Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

5. The Void (2016)

Just watched this tonight, great great stuff! Very tense and well done, and also fun in it's morbid thrills and effects work. I've been a big fan of all the comedy horror stuff these guys have done with Astron 6, and these guys pulled off a serious horror film with quite some success too. What can't they do? Good times, cool flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
7. Viral

A fun movie about parasitic worms that turn people into blind zombies that hunt by sound. Two sisters, after their town is quarantined, must survive the outbreak without being turned themselves.

A neat part was that the worms were rocking all over the planet, so it wasn't just one little town that was boned. Viral was decently acted, too, even if there wasn't a lot of bloody worm zombie murders. You still got the sense that this was real bad news, but not by being shown how brutal the zombies were. There was an emphasis on people feeling the worms "speak" to them, on wanting their host to injure and kill others. It was more show than tell that this plague was bad news.

People weren't all that stupid, either. I felt they were more realistic than most zombie movie characters, which was a point in the movie's favor. Viral is worth watching and available on Netflix.

7.5/10

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
14. Demons 2 (1986) Shudder

I saw this a few days but forgot to list it here. In a lot of ways it retreads the same exact ground as the first film. Instead of being in a movie theater, it takes place in an apartment complex, but the plot is almost identical. I know I'm probably late to this party considering how much people talk about Bava in the other thread, but I really enjoyed Demons 2. It sort of revels in what it is more than the first movie, leaning into the charmingly bad acting and gremlin-puppet action. The confusing inclusion of the group of oiled body builders just adds to the bizarre 80s fever dream aspect of it. If I had to pick one of the two to recomend I'd go with this one. 5 out of 5 puppet flops. I mean how can you not like this guy:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You probably already know this, but just to be clear, there's two different Bavas, a father and a son. Mario Bava is the godfather of Italian horror, the master. Lamberto Bava, who did the Demons films, is his son and also a solid director in his own right, just not on the same level as the OG Bava.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
12. The Fog (1980) dir. John Carpenter

A Halloween reunion! Ghost slasher!

Had I known this was Carpenter's immediate follow-up to Halloween, I would have watched it years sooner. Carpenter/Hill write together again; Jamie Lee Curtis and Nancy Kyes (:swoon:) return; Tom Atkins(!) is introduced (and would return for Halloween III) as another literal reference to Nick Castle (who played Michael in Halloween); Adrienne Barbeau starts in her first movie role. It's all great. It's a shame he didn't get Donald Pleasance in somehow.

My first impression was "Wow, John Carpenter got a big budget and a studio and put it to good use!". And I was wrong. This looks like a studio picture, it looks big budget, but it turns out this thing only cost a little over $1 Mil. That's insane. This movie is beautiful: Carpenter still has his eye from Halloween but decided to use more colors, more trick lighting, and more special effects, more wide-angle landscape shots of the coastal town.

The story is also larger than Halloween, and it's oddly King-ish: pirate/sailor ghosts invade a small coastal town to fulfill a curse begat by the 100 year anniversary of a local legend. Higher stakes, more action, more style.

It's not flawless. There's some weird stuff with the characters--like how Jamie Lee's character jump into bed with Atkins's character after a car ride, no one seems to notice the missing babysitter, etc. But the goods completely overshadow the flaws.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

13. The Devils (1971) dir. Ken Russell

This will cure you of any nun-fetish you might have.

I had seen this movie years ago, but only really remembered the first act. I've barely dipped my toes into Ken Russell's filmography, but I'd say this is his best movie, though I enjoy Lair of the White Worm more. This one lacks the demented joy of the latter, and has a dark, sinister tone throughout it's many depictions of manic depravity.

The plot is pretty bare--a handsome lecherous priest becomes the unspoken ruler of the French town Loudun, whose walls separate it from rest of the world, and he causes lust in a local nunnery. Meanwhile, a Cardinal tries to manipulate Louis XIII to continue invading the country--except for Loudun. The cardinal then decides to combat the priest by accusing him of the work of Satan and possessing the local nunnery.

