Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

kikkelivelho posted:

Actually a federal Europe is probably the best way to keep Europe relevant on the global stage in the future. The fact that we still have a number of stubborn countries clinging to their national currencies is a massive problem for the "ever closer union" and it's incredibly shortsighted in the long run. The Euro has problems, but having every country in the union actually use it would immediately fix some of them.

The Euro has many problems actually, one of the main ones being that States under it must have the same economy to function. You cannot differentiate monetary and political spending, as seen with Greece, who desperately wanted to devalue their currency, but couldn't, because whats good for Greece is not good for Germany. To really fix the Euro, Nations would need to be subservient the European parliament, which would set major tax rates and policies. Greece would have to be the same country as Germany, just like U.S.A. After Macron there is now talks of a mandated budget and tax rate, which will impose on sovereignty. No states are willing to give up sovereignty, of fear they stop being nations.

This concept of a United States of Europe a concept has very very few supporters among citizens.The whole problem of the EU is the fact that it's on the one side a regulatory committee for shared goals like environment, trade and transport (which most citizens support and have no problem with) and the other is steadfastly trying to remove power from National States and place that in the EU (which few citizens wants, and thus oppose). Thus protesting the Euro and EU in general is not anti EU, but anti a U.S.E that seems to be forming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I think most countries can support more power be moved to the EU, as long as their national interest is forced upon the rest of the suckers in the club. Absolutely no country is willing to go federated if other countries priorities come first.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kikkelivelho posted:

Actually a federal Europe is probably the best way to keep Europe relevant on the global stage in the future. The fact that we still have a number of stubborn countries clinging to their national currencies is a massive problem for the "ever closer union" and it's incredibly shortsighted in the long run. The Euro has problems, but having every country in the union actually use it would immediately fix some of them.

Look at this wily Finn, trying to drag other Nordic countries into the Euro to make them feel less bad about their poor life choice. Heh.

(For real though, trying to harmonise monetary policy across economies as diverse as what you get in Europe is a terrible idea).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Germany does not want that either, because it would means many many billions of euros in transfers per year, like they'd have to shove like 3 billion euros at least to Finland every year to offset the problems of the euro, nevermind other places. The germans want the status quo and to retain it as long as possible no matter how it hurts other member countries, because their hurting helps their exports.

This whole thing is sick and cancerous at it's core. gently caress it. gently caress globalization while I am at it too.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Never trust a german. Merkel is just the new chancellor, instead of iron its money but same really

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

His Divine Shadow posted:

Germany does not want that either, because it would means many many billions of euros in transfers per year, like they'd have to shove like 3 billion euros at least to Finland every year to offset the problems of the euro, nevermind other places. The germans want the status quo and to retain it as long as possible no matter how it hurts other member countries, because their hurting helps their exports.

This whole thing is sick and cancerous at it's core. gently caress it. gently caress globalization while I am at it too.

I mean, on the one hand yeah. You can't have a unified currency without a unified economic policy and a central bank that actually works as a central bank. It won't work, as has been pointed out by fiscal issues in the Eurosone since... the Euro.

On the other hand, on a grand scale it would be wonderful if there weren't countries, or if every country in the world was unified in squashing armed conflict everywhere and immediately, if necessary by force. If the earth could successfully become one nation, no borders, no wars and a unified policy of everything, I'm sure that would be just grand.

But that's a fantasy. It won't work right now, and is unlikely to happen in the future until we reach Star Trek levels of omnipresent communism or some sort of actual (lol) technological singularity. It's like predicting the moon landing in 300 AD. We can't even imagine the prerequisites to such a thing nor the path leading to it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Also gently caress entropy. The second law of thermodynamics was such a bad idea.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mercrom posted:

Also gently caress entropy. The second law of thermodynamics was such a bad idea.

Yeah, repeal and replace.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Please don't switch to the Euro. I like my crowns, thanks.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
We should create a Scandinavian currency union just to spite the EU. We can call it Scandinavian crowns or Scrowns for short

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Fader Movitz posted:

We should create a Scandinavian currency union just to spite the EU. We can call it Scandinavian crowns or Scrowns for short

But then we would have to bail out whichever country becomes Greece of Scandinavia.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

White Rock posted:

But then we would have to bail out whichever country becomes Greece of Scandinavia.

