Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The worst part about the Aliens Special Edition is Hudson telegraphing the existence of the queen. That absolutely has to go, but I can live with everything else.

I'm pretty sure Hudson's talk about the ant/bee hive is in the theatrical as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RedSpider posted:

I'm pretty sure Hudson's talk about the ant/bee hive is in the theatrical as well.

Nope. Bishop and Ripley have a scene which amounts to "but where do the eggs come from" but Hudson's on-the-nose comment about the queen isn't there.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's less that I'm wondering why episode 2 doesn't lead into episode 4, and more that I'm a little confused as to what the hell episode 3 is gonna be about, given that (a few weird little inconsistencies aside) it seemingly does.

Ok, I see. But if there had never been a follow-up to Prometheus we also could have assumed that (weird inconsistencies aside) it led directly into Alien. Like Shaw and David's stolen ship was same one that crash-landed on LV-426, and it either had a payload of Alien eggs instead of mutagen urns or some sort of outbreak happened in the meantime to bring them about. If the goal was just to lead to Alien that would have worked better, actually.

Any way they choose to go there will always be a few inconsistencies, since Ridley seems to be intentionally retconning some aspects of the series (for example, the scale of the space jockey / 'Engineers').

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe Scott deliberately made this a lovely Alien movie so that the fans would shut up and just accept more prometheus poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In order to soothe the thread, let's have the dumbest poo poo ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJtYDb7YaJ4

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The worst part of the Aliens special edition, for my money, is the bit with Newt's family. I cannot think of a better example of one scene just utterly torpedoing a movie's pacing.

The thing is, the theatrical cut is set up so that you approach it differently based on whether or not you've seen Alien. If you have, you know exactly what Ripley's talking about and you know that she's in the right when arguing with the Weyland-Yutani suits; if you haven't, then other than a couple of hints like the chestburster dream, it's deliberately left completely ambiguous whether she's right or just crazy. The Newt's family scene fucks this up by straight up loving showing you a facehugger, in a scene that's unambiguously diegetically "real," before most of that even happens.

Regardless of that, in the theatrical cut, the fact that the Hadley's Hope colony has been infested with xenomorphs is slowly revealed throughout the initial exploration of it by the Marines in an incredibly tense sequence. The woman cocooned to the wall is an incredibly effective moment in the theatrical cut, because in addition to serving as a release valve for the preceding tension (as all good violent scenes in horror do), it brings both chunks of the audience onto the same page: those who have seen Alien know what's about to happen because they saw it happen to John Hurt, those who haven't suddenly realize that Ripley was totally right because it's deliberately visually similar to her chestburster dream. The bit with Newt's family takes a big ol' poo poo all over this by literally, directly telling the viewer that the Hadley's Hope colony got infested with Xenomorphs, way before this whole sequence.

Essentially, it utterly deflates the tension of the first act by changing foreshadowing to outright dramatic irony. It's a heavy-handed addition to a movie that did just fine using a light touch on that particular aspect, and it utterly blows.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

MrMojok posted:

I was thinking about getting an AvP game on Steam. What are the thread's thoughts on the Aliens Vs Predator Classic 2000 compared to the 2010 AvP game?

I'm sure I will play as all three characters at some point, but I am mainly interested now in playing as the Marine. I did play the 2000 game, but it has been ages. I'm wondering how the graphics hold up today, and how the USCMC campaign in it stacks up to this more recent 2010 version.

Here is my advice from experience. AVP Classic is okay, but it hasn't aged too well. Also, facehuggers are super insta-kill.

AVP 2 is the best of the three but the studio who made it went under so its hard as gently caress to get. Which sucks since it really does have the best human campaign of all three. The expansion pack wasn't too hot, though.