The plot is simple, but the movie is dense with philosophical arguments/debates on what defines lust, pleasure, sin in the eyes of God, and what that actually matters. In every way, this movie can be described as 'blasphemous'. It aims to offend and make you question ideas of faith, God, holiness, and what defines 'evil'. Not much humor.

Also, lots of violent sexual imagery. This film certainly qualifies as nunsploitation, despite it being an artistic achievement in that genre. I've seen an edited version of Joe D'Amato's Images In A Convent, which was heavily inspired by Ken Rusell's film, as I'm sure countless others have.

Still, the movie is fascinating, it's incredibly well filmed, and it certainly imparted complex emotions in me. It is definitely creepy, to say the least.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

14. The Church (1989) dir. Michele Saovi

:aaaaa:Holy poo poo:aaaaa:

Basically Demons but in a church. This movie reaches insanity about 30 minutes in and just keeps going. I don't even want to talk about plot, because it's just better to watch and see what happens.

It creeped me out, it made me feel light headed, it surprised me a few times, shocked me (I was not expecting that decapitation in the beggening!). Just an excellent viewing experience.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd argue that The Fog is definitely Carpenter's best looking film, even more so than Halloween. I'm very partial to that setting though, I love the first half of the movie where a lot of it takes place during the day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'd argue that The Fog is definitely Carpenter's best looking film, even more so than Halloween. I'm very partial to that setting though, I love the first half of the movie where a lot of it takes place during the day.

I think you're right, though you know my gaps in Carpenter films. There are so many shots I would hang on my wall if I could frame animated shots, the daytime walk to the lighthouse being a major highlight. There's lots of good work with reflective surfaces as well.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

8. The Stuff

Michael Moriarty is the poo poo, as was this movie. A mysterious foodstuff is being sold, turning people into...Something else. It's a bit of a comedy, too, but it's very solid. If you've never seen The Stuff, go watch the poo poo out of it.

9/10.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You probably already know this,

Nope! well not really, I read it after I posted, but still. I'm pretty new to Italian horror still.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Basebf555 posted:

You probably already know this, but just to be clear, there's two different Bavas, a father and a son. Mario Bava is the godfather of Italian horror, the master. Lamberto Bava, who did the Demons films, is his son and also a solid director in his own right, just not on the same level as the OG Bava.

Dario Argento is the master if we have to pick one, at least for me. Suspiria has got to be the most well known and loved Italian horror movie. And personally speaking, for me nobody comes close.

6. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

This is one hell of a scary movie. I think it came up recently whether we'd consider Lynch movies horror, this one is considered to be on imdb, but yeah his movies are often some of the most tense and terrifying around. At least at times. This one in particular is relentless with the tension and horror, I almost have to mentally tune out after a while, or take a break. Lynch is one of my top fav directors, but this one I don't revisit too often. Really really well done, potent stuff, great movie, and a real horror show. Plus setting it in American suburbia with the hints of innocence and hope lulls you in, so you're really into it all when things become nightmarish. And they do quite often here. Quite a movie.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 21, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
7. Horror Express - It's been great getting to watch all of these Cushing/Lee flicks for the first time. Horror Express did not disappoint and it's easy to see why it's a Horror Thread favorite. The premise of a frozen missing link wreaking havoc on a train was wonderfully executed in large part to the movie diving headfirst into the concept. I really liked the effects done on the creature's eyes as well as it's victims. The Rasputin knock off character wasn't good for much more than chuckles when the movie first began, but once he becomes a part of the chaos his character really picked up in a very interesting way. Then out of nowhere, Telly Savalas shows up and everyone watching the movie with me just got entranced by his coat scene chewing. What an amazing bit part.

Been a good month of movies for me so far and this one was certainly a highlight. A must see for Cushing/Lee fans, horror fans, or fans of train movies.

4/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Telly Salavas out of nowhere is one of the greatest things about Horror Express. One of, there are many great things about Horror Express.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Guess I know what I'm watching,then

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

14. Ravenous - Antonia Bird, 1999 (rewatch)

There's just nothing else quite like Ravenous. I loved it the first time I saw it (on VHS back in 1999), and I've loved it every time I've watched it since. It's beautifully shot, filled with gritty texture and gorgeous scenery. The casting is all around excellent, and the score is one of most memorable in all of horror. It's a darkly humorous, unassuming, gritty little movie that just needs to exist. I'm really glad it does.

