Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

i am starting to wonder if hannity is having a glenn-beck esque mental collapse where the mask finally started wearing him and he really just needs a straitjacket and a padded cell

The world isn't that just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Red Oktober posted:

I'm loving the new picture on his twitter.

You can just hear him thinking "How did they manage to get you funded? Tell me all, wall."

Ah-haha, he cropped out the yarmulke.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Red Oktober posted:

I'm loving the new picture on his twitter.

You can just hear him thinking "How did they manage to get you funded? Tell me all, wall."

The same way the new one will be

Slave labor

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Hey did Trump refer to the Manchester bombing as a "terrorist act" or do we not care about words any more?

He declared that he's going to call them "losers" now to make them feel bad about themselves.

I'm reasonably certain I have that right.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Hannity was never some clever grifter. He was a low level, failure of a radio host who couldn't hold a job because he was terrible and had abhorrent views when Roger Ailes picked him out of obscurity and gave him a TV show. He's a true believer who got lucky.

Hannity was a drivetime talk show host in Atlanta in the 90's and from what I remember he was tolerable. Heck, I listened to him until probably 2006 when it became apparent even to my Republican ears that this guy was a loving idiot.

Hopefully his steadfast defense of Trump will put a sour taste in his sponsors' mouths.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Hannity was never some clever grifter. He was a low level, failure of a radio host who couldn't hold a job because he was terrible and had abhorrent views when Roger Ailes picked him out of obscurity and gave him a TV show. He's a true believer who got lucky.
I dunno, there are some people who have said that Hannity would absolutely bark for the other side if the money was significantly better.

Although I have to imagine that, at some point, you start to become the mask.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't think it's a lot of leftists. It's just a small cabal of really bad ones. But yeah it's about not wanting democrats to win the wrong way. And also the legitimate fear they'll be called out for kneecapping Clinton when she went hard on this during the campaign. The Jimmy Dores of the world see the writing on the wall here, but they're still clinging to the hope this is all a deep state conspiracy or a delusion of the bad bad neoliberal democrats.

I assume it's one of those leftists who gave you your custom title

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spun Dog posted:

Exactly, that was when my wife started yelling "What the gently caress?

Yup exactly -- the Ukraine giveaway was the first clear "tell."

That said, there's a big difference between that and what we got from Brennan today. There's "that looks shaky" vs "sworn testimony from an official in a position to know, making a clear statement"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, Bill O'Reilly gets fired, Roger Ailes dies, Tucker Carlson plows Fox's ratings into the basement, and now Sean Hannity might quit in a screaming huff over a literal fake news conspiracy? Is there a term for a hat-trick where the team just keeps getting scored on? :allears:

The correct answer is: A Vancouver Canucks game, but anyway

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

God, Bill O'Reilly gets fired, Roger Ailes dies, Tucker Carlson plows Fox's ratings into the basement, and now Sean Hannity might quit in a screaming huff over a literal fake news conspiracy? Is there a term for a hat-trick where the team just keeps getting scored on? :allears:

lol, I was actually in Vancouver for when they lost the Stanley Cup a few years ago, poo poo was crazy

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

He declared that he's going to call them "losers" now to make them feel bad about themselves.

Remember when we thought this would be his Reichstag fire?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hannity was a drivetime talk show host in Atlanta in the 90's and from what I remember he was tolerable. Heck, I listened to him until probably 2006 when it became apparent even to my Republican ears that this guy was a loving idiot.

Hopefully his steadfast defense of Trump will put a sour taste in his sponsors' mouths.

From what I remember (its been awhile since I read up on any of this) he got that job because he was driven off a college radio station by a local chapter of the ACLU for saying vile poo poo and then bounced around to a couple of different markets branding himself as a Howard Stern-esque controversy grabber. Then Ailes grabbed him from there and established him with Fox News.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

I think you mean "remember when a bunch of idiots in the thread last night thought this would be his Reichstag fire?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Today's leak. It's just Trump Is A Bad President not Trump Is The Worst Criminal Of All Time:

https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/867155091089960961

quote:

Trump’s call with Duterte, during which he extended an invitation to visit him at the White House, was met with skepticism from some foreign policy analysts and human rights groups. Since taking office in June, Duterte has moved to hedge on the Philippines’ long-standing defense alliance with the United States by establishing closer relations with China. And his administration has overseen a brutal extrajudicial campaign that has resulted in the killings of thousands of suspected drug dealers.

Trump has not spoken out against that strategy, and in their call he praised Duterte for doing an “unbelievable job on the drug problem.”

“Many countries have the problem, we have the problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that,” Trump said, according to the transcript.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

lol, I was actually in Vancouver for when they lost the Stanley Cup a few years ago, poo poo was crazy

Hah. I know. I would walk around my job playing Chelsea Dagger on my phone to troll the gently caress out of everyone. What a time to be alive. (And I was a Nucks fan at the time too)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fulchrum posted:

No, because I purposely ignored the thread for the better part of a day to avoid the covoking. Then I checked back in this afternoon to find the thread closed and imagined the worst.