AVP 2010 is good in its own way. It's not a stand-out modern fps, but its serviceable. You'll really be playing it for the Alien and Predator campaigns which benefit greatly from the increased graphical fidelity. It feels much more satisfying to rip someone's head off as a trophy as the Predator in glorious 1080p. Ditto on being the Alien.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arglebargle III posted:

Haven't even started the video yet, but isn't this guy somewhat hated for allegedly making up poo poo to complain about. Like, I remember a lot of people getting on his case over a couple of his videos misrepresenting some movies either through intentional misrepresentation or error on his part.

Edit: Oh dear God, he's an idiot. Aerodynamics don't matter in space! Ripley was wearing a shirt! The loving pasties were there to monitor their heart rate! This is basic poo poo that you can infer from watching the movie!

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 23, 2017

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

So I guess I can just ignore the prometheus interviews/dialogue?

Engineers did NOT create Humanity or the Xenomorph

Ridley Scott posted:

So we've reinvented the idea of Alien, I think, which is that Covenant gets us a step closer to who and why was this thing designed to make human beings. And if you think it's them [the Engineers], you're dead wrong.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Covok posted:

Haven't even started the video yet, but isn't this guy somewhat hated for allegedly making up poo poo to complain about. Like, I remember a lot of people getting on his case over a couple of his videos misrepresenting some movies either through intentional misrepresentation or error on his part.

Edit: Oh dear God, he's an idiot. Aerodynamics don't matter in space! Ripley was wearing a shirt! The loving pasties were there to monitor their heart rate! This is basic poo poo that you can infer from watching the movie!

Yeah, the channel is just typical YouTube trash that gets a ton of hits so he rolls with it because money.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Covok posted:

These types of things are generally hated by cinephiles and people who like their comedy to actually be funny. Together we make a powerful demographic, but not powerful enough to stop boring poo poo like this and bad lip reading.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Can we trade back for Tony now?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pastry Mistakes posted:

So I guess I can just ignore the prometheus interviews/dialogue?

Engineers did NOT create Humanity or the Xenomorph

I thought this was where he was headed. Actually, credit to Xenomorph because he was saying this a long time ago and I was one of the people calling it bullshit. There's really nothing we're shown in Prometheus or Covenant that proves any of the theories that the characters are throwing around. I love that this is a series where you can't just automatically assume that exposition dialogue is accurate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Covok posted:

Here is my advice from experience. AVP Classic is okay, but it hasn't aged too well. Also, facehuggers are super insta-kill.

AVP 2 is the best of the three but the studio who made it went under so its hard as gently caress to get. Which sucks since it really does have the best human campaign of all three. The expansion pack wasn't too hot, though.

AVP 2010 is good in its own way. It's not a stand-out modern fps, but its serviceable. You'll really be playing it for the Alien and Predator campaigns which benefit greatly from the increased graphical fidelity. It feels much more satisfying to rip someone's head off as a trophy as the Predator in glorious 1080p. Ditto on being the Alien.

I'm about the same on this.

AvP Classic is reeeeaaaal good but very dated. Certain aspects of it like the sound and the lighting basically hold up even today, but it's a very simple game. Playing as the marine is legit terrifying at points and playing as the Alien is truly unique. Fisheye cam vision, you move INSANELY fast, and can run up walls/anywhere around the level geometry at will, but everything kills you very easily. The Predator is very powerful but basically feels like playing DOOM after entering the IDKFA cheat code. But the Alien can do crazy stuff like just stick to the side of an archway and wait for folks to walk by after making some noise and then just fall on them. Instead of power ups you regain life by attacking enemies after they're dead (you're supposed to be eating them but this is an old game). The "horde mode" or "gunfight" mode that is standard in many FPS today wherein a few players cooperative to fight an endless series of enemy waves was first done in this game.