/ 5

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
With the month closing in fast on me I've made today a marathon day.

8. The Mummy (1959) - This might be one of my favorite Hammer flicks. It's tough when they have all been great so far, but I really enjoyed the story of this one. It felt grandiose in scale with the mummy's curse tied to a tragic love backstory and a morality tale about punishing upper class British folks for their disrespect of Egyptian culture. The flashbacks had some great set design along with the rest of the movie. That swamp was beautiful. George Pastell was great as the human antagonist of the story, a native Egyptian controlling the Mummy and sending it out on a quest for revenge.

3.5/5

9. Brides of Dracula - Another solid Terence Fisher movie. He really knew how to make beautiful gothic horror movies. Like the Mummy (and well every Hammer flick I've seen so far) the set dressing and lighting was superb. I really liked the balcony shots of Marianne's room overlooking the Baron's. I was surprised that Lee didn't show up given the title, but the movie compensated by relying more on Cushing and it was a blast. However, the Baron was not a great vampire villain which made the final battle a little underwhelming. The last shot of the windmill burning (as Spatulater bro! mentions in his letterboxd review) was amazing.

3/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

9. Convergence

I'm not really sure how to describe this movie. A cop is caught in an explosion and wakes up in a mysterious hospital, where he's not allowed to leave. His captain is there, urging him to stick around, but the nurse is really weird, a paramedic is up to something creepy, and there are other forces at play...

This movie was weird. Not necessarily in a good way, either. The mystery and framing device seemed a little forced, and there's this battle between two factions about if they're true believers or not, with one side looking to gather Grace, with the other side wanting to do something. I'm not really sure.

I don't usually fall asleep during movies, but this one put me down. I watched it with my wife and asked her what happened after I started snoozing, and she didn't really know. I don't know if it's fair to rate it after falling asleep, but 4/10.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
21.Alien: Covenant

Well, I wasn't planning on counting this but it ended up being much more of a straight-up horror movie than I was expecting. It doesn't straddle the fence like Prometheus did, Covenant dives right into horror in ways that the series never had before. Fassbender's David is has now made the full transition from modern Prometheus all the way to Cushing's scheming, manipulative Frankenstein.

The realization that yes, David can now look you dead in the eye and lie about something of life or death importance is pretty terrifying. "It's perfectly safe". Sure, David, I totally trust you.

There's some truly haunting imagery here, just as there was in Prometheus, and the series seems to be shaping up as on of the most comprehensive pieces of adult science fiction in film history. This film even more so than Prometheus has a little something for all fans of the series, and even the more traditional slasher portions are well done and extremely violent and gory.

I'm not sure Covenant is better than Prometheus, but its different enough that the two need not be directly compared. There's actual progression here that I really appreciate for such a long standing series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
13. Alien Covenant Well I have to say I didn't really have any real high expectations for this after the previous film was pretty bland. Gotta say I really enjoyed this a lot. Ridley Scott definitely still has it as a director. It's hard to discuss this without spoiling it but I thought it was probably as good as the first two Alien films. However, it was just really really different in tone. Super gory as well.so that was great, plus some great set design as well.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

15. The Blackcoat's Daughter - Oz Perkins, 2015

A slow-burner, impeccably paced and thoroughly satisfying. The cardinal sin of mysterious plots is that the movie fails to make us give a poo poo about figuring it out. Not so here. It's really engrossing stuff. The film performs a perfect balancing act, feeding us clues and keeping us at just the right distance. And all throughout is a feeling of dread, encroaching violence and unseen horror. It's an unsettling, enthralling movie that I'm anxious to revisit.

/ 5

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

2 - Tremors II: Aftershocks

A Mexican oil company is having trouble with Graboids on the planned site of their new refinery. They recruit Earl Bassett, the washed-up hero of the initial outbreak, as an expert monster hunter, giving him a new chance at fame and fortune. Things go smoothly for Earl and his new sidekick Grady Hoover at first, but once the Graboids mutate, all of their expertise goes out the window. Can they survive this new breed of monster?