Except that I hung around long enough to decide I like that made up word.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

NikkolasKing posted:

I sometimes sit back and wonder "am I being unfair? Perhaps my side has gone too far and the other side has a point."

Then I see poo poo like this and I'm reminded why I could never, ever vote Republican unless the entire party was reformed from the ground up.

The Swiftboating of John Kerry was the final straw that drove me away from the Republican party (always been independent but grew up in a R household and defaulted to conservative positions). The character assassination of a veteran and the purple heart band-aid bullshit shocked me in a way that didn't really manifest again until the party finally completely lost its mind over Obama. As terrible and craven as that seemed at the time, that stuff is all unremarkable Republican SOP now.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yup exactly -- the Ukraine giveaway was the first clear "tell."

That said, there's a big difference between that and what we got from Brennan today. There's "that looks shaky" vs "sworn testimony from an official in a position to know, making a clear statement"

"He said the word 'no' and at some point later on he said the word 'evidence.' No evidence! Checkmate libtard :smugdon:"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fart City posted:

Ah-haha, he cropped out the yarmulke.

:stare:

One more item for "I am probably in a coma hallucinating this timeline".

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

No, because I purposely ignored the thread for the better part of a day to avoid the covoking. Then I checked back in this afternoon to find the thread closed and imagined the worst.

It needs an emote.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

STAC Goat posted:

It wasn't that bad, just a couple of the usual suspects. More people in here were freaking out that the Time's Square car crash would be Trump's Reichstag Fire.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Huh I thought Islam was a religion of peace ? Checkmate libcucks :smugdog:

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/866711448411570176

The neo-nazis conspiring to build bombs was just hurt-locker-room talk.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

It needs an emote.

there is, it's :derp:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It wasn't that bad, just a couple of the usual suspects. More people in here were freaking out that the Time's Square car crash would be Trump's Reichstag Fire.

Yeah, its just sort of my pattern. When one of these tragedies happens I tend to turn off the news because I hate the way they wallow in it and didn't need that for my personal sanity and emotional health. And then I tend to avoid places like this until the "OH GOD! ITS ALL OVER!" dies down.

I'll do the same (avoiding the thread, maybe not the news) when/if Ossoff and the Montana guy lose. Its best for my health and keeps me from saying something I regret.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

STAC Goat posted:

I'd like to just crap on him but the fact is he's been raking in money on Fox for 20 years :shrug: He sucks incredibly hard but it's not accurate to call him a "failure".

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

there is, it's :derp:

No, it's a little different. Less panicking, more just mopey. Closer to :emo:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd like to just crap on him but the fact is he's been raking in money on Fox for 20 years :shrug: He sucks incredibly hard but it's not accurate to call him a "failure".

Well I said he WAS a failure. Obviously once Ailes plucked him out of obscurity (and by Hannity's own admission he was terrible and didn't deserve the job) he found a 20 year home and has done well for him grifting off the machine. But he didn't work his way into that spot or anything. It was just right place, right time stuff. It happens.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Discussion Quorum posted:

"He said the word 'no' and at some point later on he said the word 'evidence.' No evidence! Checkmate libtard :smugdon:"

Now I want to see Fox News put up a blatantly edited clip of that. A set of "There is." "No." "Evidence" with obvious jump cuts between the clips.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Apparently Hannity has been looking at quitting Fox / gradually being forced off by the Murdoch bros. for a while now:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/hannity-fox-news-leaving-threats-bill-shine-rupert-murdoch-1202078870/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/01/sean-hannity-eyes-fox-news-exit-insiders-say

quote:

Sean Hannity is looking to leave Fox News, according to sources, following the resignation of Fox News co-president Bill Shine officially on Monday.
Shine was Hannity’s long-time ally whom he personally recommended the network hire two decades ago to produce Hannity & Colmes. In recent days, Hannity warned it would be the “total end” of Fox News should Shine leave, and he rallied conservative activists to back him up.
Initially, insiders said, Hannity’s army of lawyers had hoped to discuss with Fox ways of protecting his 8-year-old primetime show, amid fears that Lachlan and James Murdoch—fresh off the ousting of Bill O’Reilly—were looking to push the network away from hard-right politics.
However, with Shine’s departure on Monday, one source told The Daily Beast, there’s no reason for Hannity to stay.
“The network now belongs to the Murdoch sons,” another Fox insider said after learning that Shine was gone.
One insider speculates that the negotiations could end this week and Hannity might be out by Friday. Another said his final show could even be tonight or Tuesday evening, given Shine’s Monday resignation.
Fox News, however, said in a statement speaking on behalf of Hannity and the network: “This is completely untrue.”