AvP2 is awesome. The actual story is pretty dumb and is basically typical lowest tier EU comic material (surprise the guy who's a huge rear end in a top hat and wears a black labcoat instead of a white one is evil) but the actual levels are great. I really enjoyed all three campaigns on this one but the marine one is the best. One cool thing that was done in this game is that when you play as the Alien you start out as a facehugger and have to sneak around a bit, then after you corner someone the next level starts with you as a crawler eating your way out of someone's chest and then sneaking around a bit more to find a small animal to eat, after which you are finally the adult Alien. The Predator is interesting in that he is ridiculously powerful and can even basically heal himself and recharge his energy for healing/etc. at will, but all that more powerful stuff makes a lot of noise or is super flashy and noticeable. If it makes a difference, the game's sound effects are weirdly weak. AvP Classic and many other games sample the pulse rifle/etc. sounds directly from their respective movies but this one....didn't for some reason. :wtc: But either way this game is real good, I can't believe people haven't sorted out the rights to get it on Steam or GOG since the multiplayer was really addictive and the variety of modes would probably find an audience even today. It took into account how much sound/different vision modes are what make the three characters unique so a lot of the missions have areas where you can attack/activate stuff to screw with the lighting. There was also a mode where it's like one Alien player against many Marine players but whenever a Marine is killed the player becomes an additional Alien on the other side. Small group modes where one person is a Facehugger that has to grow into a full Alien and kill people in time, it was awesome.

AvP2010 is worth getting because it's often on sale on Steam, but I don't think it's worth paying much more than like $5 for it (and this is from someone who got the limited edition when it came out, I still have the facehugger <3 ). The campaigns are cool but very very very very short. The multiplayer is also not very fun - it's extremely poorly balanced and thought out, and on top of that is lacking a lot of the cool animations and weapon behavior of the campaign versions of the same stuff. But it's what the game was mostly built around, so the overall execution isn't what it could have been. I wish this game got made a few years later when having a strong single player game was considered a good thing again.

I forget if it was AvP Classic or AvP2 but in one of them you could play as a synthetic in the multiplayer which meant that you could lose a limb and continue fighting and there was one handed/hand+mouth utilizing reload animations for all the weapons to take that into account. :black101:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Can we trade back for Tony now?

lol if you think a Tony Scott directed movie wouldn't be any more polarizing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Clipperton posted:

Actually y'all are real wrong and Gibson's Alien 3 script rules:

The script also did the aliens can infect from spores thing, something even Ridley had to copy.'

I remember played avp1 horde mode on gamespy. avp2 was a tight single player game, with paths from all 3 sides crossing paths at a few parts..

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 23, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The best Aliens videogame is the side scrolling capcom beat em up

not

even

kidding

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

lol if you think a Tony Scott directed movie wouldn't be any more polarizing.

Yeah I was about to say, the guy directed Domino.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'd rather watch the new A-Team than this movie again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The A-Team 2010 is great.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I thought this was where he was headed. Actually, credit to Xenomorph because he was saying this a long time ago and I was one of the people calling it bullshit. There's really nothing we're shown in Prometheus or Covenant that proves any of the theories that the characters are throwing around. I love that this is a series where you can't just automatically assume that exposition dialogue is accurate.

We all have headcanon about how certain elements of the story have been played out so far. Many take director commentary to hold truths, certain deleted scenes have been restored to sacrosanct status, hell, alternate cuts of movies that actually redeem trash. I've been trying to logically integrate a lot of the bullshit Prometheus pumped out with some its schlocky writing (DNA match :downswords:) & interviews from Scott about engineer Jesus and what have you, and honestly it's just maddening.

I've always wanted the xenomorph to be cosmically ancient and unknowable, and having the engineers have nothing to do with their creation is great. I'm also totally fine with several races being engineered, including the so called engineers, from an higher species (and then those species begin to engineer poo poo ad nauseum). What I'm not cool with though is how Prmetheus and Covenant are kind of a total poo poo show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've always wanted the Xenomorph to just look great and be menacing, so I guess I win.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Hell yeah A-Team 2010!

I dislike this film the more I think about it despite really wanting to like it. It just so painfully borrows/steals from the first Alien, then Aliens, then back to Alien, then Alien 3 shows up for awhile, then Prometheus barges in ruins everything, and then it's back to Aliens for the finale.

