got closer to facing a collision object? It would be the same way the camera pulls in when it's behind you hitting a wall instead of clipping through.

Are you talking about if you know they are there? Cause then you can throw grenades at the corner, pop smoke, run at the corner with your gun raised ready for them to come.

If you are talking about surprising someone from a corner... well that's just part of the game. If someone has been stalking you, set up their positioning correctly so you are running into them around a corner, and you have 0 clue they are there, then well they deserve to kill you unless they miss the shots.

It's not like it's easy to successfully stealth stalk someone in this game, given that they also have a 3rd person camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Throwing my hat in the ring here with 3rd person being just fine.

You're still going to die to campers in first person view. If anything 3rd person helps you spot campers in many situations you wouldn't be able to in 1st person since you can look around corners.

Whatever I'll still play the poo poo out of this game.

• Locked thread