I guess the theme for me this month is "completely unnecessary sequels". Giving the Graboids a Xenomorph-like life cycle is the definition of unnecessary, but I suppose if you're going to make a sequel to Tremors, you have to up the stakes somehow. The script is significantly weaker than the first film, with some plain baffling character beats (a grown man who's never heard of rock/scissors/paper among them) and a premise that's a very contrived way of bringing some characters from the first film into a similar situation. There's really no reason a corporation would hire some washed up redneck to deal with weirdo monsters that are of scientific and paleontological significance to pretty much everyone in the world instead of like, the government. It lacks the organic feeling of the first one, where the lonely backwards town of Perfection felt like a completely plausible isolated locale for a handful of misfits to deal with these terrifying monsters. This movie tries to recreate the sense of discovery of the first film by giving the Graboids a new form, and even goes out of its way to show that if you're well-equipped and know their habits, the classic Graboids would be far too easy to deal with, but it just sort of feels absurd. I was especially annoyed by the third act reveal that the bipedal mini-graboids can reproduce asexually Gremlins-style if they get access to any kind of food. That just felt like an unnecessary "monstery" trait to pile onto what used to be just a weird prehistoric creature man doesn't know how to deal with. The movie is also seriously lacking in body count, with only 3 on-screen deaths, none of them central characters.

Still, this movie has likeable enough characters(despite an intensely felt lack of Kevin Bacon), a persistent sense of fun and adventure, and some really fun creature effects. Aside from a couple of shots of some really terrible 90s CG, the monsters are a joy to see on screen, with all their weird moving parts and icky slimy tongues. And the movie's endless monster gore-splosions are satisfying in a visceral way that only real, physical goo can ever be. And it's fun to see a few returning faces and see what those characters are up to after all these years.

One last thing, this prop really pisses me off:

The idea of an arcade cabinet based on the events of the first film that Earl got no royalties from is a perfect character beat to emphasize the "had 15 minutes of fame and is now washed up" thing, and a hilarious worldbuilding detail, but that thing is painted like a lovely carnival stand. The production couldn't spring for a poster painter or a video game magazine cover artist? A properly done up fake Graboid cabinet would be an all-time classic prop if it didn't look so lovely. PS, we never see the actual game, but I choose to believe it's this.

Final verdict:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
10. Pieces - What a hilarious movie. From the chainsaw being at crotch level every time it's held to the goofy characters and dialogue this movie was a joy. My buddy and I couldn't stop laughing at almost every character interaction.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86_YT4oRG8

Some of the effects were good and the slow motion waterbed killing was cool, but some of the cheaper effects were just too hilarious to not laugh at (looking at you prop arm flying off). The movie is a straightforward slasher with a killer stalking college girls to complete his puzzle. It chucks suspects at you left and right and there's shot where they compile a bunch of the suspects into one shot that's great. The groundskeeper stole the show in his scenes. Kung-fu professor was also a bizarre but scene.

It's a fun sloppy movie and I'm surprised at how well it all works, flaws and all.

2.5/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express, 8. The Mummy, 9. Brides of Dracula

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

10. Pieces - What a hilarious movie. From the chainsaw being at crotch level every time it's held to the goofy characters and dialogue this movie was a joy. My buddy and I couldn't stop laughing at almost every character interaction.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86_YT4oRG8

Some of the effects were good and the slow motion waterbed killing was cool, but some of the cheaper effects were just too hilarious to not laugh at (looking at you prop arm flying off). The movie is a straightforward slasher with a killer stalking college girls to complete his puzzle. It chucks suspects at you left and right and there's shot where they compile a bunch of the suspects into one shot that's great. The groundskeeper stole the show in his scenes. Kung-fu professor was also a bizarre but scene.

It's a fun sloppy movie and I'm surprised at how well it all works, flaws and all.

2.5/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express, 8. The Mummy, 9. Brides of Dracula

You've had quite a month. That lineup is ridiculous.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You've had quite a month. That lineup is ridiculous.

