Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Abandoned by Cacator, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
P1014769_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

P1014768_BW by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Oh God am I using too much of the borders? Please tell me if you think I need to knock it off... Happy for any other critique too, or not, if it's the wrong thread...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
any of those borders are too much

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

8th-snype posted:

any of those borders are too much

:(

Is it a borders in general thing, or just "art" borders?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think it's something like...

Actual white matte board around your printed photo: OK

White border on your basic atrocity Instagram post: dgaf it's IG

White border on your 'good' online pictures: no

.. Although, I have wondered about using it at times, as a way to get Flickr photos to display properly across both high- and low-PPI monitors. Basically, keeping the photo small enough that it won't blow up to near 100% magnification on retina displays and the like, but also making the image area larger than the bounds of an average HD monitor... Because somehow images on Flickr look softer if they don't exceed the size of the monitor along one axis or another when zoomed-in. Or at least that's how it is on my MacBook Air.

Right now I just ignore the existence of retina displays when exporting my full-size jpegs to Flickr.

(Also I like your first photo.)

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Hyperspace Mountain

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Went backpacking, saw trees, saw clouds, became sore.

untitled-5.jpg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Choicecut posted:

Hyperspace Mountain

Related...

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 23, 2017

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think it's something like...

Actual white matte board around your printed photo: OK

White border on your basic atrocity Instagram post: dgaf it's IG

White border on your 'good' online pictures: no

.. Although, I have wondered about using it at times, as a way to get Flickr photos to display properly across both high- and low-PPI monitors. Basically, keeping the photo small enough that it won't blow up to near 100% magnification on retina displays and the like, but also making the image area larger than the bounds of an average HD monitor... Because somehow images on Flickr look softer if they don't exceed the size of the monitor along one axis or another when zoomed-in. Or at least that's how it is on my MacBook Air.

Right now I just ignore the existence of retina displays when exporting my full-size jpegs to Flickr.

(Also I like your first photo.)

Gotcha, cheers man. Reckon I'll leave those ones up as a testament to progress... :P

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

p0stal b0b posted:

Borders are terrible unless you are scanning a wet print and have to include them. Never put art borders on a digital photo unless someone is paying you to do so.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Your photo should stand by itself. If you need a border to make it artsy/look better, then the photo probably isn't great.

Choicecut posted:

Hyperspace Mountain

I get what you are going for here, you gotta go all out on the minimalism though.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

p0stal b0b posted:

Putting borders around online digital pics is usually a weird self-fellation whereby the author is loudly proclaiming that they believe their photograph is "art."

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

RangerScum posted:

Putting borders around online digital pics is usually a weird self-fellation whereby the author is loudly proclaiming that they believe their photograph is "art."

What about when combined with a carefully crafted watermark?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Then it elevates into "high art".

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what if you have the film borders but then you also add sharp crisp white and then black border around that, just to set it off from the background?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
"we get it, u shoot film"

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

elgarbo posted:

borders make it art, watermarks make it art worth stealing

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

what if you have the film borders but then you also add sharp crisp white and then black border around that, just to set it off from the background?

I saw one recently where they had added 35mm film strip borders to the short edges of the image. I guess it's possible that they shot it with a half-frame camera but my heart tells me they didn't.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Thanks for the short but brutal education, chaps... :) I still love the look of old black & white film photos, but don't have nearly enough patience to use film for real.

Opinions on borders on printed & hung photos: same as above? I'll stop cluttering up the thread now, thanks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The frame you mount the image on is the border.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 24, 2017

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

p0stal b0b posted:

Opinions on borders on printed & hung photos: same as above? I'll stop cluttering up the thread now, thanks.

If you're hanging it up in your own house, you can do whatever you want.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
My opinion which no-one asked for is basically this: Film edge borders get lumped in with sepia toning, grunge brushes, duotoning and other effects as "easy ways to make a photo look like something it isn't."

I loving LOVE the look of Polaroid Type 55. That look tends to tie together a number of things: (usually) a shallow depth of field due to being shot on large format, rich black and white contrasts, a deliberate touch to the photograph due to the trouble of shooting it, and of course those off-the-hook edges. Now, shy of selling a kidney to buy out remaining Type 55 stock and waste it (or trust the nascent New55 project), there are things I can do to bring aspects of that work into my work. I can shoot fast glass, I can process for contrast, I can slow the gently caress down and think about what I'm shooting. But when I load up a PSD of someone's scanned Type 55 borders and slap it onto my photo, I cross a line in my head between "making my pictures contrasty/intense" and "making my photos look like something they are not."

And hell, I've been there. Go far enough back on my Flickr timeline, past the actual medium-formal film borders I flirted with briefly, and you'll find the fake stuff: the photoshopped dirt and tears, the edge effects, the fake light leaks. I did it, and then I stopped doing it. Partially because it's so easy to do that once I'd done it, I realized it adds no value. But mostly because that's not what I wanted to make.

If I was purely an aesthete, I'd say, sure, what the gently caress. Pixels have no truth, so I'll just make something that looks good. But I'm trying to do something a little more interesting (to me) with my photography. Not that I don't think that heavy editing is a fine and worthwhile thing: I think all of those Russian girls photoshopping themselves in long dresses hovering over lakes holding umbrellas and whatnot are doing some lovely work. I wish I knew how they were doing some of that. But it's not for me. At least not right now. And when I do edit something heavily, I do it to try and make it something new and interesting (to me), instead of making my photograph/whatever look like it's something it isn't.