Which we have already done with Iceland pretty much.
Anyway just make it so the first country to need a bail out becomes the lesser part of Kalmarunionen 2.0

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

To add some real content to the Euro debate, here's the latest opinion poll about adopting the Euro by SCB

Fader Movitz fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 23, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fader Movitz posted:

Just call it Riksdaler again. It works in both Swedish, Danish and Norwegian.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mercrom posted:

You're one of those types who think globalization is inevitable then?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

You're one of those types who think globalization is inevitable then?

No I think we can uninvent boats.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Globalization isn't inevitable and doesn't required the un-invention of boats.
http://www.abounderrattelser.fi/news/2015/04/nu-finns-fem-myter-om-finlands-ekonomi-pa-natet.html

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

You linked 78 pages on why neoliberalism bad I'm not gonna read it all partly because I know already.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's all the effort I am gonna bother with.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Well I care slightly more than the guy who just wants to yell at clouds so I found the thing you were talking about in literally the last chapter and it's just the same old gently caress you got mine protectionism mixed with the kind of economic anecdotes all economists love to use.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wild Horses posted:

Never trust a german. Merkel is just the new chancellor, instead of iron its money but same really
Germans are the Hitlers of politics.

Collateral Damage posted:

Just call it Riksdaler again. It works in both Swedish, Danish and Norwegian.
gently caress off with your k's Swede.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Yeah, this will probably sit well with the few remaining MP voters.

https://www.svd.se/fridolin-oppnar-for-ny-mp-regering-efter-valet--med-c-och-l/om/det-nya-politiska-laget

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

MP race to the 4% spärren...
Pretty risky to bet on C keeping their gains in the polls too.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Grevling posted:

Didn't know you had new banknotes so I went to riksbank.se to have a look. I was most impressed by this page though:
http://www.riksbank.se/en/Press-and-published/Press/Press-photos/Gold/

Awww yeah. Liked, tweeted, shared (Facebook+LinkedIn) and e-mailed.

Jag är huller_buller_high.jpg

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

White Rock posted:

If a Scandinavian country other than Iceland becomes a northern Greece we have a bigger problem than common currency, as that means we would have lost the basis of all our economies, reliable state apparatuses and general tax compliance. I mean yes, it could happen, but it would both take time and a dedicated effort to take us there from where we are right now, unless some ridiculous epic catastrophe falls upon our lands.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

changing voters and dumping the leftism seems like a good idea. hope they can make it

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wild Horses posted:

changing voters and dumping the leftism seems like a good idea. hope they can make it

They will likely parasitize their potential coalition partners then, which seem counterproductive if they aim to form a powerful coalition.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zudgemud posted:

If a Scandinavian country other than Iceland becomes a northern Greece we have a bigger problem than common currency, as that means we would have lost the basis of all our economies, reliable state apparatuses and general tax compliance. I mean yes, it could happen, but it would both take time and a dedicated effort to take us there from where we are right now, unless some ridiculous epic catastrophe falls upon our lands.
Yeah, in terms of government infrastructure, Greece is kind of lacking. Like, they're currently in the process of completing a cadastre (centralized registry of land ownership), something we've had for centuries. Which, seeing as that has historically been used to help tax collection, probably also indicates a more general lack of infrastructure in that area. Institutionally we'd probably need a devastating Russian invasion followed by decades under Russian-backed strongmen to get close to where Greece is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

White Rock posted:

But then we Norway would have to bail out whichever country becomes Greece of Scandinavia.

I mean, let's be real.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Indeed.
Especially as MP have taken a turn to the left under Fridolin, which have lost them their middle voters.
The only winner of a coalition like that would be S.
For L and C it would be like drinking from a poisoned chalice.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
(Hej jag är en normal människa med normala åsikter.)
                                            /

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jag tycker det är ganska gulligt att han åsiktsreglerar sig själv genom att vrida och vända runt i sitt resonemang om hur detta egentligen handlar om fri debatt och individuella val istället för att bara rakt ut säga att han helt enkelt inte tror på miljöhotet. Annars skulle ju kanske den välkänt vänstervridna institutionen Timbro straffa honom för hans avvikande åsikter. :ironicat:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

(Hej jag är en normal människa med normala åsikter.)
                                            /

News at 10: School is used as a tool for indoctrination.
Gee, I am surprised.
Apparently works rather bad in Sweden, considering that SD is overrepresented among young people.
Also more extreme political movements (right-wing, left-wing, islamists) are generally present at higher percentages among younger people.
It is almost like young people are inexperienced and have little to no experience with life outside of school. What horror.....