And I still have Tombs of the Blind Dead, The Vampire Lovers, and A Lizard in a Woman's Skin to go!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
15. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) dir. David Lynch

I'm not going to go into detail about this, because it's exhausting.

I went back and forth on whether or not this actually counts, and in the end I think it does. I was going to include a "Bonus" point for any Lynch films chosen (I firmly believe that each of them count as horror except for The Straight Story, and even that's arguable) in honor of the new season of Twin Peaks that came out recently. I watched this movie with two friends, both female, who love Twin Peaks but do not want to watch David Lynch movies beyond that (one of them listened to a podcast where the hosts went through each movie, and it's turned her off of them; it's been an uphill battle ever since with her).

Several other things to denote: 1) David Lynch is probably my favorite director. Some people consider him artistic masturbation, some people consider him up his own rear end, etc. I've heard all the complaints. I think he is the best example of how films are "art", how his stories only work in the context of the medium while also taking full advantage of it and throwing away all the standard rules. And he's just a neat guy. 2) Twin Peaks is probably my favorite TV show. I know it has been surpassed by some other show, but there hasn't been a show that filled me with so many emotions/feelings/thoughts/ideas/creative energy as much as my first run through of Twin Peaks. 3) Fire Walk With Me is probably my least favorite David Lynch film.

I haven't seen it in years, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. It's a mess of a film, especially the first third, but the chaos is more balanced than it seems. It's dense, it holds nothing back, and it's dreadful. I believe that Twin Peaks really hurt Lynch in the long run, and as soon as Coop entered The Black Lodge in the series finale so with him went Lynch's youthful enthusiasm. His baby was strangled and he's a heartbroken father.

I appreciate the meditation on abuse, it's cyclical nature, and the mind's way of repressing the horrible truth of our situations. It's painful to watch Laura's final days. Her death is inevitable, to the viewer, but on a personal level she does not have a sustainable life. It is not fair.

There's an important scene that summarizes the tragedy of the film:

Cooper: Lately I've been filled with the knowledge that the killer will strike again. But because it is just a feeling, I am powerless to stop it. One more thing, Albert. When the next murder happens, you will help me solve it.
Albert: Let's test it for the record. Will the next victim be a man or a woman?
Cooper: A woman.
Albert: All right. What color hair will she have?
Cooper: Blonde.
Albert: Tell me some other things about her.
Cooper: She's in high school. She is sexually active. She is using drugs. She's crying out for help.
Albert: Well drat, Cooper, that really narrows it down. You're talking about half the high school girls in America!

And it's true.

Twin Peaks will leave behind a legacy, especially now that we're in the thralls of the 3rd season the people have wanted for 26 years. It is most likely David Lynch's swan song, which is fitting on many different levels. But Fire Walk With Me is an interesting part of Lynch's career, because he took the quirky town of Twin Peaks, exposed the pain and suffering that can (and does) occur in any town, and shows the humanity and personal tragedy of it's characters, and makes the fear and pain most relate-able. Lynch is no stranger to the Buddhist concept that all Life is suffering. And yet, there is a release--through friends, family, good coffee, nature, nice diners...Our personal demons make way to the glimmering wings of guardian angels. There's always room for hope.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:/5

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

15. Rabid (1977) - This is a weird one. It plays out like kind of a pseudo-sequel to Shivers. Or maybe an extended re-cut. Or something. It doesn't give you as complete an explanation of what's going on so it's not immediately obvious how things are going to play out, but the pandemic in this version spreads into the city more quickly so we see more of society dealing with it instead of watching it take individual characters apart and building up to an unstoppable force as in Shivers. It feels like a much more restrained disaster despite moving more quickly into a major population center. We're told the thing is highly infectious, but people also get one bite off before going into a coma and dying so there's no apocalyptic swell to the situation, and most of what we see in the movie is isolated individuals attacking. There's an explicit Typhoid Mary reference in a radio broadcast at some point which makes it feel like this is supposed to be a more personal sort of catastrophe, but that clashes strongly with the astonishingly bland characters. Most of the cast in Shivers had something interesting or memorable going on, and absolutely nobody in this does.