I think we all know what that means by now :eng101:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

nine-gear crow posted:

I believe you meant Germany v. Brazil in the 2014 World Cup.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flesh Forge posted:

Apparently Hannity has been looking at quitting Fox / gradually being forced off by the Murdoch bros. for a while now:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/hannity-fox-news-leaving-threats-bill-shine-rupert-murdoch-1202078870/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/01/sean-hannity-eyes-fox-news-exit-insiders-say

I think we all know what that means by now :eng101:

Yeah, there was a reportedly a small civil war at Fox News over Bill Shine and Hannity was on the losing end of that. He was very public about how he thought people inside Fox News were destroying it and making it into a whole new place and that if Shine went it would be the end of Fox News as its always been. Like, not only on Twitter but on his own show he'd talk about how most of Fox News is "fake news" too. So when Shine was fired everyone kind of held their breath waiting for the next shoe to drop, but the immediate word was Hannity was staying put.

But its pretty clear Hannity's lost a lot of allies at Fox and has probably burned some bridges the last few months. If the ratings continue to crash him and Tucker would probably be options A and B for heads to roll, but Hannity could play himself out of it with stuff like this. Tucker seems to be a good soldier.

But I doubt he will. Hannity is an egomaniac above all else and I don't imagine he'll voluntarily give up his biggest platform. Even if he is a true believer who thinks Fox News is the enemy now.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Would be nice if they up and fired him before he gets another appearance on their network. Make him find his own platform to air his grievances.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I believe you meant Germany v. Brazil in the 2014 World Cup.

For anyone who isn't familiar, with bonus commentary from Jim Ross: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvGh0x0wUwY

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, there was a reportedly a small civil war at Fox News over Bill Shine and Hannity was on the losing end of that. He was very public about how he thought people inside Fox News were destroying it and making it into a whole new place and that if Shine went it would be the end of Fox News as its always been. Like, not only on Twitter but on his own show he'd talk about how most of Fox News is "fake news" too. So when Shine was fired everyone kind of held their breath waiting for the next shoe to drop, but the immediate word was Hannity was staying put.

But its pretty clear Hannity's lost a lot of allies at Fox and has probably burned some bridges the last few months. If the ratings continue to crash him and Tucker would probably be options A and B for heads to roll, but Hannity could play himself out of it with stuff like this. Tucker seems to be a good soldier.

But I doubt he will. Hannity is an egomaniac above all else and I don't imagine he'll voluntarily give up his biggest platform. Even if he is a true believer who thinks Fox News is the enemy now.

If memory serves most of even Fox despises Hannity for being a raging rear end in a top hat but his ratings were too good to fire him for a long drat time. For his part yeah he lucked into the position but all he really had to do was scream about liberals/Muslims/terrorists/Obama all day without saying anything too crazy (like, say, :beck: ) and he'd be fine.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Infuriatingly, someone on NPR was patting his fat rear end about this phrasing today, because it makes the situation "understandable to kids". It was some expert on how to talk about terrorist attacks with your kids, but the host was nodding and salivating right along.

Overall NPR has really been pissing me off the past few days, especially about the pres' overseas trip. I know they can't be the all-Trump-criticism-all-the-time station but goddamnit, they should be.

They did talk about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen a bit today but they barely touched on how the Saudi arms deal is going to directly cause a massive loss of life in that hosed-up shithole of a situation. I'm irritated that there's been barely any media coverage of that when everybody's been so rear end-patty about the trip or focused on :orb:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves most of even Fox despises Hannity for being a raging rear end in a top hat but his ratings were too good to fire him for a long drat time. For his part yeah he lucked into the position but all he really had to do was scream about liberals/Muslims/terrorists/Obama all day without saying anything too crazy (like, say, :beck: ) and he'd be fine.

Yeah, Hannity has a long reputation of being the most hated member of his own guild. I believe a couple of years ago he lost his poo poo because someone did a survey of journalists and they overwhelmingly agreed he was the least respectable of them. And there were always random things I saw of him warring with O'Reilly and Kelly behind the scenes.

He had really strong allies in Ailes and Shine and their departures theoretically leave him vulnerable. Although it was kind of unclear since Tucker and The Five moving into Primetime kind of signals a move towards Hannity's kind of thing. They've been pushing the Seth Rich stuff too. But they'll probably stop now that Fox News has retracted it while Hannity seems intent to double down. Which is kind of why he's hated.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 24, 2017

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

lol is this new

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

lol is this new

The orb is eternal, friend.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

I prefer the Washington Capitals in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

lol is this new

It's from the CSPAM thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
Now that the White House has released it's proposed budget, I wonder how many Trump voters are now going to see what Trump is as just another political huckster. But then the cynical side of me realizes that most of them are too stupid to understand the realities of these bills and are so focused on stupid poo poo like deporting Mexicans and building THAT GATDANG WALL.

• Locked thread