Film borders look great, use them in film if you want. Sepia toning looks great, use it if you do the process. Digital photography can fake all of that easily. Do you want to do something that easy? If yes, great, do it and hang it up in your house and smile at it. If not, find something harder to do.

/rant

Edit: I might be able to boil it down to this for myself: Don't disappoint your audience. If you use a film edge and someone asks, "wow, you shot that on film?" and you shyly say no, they might be disappointed. If you give a poo poo about that, don't do it.

thetzar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 24, 2017

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

you're talking as if photography has the tiniest sliver of "authenticity" to it. you can slap film borders on all you want, you're just not gonna fool a lot of us

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I like taking pictures.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Went backpacking, saw trees, saw clouds, became sore.

untitled-5.jpg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

yeah I have some fog

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Got eaten the gently caress alive by mosquitos but got this shot I'm pretty proud of this weekend:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Straightening your horizon may not make this a more exciting image but you should do so anyways.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Dread Head posted:

Straightening your horizon may not make this a more exciting image but you should do so anyways.

Straightened up a bit. Thanks for pointing it out man.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
I find that my images are best bordered by the recycle bin.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Àrg!!

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

thetzar posted:

My opinion which no-one asked for is basically this: Film edge borders get lumped in with sepia toning, grunge brushes, duotoning and other effects as "easy ways to make a photo look like something it isn't."

I loving LOVE the look of Polaroid Type 55. That look tends to tie together a number of things: (usually) a shallow depth of field due to being shot on large format, rich black and white contrasts, a deliberate touch to the photograph due to the trouble of shooting it, and of course those off-the-hook edges. Now, shy of selling a kidney to buy out remaining Type 55 stock and waste it (or trust the nascent New55 project), there are things I can do to bring aspects of that work into my work. I can shoot fast glass, I can process for contrast, I can slow the gently caress down and think about what I'm shooting. But when I load up a PSD of someone's scanned Type 55 borders and slap it onto my photo, I cross a line in my head between "making my pictures contrasty/intense" and "making my photos look like something they are not."

And hell, I've been there. Go far enough back on my Flickr timeline, past the actual medium-formal film borders I flirted with briefly, and you'll find the fake stuff: the photoshopped dirt and tears, the edge effects, the fake light leaks. I did it, and then I stopped doing it. Partially because it's so easy to do that once I'd done it, I realized it adds no value. But mostly because that's not what I wanted to make.

If I was purely an aesthete, I'd say, sure, what the gently caress. Pixels have no truth, so I'll just make something that looks good. But I'm trying to do something a little more interesting (to me) with my photography. Not that I don't think that heavy editing is a fine and worthwhile thing: I think all of those Russian girls photoshopping themselves in long dresses hovering over lakes holding umbrellas and whatnot are doing some lovely work. I wish I knew how they were doing some of that. But it's not for me. At least not right now. And when I do edit something heavily, I do it to try and make it something new and interesting (to me), instead of making my photograph/whatever look like it's something it isn't.

Film borders look great, use them in film if you want. Sepia toning looks great, use it if you do the process. Digital photography can fake all of that easily. Do you want to do something that easy? If yes, great, do it and hang it up in your house and smile at it. If not, find something harder to do.

/rant

Edit: I might be able to boil it down to this for myself: Don't disappoint your audience. If you use a film edge and someone asks, "wow, you shot that on film?" and you shyly say no, they might be disappointed. If you give a poo poo about that, don't do it.

Thanks man, that's a pretty good explanation.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ansel autisms posted:

you're talking as if photography has the tiniest sliver of "authenticity" to it.

What do you mean by this? To me it seems a lot more authentic than say painting, where you can paint whatever the gently caress you like and it doesn't have to remotely match reality.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Stephansdom, in Vienna. Can you tell that I really like the roof of this cathedral?

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Spooky factory
by MerryMark, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

What do you mean by this? To me it seems a lot more authentic than say painting, where you can paint whatever the gently caress you like and it doesn't have to remotely match reality.

You can do the same with photos and Photoshop too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

At least in painting what the artist had applied to the canvas is what the viewer is to appreciate. There's no way to adjust a painting without applying paint/oil with a tool by the artist. Even in paintings which are initially done almost greyscale and then color is selectively applied as a glaze to certain areas, what you're seeing is the direct intention of the artist at the time of the painting; that is to say there's no way for me to paint a portrait in my style (garbage) and then select a filter to make it look like renaissance era artwork. With photoshop I can shoot a DSLR portrait and then sepia/add film borders/VSCO/etc to make it falsely evocative of something the shot is not.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

VelociBacon posted:

At least in painting what the artist had applied to the canvas is what the viewer is to appreciate. There's no way to adjust a painting without applying paint/oil with a tool by the artist. Even in paintings which are initially done almost greyscale and then color is selectively applied as a glaze to certain areas, what you're seeing is the direct intention of the artist at the time of the painting; that is to say there's no way for me to paint a portrait in my style (garbage) and then select a filter to make it look like renaissance era artwork. With photoshop I can shoot a DSLR portrait and then sepia/add film borders/VSCO/etc to make it falsely evocative of something the shot is not.

That's a bad comparison. Shooting with filters, physical or digital, adding borders, it's still the artist's intention.

But with the popularity of instagram today you risk more to be viewed as a lazy artist if you abuse them. That's why people recommend against them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you shoot with the intention of editing it in a specific way, thats one thing. Velocibacon is talking about taking a poo poo photo and trying to make it good with filters or borders.