As for the teachers, if one would look at Riksdagen in Sweden and the members, there are 2 parties which have teachers as their most common profession before ending up in Riksdagen.
The 2 parties are L and V.
Hands up anyone who is surprised by that?
This have been the case for at least 30-40 years, so it have apparently worked out just fine.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's clearly just about the climate denial.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

It's clearly just about the climate denial.

It's about ethics in our schools.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

For best results you start out with a pine tree and remove the bark from parts of the tree, not enough to kill it, but to "injure" it, this increases sap formation in the wood, which is what you want. Do this for 2-5 years. Tree stumps and roots are also great sources if you don't want to spend that much time.

Last summer they had a big traditional tar burn going nearby me.

I know nobody actually cares about making pine tar. But I do and that's good enough for me.
So here's an article in a local paper detailing traditional manufacturing of pine tar. I am gonna be there this July and watch this.
https://issuu.com/visitnarpes/docs/visitn__rpes_2017_sv_webb

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I care. Checkmate.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Inger Støjberg knowingly issued an illegal instruction against the recommandations of her officials. The issue was separating couples in asylum centers based on age disparity. Previously, each case had been evaluated individually as the law required, and anyone underage was of course separated outright. Støjberg forced the separation of anyone under 18 without review. She was told by her subordinates that this was illegal, in breach of international conventions and existing Danish law, but proceeded regardless. The Ombudsman has strongly criticised the move and experts in administrative law are calling it a very serious, impeachable offense, comparing it to the Tamil-case of yore. This would rest on her immunity being revoked by parliament, so of course it's not going to happen, because the Danish People's Party is fine with literally anything, as long as it somehow hurts refugees (such as a lot of couples aged 17 to 19). The Liberal spokesman on immigration, Marcus Knuth, has said that the opposition must just like child brides and that it's okay for a Minister to "follow her own moral compass", even if it goes against the law, roundly ignoring the fact that these couples were already being separated as required based on individual evaluation, that the issue is her knowingly instructing subordinates to break the law.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/dnipsos-raset-fortsatter-for-m/

quote:

Moderaternas väljarstöd fortsätter att krympa. Partiet får 15 procent i DN/Ipsos majmätning. Det betyder att partiet är rejält frånåkt av Sverigedemokraterna och nästan jämsides med Centern.

Bara vid ett enda tillfälle sedan DN/Ipsos mätningar började 1979 har Moderaternas väljarstöd skattats lika lågt som nu. Det var i oktober 2002, månaden efter Bo Lundgrens katastrofval. På ett år har Moderaterna tappat 10 procentenheter i väljarstöd, från 25 procent i maj 2016 till 15 i dag.

Mätningen visar att Miljöpartiet däremot ligger under spärren och är jämnstort med Feministiskt initiativ

Election year is looking to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Inger Støjberg knowingly issued an illegal instruction against the recommandations of her officials. The issue was separating couples in asylum centers based on age disparity. Previously, each case had been evaluated individually as the law required, and anyone underage was of course separated outright. Støjberg forced the separation of anyone under 18 without review. She was told by her subordinates that this was illegal, in breach of international conventions and existing Danish law, but proceeded regardless. The Ombudsman has strongly criticised the move and experts in administrative law are calling it a very serious, impeachable offense, comparing it to the Tamil-case of yore. This would rest on her immunity being revoked by parliament, so of course it's not going to happen, because the Danish People's Party is fine with literally anything, as long as it somehow hurts refugees (such as a lot of couples aged 17 to 19). The Liberal spokesman on immigration, Marcus Knuth, has said that the opposition must just like child brides and that it's okay for a Minister to "follow her own moral compass", even if it goes against the law, roundly ignoring the fact that these couples were already being separated as required based on individual evaluation, that the issue is her knowingly instructing subordinates to break the law.

V's attempt to spin any opposition to this as "OH YOU MUST BE PRO CHILD BRIDES HUUUUH?" is so transparent and should be ripped to shreds.