It feels like Cronenberg hadn't quite worked out whatever pushed him to write Shivers, but didn't actually have any more ideas for it. Definitely the weakest film I've seen from him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

3 - Army of Darkness

Do I really need to put a summary here? You know what this movie is, it was on tv all the time for 12 years.

I was going to continue my streak of unnecessary sequels by watching a Jaws sequel, but the only one Netflix has is Jaws: The Revenge, so gently caress that. I decided instead to watch a good sequel, and it'd been a while since I watched this anyway. This film is always a joy. Raimi does a lot with a limited number of sets, props and extras, and Bruce Campbell chews scenery like he's starving to death. It really hit me how much this movie is structured like a Mad Max movie this go-round. A badass stranger with a shotgun comes to a place beset by troubles he doesn't care about and gets roped into their struggle, and despite being a selfish a-hole he ends up learning to care and becomes a hero. There's even an awesome souped-up car!

The skeleton shenanigans are the highlight of this film, obviously, but I love all the other effects all over the film. The blasts of gore, the fun sets, the neat look of Ash's mecha-gauntlet, the makeup on the few non-skeletal deadites... the only thing in this movie that isn't timeless are the rear screen projection effects, which are pretty obvious in HD. If only it'd been made like 4 years later... Still, you have to admire how much magic and adventure is crammed in a movie that mostly uses special effect techniques from the 60s.

A lot of people consider this movie a step down from Evil Dead 2, and some would even go as far to call it a big step down, but I loving love this film, and it's my favorite of the Evil Dead trilogy. It's got a sense of adventure, a strong character arc, some amazing gags, Errol Flynn style swashbuckling, 3 stooges routines performed by skeletons, a blood geyser... what more could you possibly ask for? Well, maybe you could wish they'd actually made that post-apocalyptic 4th film teased in the alternate ending...

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 25, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

16. The Brood (1979) - Well that was bleak. This feels like a major shift from Shivers and Rabid into the style that I've always associated with Cronenberg based on his later work. There's a lot of horror that works by taking metaphor and making it literal; he goes a step past that and makes it not just real but organic. Not something I would have appreciated when he first started working (only partially because I wasn't alive), but it's really striking in comparison to recent stuff like The Babadook or Lights Out and makes most other body horror feel kind of aimless. Obviously groundbreaking, but I still don't love it half as much as Videodrome. I probably should not have started my Cronenberg experience with Videodrome. Still, this easily joins Antichrist, Audition, and Possession on the list of first date ideas.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
11. Tombs of the Blind Dead - Unbelievably pretty movie. The horse chases through the fields, the various shots of the Berzano, and the pulsing red light had me hooked. The zombie knights were an interesting twist on typical the standard zombie story. It was a little slow at times but even those times usually offered something visually. The soundtrack and visuals made for an extremely creepy atmosphere. The ending train sequence made for a great finale, the tension building up to it had me on edge.

4/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express, 8. The Mummy, 9. Brides of Dracula, 10. Pieces

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
22.Get Out

This was a really tight film, everything about it is just very well crafted. Maybe it didn't blow me away, but its just really solid in every area, and Peele obviously knows the genre well enough to effectively play with our expectations. He clearly knew that the audience would be getting Stepford Wives vibes from the first half of the film, and he uses that to deliver a pretty crazy twist that, like all great twists, should be obvious in retrospect.

I think my favorite little joke along those lines is an early scene where Chris goes out in the middle of the night for a smoke, and the creepy groundskeeper just runs full speed right at him with this intense look on his face. Then he veers off at the very last second and Chris is left there thinking "what the gently caress was that!". Given everything that's gone on so far it's easy to assume that these are robots, but once you find out the truth you realize that no, actually that was just the grandfather doing his weird grandpa laps around the house to stay fit.

Or how the girlfriend has a line at the beginning about her father, something like "does he come with an off switch?!?", that really leads you down that path so that you're not expecting what's actually going on. Just very, very clever and there's probably ten other moments that would jump out at me on a rewatch that I missed the first time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

22.Get Out

This was a really tight film, everything about it is just very well crafted. Maybe it didn't blow me away, but its just really solid in every area, and Peele obviously knows the genre well enough to effectively play with our expectations. He clearly knew that the audience would be getting Stepford Wives vibes from the first half of the film, and he uses that to deliver a pretty crazy twist that, like all great twists, should be obvious in retrospect.