At this point I hate myself for even paying to see these films, I hate my inner nerd inertia. I don't want to know anything else about the alien mythos. I like them being uncaring space monsters with nothing known about where they came from that serve as a thematic warning to the uncaring void of space. But really I hate whatever it is Scott wants to tell us about them. In essence it ruins what the first film was about: something entirely non-human, non-Terran. Alien.

Ah well. I still might have stomached this had it not ended so predictably and annoyingly. And maybe also if Scott's obvious misanthropic streak was better kept in check.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

What is so hard to understand about this scene. Its like a paternity test, and the test is a match.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress. These are the new Star Wars prequels. My goddness. And I mean that in regards to both sides.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Covok posted:

Pretty sure I still have my old copy of AVP2 (or actually AVP gold) in a box in the closet, but last I heard, it was a struggle getting it to run on newer OS. I really thought that game was great, but it doesn't sound like I will have much luck getting it to run on my Win7 x64 machine now. I guess I'll give the 2010 version a whirl.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

See, that's the thing, because the little chunks of "why" presented in Covenant are honestly loving with one of the big things I like about Ripley's story. I'm much more fond of the idea that a crew of space truckers just bumblefucked into something horrible because the universe is a cold and uncaring place full of horrible things, than of the idea that the Xenomorphs were part of some grand design by a robot that wanted to be God.

Not that the latter idea isn't loving awesome on its own- I feel like Ridley Scott's paying off a lot of themes he started playing around with in Blade Runner with these movies- I'm just not sure that it gels particularly well with the earlier Alien movies.

There was always more to the story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

there's a youtube channel that did a few takedowns of this dumb series and i wish there was someone that did em for every one of them (like "everything wrong with everything wrong with [insert movie]". i wanted to take a crack at it but i'm too lazy.

Toady posted:

There was always more to the story.

it's true. why did the company misspell "ensure". perhaps this mystery will be solved as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thank god.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not even totally directed towards you. I'm just bored as gently caress about the standard Alien series opinions. "FIRST TWO GOOD. REST BAD." I GET IT! J

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

What is so hard to understand about this scene. Its like a paternity test, and the test is a match.

It's not hard to understand.

Is just loving retarded.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Not even totally directed towards you. I'm just bored as gently caress about the standard Alien series opinions. "FIRST TWO GOOD. REST BAD." I GET IT! J

this has nothing to do with what i said. have you ever actually watched a everything wrong with video before? they're insanely bad.

also here's one of the takedowns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ti3chBx2Pc

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Pastry Mistakes posted:

It's not hard to understand.

Is just loving retarded.

What's wrong with it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

this has nothing to do with what i said. have you ever actually watched a everything wrong with video before? they're insanely bad.

also here's one of the takedowns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ti3chBx2Pc

Oh okay, my bad. I thought you were talking about the Alien series.

yes, Cinema sins is the worst youtube channel next to Leafyishere.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

What's wrong with it?

our dna wouldn't match.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

our dna wouldn't match.

People choose to interpret it in a way that makes no sense, but of course then it makes no sense. This attitude is what gives rise to Cinema Sins, etc. But the interpretation that makes sense is right there: Its visualized like a paternity test, and the test is a match. Because the Engineer DNA was an antecedent to human DNA, as implied by the opening scene. The point of the scene is Shaw discovering her theories are at least partially correct.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They made a or some good xpacs for avp2. I cant remember if they only did one xpac.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 23, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish there were more interactions with engineers i think they're cool.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Groovelord Neato posted:

our dna wouldn't match.

We share 99% of the same genes with chimps so if another race of humans Engineered us out of their own DNA then yeah we sure would??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's a youtube channel that did a few takedowns of this dumb series and i wish there was someone that did em for every one of them (like "everything wrong with everything wrong with [insert movie]". i wanted to take a crack at it but i'm too lazy.

it's true. why did the company misspell "ensure". perhaps this mystery will be solved as well.

Ash was supposed to stop by planet Allstate on his way home and get the Organism a reasonable rate on life insurance.