Glad you finally got around to it!

There are 6 days left in the challenge, and it's a three day weekend for the USA goons! Hopefully everyone gets to watch a bunch of horror movies and end the challenge on a good note. (I didn't think about the challenge ending near Memorial day, that's a pretty sweet bonus.)

:siren:Goons who have completed the 13 film challenge (so far):
Basebf555
Drunkboxer
Hollismason
Irony.or.Death
Spatulater bro!

Other goons, keep it up! Make a list of other movies you want to watch, ask for wild cards, steal a movie from another goon. If you want to make a list of what you've watched so far, that's fine. We'll do a full tally on June 1st and we can try and pick the best movie or a top 3 of what we've seen.

Tentative list of what I want/need to watch/finish:

Dead & Buried
Fender Bender (started, not finished)
Your Vice Is A Locked Room and I Have the Key (started, not finished)
The Changeling
Whistle and I'll Come To You
Curtains
Ravenous
Don't Breathe
The Shallows
Demons 2
Child's Play
MAY

I want a zombie movie.

So far I've watched:

1. The Prowler, 2. Raw, 3. The Howling, 4. Opera, 5. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie, 6. Q The Winged Serpent, 7. Fascination, 8. The Void, 9. Maniac Cop, 10. The Eyes of My Mother, 11. Street Trash, 12. The Fog, 13. The Devils, 14. The Church, 15. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

It's been a good run. I'm pretty jealous of a few challenger lists, though.

Happy viewing, guys!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My plan for the home stretch: Phantom of the Opera (1945), The Bloodstained Shadow, and Fright Night

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

My plan for the home stretch: Phantom of the Opera (1945), The Bloodstained Shadow, and Fright Night

Which Fright Night?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Which Fright Night?

Original. I always forget there's a remake.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I want a zombie movie.

City of the Living Dead!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Original. I always forget there's a remake.

Good call. The remake was fun and way better than expected, especially David Tenant. I saw it in theaters and I have no desire to watch it again.

MacheteZombie posted:

City of the Living Dead!

Plot posted:

After a priest commits suicide, a ghastly horror is unleashed on the quaint New England town of Dunwich.

Hell yes, thank you!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Good call. The remake was fun and way better than expected, especially David Tenant. I saw it in theaters and I have no desire to watch it again.

Hell yes, thank you!

It's one of my favorite zombie flicks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
City of the Living Dead is so good, but for some reason it didn't click with me until the second viewing. Not sure why. It has some of the sickest(in a good way!and also a bad way) gore Fulci ever did, just physically revolting stuff that made me look away from the screen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

It's one of my favorite zombie flicks.

Basebf555 posted:

City of the Living Dead is so good, but for some reason it didn't click with me until the second viewing. Not sure why. It has some of the sickest(in a good way!and also a bad way) gore Fulci ever did, just physically revolting stuff that made me look away from the screen.

That's what I want. I'm pretty much over zombie films after falling in love with them as a teenager with The Evil Dead, Dead Alive (the best zombie movie), Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (original & remake), Night of the Creeps, Return of the Living Dead series, etc. They just became so lovely, and then they became ironic twists on literature or romantic interests. (Ugh.)

Though I admit I need to watch Zombi 2/Zombie (haven't seen it in yeeeears) and I've never seen Day of the Dead (for some reason the Shudder copy won't appear on my Amazon Prime).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Day of the Dead is one of my other favorite zombie flicks. I like it more than Dawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Franchescanado posted:

I want a zombie movie.

Saw you mention you haven't seen Day of the Dead. There's your zombie movie! I actually also put off seeing that one for some reason, saw it a few years ago. Not to hype it up, but it's one of the best, my favorite of the series.

^agreed, above post!

I'll also throw in Bio-Zombie, that's a fun HK movie.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 25, 2017

• Locked thread